Album: For The Loveless Lonely Nights
Release date: October 1998

01. Starres
02. For Your Demons
03. Thou Art Free
04. Christ Goodbye [Live at Roskilde Festival '97]
05. Rise Of Nakkiel [Live at Roskilde Festival '97]
06. Consecration

After a magnificent debut album, "Paradise Belongs To You", which had an intense feeling of neo-folk concerning its atmosphere, Saturnus managed to return 2 years later with an EP, "For the Loveless Lonely Nights". The aesthetic of the album is deeply mourning and utterly melancholic and thus no other title would fit better such a beautiful piece of emotional music. The funereal black/white cover harmonizes wonderfully with both the title and the feeling of the album and prepares the listener of what will follow.

As I said above, this EP moves in neo-folk oriented doom/death metal soundscapes and this is the reason why Saturnus up to then had quite a personal sound, because the neo-folk references were making their personal approach more intense. Just listen to "For Your Demons" and if you don't think it is a pure neo-folk composition bringing forth memories of Sol Invictus then you're either deaf or you don't want to accept it. Also, "Consecration" is an ambient/neo-folk atmospheric piece ending the album in the most ideal and dark way and "Thou Art Free" that appears on their second release as well in its purest neo-folk version, is pretty much neo-folk oriented, not so much in the musical interpretation but in its structure And what about the different version of "Fall Of Nakkiel", which appears on "Paradise Belongs To You" and it is a Current 93 oriented composition, bearing the name "Rise Of Nakkiel" on this EP? It's another devout and atmospheric neo-folk piece with a bombastic atmosphere, isn't it?

So, as you can see 4 out of the 6 compositions that consist of "For The Loveless Lonely Nights" are one way or another neo-folk oriented. One of the two songs remaining is a wonderful live version of the renowned "Christ Goodbye" which seems to have a really good sound and a more devout feeling than the original version on their debut album. The members of the band pour themselves to the live interpretation of this doom/death metal opus making its quality, along with the good sound, reach high levels. The other one is the brand new, for the time being, "Starres", a really beautiful and intense ballad with its more powerful and heavier moments that escalate the emotional charge of the song! Still, after 7 years, it remains one of the most beautiful and fragile songs ever composed by Saturnus and it was an honour for me to have cherished what Saturnus and "Starres" mean live.

This EP is a must-have for all the fans of Saturnus not only because it has some new compositions, which are inspired and emotional, but because of its really unique and fragile atmosphere which evokes an esoteric feeling in the air.

Written on 21.12.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 50 users
07.01.2010 - 19:09
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I love this album, Christ goodbye in this album has a better performance than the studio track IMO. nice review. this album is one of their masterpiece just one of!
06.09.2011 - 01:07
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
My all time favorite EP , and forever will be
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.03.2017 - 13:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
And what is wrong whit neo folk? I wish you revieved next album to, its awesome. Really I agree about bit neo folk and calmness into this, a bit calmer way of singing to.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4913 | This month: 13