Poll

Which do you prefer?

Gamma Ray
Primal Fear

Total votes: 78
31.07.2006 - 17:43
Baz Anderson
staff
Now then. This is such a hard question for me to answer and probably will be for some others out there as well.

Lets just go through the history first though.
Kai Hansen leaves Helloween and starts Gamma Ray with Ralf Scheepers
The first three Gamma Ray albums are with Ralf on lead vocals, but then they decided Ralf should leave because he lived the other side of the country and so wasnt easy for the band to practise, etc.
Gamma Ray then goes on with Kai taking lead vocals and has made five more albums now like that.

Ralf out of Gamma Ray auditions for the position of new vocalist for Judas Priest - but doesnt quite get it losing out to Tim Owens - he did end up in the final three though so he did a good job.
So then Primal Fear is formed and have currently released six albums now.

Now to answering the question.
I have known and been into Gamma Ray much much longer then i have been Primal Fear
I cannot pick one best Gamma Ray album or say any area is better because i love 'Heading For Tomorrow' like i do 'No World Order'
Primal Fear have two albums less then Gamma Ray - but six is still quite a meaty number
its really hard to say which Primal Fear album is my favorite as well, but it is probably either 'Primal Fear' 'Nuclear Fire' or 'Seven Seals'

Primal Fear sound a lot like Judas Priest, especially the 'Painkiller' and 'Jugulator' albums and so have a lot of people going around just saying they are 'ripping Judas Priest off' and such - but their last two albums have been quite different and shows clearly they can make good music without sounding like another band

This is so hard though, I have known Gamma Ray longer then most other power metal bands I know, but I just havent listened to them much latley at all (apart from now, I have 'No World Order' on)
But I have been listening to Primal Fear a lot, and have been for a while now.
I spent so much money on my Gamma Ray albums as well - I got them at such an expensive price at £18 each - thats like 37 US dollars each for people who dont use pound sterling

I suppose I am going to have to plump for one though arent I - I cant really make a poll and not answer it myself.
When I started making this I think I was going to vote for Primal Fear, but I actually feel like voting for Gamma Ray now, so I will. purely because I have known them longer I guess.

But oh well - I am going to be very interested in what everyone else thinks!
31.07.2006 - 21:37
CrematorY
Account deleted
Gamma RAY all the WAY lol both are gr8, but i do preffer gamma ray more than most other bands...
31.07.2006 - 21:44
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
mmm...a hard one! Well, i prefer in vocals to ralf scheepers, and primal fear is a very good band, but Gamma have a killing carrer behind them, and his style is very like the first helloween, so Gamma is still the legendary band that create melodic/power metal, Primal is awesome... So, i think i can't decide...I vote for Primal Fear!!!yeaaah!
31.07.2006 - 23:43
DarkMistress
Gamma ray without doubt, they´re just so awesome, and i agree with Tezclatipoca, it´s in some way like the early helloween
----
Wait in fire
31.07.2006 - 23:44
Baz Anderson
staff
haha yeh, i didnt realise it would have actually been so hard to pick when i thought about making the poll
oh well, its pretty even at the moment - we'll just have to see how the other people vote
01.08.2006 - 16:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I vote Primal Fear, because how to say I dont like that cheesy power metal band Gamma Ray, Its I dont want spend money for CD, ebcause i cant listen it, ok shows are diferent, but Promal Fear, its more how speed and I like them, not all but some albums and songs
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.08.2006 - 16:14
Marcelo Hissa
Gamma Ray all the way... to those who vote Primal Fear, listen Power Plant and Land of the Free...
----
As the wind carried the deadly seed
to the minds of the doomed
they were gone for the stage of hell

01.08.2006 - 16:22
danzig111
Account deleted
Definately Gamma Ray, they have that awesome 'RockStar' sound yet make it sooo Metal! Plus Kai Hansen is class!

But Primal Fear......i never got into them, i find they lack the feeling what Gamma Ray have anyways.
03.08.2006 - 17:03
Baz Anderson
staff
The Priest Ray: well i nearly voted for Primal Fear and i own all of Gamma Ray's albums and know them inside out
Primal Fear are different from Gamma Ray - people can easily like either band more
'Land Of The Free' has always been one of my least favorite Gamma Ray albums as well. 'Heading For Tomorrow' 'Insanity & Genius' 'Somewhere Out In Space' 'Powerplant' and 'No World Order' are my favorites
haha thats nearly all of them
10.08.2006 - 19:06
Graveshift
i would say primal fear myself but then again i have not heard much gamma ray .. from what i have heard the choice is clear to me .. that is not to say that there are not many many many other songs/albums from these two bands that may make me tumble and roll from one decision to the other, when/if i heard them, but for now haha i say primal fear . . .
----
"We are the sons of a new millenium!!"
10.08.2006 - 21:46
Baz Anderson
staff
Graveshift: when i get more CDs ill have to put all the Gamma Ray albums on one and send you that
you know how much i love Primal Fear (i am listening to them now - haha) so you must think Gamma Ray must be good for my to pick them over them
11.08.2006 - 04:25
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Gamma Ray,because Kai Hansen is a god
11.08.2006 - 13:51
Baz Anderson
staff
care to explian why he is a 'god'?
his Helloween stuff? Gamma Ray stuff? his dashing good looks?
hahaha, im only joking with that last one
17.08.2006 - 08:59
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.08.2006 at 13:51

care to explian why he is a 'god'?
his Helloween stuff? Gamma Ray stuff? his dashing good looks?
hahaha, im only joking with that last one

