Metal Storm logo
Sludge Metal

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 13.01.2010 - 07:34
I thought I'd open this thread since there wasn't one. Talk, discuss, what have you. I'm here for some recommendations on essential Sludge. I know 5ive, Eyehategod, Corrupted, Acid Bath, Grief, and Crowbar but I'd like some others. Any suggestions? Oh yeah:

GRIEF "...AND MAN WILL BECOME THE HUNTED" 2x12" LP
[ THRONE 03 ] (Out now and shipping!!!)
First vinyl pressing ever!
After the successful vinyl release of Grief's "come to grief" last year (which sold out in a few months), Throne Records is releasing now the other Grief album left unissued on vinyl format to date.
"...And man will become the hunted" was the farewel album from this essential band in the Doom Metal genre, released originally on CD in 2000 by Pessimiser Records.
All the artwork comes from the original Eric's canvas and illustrations.
))))) Limited to 666 copies worldwide, one-time pressing
))))) 166 copies come pressed on semitransparent brown / grey splatter vinyl, hand-numbered, only available through Throne Records
))))) Gatefold sleeve, printed inside out over the rough side, with black inked paper bags
))))) Quality 180gr. heavy weight vinyl

http://www.thronerecords.net/MAIN.htm

I'm not really a vinyl person, but I know many are, so this may interest some. Cheers.
17.04.2012 - 20:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.04.2012 at 16:28

Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.04.2012 at 15:08
Ahab is sludge now?

Are they? Monolithe kind of changed their style but not something that drastic. Going from funeral doom to sludge is a major change in direction.

My question had a sarcastic tone on it but it might have been too subtle. The dude in question explained everything now
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.04.2012 - 22:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.04.2012 at 20:29
The dude in question explained everything now

Just read it. Experienced a little *phew* moment.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2012 - 17:36
JD
Account deleted
08.05.2012 - 22:23
Darkfiber
Bison BC, Black Tusk, Lair of the Minotaur (thrash/sludge with a mix of clean and harsh vocals), High on Fire.

Also, as a side note, am I the only one getting sick of the cliched "limited 666 releases, cause that number is like evil and metal it like evil zomg we're so cool!" thing?
09.05.2012 - 12:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Darkfiber on 08.05.2012 at 22:23
am I the only one getting sick of the cliched "limited 666 releases, cause that number is like evil and metal it like evil zomg we're so cool!" thing?

I don't care about the number. I just want to get the album asap before it's sold out.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.05.2012 - 14:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.05.2012 at 12:45

am I the only one getting sick of the cliched "limited 666 releases, cause that number is like evil and metal it like evil zomg we're so cool!" thing?

I don't care about the number. I just want to get the album asap before it's sold out.

I have yet to purchase a "limited #" cd/vynil. I REALLY want to.

The closest I have is an original pressing of Cryptopsy's None So Vile.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.05.2012 - 15:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.05.2012 at 14:47

I have yet to purchase a "limited #" cd/vynil. I REALLY want to.

The closest I have is an original pressing of Cryptopsy's None So Vile.

It's not that hard to buy limited shit. Buying from labels makes it very easy. Also, it depends on the bands. Even if limited to 1000 or less a black metal cd can take a lot of time to get sold out. Case in point Mayhem, it's very well known stuff and all that but I still did not have any problem in getting the limited to 3000 metal box version of Ordo Ad Chao, because they ain't THAT well known anyways.

So, it's just the "knowing the good labels" and "bands or genre not being too popular" that makes it easy.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.05.2012 - 15:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Also, as a side note, am I the only one getting sick of the cliched "limited 666 releases, cause that number is like evil and metal it like evil zomg we're so cool!" thing?

what does that have to do with sludge?
The limited sludge releases I have are all limited to either 250, 300 or 500 copies.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2012 - 16:21
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 15:12

The limited sludge releases I have are all limited to either 250, 300 or 500 copies.

