08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 15 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2530 users
25.05.2012 - 05:08
Goat

My only complaint is that it feels long for the sake of being long. Other than that, I enjoyed it.
----
Stay metal, my friends.
12.09.2012 - 08:48
Rating: 6
JÄY
Metal slave
Well there are a lot of folks that think the great maiden have never really come back even when Bruce rejoined, but their last 3 albums had some really great moments, in my eyes...

Then they released this............it's not good music but it's terrible for maiden
12.11.2012 - 23:03
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Very solid Maiden album. I don't think it's as good as A Matter of Life and Death or Brave New World out of all their 2000s era albums, but that doesn't make it terrible (like SO MANY others think apparently). I'd rank it around the same lines as Dance of Death. Very enjoyable album. Hopefully they'll outdo themselves with their next album.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
13.11.2012 - 09:22
Vasil de Shumen

This album is pretentious, boring and disgusting produced
06.03.2013 - 02:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Secend time I ak listening this and maybe last one, totaly sucks, one big fucking let dawn.... if next will be same than band shood split up
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.03.2013 - 04:20
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 21.09.2011 at 20:12

Looks like he still has new ideas (the whole space concept is not a new one i realise but i mean new for maiden)

"Somewhere In Time", someone?
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
06.03.2013 - 13:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.03.2013 at 04:20

Haha, ouch!
06.03.2013 - 20:32
Dedcalm
Account deleted
The last 3 albums have been poor but it isn't our place to tell a band they should split up.
06.03.2013 - 22:27
Rating: 8
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish

Looks like he still has new ideas (the whole space concept is not a new one i realise but i mean new for maiden)

Somewhere In Time is about... well, time. Not space. Space time, not even in the space-time continuum.
07.03.2013 - 01:02
Lord_Regnier

Written by Azarath on 06.03.2013 at 22:27

Somewhere In Time is about... well, time. Not space. Space time, not even in the space-time continuum.

Perhaps, but I've always seen SIT, to a certain extent, as some futuristic concept, kinda related to science-fiction.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
07.03.2013 - 19:45
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.03.2013 at 01:02

Perhaps, but I've always seen SIT, to a certain extent, as some futuristic concept, kinda related to science-fiction.

I can agree with that, especially concerning the artwork(s).
22.08.2013 - 22:34
JÄY
Metal slave
Still can't believe this thing is above a 7
10.03.2014 - 11:24
Rating: 9
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by JÄY on 22.08.2013 at 22:34

Still can't believe this thing is above a 7

Still can't believe this album is below 8

Very good album, maybe their best since Brave New World. Underrated just like 'No Prayer For The Dying' (both albums completely different though). Btw this album and 'A Matter Of Life And Death' should be tagged as 'Progressive Heavy Metal'.
10.03.2014 - 19:36
ADIresiduos

I've been a Miden fan for years now (since the 80's) and of course I like some albums more than others. The ones I don't like a bit are the ones they recorded with Blaze... I mean, from hearing Bruce and his awesome voice for years and then hearing this guy, to me it was a downer.
The Final Frontier is not one of my favorites: besides 2-3 songs that I really like from it, the rest sound common commercial Maiden.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still and will always be a Maiden fan, but as it can happen to any recording artist, they have their hits and also their misses... good thing they have had more of the first! Up the irons!!
12.03.2014 - 05:25
Mattybu

Written by Hex_Omega on 10.03.2014 at 11:24

Btw this album and 'A Matter Of Life And Death' should be tagged as 'Progressive Heavy Metal'.

I think is a pretty lackluster album no doubt, but if the intent was to be a progressive heavy metal album that makes it even worse on it's own merits it's a competently performed but for many (including me), boredom inducing heavy metal album.
12.03.2014 - 10:49
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Mattybu on 12.03.2014 at 05:25

I think is a pretty lackluster album no doubt, but if the intent was to be a progressive heavy metal album that makes it even worse

This is their most progressive album. Songs like 'Isle Of Avalon', 'Starblind' or 'When The Wild Wind Blows' sound 'almost' like Prog Metal. I wish latest Dream Theater album was that good.
12.03.2014 - 12:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hex_Omega on 10.03.2014 at 11:24
Still can't believe this album is below 8

Very good album, maybe their best since Brave New World. Underrated just like 'No Prayer For The Dying' (both albums completely different though). Btw this album and 'A Matter Of Life And Death' should be tagged as 'Progressive Heavy Metal'.

