Metal Storm logo
"Ethereal" Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 18.01.2010 - 05:27
Ethereal as defined by dictionary.com comprises five definitions which are as follows:

-adjective
1. light, airy, or tenuous: an ethereal world created through the poetic imagination.
2. extremely delicate or refined: ethereal beauty.
3. heavenly or celestial: gone to his ethereal home.
4. of or pertaining to the upper regions of space.
5. Chemistry. pertaining to, containing, or resembling ethyl ether.

Now, you may ask what the hell I am defining this word for, but I think it is the only word that fits what I am trying to get at. Some "Black Metal" bands have for me a feeling that goes far beyond what conventional music gives out and really brings my listening experience to a plane beyond this physical one. Now, I'm not really a fan of Black Metal and am usually rolling my eyes when guys talk about Black Metal, Satan, and corpse paint as "modern art" but some bands out there really do strike a chord (no pun intended) with me and this is what this topic is about.

I am searching for bands and respective albums that play a type of Black Metal that goes beyond the typical raw, dark, sound and message and plays something on a whole other level, though obviously recognizable through the medium of Black Metal. To nail the sound is kind of difficult, since it varies with band to band, but I think Black Metal with a shoegaze and/or Post-Rock atmosphere and sound kind of gets my point across. If you're not sure what I mean, think of bands like:

Alcest
Miserere Luminis
Ulver (Bergtatt)
Blut Aus Nord
Negură Bunget

I apologize in advance if what I am trying to get at doesn't make any sense. Basically, this type of Black Metal goes beyond conventional tactics and is, what I believe, an evolution of both sound and thought in the Black Metal "camp" if you will. I am also still trying to understand what sets bands such as these apart. Is it just a similar sound and an unconventional approach to image and lyrical themes? This may also help open up some discussion and basically, do you like this kind of Black Metal too?

I personally find the melodic, post-rock vibe of the aforementioned bands a lot more than your typical Black Metal band, but I realize they are most likely going for two completely different things. I'm still trying to understand if there really is some type of brilliant undertone to the music (which I believe many may still consider unlistenable to the average person) and lyrical approach or if it's just something that tickles my fancy right now.

Well, any opinions, recommendations, and/or other comments?
15.03.2010 - 12:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by xplanet2112 on 01.03.2010 at 01:22

Yes I've heard of Alters of Plagues and these will be checked out due course, thanks!! I've bought Negura Bunget's 'Om' and it's really good. I saw on their Myspace page that they will be touring the UK with support from Fen ...

Negura Bunget and Fen touring together? Oh I'll have some of that!
17.03.2010 - 00:53
xplanet2112

Written by Guest on 15.03.2010 at 12:49

Written by xplanet2112 on 01.03.2010 at 01:22

Yes I've heard of Alters of Plagues and these will be checked out due course, thanks!! I've bought Negura Bunget's 'Om' and it's really good. I saw on their Myspace page that they will be touring the UK with support from Fen ...

Negura Bunget and Fen touring together? Oh I'll have some of that!

Indeed brethren, indeed!! Just check out either band's myspace profile for the dates of the UK tour. NB have a new album out soon, I'm sure you'll know this, looking forward to hearing it!
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
17.03.2010 - 00:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by xplanet2112 on 17.03.2010 at 00:53

Indeed brethren, indeed!! Just check out either band's myspace profile for the dates of the UK tour. NB have a new album out soon, I'm sure you'll know this, looking forward to hearing it!

I'm very much looking forward to it, they have a lot to live up after the brilliance of Om but I'm confident they'll deliver ;]
17.03.2010 - 01:05
xplanet2112

Written by Guest on 17.03.2010 at 00:58

Written by xplanet2112 on 17.03.2010 at 00:53

I'm very much looking forward to it, they have a lot to live up after the brilliance of Om but I'm confident they'll deliver ;]

Yeah, Om's an unreal album with so many high points - some parts give me the chills bigtime! Om's the only thing I've heard of them yet so I've plenty more work to!

Fen's album took it's time to rub off on me but it's an excellent CD and hope to hear more from them too
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
22.03.2010 - 00:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Was just listening to Darkestrah's 'Epos' album again and I think it would easily fit the ethereal description. I'd say for fans of Walknut especially: one long song of atmospheric black metal with a smattering of folk and the odd violin. It's kinda one those albums that pretty much anyone would love.
03.04.2011 - 07:32
cjd10810

Listened to Miserere Luminis and liked it. You may want to give the early works of Tristania a try and also, a band called Agalloch.