Metal Storm logo
Get Thrashed

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.01.2010 - 21:29
Recently I watched "Get Thrashed" movie for the second time, its a very nice movie when you compare it with other
metal movies as for example "A Headbanger's Journey". But there are some little mistakes in this movie in my opinion.
When we are talking about Thrash metal we cant ignore bands like Sepultura or Testament for sure. But in this movie
they talk near by 10 minutes about Sulicidal Tendencies and they dont talk about Testament and Sepultura as its needed.
They talk about Pantera which is not a Pure Thrash metal but dont give a minute to Flotsam And Jetsam and Testament. All in all
this is my own opinion, just wanted to know what you all other thrash fans think about it? which is more importnat
in thrash metal? Sepultura, Testament, Pantera, Flotsam And Jetsam or Suicidal Tendencies?

PS 1:this is the third Poll about the same thing (it was my fault ppl, sorry I was drunk!)

PS 2: special thanks to Wrathchild who gave back my right to open the poll again and again

Poll

Which is more important in movement of thrash metal?

Testament
Seplutura
Pantera
Suicidal Tendencies
Flotsam And Jetsam

Total votes: 84
25.01.2010 - 14:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I hate Suicidal Tendencies but its not why I opened this poll. its very clear I opened it cause I want to know what ppl think about. I even hate Anthrax's rapcore works or whatever you call the genre. (cause it has countless names!)
25.01.2010 - 19:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
For starters, The Black Nub, you only watched the video and not the special features, in which guys from Municipal Waste, Merciless Death, and others talk at length about Testament (they even interview Eric and Chuck), F&J, Vio-Lence, Death Angel, as well as countless other thrash bands from various US states, Canada, and elsewhere around the world.

Testament, as has been stated, didn't merit inclusion in the limited time available for the actual documentary. Why? because as has been said, they came later than other Bay Area Bands and didn't bring anything particularly new or innovative to the table. Were they good? Sure. Were they influential? Sure. Ultimately, did they have the impact or importance of either ST or Pantera? NO.

Sepultura seems to straddle a line between Thrash and Death. "Dead Embryonic Cells" from Beneath The Remains was in the original Death's Door release. And that album wasn't released until '89... about the time Thrash had reached it's apex in popularity.

The importance of Suicidal Tendencies is significant. They helped lead the cross-over charge that brought a hard core edge to Thrash, as the documentary stated, increasing aggression some and keeping it more "street", that is grounded in reality than fantasy. They also helped bridge the gap between fan bases, making it acceptable for Hard Core fans to like Slayer, and Metalheads to like Agnostic Front. They brought two separate, and often at war with one another, communities together.

Mike Muir was one of the biggest opponents of Censorship in the US, going head to head with Tipper Gore and the PMRC. (wish i could dig up the clip of him correcting Tipper face to face on either Donahue or Oprah - forgot which show it was on) ... others wrote songs against Censorship. He grabbed a copy of the 1st Amendment and took the message to an audience outside the thrash community.

And have nothing to do with rap.

Institutionalized

Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu

You Can't Bring Me Down - Rocky fucking shreds. And pay attention, you might recognize the bassist.

Trip At The Brain

at a few spots his delivery/cadence is a spoken bit, not rap, but certainly adding character to the songs.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2010 - 19:28
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Hahahaha, it seems that Testament is a scum, Special features, lol. it was better for Crossover to be on that section. Crossover or whatver you call it cause it doesnt exist for True Trash fans, it is a real bullshit, it fucked Trash metal and didnt help it. and for the last time I say that plz try to call me the black god, if not I will talk you as you deserve it. you are older than me I respect you, you are a staff I respect you. but I dont respect your rudeness.
25.01.2010 - 19:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 19:28

Hahahaha, it seems that Testament is a scum, Special features, lol. it was better for Crossover to be on that section. Crossover or whatver you call it cause it doesnt exist for True Trash fans, it is a real bullshit, it fucked Trash metal and didnt help it. and for the last time I say that plz try to call me the black god, if not I will talk you as you deserve it. you are older than me I respect you, you are a staff I respect you. but I dont respect your rudeness.

So now I am all of a sudden not a true thrash fan back then? Crossover helped thrash metal and didn't fuck it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2010 - 20:42
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 19:28
Why should people respect you when you keep wasting posts with bullshit such as the middle sentence I've put in bold here? True thrash fans don't believe in crossover? Aside from the outright falsity as evidenced by many thrashers' positive reviews of Speak English or Die and so on, who gives a damn?

Taking it back to the specifics of this poll, are you arguing for Testament's recognition based on their 80s stuff or their later 90s material? I'm now wondering if anyone thinks their Low-Demonic turnaround had any influence on the death-thrash to come around the new millennium...

