Metal Storm logo
Wizard

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 31.07.2006 - 17:19
German power metal band Wizard never get mentioned much compared to other bands, at least they dont from where I am sitting.
I therefore actually dont have any idea how many people know or like them, or what peoples opinions on them are other then some people think they are nothing special and dont bring anything new into their albums.

I guess that does have some truth to it though - they are not such a different band compared to others, but does that really matter if they play good music?
I think they sound like early Blind Guardian even though on this site it is Helloween that has them under similar bands and not Blind Guardian

So any people out there that do know them or want to get to know them - pop in here and leave a message.

I have all of their albums apart from the newest one. I dont know which is my favorite though - they all have their good points.
If i had to pick one though, it would probably be 'Head Of The Deciever' - they are all good albums though and worth getting in to.
04.08.2006 - 20:48
Susan
Smeghead
Thanks Baz, after seeing this topic and seeing the name "Wizard" in several places lately I decided to just finally listen to them. I found song samples on several myspace fan pages and am pretty impressed! Some songs are better than others but I've decided to give them a try. I think I'll start with "Son of Darkness" and move forward (instead of starting with the latest and moving back like I usually do). I enjoyed the songs from their earlier periods more (like The sign of the Wizard) than, say, "Death Is My Life" from the latest album. The drumming from that one is getting on my nervs
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.08.2006 - 20:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Yeah, another fan! Whoopdidoo! They deserve it!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.08.2006 - 21:26
Baz Anderson

haha woooo. you dont know how fulfilling hat is to hear! - they should employ me. haha
i am so glad you like them, if you are starting with the earlier stuff though, watch out because i dont think Nervel is a big fan of the early stuff - so maybe it isnt as likeable as i thought it would have been for others
but yeh. woooo - keep us posted here every time you get an album adn what you think of it, etc. etc.

haha, ive gone into 'smug mode' now
06.08.2006 - 20:55
Bas
Retired Staff
hehe, seems like it was a good thing to add Wizard as simialar band in a few bandprofiles XD
i personally have Odin and Magic Circle as original cd, both are extremely good, nothing special at all where originality is concerned, but that what they do they do extremely well IMO, i also have 4 songs from Son Of Darkness ( son of darkness, lovesong, death or glory, dawn of evil ) and i think all 4 are very bad compared to magic circle, and terrible compared to odin, maybe i just got the wrong songs, but i dont like them at all,

and Baz, if you want i can send you the magic circle album
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
06.08.2006 - 20:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ah yes, I don't like Son Of Darkness too. But Odin is magnificent.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.08.2006 - 21:17
Baz Anderson

i just got 'Magic Circle' finally this afternoon - i havent watched it yet tough because a film was on TV
i will definatly listen to it later tonight though
06.08.2006 - 21:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Baz Anderson on 06.08.2006 at 21:17

i just got 'Magic Circle' finally this afternoon - i havent watched it yet tough because a film was on TV
i will definatly listen to it later tonight though

I'm confused, is it a DVD or a CD?
----

06.08.2006 - 21:21
Baz Anderson

haha woops!
i mean i havent listened to it yet because i was watching a film
haha, i always do stuff like that. i dont mean to though obviously
it was Princess Mononoke by the way. haha
06.08.2006 - 21:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Don't know it. Is it good? *off-topicness.. we have a habit of that. *

Anyway, I might buy Odin, if only I could find it. I have money, but do I rather want Exodus or Wizard.. Hard....
----

06.08.2006 - 21:29
Baz Anderson

haha yes - it is a fantastic Japanese animé film from Mayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli about how humans suck the life out of the planet
its a long film - a very special film too

you could look on amazon.
i would never be able to get half the stuff i have if it wasnt for amazon.
toss a coin or something, the new Exodus album is fantastic as well!!
06.08.2006 - 21:36
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Dude, this must have been about the longest dialog I've ever had on MS! We're almost on our own!
Hmm.. about the movie, the idea sounds interesting, but I'm not too fond of Animé. Better gimme Hentai.

Hmm, I might give it a shot at my local CD-store. They can order pretty much everything. Maybe I'll jsut buy both, I mean, you live only once. I'll figure it out, one way or another.
----

06.08.2006 - 21:42
Baz Anderson

haha well it isnt illegal is it
hentai is a differnet subject completley. hahaha

yees, do some jobs around home or wash cars or something for some extra money so you can get both. haha
i will have to give 'Odin' another listen though because i have only listened to it once and it didnt leave such a fantastic impression as everyone else seems to like it
it takes me a while absorb albums though, so i am sure i will love it soon
im going to get listening to 'Magic Circle' in about quarter of an hour - so i am looking forward to that
06.08.2006 - 21:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Err no. I already have a job, not looking for more. I'll have to wait till the end of the month for my payement though. Let's hope I gave them the correct bank-account number.

Do listen to Odin again!
----

06.08.2006 - 22:01
Baz Anderson

haha ooh. i dont have a job, i have just finished college and should be going to university in a months time
all the money i got over the past two years was from the government because my family is poor and i was in full time education
its supposed to be used for books, etc. but i just baught albums and such things..

ive just started 'Magic Circle' now - 'Fire and Blood' - this is one that was on myspace
its always good to hear a song with fast plodding bass drums. haha
06.08.2006 - 22:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Hmm, that's true. Bass drums are good.

