Metal Storm logo
Mithras

Original post

Posted by Bas, 17.05.2006 - 15:30
I suppose most people here on metalstorm wont know this band, but if you are a fan of brutal deathmetal you should definately check them out, as they are one of the best bands in this genre,
you can download a few of their songs here:
http://www.mithras.org.uk
05.04.2007 - 18:05
Stigmatized
The new album has leaked, though I haven't downloaded it. From what I hear it's really good though.
18.04.2007 - 04:05
Stigmatized
I downloaded it and I'm listening through it now, and it's unreal. They outdid Worlds Beyond the Veil easily, and I already like it more than Forever Advancing.....Legions.
18.04.2007 - 11:05
Bas
Retired Staff
wow, great to hear that, i can't wait to get my copy
it should arrive soon...
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
18.04.2007 - 12:21
Baz Anderson

noo.. I dont think it is that great.. it is no way as good as 'Forever Advancing... Legions'
the second album probably better as well even though the production on the new album is great like the first..

I mean the new one is good.. but I wouldnt go praising it like its anything suitably fantastic..
18.04.2007 - 13:52
Stigmatized
Written by Baz Anderson on 18.04.2007 at 12:21

noo.. I dont think it is that great.. it is no way as good as 'Forever Advancing... Legions'
the second album probably better as well even though the production on the new album is great like the first..

I mean the new one is good.. but I wouldnt go praising it like its anything suitably fantastic..

Well, the reason I said that is because, unlike the other two albums, this one hit me right away. It took me awhile to get into the other two, but this album it clicked instantly.
19.04.2007 - 16:31
Bubonic

Not absolutely brilliant, but recommended to every Morbid Angel fans.
19.04.2007 - 19:19
Stigmatized
This album didn't really sound like Morbid Angel to me. It didn't remind me at all.
20.04.2007 - 00:49
Vunts

Well...i just have to say that Mithras is one of the more unique bands around. I could name several hundred bands straight off the bat, but none of them has much of the atmosphere that Mithras creates. The guitar sound is great and the way all the instruments collide...It's just wonderful. I didn't find the latest album that special on the first listen, but right at this very moment i'm listening to it with my headphones on...and while it's almost 1am and i have to get up at 6am, i can't go to sleep because the album is keeping me up. The different passages in every song keep them from getting boring and while i did like 'Forever Advancing...' more (i think), i noticed more solos here. Perhaps i simply didn't have the right setting while listening to their previous releases or maybe there really are more solos here. Nevertheless, loving the CD and seriously considering buying either this one or 'Forever Advancing...' if either of them should happen to be on sale in a shop (i am skeptical of internet shops...i like cash).

EDIT: missed one word. The "didn't" infront of: have the right setting.
20.04.2007 - 02:51
Stigmatized
Written by Vunts on 20.04.2007 at 00:49

i noticed more solos here. Perhaps i simply have the right setting while listening to their previous releases or maybe there really are more solos here.

I noticed that too. It definitely sounded to me like there were more solos.
07.06.2007 - 19:59
Baz Anderson

message from Leon:

"Hi everyone.

I'm sad to announce that Sean Broster is no longer drumming for Mithras. We'd like to thank Sean for all the effort and time he's put into the band over the years, it's certainly been a "blast".

Back in 2004, Sean destroyed everyone else in the audition stage and joined as our "live" drummer, and later accepted a role as our main drummer for our (then in progress) new album 'Behind The Shadows Lie Madness'. Rayner (Coss - Bass/Vocals) and I always intended Mithras to be a three piece band so we could record albums and also do shows with relative ease, so we were really pleased with this development.

However, Sean decided he had to step down and return to just being our "live" drummer at the tail end of 2005, during the writing sessions for the new album. Unfortunately and like previous albums, this meant I had to get back on the Mithras drum seat full time as well as handling all the guitars. It also meant we had to put all our live plans on hold and concentrate on completing 'Behind The Shadows Lie Madness' as a two piece once again.

After years of work and delays, 'Behind The Shadows Lie Madness' has recently been released worldwide on Candlelight Records, and the fantastic responses it's getting from both the press and fans (new and old) is amazing and really encouraging, so thanks to everyone who's supported us so far!