And one more thing that just popped into my mind - this thread's title features the phrase "movement of thrash metal." Not "stagnation of thrash metal." Earlier you said you consider a band to have higher importance and influence when it simply has more fans. But if this more popular band is doing nothing new and just repeating the same formula, that is when the style stagnates. And thus the band is irrelevant.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
25.01.2010 - 20:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I voted for Sepultura not Testament.
25.01.2010 - 20:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 20:48

Why do you believe you know something about a time you never lived... ?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.01.2010 - 21:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 25.01.2010 at 20:52

believe in a movie or the time? and the other thing is that we live in now, and now they are important again and now they influence a lot of bands either. for now Testament and Sepultura seems more important than Suicidal Tendencies. but the important thing is that I dont have problem with Suicidal Tendencies, I have problem with the movie cause movie hasnt pay attention to a lot of bands which are very important as Testament. Im a Metallica fan more than others so why I dont Worship this movie? just for ppl who think Im in love with Metallica, I think they talk more about metallica either, they could talk about other bands and cut some useless parts about metallica, talkin too much doesnt help anything.
25.01.2010 - 21:03
Syk
myspace/bonerama
My question was not a competition between these two, but because in your earlier posts you seemed terribly aggrieved by T's low coverage.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
25.01.2010 - 21:05
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 25.01.2010 at 21:03

My question was not a competition between the two, but because in your earlier posts you seemed terribly aggrieved by T's low coverage.

I dont like what Crossover brought to Thrash metal, Im against it Im against with Anthrax's none thrash metal works either. I think its my opinion I dont say Im right or not, but its just my opinion.
25.01.2010 - 21:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Whatever you like doesn't matter one flying fuck. I wasn't a 'fan of Hitler', but that doesn't change one fucking bit about what happened, does it?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.01.2010 - 21:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 21:00

Written by Lucas on 25.01.2010 at 20:52

believe in a movie or the time? and the other thing is that we live in now, and now they are important again and now they influence a lot of bands either. for now Testament and Sepultura seems more important than Suicidal Tendencies. but the important thing is that I dont have problem with Suicidal Tendencies, I have problem with the movie cause movie hasnt pay attention to a lot of bands which are very important as Testament. Im a Metallica fan more than others so why I dont Worship this movie? just for ppl who think Im in love with Metallica, I think they talk more about metallica either, they could talk about other bands and cut some useless parts about metallica, talkin too much doesnt help anything.

you illustrate the very problem yourself.

"but the important thing is that I dont have problem with Suicidal Tendencies, I have problem with the movie cause movie hasnt pay attention to a lot of bands which are very important as Testament."

That is the problem. YOU believe Testament is more important.

(The notion you don't have a problem with ST is laughable given statements you have made earlier this thread)

The movie is drawing attention to Suicidal Tendencies because there are a lot of people, like YOU, who don't understand how influential and important they were.

As I have stated multiple times before, the producers of this movie know a hell of a lot more about thrash than you do. To say your opinion is correct is to say their opinion is incorrect.

In short you are saying you know more about thrash than they do.

That is a laughable notion.

As for "respect" - you don't show any respect for anyone. I treat you rudely because I have treated you nicely in the past, and you have treated me rudely for my efforts. I have decided that you are no longer worth the effort to be remotely civil to.

This thread is the perfect illustration of how utterly, frustratingly dense and stupid you are.

The entire premise is based on the absurd notion that someone who was a couple years old, living in the middle east somewhere is more versed on what bands were more important than the guys who actually lived and PLAYED IN important bands in the thrash metal movement.

That is like me stating I know more about what is going on in Iran than you do because I saw a four minute story on the news.

Nutshell version of this:

You are wrong.

You are too stupid and headstrong to realize you are wrong.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2010 - 21:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 25.01.2010 at 21:09

Whatever you like doesn't matter one flying fuck. I wasn't a 'fan of Hitler', but that doesn't change one fucking bit about what happened, does it?

I dont give a shit about hitler. and I didnt get u to be honest.
25.01.2010 - 21:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 21:13

I was pointing out that opinions don't change the course of history.
----

25.01.2010 - 21:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I think this poll is a good area to show who helped the movement of Thrash Metal, just for more information avoid to say Fanboys vote here! cause Fanboys dont gave a shit if I talked about these bands influence about BLACK METAL. the other thing is that PANTERA has more fans than all of these bands but Im sure that PANTERA cant win here.

(the ex poll which is locked now: Testamnet had 2 times more votes more than anyone, dont get me wrong Ive vote for Sepultura!)
25.01.2010 - 21:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 25.01.2010 at 21:15

Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 21:13

I was pointing out that opinions don't change the course of history.

history says they made a Gorilla for thrash metal which is their most influence in metal ever.
25.01.2010 - 21:47
ferencziffra
The Black God, finally! You're my man. Fully support you about Testament, about shitty crossover, about Anthrax not sounding thrash, and all that shit. Testament deserve to be on the Big 4, not Anthrax.
25.01.2010 - 21:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by ferencziffra on 25.01.2010 at 21:47

The Black God, finally! You're my man. Fully support you about Testament, about shitty crossover, about Anthrax not sounding thrash, and all that shit. Testament deserve to be on the Big 4, not Anthrax.

The big 4 is all about sales in the eighties early nineties... so Testament have no place to be on there. Testament were followers not originators unlike the big four.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2010 - 21:51
DayFly
1. Historical facts are not a matter of public opinion (despite countless attempts at revisionism).

2. You are the one with the worst attitude here, tbg. Drop it.
25.01.2010 - 21:57
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
All followed metallica so what?
25.01.2010 - 22:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by DayFly on 25.01.2010 at 21:51

1. Historical facts are not a matter of public opinion (despite countless attempts at revisionism).

2. You are the one with the worst attitude here, tbg. Drop it.

I dont think that now is not a part of history! even if Testament and Sepultura were more imprtant than Pantera and Suicidal Tendencies when it comes to Thrash Metal in history. ppl keep talking abougt Cross, I talk about Thrash.
25.01.2010 - 22:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Crossover is thrash...
----

25.01.2010 - 22:12
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
As Rap-core is metal, korn is metal and they were influenced a lot of bands but metal ppl just dont like them so much.
25.01.2010 - 22:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
You really are missing the total gist of everything thrash concerned.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2010 - 22:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.01.2010 at 21:50

The big 4 is all about sales in the eighties early nineties... so Testament have no place to be on there. Testament were followers not originators unlike the big four.

i think we waste our time. too many kids are too fucking stupid and do not understand what "The Big Four" is/were and never will grasp it.

From now on, whenever anyone spouts that "Band A" should be out of the Big Four, and "Band B" should be in, i am just going to quote them in the "metalheads are teh smart" thread.
----

25.01.2010 - 22:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 25.01.2010 at 22:19

i think we waste our time. too many kids are too fucking stupid and do not understand what "The Big Four" is/were and never will grasp it.

From now on, whenever anyone spouts that "Band A" should be out of the Big Four, and "Band B" should be in, i am just going to quote them in the "metalheads are teh smart" thread.

Or maybe post a link in the funny stuff on the internet thread?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2010 - 22:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Sepultura i can't judge if they're more influential than any of those bands BUT i do consider them highly influential for being the first internationally successful metal band from a third-world country(and for a long while one of the only bands from all South America to be well-established internationally, i'm not sure there are others even now other than Sepultura, Angra and the connected acts, ok maybe Rata Blanca, Uaral or Krisiun too but that's stretching it a bit too far).

so it's pretty simple, when you say "the metal scene in Brazil", you actually say "Sepultura". and that's why i think they are/were extremely important to the development of the metal scene in South America.

why do i hail them like this? well, imagine the beginnings of a band in the Bay Area scene.. they'd typically live reckless, get drunk and party every night while working some bullshit job to pay the rent and buy gear. now imagine coupling that with even shittier jobs, albums and demo's that are more difficult to get, way higher prices for instruments and gear and shit, less clubs to perform in and way less concerts from international bands, more prejudice towards the metal scene, less security on the streets with gang wars running wild and generally a much shabbier existence and you get what the guys at Sepultura had to go through to release their metal. like with Anvil, i'm not a great fan of their music but i highly respect them for getting through so much shit ultimately to make music.
25.01.2010 - 22:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 25.01.2010 at 22:26

IMO (yes, i think we can all have an opinion on this) Sepultura i can't judge if they're more influential than any of those bands BUT i do consider them highly influential for being the first internationally successful metal band from a third-world country(and for a long while one of the only bands from all South America to be well-established internationally, i'm not sure there are others even now other than Sepultura, Angra and the connected acts, ok maybe Rata Blanca, Uaral or Krisiun too but that's stretching it a bit too far).

so it's pretty simple, when you say "the metal scene in Brazil", you actually say "Sepultura". and that's why i think they are/were extremely important to the development of the metal scene in South America.

and this was one of my reasons which Ive talked about it in my locked ex poll. ty
25.01.2010 - 22:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 25.01.2010 at 22:19

and one of those kids is Mustaine who is not agree with you he says grate 5 cause he knows better than you! post it as a funny stuff for Marcel who seems so weak nowadays.
25.01.2010 - 22:33
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Ive already felt like adding some more schooling to this thread a few times but the more I read, the more it seems useless. Seems like such things as reason, logic, facts and analysis by real experts simply do not matter to our dear The_Black_Dog...