Metal Storm logo
Get Thrashed

Original post

Posted by , 24.01.2010 - 21:29
Recently I watched "Get Thrashed" movie for the second time, its a very nice movie when you compare it with other
metal movies as for example "A Headbanger's Journey". But there are some little mistakes in this movie in my opinion.
When we are talking about Thrash metal we cant ignore bands like Sepultura or Testament for sure. But in this movie
they talk near by 10 minutes about Sulicidal Tendencies and they dont talk about Testament and Sepultura as its needed.
They talk about Pantera which is not a Pure Thrash metal but dont give a minute to Flotsam And Jetsam and Testament. All in all
this is my own opinion, just wanted to know what you all other thrash fans think about it? which is more importnat
in thrash metal? Sepultura, Testament, Pantera, Flotsam And Jetsam or Suicidal Tendencies?

PS 1:this is the third Poll about the same thing (it was my fault ppl, sorry I was drunk!)

PS 2: special thanks to Wrathchild who gave back my right to open the poll again and again

Poll

Which is more important in movement of thrash metal?

Testament
Seplutura
Pantera
Suicidal Tendencies
Flotsam And Jetsam

Total votes: 84
26.01.2010 - 17:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I am done with this thread. some will get it, but as voting indicates, most won't. not worth the time.

people spouting their opinions on this thread thinking they know more about what thrash bands mattered than guys who were there is basically the same as, say, stating you know more about which 2nd Wave Norwegian BM bands mattered than Fenriz. some people are so full of themselves and their opinion that they blind themselves to how little they really know.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.01.2010 - 18:02
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
FACT is not what we like always, I thought ppl will choose Sepultura but they didnt.
27.01.2010 - 01:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I think we can close this thread now. By the way, TBG, what do you think of the song "Institutionalized?"
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.01.2010 - 01:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 27.01.2010 at 01:02

I think we can close this thread now. By the way, TBG, what do you think of the song "Institutionalized?"

can you explain me better cause I really cant understand you nowadays but just be careful cause Im not very kind as I always was.
27.01.2010 - 04:56
Storm Rider

I think here more important news. Megadeth with Testament & Exodus will tour together on March 2010 !!! Who's gonna see them...
27.01.2010 - 08:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 27.01.2010 at 01:14

Written by K✞ulu on 27.01.2010 at 01:02

can you explain me better cause I really cant understand you nowadays but just be careful cause Im not very kind as I always was.

I saying that this thread should be locked because there is nothing to discuss. And by the way, it is funny and absurd that all this thread was (and partly it's your fault) is bickering and insulting. But what is even more flabbergasting is the fact that you didn't even ask how Suicidal Tendencies actually influenced and developed thrash besides mixing it with punk? Because I actually don't see the whole point BitterCold and Marcel and others are trying to make, but why the hell do you have to scream your head of in nonconstructive arguments, saying things like "ST are a shit band" or smth..?

As far as "Institutionalized," a song by ST, have you listened to it? I just want to know your opinion about it.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.01.2010 - 09:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 27.01.2010 at 08:41

I saying that this thread should be locked because there is nothing to discuss. And by the way, it is funny and absurd that all this thread was (and partly it's your fault) is bickering and insulting. But what is even more flabbergasting is the fact that you didn't even ask how Suicidal Tendencies actually influenced and developed thrash besides mixing it with punk? Because I actually don't see the whole point BitterCold and Marcel and others are trying to make, but why the hell do you have to scream your head of in nonconstructive arguments, saying things like "ST are a shit band" or smth..?

As far as "Institutionalized," a song by ST, have you listened to it? I just want to know your opinion about it.

I never insult ppl I cant remember if I did even once, I dont follow ppl who insult someone here,there in society or anywhere and I dont like ppl who insult others, so plz dont be the one. (using ppl's faults as signatures or make a band to insult someone and ...)

but about ST, I was agree from the very first time that they were Influenced a lot of bands (almost all of them are not thrash, as for example Biohazard), please read my posts and then judge. Am I talking Arabic? I say they didnt pay attention to other bands which are very important. the other thing is that I asked 2 times about the bands who are influenced with ST and no one answered me yet. for example why no one talks about Biohazard over here?

I say it again, I dont have problem with ST's influence or importance I have problem with the movie which forgot about a lot of pure thrash bands and talk about a Groove metal band like Pantera so much. (votes shows that I am a little right about this either cause as I said before in MS Pantera has more fans but votes ...)

and about closing a thread, you are not in that place to say such things, I cant take interference.
27.01.2010 - 09:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
If you know so little about thrash that you have to ask others what bands have been influenced by ST, then you shouldn't be making thrash threads. Maybe listen to an Arabic Metallica Reload cover band instead?
27.01.2010 - 09:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 27.01.2010 at 09:13

If you know so little about thrash that you have to ask others what bands have been influenced by ST, then you shouldn't be making thrash threads.

yes I know very very little about thrash, I need to know which bands are their followers? just answer me if you can! it seems you are a big thrasher.
27.01.2010 - 09:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Metallica dude, Metallica
27.01.2010 - 09:44
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 27.01.2010 at 09:26

Metallica dude, Metallica

Im agree with you on this, they have influenced metallica with a Gorilla
27.01.2010 - 10:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
@ THE_BLACK_GOD.