We recently decided to have a shot at assembling a live line-up purely to do some shows in support of 'Shadows...' and had some rehearsals with Sean and Alex de Moller (Scythian) as live session musicians. After a while, it became clear to Rayner and I that it was going to take an immense amount of rehearsal time and a herculean effort to get to the stage where they could accurately represent the material from our albums, something not helped by both the sheer complexity of the new material and the fact everyone had other commitments. Sadly, this made the situation unworkable for us, so we'd like to publicly thank Sean and Alex for giving it a shot.

Since stepping down as a full member of Mithras in 2005, Sean went on to join the UK's Sarpanitum, an up-coming extreme metal band. Sarpanitum were the first signing to the newly established UK label Galactic Records, which I founded recently (www.galacticrecords.co.uk); and their highly recommended debut album 'Despoilment Of Origin' is out now - death metal fans everywhere seem to be bang into it, so be sure to check it out!

cheers
"

let me tell you.. Sarpanitum sound really really great!!
08.06.2007 - 00:01
Stigmatized
I'll have to check them out then.
08.06.2007 - 21:17
Baz Anderson

Written by Stigmatized on 08.06.2007 at 00:01

I'll have to check them out then.

yes indeed! Leon is sending me both the albums from his new Galactic Records so hopefully there will be a review for both of them on some time in the near future..
also hopefully there will be a little "something else" from both the bands as well I will put up in the future to help you get to know them..
11.06.2007 - 22:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I finally dragged my black ass to the cd store today and bought the new album. Mithras has always been a little too unstructured for my taste, but I was impressed with the new album just on one listen. The drumming is great and I like the atmopheric interludes that they always do. The vocals aren't that great though, and I think this band would benefit from some guttural vox.
12.06.2007 - 00:21
Stigmatized
Finally, someone else who was impressed on first listen.
03.07.2007 - 02:21
darksymphony
Account deleted
I don't own any Mithras albums but I am enthralled with "To where the sun never leaves." I don't think I've heard many other DM bands with so poignant leads .
03.07.2007 - 02:27
Baz Anderson

Written by Guest on 03.07.2007 at 02:21

I don't own any Mithras albums but I am enthralled with "To where the sun never leaves." I don't think I've heard many other DM bands with so poignant leads .

then I urge you to get "Behind The Shadows Lie Madness"
fantastic album.. very bombastic! great stuff!!
31.07.2007 - 05:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I listened to Behind the Shadows Lie Madness again and it really hit me this time. I might even be willing to say that it's my favorite album by them, but I'm not really sure.

The fluid double bass makes me happy.
31.08.2007 - 18:04
Baz Anderson

like you all know, I reviewed the album quite a while back now.. but I still keep thinking about it
when I wrote that review I hadn't listened to the album as many times as I have now - and I didn't appreciate it quite as much..
I think it is the best album from this year so far.. if I were to review it again it would certainly get more praise
24.12.2008 - 00:53
Baz Anderson

Review of the first Mithras show for three years here:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=542

Enjoy!
24.12.2008 - 02:57
Baz Anderson

Written by Blood Red Moon on 24.12.2008 at 01:16

I can't read your review, it will just make me sad . But comparing it to upscale well produced metal shows and cheezy local shows, where does it rank as far as production and sound quality? (assuming upscale bands have fancy light shows and perfect sound quality, and local bands sound shitty and have no special effects whatsoever)

I don't even have to ask about the music

And how were Sarp and De Profundis?

Hahaha, well the venue wasn't that big, so it didn't feel particularly grand like it did for Emperor at the Astoria in 2006 - and the venue wasn't totally packed, but those of us from the forum down at the front were really into it. It was somewhere in the middle of that.. it felt quite intimate but it wasn't like I was sitting on the stage with them. Sound quality was very good.. Leon's guitars were just soaring..

Sarpanitum and De Profundis are in the review too - be brave!! Have a look!! Hahaha.. there's a lot of pictures!
25.12.2008 - 23:58
Baz Anderson

Thanks a lot! It's always nice to have good feedback!
06.09.2010 - 12:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Their new song sounds different from their other stuff. Not amazing, but not bad
06.09.2010 - 18:53
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 06.09.2010 at 12:02

Their new song sounds different from their other stuff. Not amazing, but not bad

Not amazing, as you said, but I like it
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness