Metal Storm logo
Black Metal (the theory&practice)

Original post

Posted by ANGEL REAPER, 18.01.2010 - 22:08
Well,I know that here must be more than just few BM fans,and that here must be more than one topic about
"How to play/write/sing/record black metal tips&tricks"......But none of them is complete (if you know what i mean),so I deceided to make new thread that deals with BM playing/writing/singing/recording and other stuff .
Here I would like you to write yours tips&tricks,advices,questions and by doing that help other Black metal musitians to improve and solve their own problems.
This should be the only complete BM playing/writing/singing/recording guidelines thread on MS,so write ,write,write.....

PS>Many greenhorns thaks you!
22.09.2011 - 17:15
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 17:07

What's a good amp preset for BM? I use Gain at 10 and Treble at 10. It sounds too raw!!

acquire a distortion with a lot of reverb ...that should do a trick..
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.09.2011 - 17:17
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 22.09.2011 at 17:15

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 17:07

What's a good amp preset for BM? I use Gain at 10 and Treble at 10. It sounds too raw!!

acquire a distortion with a lot of reverb ...that should do a trick..

Detailed Feedback, please? Your opinion is very useful and highly regarded.
And I'll try to acquire that.
22.09.2011 - 17:28
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 17:17

Detailed Feedback, please? Your opinion is very useful and highly regarded.
And I'll try to acquire that.

well i figure that you like Immortal style approach on bm...so a distortion with a lot of reverb will qive you that continuous grim and frostbitten sound that you seek...
Also you could really need to get some drum machine or some software that emulate it in order to make the drums...naked ,raw guitar sound without drums are not to pleasant thing to hear(dont worry a lot of drumming in bm especially in one man bands is done with such stuff,and its a quite easy to make at least simple blast beats.... )
From a demo you sent me i can sense that you have some song writing skills needed and i encourage you to develop them even more...
anyway a lot of bm was created trough experiments with various combinations ....When you find the combination of equipment and settings you will notice it...
Just keep experimenting,keep playing ,keep working...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.12.2011 - 09:37
Grody2themax

Lol. Minor thirds, tri tones. Combine melodies emphasizing those intervals with tremolo picking and random modulations of fourth or minor third chords played with a triplet feel. Throw in some minor bar chords and minor sweeps and you're set. But to top it off, if you suck at recording music thats good for black metal since it will make it sound more "kvlt"