Metal Storm logo
Do you think that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 01.08.2006 - 00:59
I beeing searching in many list the best guitar player of all times in almost every list in the number one is Jimmy Hendrix. I have a lot of videos of him and he is very talentous I most say. But the question is: Is he the best guitar player ever? Most of people says that yes but in my opinion there are guitar players in his level or even better in musical genres such as jazz and metal. In speed and tecnic for example I think that Michael Romeo (Symphony x), Kiko Loureiro (Angra) and John Petrucci are better than him. I actually don´t play guitar, I play keyboards but like everyone I can see the tecnic of a musician just by seing him. In jazz and classical music also there a lot of talentous guys that plays guitar in other level.
Do you think that Jimmy Hendrix is actually the best guitar player ever?
Or do you think that are better guitar players?
07.04.2012 - 04:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
The best guitarist is the one from Children of Bodom.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.04.2012 - 07:42
Branzig
Well...if you really play guitar then you know that NO ONE had as much raw and brilliant talent as Mr. James Marshall.

Watching him play live on videos...if something was out of tune he'd just bend it to pitch...even if it was a chord...that is total mastery of your instrument right there.

And all the ground he blazed with effects...yeah I would say he was not only best guitarist ever, but the most talented and he played with the most feeling too.
----
In Grind We Crust
07.04.2012 - 08:11
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.04.2012 at 04:47

The best guitarist is the one from Children of Bodom.

You mean that one guy
----
07.04.2012 - 08:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Nosurper on 07.04.2012 at 08:11
You mean that one guy

Ya man, you know the one!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.05.2012 - 14:28
marinBG
It's a simple question with a simple answer, no matter what name you insert into it (Hendrix, Laiho, DeLucia, Malmsteen, Petrucci and so on).

...and the answer is always going to be NO!

It's an impossible question.
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
07.05.2012 - 01:05
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Lies
----
04.06.2012 - 03:55
Mr. Blonde
Is Jimi the GOAT of all guitarists? No. Then who is? Well there isn't one.

There is no one guy that can be pointed to as the undeniable best guitarist ever. My only issue with Jimi is that he is a bit gimmicky and that is a big part of what got him over. He is certainly talented, but his persona is what catapulted him to fame more than anything. That said, Jimi had perhaps more influence than many others, but I'd argue that another Jimmy (Page) had an equal amount of influence. In fact I heard some of Page's influence just today. Someone in the recommend a new album thread mentioned the proggy OSI. That reminded me of an older song they did with Akerfeldt as guest vocals. The song either samples or replicates part of the Zeppelin song "No Quarter". So the guys from the 60's and 70's are going to have a ton of influence. But to single out any one of them as the very best overall player of all time is a bit of a stretch because there is a solid argument for quite a few.

I personally like Jeff Beck, I think he plays with such raw emotion that can't be duplicated with any sort of tech. Many of the effects that Beck produces are with just the hands that God gave him and he doesn't rely as heavily on special effects as many other great guitarists have. So as far as playing with feeling and having mastery over the instrument, Beck would be my choice above all others in that category.

Branzig mentioned Jim Marshall and that is a damn good choice too. I would have to concur that he was dramatically ahead of his time, and really paved the way for generations of players to come. He is remember more for the Stack than anything though, but his playing was very innovative as well.

While I can't pick one player to claim the throne, I can choose a different one for different aspects:

Innovation: James Marshall & Les Paul tied
Emotion: Jeff Beck
Mastery: Jeff Beck & James Marshall tied
Influence: Jimmy & Jimi tied
Passion: Carlos Santana
Virtuosity: Malmsteen
Technicality: Randy Rhoads
Ultimate Riffmaster: Tony Iomi
Rhythm guitar rock: Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Rhythm guitar metal: Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)
Harmonized Guitar work: KK Downing & Glen Tipton (Judas Priest)
Progressiveness: Steve Howe (YES)
Modern Progressiveness: Buckethead
Modern Innovation: Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine)
Modern influence: Eddie Van Halen (take a wild guess)
Modern virtuosity: Jeff Loomis (various bands)
Modern Riffmaster: Zakk Wylde (BLS, Ozzy)