If this is thread is about the fact that some important bands didn't get enough "coverage," then you shouldn't have made a poll out of this, but just try to have a discussion about the issue, and not make a thread about who "is more important in movement of thrash metal."

And dude, saying things like "... Suicidal Tendencies has made Rap Metal and its clear. they didnt do anything to Thrash metal just fucked it" is not smart. Then you ask why people insult you (of course they shouldn't do it, but man, you've just asked for it).

And still you haven't told me what you think about "Institutionalized."

P.S. And then seriously don't you think Suicidal Tendencies got the attention they got in the movie because the creators of the movie knew what they were talking about. Did you do enough research to say things you are saying? Have you actually listened to Suicidal Tendencies (not that it matters in the question whether they were influential or not, but still)? If you (and most people) know Testament and Sepultura better, does it mean they were more influential or that they made a huge contribution to the development of thrash?

Listen to the dudes that are 40 years old and are from the US; I am pretty sure they know better. Not that they have the supreme authority or that their opinion is law or whatever, but the whole fact that their opinions coincide with those of the creators of the movie says something. Just think about it.

And do some research before saying the things you have said.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.01.2010 - 10:15
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ktulu

yes I heard them years ago and I didnt like them, and about Rap Metal term I have to say that I used it for korn which was wrong either. I have my own opinion I dont believe in media.

plus this is a research itself, no one explained me which bands are their followers, if a band doesnt have fans or followers (just some unknown bands) why they are so important?!

Im really tired of this discussion I prefer to be quiet and see what ppl say.

btw I havent heard that song.
27.01.2010 - 10:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 27.01.2010 at 10:15

@ktulu

yes I heard them years ago and I didnt like them, and abou Rap Metal term I have to say that I used it for korn which was wrong either. I have my own opinion I dont believe in media.

plus this is a research itself, no one explained me which bands are their followers, if a band doesnt have fans or followers (just some unknown bands) why they are so important?!

ok... now you want to be quiet. good . You have to listen to "Institutionalized." It's amazing. The way it is sung, the rendering, and the riffs and stuff; it's a masterpiece in its own way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ. Besides, BitterCold posted this before.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.01.2010 - 10:37
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 27.01.2010 at 10:30

@ktulu

yes I heard them years ago and I didnt like them, and abou Rap Metal term I have to say that I used it for korn which was wrong either. I have my own opinion I dont believe in media.

ok... now you want to be quiet. good . You have to listen to "Institutionalized." It's amazing. The way it is sung, the rendering, and the riffs and stuff; it's a masterpiece in its own way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ. Besides, BitterCold posted this before.

Im downloading their works to take a look at them again.it seems this thread has made a lot of ppl to look at their works even me! so its not against them dont forget it, its (the poll) not against no one. just wanted to analyze this movie.
27.01.2010 - 11:03
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 27.01.2010 at 10:37

Written by K✞ulu on 27.01.2010 at 10:30

@ktulu

Im downloading their works to take a look at them again.it seems this thread has made a lot of ppl to look at their works even me! so its not against them dont forget it, its (the poll) not against no one. just wanted to analyze this movie.

So you made a thread when you know almost nothing about the topic, like I originally suggested. Sweet... please make more, and be sure to criticize others... remember, you're the only one who can "read English"
27.01.2010 - 14:26
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Dangerboner,

wow it seems Im really talking arabic hahahaha, this is a thread about what? ST? lol if its about it Ive heard them years ago!!! it seems I talk absolutely arabic man! but its not about ST man
27.01.2010 - 15:52
_HIV_

In my opinion Sepulturas beneath the remains and arise are 2 of the greatest thrash albums around. and to me blow away everything metallica did (and dont get me wrong i like metallica alot)
27.01.2010 - 16:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ktulu, I didnt like the song but it has nice lyrics.
04.02.2010 - 18:30
BrightNight

What a sad going on of useless discussion with people who dont listen to others only to themselves. Having internet at your proposal, great docu's and people on this forum who where in the middle of the Thrash movement...and still think you know better. This is not even about agreeing or disagreeing since the Big Four is simple fact.

But talking about which Thrash band is more important for the movement i dont think its that plain simple. What catches my eye is the ignorance of Testament from some people. Marcel, dont get me wrong your knowledge is plenty and your totally right about what you say. I agree with your statements about the importance of ST and the thrash movement as a whole. In this way Testament and say, Exodus or Death Angel are maybe less important. And i to think they are more then enough in the docu.

But saying that Testament is a second tier wannebee Metallica band...that hit my Testament fan boy heart a bit to much.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.01.2010 at 22:06

Simple Suicidal Tendencies of course.
And Testament, second-tier wannebee Metallica. First album was great but then wanted to emulate Metallica but they forgot that Metallica were the originals and they wre just followers.

Goes way to far pal.

The simple fact that Metallica was the first to bring out their album and steered up the Thrash movement does not mean that bands who brought out their cd later means they are "followers". The members of Testament where picking up their guitars and drumsticks at the same age and time as the members of Metallica, Slayer, Exodus and so on....Its the sound of that time. They might not started the movement the way the big four did, but they are certainly NOT followers. Testaments music is very different and has different approach to.

The way you state it, (seems to me) you can say all Thrash band followed Metallica. This is ofcourse more or less true in the sense of the movement...but not as music.

And talking nowdays (nothing to do with any discussion concerning the fact that is "the big four") lets not forget Testament holds the Thrash flag up high for the Thrash 'movement' (you dont like their last album i noticed...but thats only your oppinion). I only wanted to react on your little bit of Testament bashing thats all
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
05.02.2010 - 01:29
ToMegaTherion

Testament are more than number one on this list they are one of the best Thrash bands of all. Pantera are good, but I don't really consider them "Thrash" as such, same with Sepultura. Suicidal Tendancies and Floatsam Jetsam I have always considered to be quite mediocre in comparison to other Thrash bands. I would consider Exodus and Forbidden to be more important, and thats before I touch on the Megadeths, Metallicas and Venoms of the world.
05.02.2010 - 15:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BrightNight on 04.02.2010 at 18:30

And talking nowdays (nothing to do with any discussion concerning the fact that is "the big four") lets not forget Testament holds the Thrash flag up high for the Thrash 'movement' (you dont like their last album i noticed...but thats only your oppinion). I only wanted to react on your little bit of Testament bashing thats all

My Testament bashing was a crude oversimplifaction I agree
What pisses me off about them on a personal level is that they never followed up their brilliant debut album by anything that even comes close. Half of The New Order is still great but unfrotunately they lost the plot after that imo. And me calling them second-tier Metallica wannabees is due to especially Practice What You Preach and Souls Of Black, esepcially in Practice What You Preach they try to sound a lot like Metallica.
As for the band members picking up instruments at the same time as Metallica I beg to differ slightly cause Testament was formed as Legacy in 1983, the year Metallica released their debut after having played that sort of music for about one and a half to two years (remember Metallica already had recorded the largest part of Hit The Lights at the end of 1981).
I remember the Testamanent guys even saying in Get Thrashed that due to Metallica's TWO (don't believe Metal Archives in this respect) demos and Kill 'em All they started playing that sort of music.

Well, to sum it up, I am still pissed off that the talent that was Legacy and Testament never fully developed into the awesome beast it could have become.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2010 - 02:40
Scourge

Sepultura above Testament but not Metallica
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
08.02.2010 - 09:45
Storm Rider

Testament above all Thrash bands
08.02.2010 - 15:31
BrightNight

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.02.2010 at 15:20

Written by BrightNight on 04.02.2010 at 18:30

My Testament bashing was a crude oversimplifaction I agree
What pisses me off about them on a personal level is that they never followed up their brilliant debut album by anything that even comes close. Half of The New Order is still great but unfrotunately they lost the plot after that imo. And me calling them second-tier Metallica wannabees is due to especially Practice What You Preach and Souls Of Black, esepcially in Practice What You Preach they try to sound a lot like Metallica.
As for the band members picking up instruments at the same time as Metallica I beg to differ slightly cause Testament was formed as Legacy in 1983, the year Metallica released their debut after having played that sort of music for about one and a half to two years (remember Metallica already had recorded the largest part of Hit The Lights at the end of 1981).
I remember the Testamanent guys even saying in Get Thrashed that due to Metallica's TWO (don't believe Metal Archives in this respect) demos and Kill 'em All they started playing that sort of music.

Well, to sum it up, I am still pissed off that the talent that was Legacy and Testament never fully developed into the awesome beast it could have become.

A crude oversimplifaction...yes well said. You are forgiven

I can see what you mean, of all the albums they made, Practise What You Preach sounds the most alike with a older Metallica Album. You are right about their debut, simply a masterpiece and they changed the sound and feel a bit after that one i geuss. But i dont know if they could have been bigger and better if they didnt change their sound from the debut like you suggest. With The New Order and Practice What You Preach albums Testament continuing to grow musically and almost gaining the same level of popularity as the Big Four. Maybe your right...we never know. What they did do is made a more heavier Thrash sound. I think its quite funny how they first seemed to try to sound a bit more acceptable for the common public, then after that sounding more harsh and heavy even flirting with the death metal genre now and then.

Anyway...Metallica was earlier with their music yes. And i can imagine that a lot of the young kids of the same age who where playing in bands like Metallica became a lot more serious about it after hearing/seeing Metallica (if they can, why cant we?). This counts as following metallica in the way of "Thrash movement". And i would agree more if you state it like this. But i dont think you can classify this as "following" Metallica in the way of music...they are not directly influenced by Metallica, but just have the same influences from earlier bands (NWOBHM).
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
03.03.2010 - 11:42
elekctric

BTW....Not gonna vote for "Seplutura" //// are they even a band?
06.03.2010 - 08:06
blackwreath

I always thought of Sepultura as being more important to the rise of Death Metal.
19.03.2010 - 08:34
Storm Rider

For the current lineup Testament could became a legend anymore on Thrash bands