I'm sure that if you will tell the goverment that you need money for CD's, they will double-fund you.
----

06.08.2006 - 22:09
Baz Anderson

haha well they have stopped now
its all student loans and grants from now on. im going to have to live off basic rations, etc. and be a stereotypical student. haha
at least i have all my music ripped onto my computer as well so i wont be away from that, as i will be moving out as well
06.08.2006 - 22:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ah, that's good thing. Though having music on your pc is not all, but hey, one has gotta do it;s best, no?

*this all clearly relates to Wizard. *

Anyway, we might shut up. We gotta give people a chance to listen to them, this thread might get locked like this.
----

06.08.2006 - 22:20
Baz Anderson

haha yes. i dont want my thread to me locked, it would be my first ever
so lets say something about Wizard. haha

i cant get ahold of 'Son Of Darkness' anywhere i mean to buy..
it must be out of print, etc. not even any second hand ones on amazon or anywhere though. not where i looked
i can get all the others though but maybe when i have a bit more money

this album is sounding alright. most of it is probably going over my head though because my mind is trying to do lots of different things
i will be sure to give it another listen soon after though
..ooh - the start of this song sounds good. 'Metal' - dont you just love songs about metal!
06.08.2006 - 22:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Which album are you refering to in the last part?

Urgh. Never try e-bay. I did some searches for you, in the rare case you forgot. Type in 'Wizard' and you will get a SHITLOOOOAAAD' of different stuff. Type in 'Son Of Darkness' and you get about 40924572344 limited rare picture dics of Immortal.

That's not nice.
----

06.08.2006 - 22:33
Baz Anderson

haha yes with the whole 'Sons Of Northern Darkness' thing. ill have to listen to that again some time
but oh well

i am still listening to 'Magic Circle' - i am just over half way through now and it seems like its a pretty solid album
very good indeed
06.08.2006 - 22:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Good. You can probably tell me, since you have heard more Wizard then I have.

To me, SOF and Odin are totally different. Productionwise, quality too. But do I also hear a change of styles?
When I listen first to 'Rain Of Death' and then to 'The Powergod', then it are two completely different bands.

Do you hear this two, am I compairing the wrong songs, or did they change style. And if so, when?
----

06.08.2006 - 22:45
Baz Anderson

yeh, they are quite different arent they. i guess they just progressed with their sound and the members learned to actually play their instruments better - so they could then actually play stuff like 'The Powergod'
i dont know of any changes the band had with drummers or anything so i just presume he learned to play a lot faster
the first album sounds a lot more heavy metal as well compaed to these newer albums. these newer ones are definatly a lot more 'power metal' which is a good thing
i prefer these newer albums too, but i do still like their first albums
06.08.2006 - 22:46
Bas
Retired Staff
Odin is the album that is out of style here, it has a much more powermetal approach compared to their other heavymetal ("truemetal") albums, Magic Circle is heavymetal again though, however less oldschoolish then Son Of Darkness
----
06.08.2006 - 22:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@Baz Anderson. That can be possible. I mean, there's 8 years inbetween those albums.

@Bas2. Ok, then I guess I like their Power metal better than their Heavy.
----

06.08.2006 - 22:54
Baz Anderson

well i am nearly finished with 'Magic Circle' and then i will have heard all of them
i think this album is still a strong power metal album - it sounds more power metal then traditional heavy to me defnatly
i mean the first track - 'Fire And Blood' is chug chug chug on the bass drums streight away like a good old power metal song
ill have to listen to it again to get a better perception of it though
06.08.2006 - 23:03
Bas
Retired Staff
it is still partly powermetal, but i personally would rather class it as a heavymetal cd then a powermetal cd, but it clearly has elements of both in it, just like in Odin, but in Odin the powermetal elements were more dominant and the heavymetal ones less
----
07.08.2006 - 23:12
Baz Anderson

yeh. i listened to 'Odin' again today - well most of it anyway, i kinda fell asleep towards the end. i was kinda tired. haha
but yeh, i have a much much higher opinion of it now. i am also listening to 'Magic Circle' again right now and am enjoying it a lot too
'Odin' maybe is a bit more of a power metally album, but they are both good and powerful. these two and 'Head Of The Deceiver' are definatly my favorites
08.08.2006 - 11:07
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
Two Ravens at his shoulders.
Two wolves at his feet.
He is the lord of the Golden Hall.
Is the god of wisdom, is the god of rage
GOD OF UNITY AND WAR!!!!!
ODIN..THe POWER GOD!!!!

Yea, that was super fun when I was 14. But man, these guys are retarded.
I guess they can say that Hammerfall ripped them off and they deserve all the fame, but why would anyone ever admit that they created that kinda sound? I do admit they have the catchiest music in power, unless you count Running Wild, which possibly has the catchiest metal ever. Anyway, Wizard really has no place in anyone's collection who has ever heard more than 2 power metal bands. Then again, there is A LOT worse you can find than Wizard in the genre.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
08.08.2006 - 12:09
Baz Anderson

oh come on - you can hardly call them retarded
if you dont like it ias much as something else it doesnt automatically make them retarded and only good for fourteen year olds
like you said - there are a lot worse bands out there
08.08.2006 - 19:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
What is wrong with being retarded? It can be lots of fun.
----