Metal Storm logo
About the MetalStorm Awards

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: 13.01.2010

More brutal, more kvlt, more tr00, and every bit as predictable as the Oscars, each year Metalstorm hosts it's own awards, where we ask you to step up and vote for your favorite albums of the year.

So here are some thoughts, observations and answers for you in regards to everyone's favorite time of the metal year.

To preemptively answer the question that seemingly gets asked 16 times a day starting in mid-October?

"When are the awards?"

They kick off the same time they do every year. Like clockwork. February 1st.

Why February you ask?

Well, dear reader, it is because they are a truly colossal undertaking which, unless you have played a part in the process, cannot hope to fully wrap your head around.

Simply put there are an awful lot of albums released in any given revolution around Sol. We must sift through these and weigh in on what we liked, what we thought was mediocre, and what we'd rather puncture our own eardrums with a rusty ice pick than listen to again? stuff them all into nice little genre packages (not easy when many bands blur lines, invariably you bastards always bitch about why Band A should be Donkeyrape Metal rather than Donkeysodomy Metal or whatnot), and then with all of our distinct tastes, we bribe, fondle, threaten, entice, belittle, badger, and immolate one another until we finally "weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved" awards and come up with a Top 10 for each genre. Or less, in some cases.

Even then, things are not clean, ties (and maybe bones) must be broken.

Finally, once that is complete, we hit the stage in the game where the real work begins. Last year saw 19 different genres represented. Nineteen. The vast majority of which have ten nominations? which, according to my mad math skills, means that there are somewhere around 190,000 write-ups that must be done.

And 190,000 bands which, via hook or crook, must be notified so that they can display their nomination on their web/myspace/facebook/twitter/(whatever the fuck is trendy this week) pages to encourage their fans to show up and vote in support.

Also at this stage, 190,000 separate entries, not to mention the drama, cover songs, video, stuff which falls outside genre specific polls, must then all be dumped into proper web formatting, all album covers inserted, all 4,200,000 links (190,000 home page + 190,000 myspace = 4.2 million) checked for accuracy, etc.

That is a lot of work.

Keep in mind your MS Staff and Eliters lead busy lives - both in their "human" guise, doing such mundane things as going to work, visiting family for the holidays, taking exams, and puking on public transport, as well as in their MetalStorm alter egos, like fighting crime, helping crime, slaying dragons, bedding chicks, bedding dragons, slaying chicks, bedding then slaying hipsterposers, leaving the hall for Manowar shows, conducting interviews, writing reviews, answering emails from MSers who spam each and every staff member as to why we haven't proofed their review within 23 minutes of them hitting the submit button, and our weekly Ice Cream Social in the sacred halls of MetalStorm Towers.

It truly is a labor of love on our part. Heavy on labor, heavy on love.

So hopefully that has helped it sink in a tad what a Herculean undertaking this is each and every year.

The awards will effectively kick off in a couple weeks. Enjoy them. And, please, take advantage of the 190,000 myspace links we plug in. Check out the nominees. You have a fucking month. No need to hurry, awards are not won or lost on day one. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

And for the love of Zarquon, don't be the douchenozzle that blows your wad three minutes after the polls open clicking on your favorite bands then whining when, inevitably, the most popular artists win 90% of the categories? after all, their fans did the same thing you did.

Written on 13.01.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 90   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 818 users
13.01.2010 - 03:44
MeloDeathViking
Good thing this wasn't up when I asked in the shout box earlier or I would have felt like a real ass. As it is, Marcel pointed out that my comments about last year's start date were false, so alas, i appear to be an ass anyway
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
13.01.2010 - 06:04
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
BitterCold, you really really made my day (believe, I needed something so uplifting like this), thanks
You guys shouldn't let people vote until two weeks have passed since the nominations.

BTW... When are the awards?

Just kidding
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
13.01.2010 - 11:25
Shadowcross
The Summoner
And we appreciate the work and sacrifices that go into the MS awards!

13.01.2010 - 13:04
BudDa
Elite
MS Awards = Drama
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
13.01.2010 - 14:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I cant wait for write-in voting for Nokturnal Mortum
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.01.2010 - 14:22
Kwis
The Metalocalypse has begun !
13.01.2010 - 18:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Lets rather hope that Behemoth wont win in every category as somewhere...
----

13.01.2010 - 18:42
nb
This was a nice read, thanks. I know all the hard work you put into the awards, and it is always something to look forward each year, also because I find albums that I missed during the year that are worth a listen.
So thanks again ,
13.01.2010 - 18:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 13.01.2010 at 14:01

lol in what cathegory?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.01.2010 - 18:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its be interesting, I will look who's be there and whoos not, because I have my wiew about 2009 and seems HM and Doom be hardets this year specely doom like awlays for me, well I will deal whit it when its be up
----

apos;'
[image]
13.01.2010 - 18:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Bad English on 13.01.2010 at 18:46

lol in what cathegory?

cant decide between folk and black yet...it is on border

but what am i absolutely sure about, MUSICALLY it belongs to masterpieces of 2009...
----

13.01.2010 - 18:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 13.01.2010 at 18:51

Written by Bad English on 13.01.2010 at 18:46

lol in what cathegory?

cant decide between folk and black yet...it is on border

but what am i absolutely sure about, MUSICALLY it belongs to masterpieces of 2009...