So cool! Hope you ripped them and uploaded at least
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.05.2012 - 16:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Spirit Molecule on 09.05.2012 at 16:21

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 15:12

So cool! Hope you ripped them and uploaded at least

upoload them? why? downloading isn't illegal but uploading is. And why would I rip them? When I play them in my stereo. I hate playing music from a hard drive
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2012 - 11:14
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 16:34

upoload them? why? downloading isn't illegal but uploading is. And why would I rip them? When I play them in my stereo. I hate playing music from a hard drive

Heh, I was dicking you around :/ Since you were saying the ones you had were limited editions
----

Last fm
Don't click here
10.05.2012 - 11:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.05.2012 at 11:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2012 at 16:34

Heh, I was dicking you around :/ Since you were saying the ones you had were limited editions

Most bands limit their releases btw, even though they don''t number them. Small labels usually limit all their releases to 500 copies max. why do you think it is so hard to find physical copies of a lot of albums?

As for limiting it to 666, most of those bands never even sell all of those copies
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2012 - 11:42
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2012 at 11:17

Most bands limit their releases btw, even though they don''t number them. Small labels usually limit all their releases to 500 copies max. why do you think it is so hard to find physical copies of a lot of albums?

As for limiting it to 666, most of those bands never even sell all of those copies

Well pretty much all the cds I do have are limited edition apart from a few. Most of the stuff I have are local bands, so these generally go out of print and are usually limited to 500max, smaller bands would do 100-200.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
22.05.2012 - 11:05
The Turbanator
One of the best :

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
30.06.2012 - 08:23
The Turbanator
Blackened sludge/doom from France.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
17.07.2012 - 10:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Stoner/Doom Metal band "Bear Browler" hail from France came up with their new EP Tales Of Deadly Addictions.

It's a bit mix up of Sludge into it, but overall, they sounds pretty good. Pretty good album too.
19.07.2012 - 00:00
Lit.
Account deleted
I just listened to Eyehategod's Take As Needed For Pain. Nice doomy sludge, but god-damn those vocals reminded me alot of Suicidal Tendencies. I kept expecting to hear "Doesn't matter 'cause the insurance money's about to run about anyhow" at the end of every song.
19.07.2012 - 00:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.07.2012 at 00:00
I just listened to Eyehategod's Take As Needed For Pain. Nice doomy sludge, but god-damn those vocals reminded me alot of Suicidal Tendencies. I kept expecting to hear "Doesn't matter 'cause the insurance money's about to run about anyhow" at the end of every song.

Hmmmm, nah... maybe a little but I don't really think they sound that much alike. I love mIke's vocals, I feel they are far more disgusting and extreme than ST.

EDIT: Actually, the more I listen to ST tracks now... the more I disagree. Maybe on a couple of songs but the style and attitude is still way too different.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2012 - 00:38
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2012 at 00:34

Hmmmm, nah... maybe a little but I don't really think they sound that much alike. I love mIke's vocals, I feel they are far more disgusting and extreme than ST.

When he got nasty, that's when he sounded awesome. Nice and murky, complemented the music really well. But just singing reminds me alot of ST.
19.07.2012 - 00:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.07.2012 at 00:38

When he got nasty, that's when he sounded awesome. Nice and murky, complemented the music really well. But just singing reminds me alot of ST.

He sings?! I'm a huge EHG fan and I never considered any of his style to be actual singing... Do you mind pointing out some songs?
It's always a nasty yelling to me. Then again... TANFP (awesome title btw) is probably their least offensive album 8which says a lot because that album is still prety fucking nasty).

Here's a live one.

And one of my favorite songs... This is what sludge should sound like ffs... FILTHY.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2012 - 00:53
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2012 at 00:41

You know what? I'm gonna relisten to it later. I'm listening to a couple random songs off of TANFP now and am not remembering where I realized it sounds like ST. I'll give you an opinion later.
My other opinion stands: This is some nice shit.
19.07.2012 - 01:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.07.2012 at 00:53
This is some nice shit.

Aye, that's the accurate description of it... It's nice... but goddamn if it isn't nasty. The funny thing is... Mike is a pretty cool and friendly guy even if at the time of this interview the dude lost pretty much all his shit because of the hurricane Katrina and was in the middle of the rehab process if I remember correctly.

----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2012 - 01:13
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2012 at 01:01

Aye, that's the accurate description of it... It's nice... but goddamn if it isn't nasty. The funny thing is... Mike is a pretty cool and friendly guy even if at the time of this interview the dude lost pretty much all his shit because of the hurricane Katrina and was in the middle of the rehab process if I remember correctly.

