Metal Storm logo
Sludge Metal

13.01.2010 - 07:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I thought I'd open this thread since there wasn't one. Talk, discuss, what have you. I'm here for some recommendations on essential Sludge. I know 5ive, Eyehategod, Corrupted, Acid Bath, Grief, and Crowbar but I'd like some others. Any suggestions? Oh yeah:

GRIEF "...AND MAN WILL BECOME THE HUNTED" 2x12" LP
[ THRONE 03 ] (Out now and shipping!!!)
First vinyl pressing ever!
After the successful vinyl release of Grief's "come to grief" last year (which sold out in a few months), Throne Records is releasing now the other Grief album left unissued on vinyl format to date.
"...And man will become the hunted" was the farewel album from this essential band in the Doom Metal genre, released originally on CD in 2000 by Pessimiser Records.
All the artwork comes from the original Eric's canvas and illustrations.
))))) Limited to 666 copies worldwide, one-time pressing
))))) 166 copies come pressed on semitransparent brown / grey splatter vinyl, hand-numbered, only available through Throne Records
))))) Gatefold sleeve, printed inside out over the rough side, with black inked paper bags
))))) Quality 180gr. heavy weight vinyl

http://www.thronerecords.net/MAIN.htm

I'm not really a vinyl person, but I know many are, so this may interest some. Cheers.
----
The force will be with you, always.
13.01.2010 - 07:56
spirit_inblack
harshhead
All of the above!!! I love all of those bands and sludge as a genre is one of the best and ugliest (in a good way of course ). I personally consider Khanate to be a sludge band and not drone like they're labeled sometimes, so there's another one. I also enjoy Atavist, Bison BC, Zoroaster, Weedeater, Bongzilla (from time to time, and btw, I know these couple of, bands are stoner too, but they have a sludge sound), Buzzov*en, Graves At Sea, Buried At Sea, Black Cobra, Burning Witch, Unearthly Trance, and, although they are considered stoner for the majority, YOB, because they do have sludgy moments and are just all around awesome!
13.01.2010 - 08:03
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Sometimes its hard for me to distinguish between sludge and stoner but the following bnads are worth checking out: Torche, The Melvins, Ufomammut, Yob, old Isis, and Black Cobra. Eagle Twin might count as well, but I need to refresh my memory
13.01.2010 - 08:11
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Yeah, forgot about Torche. And might I also mention Kylesa. The thing that I really don't understand is why some people consider Baroness to be sludge. Sure the riffs are heavy, but they're not sludgy. I guess it's for lack of a better genre definition. Black Cobra do the Pig Destroyer method quite well, as they succeed in sounding crushingly without bass. I think it's because they go by the philosophy that the less personnel there are involved in a band, the less conflict there is, so they only have two members.
13.01.2010 - 14:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like Sludge , not all but many bands like:
Crowbar, Acit Bath 13, 137, , Beaten Back To Pure, Bone to Rust, probobly any other bands but cant remeber names whit out looking, this genre is weird, I like it and I know werry fiew bands and about it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.01.2010 - 14:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Im not very familiar with pure Sludge. How is it different from the Sludge/Post-Hardcore/Post-metal bands, such as Cult Of Luna, Isis, Neurosis, The Ocean and Pelican?
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.01.2010 - 14:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Uirapuru on 13.01.2010 at 14:22

Im not very familiar with pure Sludge. How is it different from the Sludge/Post-Hardcore/Post-metal bands, such as Cult Of Luna, Isis, Neurosis, The Ocean and Pelican?

Sludge is a "-core" genre of doom. Mix hardcore with doom, and you get sludge. Take Eyehategod and Acid Bath for example
13.01.2010 - 16:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 13.01.2010 at 07:34

I thought I'd open this thread since there wasn't one. Talk, discuss, what have you. I'm here for some recommendations on essential Sludge. I know 5ive, Eyehategod, Corrupted, Acid Bath, Grief, and Crowbar but I'd like some others. Any suggestions? Oh yeah:

GRIEF "...AND MAN WILL BECOME THE HUNTED" 2x12" LP
[ THRONE 03 ] (Out now and shipping!!!)
First vinyl pressing ever!
After the successful vinyl release of Grief's "come to grief" last year (which sold out in a few months), Throne Records is releasing now the other Grief album left unissued on vinyl format to date.
"...And man will become the hunted" was the farewel album from this essential band in the Doom Metal genre, released originally on CD in 2000 by Pessimiser Records.
All the artwork comes from the original Eric's canvas and illustrations.
))))) Limited to 666 copies worldwide, one-time pressing
))))) 166 copies come pressed on semitransparent brown / grey splatter vinyl, hand-numbered, only available through Throne Records
))))) Gatefold sleeve, printed inside out over the rough side, with black inked paper bags
))))) Quality 180gr. heavy weight vinyl

http://www.thronerecords.net/MAIN.htm

I'm not really a vinyl person, but I know many are, so this may interest some. Cheers.

