Metal Storm logo
How long does it take you to get into an album?

Original post

Posted by MeloDeathViking, 22.01.2010 - 04:00
So I keep seeing people say "It took me x number of spins to get into that album." For me I usually know before the end of the second time through the album whether or not I like the album. There have been "growers" in the past, such as Unia by Sonata Arctica, but for the most part, its 3 spins or less, usually less. I was wondering what other people think about this. How many times does it usually take you to really know how you feel about an album. I personally sit down with an album and ive it consecutive listens. Do you listen to it x number of times in a row, or spread the listening out over the course of a week or a month? I'm intrested to hear what people have to say.
29.11.2016 - 18:51
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by mz on 28.11.2016 at 23:33

For stuff like drone or dark ambient, it might take longer.

Pure drone? of course you take long time to get into an album.

Drone doom? you'll wasting your time for 1 week.
29.01.2017 - 14:48
Mik
Account deleted
Personally I always found drone doom quite easy to get into. Stuff like Hjarnidaudi, Nadja or The Angelic Process were instant hits. They are melodic than others though, so thats probably why.
24.02.2017 - 21:15
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by Guest on 29.01.2017 at 14:48

Personally I always found drone doom quite easy to get into. Stuff like Hjarnidaudi, Nadja or The Angelic Process were instant hits. They are melodic than others though, so thats probably why.

Those bands in my collections are the most hardest to get into, well Pain-Noise-March by Hjarnidaudi almost take about more than 1 week. Quite easy? Who are you? Veteran?
27.02.2017 - 11:30
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 24.02.2017 at 21:15

Written by Guest on 29.01.2017 at 14:48

Those bands in my collections are the most hardest to get into, well Pain-Noise-March by Hjarnidaudi almost take about more than 1 week. Quite easy? Who are you? Veteran?

Dunno, Hjarnidaudi was an instant hit for me. Only in the second song I considered it to be one of my all time favourite albums. It has everything I want from drone or music in general. I'm not really that much of a veteran either.
27.02.2017 - 19:52
fourrobert13

Hard to say for sure. There may be something off the first listen so I'll revisit the album again and see what it was. Generally, I try something three times before giving completely up on it, but I've given more chances than that in some albums from some of my favorite bands.
04.03.2017 - 20:47
Mad Arab666

Depends on the album itself. When Septic flesh's "The Great mass" came out I got into it immediately however when Watains "Lawless Darkness" came out, it took me few listens before I could really appreciate it.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
14.03.2017 - 21:16
Betahuman

I usually get an instant feeling about whether i'm gonna like an album or not, and from there it takes a few going throughs of the album.
02.04.2017 - 19:53
Sang Dalang Abu

You need time to understand whole songs from black metal album, but death metal, a single listen you can understand it.
21.04.2017 - 09:41
Jtbmetal123

I usually give a record 3 times before it sinks in but the first listen I get a feel for if im going to like it or not but after 3 spins I have a for sure answer.
02.05.2017 - 15:55
Zombie94

^ Agree with the above. I have a 'maybe pile' playlist on Spotify. If I hear a song for the first time I can almost always sense if it has the potential to get better with another spin, and if so I'll put it in that playlist for further listening. I usually never listen to new stuff more than 3 times though, and less than 50% of those maybe pile tracks end up being stuff I like. I'd actually highly recommend this system, works very well for me.
20.07.2017 - 02:00
JorkArminiv

Im fast, only 1 listen but carefully.. I set 3 parameters or cuestions to the songs.

1 Music.. is something id like to follow listeniing to.. i really enjoy it? is it "HeadBangable"?
2 The Singing, lyrical.. the voice its melody, rythm.. its fine to listen to or sing with?
3 The chorus.. essential part of the song sometimes the total enjoyment of the song depends on it.

So, 2.5 of theese 3 parameter have to be completed, then i can say thats a great song from "X" albums..

And yes sometimes i use playlists to preselect the song and listen carefully again for a better decision..
24.07.2017 - 20:39
solar

Good question. My answer is that it kinda depends on the genre.

For black, it usually takes me a single spin to like an album (if it is good, that is). A few exceptions have been Skáphe, Blut Aus Nord and Deathspell Omega. Deathspell Omega took the maximum time (maybe 5-6 spins) for me to first understand what's going on, and then like it, and finally really really like it.
For avantgarde and death, it takes me 1-2 spins. Funeral doom can take a little longer, but it's about the same too: 2-3 spins.

I usually do not listen to an album on repeat in a single sitting to get into it. After it ends, I move to the next album. I tend to spread my listening of the same album over the course of a few days. This goes till max one week after which I'm bored and will not listen to the album in the foreseeable future. I might come back to it once in a while soon, but it's out of the phase where I have to listen to it every other day or so.
25.07.2017 - 19:37
As far as I'm concerned, I generally need to listen to the album 3 or 4 times before I make up my mind.