Funny guy. Yeah, I think I'll keep an eye out for a hard copy of TANFP at the Exchange or CMdistro or somewhere. I'm betting that's not a recent interview, but have they at least come out of the state yet to tour? I don't remember seeing their name around.
19.07.2012 - 01:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.07.2012 at 01:13
Funny guy. Yeah, I think I'll keep an eye out for a hard copy of TANFP at the Exchange or CMdistro or somewhere. I'm betting that's not a recent interview, but have they at least come out of the state yet to tour? I don't remember seeing their name around.

I know they have been on Hellfest and Roadburn so yeah... They do travel around Europe so suppose they travel around USA as well. They are working on their new album so I don't know if they are actually touring atm. Definitely check out their discography (and look at the shiny n00b review from their debut... my very first review!). Try to catch the digipak Century Media edition of the first 3 albums since all of them have a lot of extra material!
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2012 - 01:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2012 at 01:18

Written by Guest on 19.07.2012 at 01:13

I know they have been on Hellfest and Roadburn so yeah... They do travel around Europe so suppose they travel around USA as well. They are working on their new album so I don't know if they are actually touring atm. Definitely check out their discography (and look at the shiny n00b review from their debut... my very first review!). Try to catch the digipak Century Media edition of the first 3 albums since all of them have a lot of extra material!

I will. Thanks, Doc.
19.07.2012 - 01:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.07.2012 at 01:32
I will. Thanks, Doc.

No problem.
Those digipaks are limited to 3000 copies (it should say that on the back of the digipak) but fortunately that kind of stuff doesn't really sell fast at all
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.09.2012 - 03:19
Oaken
Hipster
May I ask a stupid question? Okay: What is the difference between sludge and stoner?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
07.09.2012 - 00:26
IronAngel
Written by Oaken on 05.09.2012 at 03:19

May I ask a stupid question? Okay: What is the difference between sludge and stoner?

Well, the difference is that they're different genres that sound different, I guess.

But yeah, there are a lot of bands that blend them and operate on both sides of the fence. In a nutshell, I would say stoner is groovy and bass-heavy, taking influence from psychedelic rock. It's melodic and maybe a bit bluesy too (though sludge can be, too). Weed is a common lyrical theme, not surprisingly.

Sludge tends to be more raw and stripped down, and not as melodic. It has a hardcore connection, especially in the vocals. (A connection that's carried over into the relationship between atmospheric sludge, post-hardcore and screamo, incidentally.)

The problem is, most of the biggest bands do some kind of genre bending and blending. Acid Bath is probably the greatest sludge band out there, except that they're barely sludge half of the time. Down is considered a bit of both.

For archetypical examples, I'd check Kyuss, Sleep and Monster Magnet for stoner (though the latter aren't really metal). For sludge, there's Eyehategod, Melvins, Crowbar and maybe Grief for a doomier take.
07.09.2012 - 00:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 07.09.2012 at 00:26
Acid Bath is probably the greatest sludge band out there, except that they're barely sludge half of the time.

The only times I don't see sludge is on their ballads and *maybe* on Tranquilized (talking about their debut that is) which does have a stoner vibe here and there. Pretty much that.... the rest is just sludge with bluesy leads.

On their second album they had some grunge/stoner friendly feeling... Still would call it sludge to anyone asking about their music.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.09.2012 - 00:37
Oaken
Hipster
Written by IronAngel on 07.09.2012 at 00:26

Written by Oaken on 05.09.2012 at 03:19

Well, the difference is that they're different genres that sound different, I guess.

But yeah, there are a lot of bands that blend them and operate on both sides of the fence. In a nutshell, I would say stoner is groovy and bass-heavy, taking influence from psychedelic rock. It's melodic and maybe a bit bluesy too (though sludge can be, too). Weed is a common lyrical theme, not surprisingly.

Sludge tends to be more raw and stripped down, and not as melodic. It has a hardcore connection, especially in the vocals. (A connection that's carried over into the relationship between atmospheric sludge, post-hardcore and screamo, incidentally.)

The problem is, most of the biggest bands do some kind of genre bending and blending. Acid Bath is probably the greatest sludge band out there, except that they're barely sludge half of the time. Down is considered a bit of both.

For archetypical examples, I'd check Kyuss, Sleep and Monster Magnet for stoner (though the latter aren't really metal). For sludge, there's Eyehategod, Melvins, Crowbar and maybe Grief for a doomier take.

So stoner is bluesy stuff and sludge is angry metal infused hardcore? Thanks
----
In that case, man is only air as well.