I have this one ordered. Should be getting it next week or the week after. I also have Come To Grief on vinyl (2LP) from the same label and that oen was limited to 222 copies
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2010 - 16:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Good thread, I really enjoy sludge... It's the genre that truly defines the word "Filth" into music form.

Acid Bath is my all time favorite, their debut is a masterpiece of the genre and one of my favorite albums ever. Eyehategod comes right after Acid Bath, good band and I love how fucked up they are.

People interested in the genre also should check out Iron Monkey. The vocals aren't too good but I really like the guitars and the drums... And there's a compilation disc with Both CDs and 4 bonus tracks so it's a great deal to buy everything at once
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2010 - 19:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Sludge metal, or sludgecore if you will, is great. I personally prefer the bluesy type over the hardcore type, and in that light, Acid Bath over Eyehategod. As a matter of fact, although I enjoy Eyehategod occasionally, I fail to see the brilliance. Unfortunately.

I'd throw Corrupted in the Sludge corner as well, although they also have a few other influences. Fantastic band, but I believe everyone in here knows them already. If you don't, check them out. Now.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.01.2010 - 20:02
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2010 at 16:50

People interested in the genre also should check out Iron Monkey. The vocals aren't too good but I really like the guitars and the drums... And there's a compilation disc with Both CDs and 4 bonus tracks so it's a great deal to buy everything at once

Listening to them right now and they sound pretty filthy. I can see where some people may not like the vocals but I think they fit pretty well with the music even though they're more like shrieks than low, gutteral vocals (not cookie monster) that you find in a lot of Sludge. A good recommendation. Thanks guys.
----
13.01.2010 - 20:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 13.01.2010 at 20:02

Written by Lucas on 13.01.2010 at 19:12

I'd throw Corrupted in the Sludge corner as well, although they also have a few other influences. Fantastic band, but I believe everyone in here knows them already. If you don't, check them out. Now.

Who would you site as their influences?

Not necessarily a 'who', as I honestly can't pinpoint the range of bands that influenced them, but I can tell you what their music is comprised of.

Their earlier stuff (they originated in '94) is mostly strongly hardcore-influenced punkish sludge/doom stuff. Raw, abrasive, in-your-face type of doom & hardcore. Brutal growls, on some of their eps (they have many) a lot of feedback/noise, short riffs etc. They also have a couple of split with grindcore bands in the early days and thats not all that strange since the general mood of their music often matches that of grindcore. Although they're a lot slower and doomier than grindcore.

Then, roughly between '97 and '01, they occasionally deliver something more drawn-out, lengthier, doomier and with more atmosphere. There's a lot more focus on songstructure, which shifts from a (hardcore) punk attitude to a more experimental, daring and mood-creation attitude. But beware, cause in those years, they occasionally fall back to their earlier raw stuff.

It is the modern Corrupted that interests me most. The modern Corrupted is the Corrupted that created "El Mundio Frio", "Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos", "Llenandose de Gusanos", "Paso Inferior" and the Vasana & An Island eps. The first four I mentioned are full-lengths and are reviewed here (by me). From this Corrupted you can expect glorious piano, soothing spoken word, hellish feedback and brutally stomping riffs, heaven, hell, acoustic pieces, seventy-minute long songs etc. etc. etc.

I get a little carried away whenever someone mentions Corrupted. I'm actually working on an article called "The Corrupted Chronicles", but it's so goddamn much work that it's nearly impossible to finish, haha. I own almost all of their work, if you want some information on anything concerning them, don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you want to check them out and desire a starting point, let me know if you prefer the earlier period vs. the later experimental work, if you download or buy your music, and I'll help you out.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.01.2010 - 20:29
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 13.01.2010 at 20:22

Not necessarily a 'who', as I honestly can't pinpoint the range of bands that influenced them, but I can tell you what their music is comprised of.