Well XX Black
----

apos;'
[image]
13.01.2010 - 21:09
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Nineteen genres with ten nominations each, with each nomination has a write up. Isn't that only 190 write ups? Or am I missing something (either a number or the sarcasm)? Regardless, we all know it takes hard work and even though I don't usually participate in the awards (since rarely have I ever heard more than one album per genre) I still enjoy reading the write ups, finding new bands, and seeing the results.
----
The force will be with you, always.
13.01.2010 - 21:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 13.01.2010 at 21:09

Nineteen genres with ten nominations each, with each nomination has a write up. Isn't that only 190 write ups? Or am I missing something (either a number or the sarcasm)? Regardless, we all know it takes hard work and even though I don't usually participate in the awards (since rarely have I ever heard more than one album per genre) I still enjoy reading the write ups, finding new bands, and seeing the results.

[sarcasm]You're NOT missing the sarcasm.[/sarcasm]
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2010 - 23:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I'm kind of excited, this year has been good from my point of view although I'm already sure about what bands I shall vote and what bands will win the poll Behemoth, Of course!

But yeah, I always check all the myspaces, I use to take 1-2 days for every poll.

I really like this thing about Metal Storm, that the staff really works their ass off sometimes with this things.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2010 - 00:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
At least one category is clear: Biggest Drama - Herzebeth's farewell
----

14.01.2010 - 01:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 14.01.2010 at 00:26

At least one category is clear: Biggest Drama - Herzebeth's farewell

Not even a blip on the radar.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.01.2010 - 01:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You mean you didnt heard about it or you dont find it worth enough?
----

14.01.2010 - 01:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
In Dramas we're talking about real-life stuff happening for/with/because of metal musicians.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.01.2010 - 05:00
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Helping crime. always and forever hahaha.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
14.01.2010 - 11:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 14.01.2010 at 01:38

You mean you didnt heard about it or you dont find it worth enough?

I've been on the site for over 4 years...I know who Herzebeth is and I know what happened, it's just not really all that important.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.01.2010 - 18:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2010 at 23:03

I'm kind of excited, this year has been good from my point of view although I'm already sure about what bands I shall vote and what bands will win the poll Behemoth, Of course!

it has been a good year, i think, especially when considering many of my favorite bands did not release albums... i was trying to hash out a preliminary top 10 list and found a lot of problems in doing so, even after removing EPs from the process. i'm still stuck with about 15 albums.

Behemoth likely will win DM, and i won't be disappointed if they do. "Evangelion" is not my favorite DM album of the year, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't like it.

this year, as always, i'm just hoping some folks opt to click the links we provide and find some good music that they might have otherwise missed. who knows, every once in a while a blind squirrel finds the acorn, maybe the deserving artist might win out over the more popular artist in a category or two.

those who opt to do just as i suggested not, well, that is their loss.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.01.2010 - 18:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

Nineteen genres with ten nominations each, with each nomination has a write up. Isn't that only 190 write ups? Or am I missing something (either a number or the sarcasm)?

19 x 10 = 190,00 = fact.

just as sure as 190,000 + 190,000 = 4,200,000 and metalstorm staffers slay and/or bed dragons as part of our job requirements...

duh.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.01.2010 - 18:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 14.01.2010 at 18:40

Behemoth likely will win DM, and i won't be disappointed if they do. "Evangelion" is not my favorite DM album of the year, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't like it.

I agree on that. I don't think it's bad and I also liked it to some extent but it doesn't deserve an award at all. Then again I know very little of what happened with DM in 2009... That's why people should check myspaces, to see what happened!
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2010 - 19:17
DoomGuard
Mastodon Mastodon Mastodon Mastodon!

That's all I gotta say swept me up this past year
14.01.2010 - 20:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by BitterCOld on 14.01.2010 at 18:43

Nineteen genres with ten nominations each, with each nomination has a write up. Isn't that only 190 write ups? Or am I missing something (either a number or the sarcasm)?

19 x 10 = 190,00 = fact.

just as sure as 190,000 + 190,000 = 4,200,000 and metalstorm staffers slay and/or bed dragons as part of our job requirements...

duh.

I always knew you were a secret agent man.
----
The force will be with you, always.
14.01.2010 - 20:57
JD
Account deleted
Can't wait for it...
15.01.2010 - 14:01
DayFly
Bless the metalstormers, for without them, the staff would not be writing such entertaining rants.
15.01.2010 - 15:15
destroyah
supercharger
Elite
Great read, as always
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
15.01.2010 - 17:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I love the MS Awards because it always gives me a chance to get albums that I might have missed and see what else is out there. I think that's the whole advantage of it. I also vote every year, I only vote on the categories I really have some knowledge of, you won't see me vote in a Viking metal award because I don't listen to it. I try to be honest.

So, I like the awards, like I said, it gives me more albums to listen to.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 16237 | This month: 42