For me, "A Matter Of Life And Death" is far superior to this album. It's far more cohesive, and consistent. Most of the songs on "The Final Frontier" are bland, meandering, and not memorable at all. I agree that No Prayer is very underrated, but not this album. It's definitely one of the worst Maiden albums to me...
12.03.2014 - 23:58
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
It's the second weakest of the reunion albums (better than Dance of Death) but it still deserves a 7-8 rating, primarily because of the second half.

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.03.2014 at 12:07

Most of the songs on "The Final Frontier" are bland, meandering, and not memorable at all.

I find them very memorable and not bland at all. Sometimes they meander.
13.03.2014 - 01:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by deadone on 12.03.2014 at 13:56
+1.

Though even as one of Maiden's poorer efforts, it still rate a 7/Good in my book. The Blaze era is quite average though - not many highlights, poor production, over long repetitive songs etc. Blaze did better on his own.

Personally out of the newer Maiden albums I prefer Dance of Death.

Well, it's not a terrible album in it's own right, but it's still not a patch on Maiden's best albums when taken overall. There's 3 songs on the album I love, the rest range from average, to completely forgettable.

Here's how I'd list the reunion albums, from best to worst:

Brave New World
A Matter Of Life And Death
Dance Of Death
The Final Frontier
18.04.2014 - 03:35
mikeprado30

Well, then, after listening again with more attention, I'll give a higher note this time (7 instead the original 5 I gave first).

Nice album, but not at the level of the three first ones of the Bruce new era.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
22.08.2014 - 08:25
mikeprado30

Written by Death To Posers on 04.12.2010 at 05:25

I thought it was good. It gets better as you listen to more so yeah.

That comment!

Undoubtedly, I enjoy more with every listen this album. Songs like Mother of Mercy and Isle of Avalon have found its niche on me, and Coming Home, that I found it dull and boring is now another nice tune for myself.

I think this album is a grower. Maybe won't get in the listener at first time (specially if we talk about the longtime fans from the 70's-80's) but it will be worth, I can assure it.

Now my rate grows from 7 to 8.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
15.09.2014 - 04:42
joshsteph

I love Iron Maiden, it's my favourite band. but I can't befriend this album at all. I have nothing against their step towards a more progressive (?) style, since they did it on A Matter Of Life And Death already and I adore that album. The Final Frontier seems very forced, and after many listenings the only thing popping in my mind is El Dorado's chorus. nothing else. Oh, and The Talisman, which sounds like something left off the Matter album.The rest is generic, sounding like the Blaze era (the main theme in The Alchemist sounds very similar to the one in Man On The Edge) mixed with the Seventh Son period. Nicko's drumming is brilliant through the whole album, and he's the one saving most of the songs in my opinion (maybe that's why they really accentuated the drums). The Wicker Man, Wildest Dreams, Different World were great openings, The Final Frontier is nowhere compared to the usual powerful openings of a Maiden album. Of course being unusual is not a bad thing, but it's just very weak as an opening. Well, even if I love Iron Maiden, this album can't get friendly to my ears.
06.11.2014 - 21:26
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
7.4 rating for this album, you guys are crazy.
20.02.2015 - 16:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How many of you have listened it after it was out? I mean more then once?
----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2015 - 21:00
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
It's been a while since I listened to the whole thing in one sitting, but I often give some of the longer songs a spin.

Just now, I've listened to the second half.
13.04.2015 - 16:40
Troutface Killah

Giving this record another round of plays lately myself and find that I'm really digging it this time...

Although I did not care much for "A Matter of Life and Death", I believe tracks 6 - 10 on this album are some of Maiden's best work. It's a more mature, prog rock oriented version of the band, not the balls out NWOBHM that we all know and with that said, it needs to be listened with a different attitude. As much as I love that old Maiden sound, I hope their next album is more like this, focusing more on that sound and I guess "perfecting" it.

They shouldn't try to make another "Number of the Beast" or even another "Brave New World" for that matter. I believe they are going in a good direction here.

Of course this is all just my opinion.

Get well Bruce! Up the Irons!
29.05.2015 - 12:27
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 29.05.2015 at 11:44

Criminally underrated album. "The Talisman", and "When The Wild Wind Blows" are one of the best songs made in this century.

Tú si que sabes jeje =) (yes, you know)

Up the Irons!
07.07.2015 - 00:37
MisfitMel

Http://www.deviantart.com/art/There-can-only-be-one-538555926
13.07.2015 - 21:32
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Bad English on 20.02.2015 at 16:22

I have many times, why?
13.07.2015 - 21:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hex_Omega on 13.07.2015 at 21:32

Written by Bad English on 20.02.2015 at 16:22

I have many times, why?

just question because I have only once and it sucked, tried 2 times and cant
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 66411 | This month: 132