Their earlier stuff (they originated in '94) is mostly strongly hardcore-influenced punkish sludge/doom stuff. Raw, abrasive, in-your-face type of doom & hardcore. Brutal growls, on some of their eps (they have many) a lot of feedback/noise, short riffs etc. They also have a couple of split with grindcore bands in the early days and thats not all that strange since the general mood of their music often matches that of grindcore. Although they're a lot slower and doomier than grindcore.

Then, roughly between '97 and '01, they occasionally deliver something more drawn-out, lengthier, doomier and with more atmosphere. There's a lot more focus on songstructure, which shifts from a (hardcore) punk attitude to a more experimental, daring and mood-creation attitude. But beware, cause in those years, they occasionally fall back to their earlier raw stuff.

It is the modern Corrupted that interests me most. The modern Corrupted is the Corrupted that created "El Mundio Frio", "Se Hace Por Los Suenos Asesinos", "Llenandose de Gusanos", "Paso Inferior" and the Vasana & An Island eps. The first four I mentioned are full-lengths and are reviewed here (by me). From this Corrupted you can expect glorious piano, soothing spoken word, hellish feedback and brutally stomping riffs, heaven, hell, acoustic pieces, seventy-minute long songs etc. etc. etc.

I get a little carried away whenever someone mentions Corrupted. I'm actually working on an article called "The Corrupted Chronicles", but it's so goddamn much work that it's nearly impossible to finish, haha. I own almost all of their work, if you want some information on anything concerning them, don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you want to check them out and desire a starting point, let me know if you prefer the earlier period vs. the later experimental work, if you download or buy your music, and I'll help you out.

Yeah, I realized that you meant "many influences" such as other genres and that's why I deleted that part of my post quoting you but you must've seen it before I did. But yeah, Corrupted is good from what I have heard, which is their newer stuff. I'll have to check out their earlier output too. Thanks.
----
13.01.2010 - 22:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
About the bluesy vs Harcore kind of Sludge... I can't decide since both are very different from each other and I'm in a completely different mood when I'm lsitening to Acid Bath than when I'm listening to Eyehategod.

I guess Eyehategod got their reputation for being of the the first in the scene, influencing most of the scene if not in it's entirety. Oh well, tastes differ... I just love their fucked up music which is great for partying or just telling your neighbours/classmates, parents, everyone that they fucking suck.

Damn, I really have to start writing my review, damn.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2010 - 04:50
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Behold! The Living Corpse may be of some interest to people. They play pretty typical Sludge, but they sound pretty good at it. I found them when searching around for some random stuff and they seem like an interesting stumble. Check them out.
----
14.01.2010 - 06:26
spirit_inblack
harshhead
But, EHG and that whole scene owe their influences to Melvins for creating sludge, so they really deserve much of the credit in this, as they influenced the whole Louisiana scene, which is of course where sludge started to hit it big with EHG, Crowbar, and Acid Bath.

Also, would anyone else consider Lair Of The Minotaur to be somewhat sludgy, even a thrashy sort of sludge? They definitely a deserve mention.

EDIT: And Big Business as well, pretty good band.
14.01.2010 - 21:28
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by spirit_inblack on 14.01.2010 at 06:26

Also, would anyone else consider Lair Of The Minotaur to be somewhat sludgy, even a thrashy sort of sludge? They definitely a deserve mention.

Yeah, LotM is a pretty nasty band. I made a topic that didn't get much response but I still think that they are pretty popular. They definitely have quite a dirty mix of influences, but I believe it stays in line with the Sludge-feel. They toured here recently but I missed them. I am sure they would have been a good band live.
----
14.01.2010 - 21:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Clintagräm on 14.01.2010 at 21:28

Written by spirit_inblack on 14.01.2010 at 06:26

Yeah, LotM is a pretty nasty band. I made a topic that didn't get much response but I still think that they are pretty popular. They definitely have quite a dirty mix of influences, but I believe it stays in line with the Sludge-feel. They toured here recently but I missed them. I am sure they would have been a good band live.

i've seen them flagged as Sludge, Thrash, and even Doom.

they finished a couple votes out in Sludge/Stoner in last year's MS Awards for the horribly named "War Metal Battle Master". Would have got my vote as well, but i preferred Savious "Into Abaddon" (a write-in)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.01.2010 - 21:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
It's so typical when there's a good album with such a bad name

I just checked them out.... Such a filthy and catchy band! I love their energy.