Technical Best by Genre:
Classic Hard Rock: Jimmy Page (Led Zepp)
Modern Rock: Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys)
R&B: Elmore James
Thrash: Chris Polland & Marty Friedman tied (sorry I can't pick just one)
Prog: Either Petrucci or Daniel Gildenlow (the latter of Pain of Salvation)
Death: Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel)
Tech Death: Rand Burkey (Atheist)
Melodeath: Michael Amott (ArchEnemy, Carcass)
Power: Andre Olbrich (Blind Guardian)

Genre Kings (king being most notable, influential)
King of Classic Rock: Eric Clapton
Modern Rock: Dave Grohl (Foos)
King of R&B: BB King
King of Thrash: Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
King of Prog: John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
King of Death: Chuck Schuldiner
King of Melodeath: Michael Amott (Arch, Carcass)
King of Techdeath: Karl Sanders (Nile)
Kings of Wankery: Alexi Laiho & the guy from Necrophagist tied
King of Power: Kai Hanson (Helloween)

I could add more genres, but a number of which don't focus on guitar work that much.
04.06.2012 - 05:03
YureiYumi
Account deleted
I think there are many amazing guitar players out there. I agree with mr blonde for most of them.
and in my opinion, may sound absurd to some but i like jimi hendrix and rory gallagher the same.
23.06.2012 - 20:40
Da?bog
Radomir Mihajlovic Tocak is the best one there is...no doubt:p
----
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees whit your own reason and your own common sense...
23.06.2012 - 20:56
Hendrikse
Account deleted
This maybe a pretty biased opinion, but yes, he is. *hint hint*
03.07.2012 - 00:26
axelx666
Yes. do i really need to say more? ok i will

the dude was incredible, i've recently been getting into hendrix era stuff and . . . .

WAIT! you said greatest guitarest ever?
well back in the day. . .

no the greatest is:

MICHEAL ANGELO BALTIO!
(that is if we are going by the fastest)

now if we are going by skill then yes hendrix was the greatest and always will be.

(btw if chuck norris is so great why can't he play a guitar? BECAUSE HE ISN'T GREAT! ) thank you and goodnight!
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
03.07.2012 - 00:29
axelx666
Written by Mr. Blonde on 04.06.2012 at 03:55

sir...you win the award for MOST DETAILED EXPLANATION!

srsly. but great job
you really hit it on the nail.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
13.07.2012 - 23:02
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Best guitar player of all time is for me Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin.
----
greets,
kual21
07.09.2012 - 22:42
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

There is no one guy that can be pointed to as the undeniable best guitarist ever. My only issue with Jimi is that he is a bit gimmicky and that is a big part of what got him over. He is certainly talented, but his persona is what catapulted him to fame more than anything. That said, Jimi had perhaps more influence than many others.....

Branzig mentioned Jim Marshall and that is a damn good choice too. I would have to concur that he was dramatically ahead of his time, and really paved the way for generations of players to come. He is remember more for the Stack than anything though, but his playing was very innovative as well.

Um, James Marshall? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but wasn't Branzig talking about James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix?

You're talking as if they're two different people. Sorry to say it, but "gimmicky" Jimi and "dramatically ahead of his time," "very innovative" James Marshall are the same person.
----
10.09.2012 - 03:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Jaeryd on 07.09.2012 at 22:42

Um, James Marshall? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but wasn't Branzig talking about James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix?

You're talking as if they're two different people. Sorry to say it, but "gimmicky" Jimi and "dramatically ahead of his time," "very innovative" James Marshall are the same person.

Jim Marshall is not the same as James Marshall (Jimi Hendrix). JIm Marshall is the guitar player who became more famous for his amplification amps (you probably have heard of Marshall amps? )
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2012 - 08:42
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2012 at 03:55

Written by Jaeryd on 07.09.2012 at 22:42

Jim Marshall is not the same as James Marshall (Jimi Hendrix). JIm Marshall is the guitar player who became more famous for his amplification amps (you probably have heard of Marshall amps? )

He was originally referring to what Branzig said, which is as follows:
Written by Branzig on 07.04.2012 at 07:42

Well...if you really play guitar then you know that NO ONE had as much raw and brilliant talent as Mr. James Marshall.

James Marshall. Are we all talking about Jim Marshall or James Marshall Hendrix? I assumed that when he said "Mr. James Marshall" that he was talking about Jimi.

Jim Marshall, the one who started Marshall amps, was a drummer--not a guitarist. He made amps that ended up being used by Jimi Hendrix, but I'm pretty sure he didn't play guitar himself.

