04. Sapari [Instrumental]
05. Bereft In The Abyss [Instrumental]

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2010

Additional info
Release dates:

January 25: Europe
January 27: Japan
February 9: USA

The enhanced Tour Edition includes the "Sapari" Music Video, its making of and a making of of the photo shoot.

OrWarrior means "Warrior of Light", and the concept will be about the battle between light and darkness.

Staff review by
Darkside Momo
Rating:
"This is a resistance dispatch. Codeword: Illumination."

After a six-years-long wait, Orphaned Land are finally back. Don't be fooled by the quite classical (well, for Orphaned Land) opener "Sapari", the rest of the album is clearly not as straightforward!
And, just like their previous album Mabool, TNEWOORW (shorter this way, eh?) is a concept album. This one is quite a biblical metaphor, telling us about the spiritual journey of one man that becomes a warrior of Light. Oh, and 'Or' in Hebrew means light, hence the 'ORWarrior' in the album's title.

Read more ››
published 20.08.2010 | Comments (21)

Released one month ago, it hasn't leaved my CD played (or my Ipod) since.
It's been six long years since Orphaned Land offered us the wonderful Mabool. Did they do better? I honestly can't say... But who cares? Both are awesome masterpieces of metal, extreme, folk, prog, melody, all of that and more.
So, come abroad in this musical journey, following a soul lost in darkness that becomes a warrior of light...
Definitely an album to be experienced, not merely listened to.

Darkside Momo's picks | More picks ››

Found in 51 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 1333 users
04.02.2010 - 12:30
Rating: 9
Roro

Wth :S !!!
i have to download it now
04.02.2010 - 12:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by InnerSelf on 04.02.2010 at 11:52

Written by Darkside Momo on 04.02.2010 at 11:47

Written by InnerSelf on 04.02.2010 at 11:15

الله نور السموات والأرض مثل نوره كمشكاةٍ فيها مصباح
يهدي الله لنوره من يشاء ويضرب الله الأمثال للناس والله بكل شيءٍ عليم
[English translation:]
Allah is the light of heavens and earth, his light is like a blessed niche that needs no fire to set ablaze.
Allah guides to his light those who find him in their hearts, and sets forth parables for mankind,
Allah is cognizant of all.

So I was right
The "Ayah" is actually longer
but I have nothing to say

What do you mean by that? Did Kobhi changed the way to pronounce it?

No
there are "very long" parts missing "parts that give more value to this Ayah"
in terms of pronouncing he did a very good job

Oh OK, the bold parts are missing. Thanks!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.02.2010 - 12:56
Roro

Written by InnerSelf on 31.01.2010 at 21:46

Now I am listening to this song again and after realy consentrating I believe the band did not use the same words used in The Holy Qur'an

Something feels wrong

ok the correction is :
اللَّهُ نُورُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأرْضِ مَثَلُ نُورِهِ كَمِشْكَاةٍ فِيهَا مِصْبَاحٌ الْمِصْبَاحُ فِي زُجَاجَةٍ الزُّجَاجَةُ كَأَنَّهَا كَوْكَبٌ دُرِّيٌّ يُوقَدُ مِنْ شَجَرَةٍ مُبَارَكَةٍ زَيْتُونَةٍ لا شَرْقِيَّةٍ وَلا غَرْبِيَّةٍ يَكَادُ زَيْتُهَا يُضِيءُ وَلَوْ لَمْ تَمْسَسْهُ نَارٌ نُورٌ عَلَى نُورٍ يَهْدِي اللَّهُ لِنُورِهِ مَنْ يَشَاءُ وَيَضْرِبُ اللَّهُ الأمْثَالَ لِلنَّاسِ وَاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ } .
04.02.2010 - 19:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Darkside Momo on 04.02.2010 at 12:35

Written by InnerSelf on 04.02.2010 at 11:52

Written by Darkside Momo on 04.02.2010 at 11:47

Written by InnerSelf on 04.02.2010 at 11:15

الله نور السموات والأرض مثل نوره كمشكاةٍ فيها مصباح
يهدي الله لنوره من يشاء ويضرب الله الأمثال للناس والله بكل شيءٍ عليم
[English translation:]
Allah is the light of heavens and earth, his light is like a blessed niche that needs no fire to set ablaze.
Allah guides to his light those who find him in their hearts, and sets forth parables for mankind,
Allah is cognizant of all.

So I was right
The "Ayah" is actually longer
but I have nothing to say

What do you mean by that? Did Kobhi changed the way to pronounce it?

No
there are "very long" parts missing "parts that give more value to this Ayah"
in terms of pronouncing he did a very good job

Oh OK, the bold parts are missing. Thanks!