Edit: HOLY SH-....The song Ultimate Destroyer is so friggin good! The beginning was such a killer! Why did my radar miss this band when I was searching for good sludge?
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2010 - 22:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2010 at 21:50

Edit: HOLY SH-....The song Ultimate Destroyer is so friggin good! The beginning was such a killer! Why did my radar miss this band when I was searching for good sludge?

not a lot of chatter about them, i guess. (the album itself is ok. any given song is really good and enjoyable, but with a full 40 minutes at a time it kinda loses it's effect)

one of the things i did when starting to getting into Doom after Marcel (and others) pushed me to check out Warning was to look up past MS Award Winners for Doom/Extreme Doom fields. There is always quality to be found amongst past nominees.

so same should hold true for sludge or whatever else.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.01.2010 - 23:33
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by BitterCOld on 14.01.2010 at 21:43

...the horribly named "War Metal Battle Master"...

I actually really liked the name of the album. Sure it's not super serious, but it's not supposed to be. It's Metal for Metal's sake.
----
15.01.2010 - 00:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 14.01.2010 at 22:06

not a lot of chatter about them, i guess. (the album itself is ok. any given song is really good and enjoyable, but with a full 40 minutes at a time it kinda loses it's effect)

yeah... I can see how it can be one of those albums that I will play once in a month or even less, but I'm sure it will sound good everytime as long as I don't overuse it. There are a few albums in my collection I hear only a few times so the atmosphere will not disappear.

Thanks for the tip, I shall check the older awards!
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.01.2010 - 01:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Clintagräm on 14.01.2010 at 23:33

Written by BitterCOld on 14.01.2010 at 21:43

...the horribly named "War Metal Battle Master"...

I actually really liked the name of the album. Sure it's not super serious, but it's not supposed to be. It's Metal for Metal's sake.

oh i get it's not serious and is metal for metal's sake, but the cheese factor is too great.

folks already make fun of Dimmu Borgir for their "three random evil-sounding words strung together" album titles... LotM did the "Spinal Tap" and "went up to 11" by adding a fourth word to the formula.

even with an album and song titles cheesy enough to clog your arteries, the music still slays in sporadic doses.
----

15.01.2010 - 03:48
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by BitterCOld on 15.01.2010 at 01:47

even with an album and song titles cheesy enough to clog your arteries, the music still slays in sporadic doses.

That's all I've really ever listened to them as and maybe that's why I like them more than some would. They're definitely not a band I would say I listen to regularly but one that I listen to randomly and only a few songs at a time. Do you own any of their material or have you just heard it?
----
15.01.2010 - 06:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Clintagräm on 15.01.2010 at 03:48

Written by BitterCOld on 15.01.2010 at 01:47

That's all I've really ever listened to them as and maybe that's why I like them more than some would. They're definitely not a band I would say I listen to regularly but one that I listen to randomly and only a few songs at a time. Do you own any of their material or have you just heard it?

i do own WMBM, and did purchase it from a live vendor. with a straight face.
----

18.01.2010 - 02:07
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Would anyone consider Asbestosdeath to be an early form of sludge?? Sounds kinda like it to me, way different that the stoner direction that Sleep later took/pioneered, but those four songs kick some fucking ass.
18.01.2010 - 18:32
routa
Account deleted
Free stuffs from Hebosagil, if anyone's interested: http://www.hebosagil.com/
21.01.2010 - 22:47
Grief, Iron Monkey, and EyeHateGod, Dystopia, Indian, Fudge Tunnel, and Floor are my favorites.
21.01.2010 - 22:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I just wrote my first review eva... And I hope that I will not get too much hatred from you guys.

Eyehategod - In The Name Of Suffering
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.01.2010 - 00:22
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Just listening to some Soilent Green and I thought I'd ask if anyone is a fan? I had the pleasure of seeing them live in 2006 and they put on a crazy, energetic show. For anyone who knows them, they blend that classic southern Sludge sound with an arguably Death Metal feel via blast beats, growled vocals and what seems maybe a few other stylistic elements like Grind or Thrash. However, they are no doubt an extremely good Sludge band that spits forth vicous, heavy music. A must for any fan of Sludge and/or extreme music in any form. NOLA still lives.
----