See: Jim Marshall
----
01.12.2012 - 15:44
megadeath13
Account deleted
I cant name the best guitarist but Jimi Hendrix for sure belongs to the best. His style inspired so many people.
03.12.2012 - 08:25
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Branzig on 07.04.2012 at 07:42

Watching him play live on videos...if something was out of tune he'd just bend it to pitch...even if it was a chord...that is total mastery of your instrument right there.

And all the ground he blazed with effects...yeah I would say he was not only best guitarist ever, but the most talented and he played with the most feeling too.

Exactly who are you referring to, James Marshall aka Jimi Hendrix or James Marshall the Founder of Marshall Amplification? You make no mention of Marshall Amps but at the same time nobody ever really refers to Jimi Hendrix by James Marshall, and James Marshall of Marshall Amplification was a drummer not a guitarist...

You sir, have got to be talking out your ass. Jim Marshall, Founder of Marshall Amplification, was a drummer not a guitarist.

At least one, but maybe both of you guys, are bullshitting like crazy and hoping not to get caught by somebody who knows better...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

03.12.2012 - 13:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Yeah he was a singer/drummer. SOmehow I typed guitar player hahahaha
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2012 - 22:55
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by psykometal on 03.12.2012 at 08:25

Exactly who are you referring to, James Marshall aka Jimi Hendrix or James Marshall the Founder of Marshall Amplification? You make no mention of Marshall Amps but at the same time nobody ever really refers to Jimi Hendrix by James Marshall, and James Marshall of Marshall Amplification was a drummer not a guitarist...

Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to get at, but I guess no one believed that I knew what I was talking about.
----
19.01.2013 - 14:16
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'm not a musician myself to really can't judge on technicality or so and I've seen a lot of names of guitar legends named here, but am I the only one who thinks Prince is one hell of an guitarist? I think his solo in Purple Rain is the best guitar solo in a ballad ever written and checking him shred the guitar on live footage, he seems to amaze me every single time.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
20.01.2013 - 00:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
All guitar players sucks, end of the story.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.01.2013 - 02:05
stupid noob
Account deleted
I won't lie, I have never listened to a full album of his stuff, but whenever someone is playing something by Hendrix I always like it. One time I was at a party with a good friend of mine and I asked him what this awesome song was, it had such an amazing vibe! Of course he said it was Hendrix and I just sat there listening to his guitar skills. I can't say who's the best because I'm a vocalist, not a guitarist. But Hendrix is definitely badass!
27.01.2013 - 08:35
squidrick420
Written by marinBG on 05.05.2012 at 14:28

It's a simple question with a simple answer, no matter what name you insert into it (Hendrix, Laiho, DeLucia, Malmsteen, Petrucci and so on).

...and the answer is always going to be NO!

It's an impossible question.

I was gonna say almost the exact same thing, but you beat me too it. There is no greatest, only those who are great.
27.01.2013 - 19:14
Evil Chip
Different genres demand different types of skills, so I wouldn't say he is the best or alpha guitar player of all time. Neverthless I really enjoy his playing and composing skills.
29.01.2013 - 04:09
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Jaeryd on 31.12.2012 at 22:55

but I guess no one believed that I knew what I was talking about.

It's the S by my name, means I automatically know wtf I'm talking about. And no, you can't have one, you're too young.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

29.01.2013 - 07:24
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by psykometal on 29.01.2013 at 04:09

It's the S by my name, means I automatically know wtf I'm talking about. And no, you can't have one, you're too young.

It's cool. I'll settle for an E.
----
30.01.2013 - 14:49
Jtbmetal123
Jimi was awesome! He had skill playing with his teeth and being a boss on the guitar. But He is not the best.
14.07.2013 - 19:16
Traezeus
The way I look at it, "best" is a quality unattainable by any musician. We all have different tastes, listen to different bands/genres for different reasons, and for those exact reasons, our definition of the "best" guitarists/vocalists/bassists/etc (to us) is just as subjective as our music taste as a whole.
15.07.2013 - 03:42
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted

Technical Best by Genre:
Thrash: Chris Polland & Marty Friedman tied (sorry I can't pick just one)

I'd say that Alex Skolnick from Testament is probably the best thrash guitarist and one of the best guitarists period. That dude is crazy good, his jazz trio band is good also. I met him when we did a demo for his new amp at a local guitar shop before Testament. He was a pretty cool dude.