Anyway I still don't find it offensive by any means because they did not change anything they just omitted one sentence
the words they chose are beautiful , the way they were performed are also great and I will consider it a qoutation
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.02.2010 - 20:04
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by InnerSelf on 04.02.2010 at 19:51

the words they chose are beautiful , the way they were performed are also great and I will consider it a qoutation

I really like this part of the song (which is clearly one of the best of the album), but I you can guess, I don't understand a word of Arabic (or Hebrew anyway).
I really do think that Kobhi outdid himself with all his singing on this album
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.02.2010 - 20:18
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Darkside Momo on 04.02.2010 at 20:04

Written by InnerSelf on 04.02.2010 at 19:51

I really like this part of the song (which is clearly one of the best of the album), but I you can guess, I don't understand a word of Arabic (or Hebrew anyway).
I really do think that Kobhi outdid himself with all his singing on this album

Indeed
the variation of vocals in this album is just great and his voice and the way he mastered the oriental singing is amazing
----
is not bold enough
04.02.2010 - 21:38
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
This is fucking strange music.....makes me think of camels in a desert. Im not fond of camels...
04.02.2010 - 21:45
InnerSelf
proofread free
Yeah because Arabs live in the desert and ride on Camels to work ............. Oh wait they don't work they just sit in their tents and watch virgins dancing and have lots and lots of children
Stereotype
----
is not bold enough
05.02.2010 - 10:40
Roro

Ok the album is very good. but still dont like the idea of mixing phrases from Quran into song, even though it has a beautiful meaning.
05.02.2010 - 18:56
Zuzuz0r

I think I like more to think of camels in the desert, than to think about He-Man like guys with swords killing dragons or trolls dancing in the forest while listening to music...
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
10.02.2010 - 03:06
cj246

Orphaned has put out an amazing album! This is well-crafted and distinct. Although, it is not quite as good as Mabool, in my opinion. Still, commendable work! My in-depth review is here:

http://thegoldenbird.wordpress.com/2010/02/04/orphaned-land-the-never-ending-way-of-orwarrior-review/
----
http://thegoldenbird.wordpress.com/
10.02.2010 - 19:56
StRicardo6

One word A w e s o me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12.02.2010 - 12:05
Rating: 10
MetalBox80

Mabool was great, this one is even better!:banger:
21.02.2010 - 15:26
Feng

Written by Wes on 28.01.2010 at 13:49

This band would be way better without the Arabic stuff. It's cool but I don't know ><
I hate to criticize this album because they put so much work into it and in many ways it's a work of art.

But I just can't say I like it or like listening to it, and somehow as someone said it feels PRETENTIOUS. what the hell.

This album sounds really good, from the stuff I've heard so far its incredibly unique. I can't say I agree with it being pretentious though.
Either way it was nice to see someone giving a balanced criticism of an album, not something you see that often on the internet these days
24.02.2010 - 21:27
Skøllgrim
Northern
Enjoyable from what I've heard so far. I really enjoyed Mabool, so I hope this one will reach that level for me.
27.02.2010 - 18:37
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Both lyrical message and music are brilliant. In my opinion, tops "Mabool".
This band deserves a bigger label.
02.03.2010 - 22:50
Rating: 7
bard

Written by mariano on 29.01.2010 at 14:51

All those melodies and rare instruments are the essence of Orphaned Land, it is what makes them sound different from stupid bands like Nile.

Well, Nile uses rare instruments as well. Some of the same kinds, if I'm not mistaken. Just to be fair.
----
13.03.2010 - 02:13
Rating: 10
tuerda

Just got this. Am listenning to it as I type. Couldn't wait to listen to the whole thing before I said how very very satisified I am feeling right now. Mabool was one of the best albums in folk metal history and it was very hard to live up to. I really put this into my record player expecting to be disappointed. Man was I wrong! This is awesome!
16.03.2010 - 03:46
3dd

For me this is the album of the year!! It's a endless journey, very unique melody, and yet better than Mabool.
17.03.2010 - 03:16
Rating: 8
Morphis

For me is not better than Mabol, but is a very enjoyable album.
Found here a very good song: 07. The Warrior.
17.03.2010 - 12:42
InnerSelf
proofread free
I think the album starts to lose its power after the 9th song where the tracks starts to sound so ordinary and not interesting at all whereas the first 9 tracks were varied ,unique and utterly brilliant
----
is not bold enough
17.03.2010 - 12:57
Roro

Am i the only one who feel like listening to Opeth? this album is kinda similiar to opeth albums
17.03.2010 - 14:13
Baz Anderson

I don't know anything about this album, but the use of upper-case in "ORwarriOR" really annoys me whenever I see it.
23.03.2010 - 22:00
Bleak_Advent

Written by Roro on 17.03.2010 at 12:57

Am i the only one who feel like listening to Opeth? this album is kinda similiar to opeth albums

No you're not the only one. However, there are only a few moments on the album where an Opeth-style riff or passage is evident. Overall, the album is certainly worth the listen and you will find some of the songs will really grow on you through repeated listens.
27.03.2010 - 09:10
Roro

True
27.03.2010 - 10:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I see where you are going with the Opeth comparison, there is a song where they use keyboards, can't remember which one, and the tone is very similar to Opeth's tone. That was the only thing I thought was similar.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.03.2010 - 20:32
Raziel X

Great album, masterpiece, period
01.04.2010 - 12:55
Rating: 8
rockxq

I like it
02.04.2010 - 01:57
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Roro on 17.03.2010 at 12:57

Maybe Steven Wilson has something to do with that... just listen to that mellotron.
03.04.2010 - 12:48
shisha

Not so picturesque as Mabool, but still good. A bit more technical then needed. Production killed some of the biblical feeling from Mabool.

Hits total: 33871 | This month: 38