Yes,I suppose I should explain my last post,cant remember why I didn't,must of been the last post before I went to bed haha.Well anyway,he is what many could call the father of power metal,and a very influential,if not the most influential european metal guitarist.He also started 2 very good bands (I also believe he had a hand in the starting of Iron Saviour) Helloween and Gamma Ray.So I hope I more than made up for the lack of my last past,or at least made up for it.
17.08.2006 - 11:19
Baz Anderson
staff
well it didnt matter that much
i am glad though - because how i see things, Kai never gets enough credit from starting up Helloween and then leaving and starting up Gamma Ray
it feels to me like no one wants to try out Gamma Ray - or if they do, people have all these excuses why they dont like them and i dont understand why
Gamma Ray really doesnt get enough credit in my opinion
19.08.2006 - 00:43
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
I would most definitely vote for Primal Fear, but unfortunately I've been banned for 'giving too many ablums 10's', tchh!

I have listened to Land of the Free and Powerplant and I can say I definitely didn't enjoy them, I found them to be very ordinary in they way of metal...
19.08.2006 - 13:41
Baz Anderson
staff
oooh. i wondered why some people have been banned from rating albums and voting in polls

maybe you should give them another go in a while
when i first got into themi found their albums nothing special, but then they grew on me a lot!

i dont see what is so special about 'Land Of The Free' either, so dont judge them on that just because everyone else seems to think its the best thing they've done
have a listen to 'Powerplant' again and try 'No World Order' too!

if you like Ralf (which you probably do) then definatly give 'Insanity & Genius' and 'Heading For Tomorrow' a go
i cant see why you wouldnt like them..
20.08.2006 - 18:41
Baz Anderson
staff
woo. im going to see Primal Fear!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Random/bloodstockticket.jpg
not bothered about the second day though. im there for Primal Fear!
21.08.2006 - 05:37
Daru Jericho
Gamma Ray for me. Kai Hansen's voice is really good and I miss it not being on the Kiske-Deris Helloween albums so listening to Hansen vocals Gamma Ray is like listening to old Helloween. Primal Fear are great, but maybe too influenced by Judas Priest so in that circumstance Gamma Ray could be credited as more original (despite the Helloween connection?), I guess. Also, I perfer Gamma Ray's solos.

Still, both bands are awesome and I'd love to see both live. And on more thought, shouldn't this be Helloween vs Primal Fear? It's like having Iced Earth or Blind Guardian vs Demons And Wizards. Ralf Scheepers sang in both bands But still, you're poll, your decision. Have fun at Bloodstock, although I KNOW you will.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.08.2006 - 14:13
Baz Anderson
staff
haha yeeees i will
well yeh, i did it Gamma Ray and Primal Fear because of the Ralf Scheepers connection. ive already got a poll with Helloween in it so i thought id give them a rest. haha
Demons & Wizards is just like a side project but Primal Fear are a good strong band by themselves
02.10.2006 - 20:23
Baz Anderson
staff
look what i got..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/LJ/PFA.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/LJ/PFB.jpg

they played a really good show at Bloodstock
Ralf was getting all drunk on the stage drinking a bottle of white wine and everything
haha, it was really good
06.10.2006 - 01:24
danzig111
Account deleted
Holy shit this is an old thread! wow.....if i could go back in time I swear I would vote for Primal Fear! Yes they are Judas Priest impersonators but boy do they do it well!
06.10.2006 - 13:13
Baz Anderson
staff
haha yes, well ive been in that situation before
theres nothing you can do now though, i cant take your vote off or anything
i might sway that little more towards Primal Fear right now as well after the show at Bloodstock and everything else
18.11.2006 - 04:06
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I voted Primal Fear, Because I like them more than Gamma Ray. Why? hmm... I don't know, I find Primalfear more dinamic... More variated in their lyrics... I like them more.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.01.2007 - 20:34
alkatraz
Account deleted
Definitely Gamma Ray, their music just takes your head off, and Kai Hansen - amazing. Especialy Majestic this album is just that realy Majestic

P.s.
I like Primal Fear too, but still like Gamma Ray more
01.02.2007 - 00:39
Ultraraw
Account deleted
I voted for Gamma Ray,because their albums are brilliant
01.02.2007 - 01:59
APOHAKC
The Bard
Gamma Ray of cause, Primal Fear is so, so boring, all of their songs are same and Gamma Ray is so, so great, Kai Hansen is genious, all Gamma Ray albums are classics, they have their own sound, they have everything.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.02.2007 - 14:26
Judas
The Amputator
Gamma Ray all the way, Primal Fear never really did anything for me. Everything Kai Hansen touches turns to gold, and Ralf Scheepers, while cool, doesn't stand a chance against the God of Power Metal!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
08.03.2007 - 01:02
UpTheIrons666
I love Gamma Ray, and I laugh when all of my "Metal" friends have no idea who they are. Where I live, Gamma Ray is an obscure band, I think its hilarious because of how successful their career has been.
08.03.2007 - 01:06
Dirt pride
Account deleted
i would say Primal Fear , just because they are awesome live. but gamma ray are great.