08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 16

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2530 users
08.03.2010 - 00:49
regallmigthy

OMG I WANT THISSSSSS
08.03.2010 - 18:10
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I'm looking forward to thia release. I hope it's gonna be better than their last two albums which wre rather uneven, especially DOD.
12.03.2010 - 21:51
Rating: 8
JF ooo

Boys, quite please. IM is surely one of best metal bands ever ( for me is best ). Yeah, they hadaverage albums ( all 90s ), but last 3 albums was nice and far better than albs in 90s. Yes, reunion albums are not 80s classics, but that times will never be !!! They´re oldier, best times have gone, but they still make good stuff, BNW was great, DOD has some great moments, AMOLAD also had. If new album will be like BNW , hoping even better, I will be glad and will ebjoy this because maybe will come 1-2 after this and band will hang up like Scorpions will soon did. SO, I´m glad in my 34-age, they´re still on, I´ve seen them twicw alive and were perfect ( of course, Bruce´s voice is fading during concert, but he´s after 50age old man, Halford´s heights also falling down ). AND I READ, ALBUM WILL BE LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM LATEST ( said Nico), I´M AWAITING SOMETHING GREAT. Up Irons !
13.03.2010 - 02:46
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
Can't wait for the New album
16.03.2010 - 05:04
Rating: 5
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I'm impressed, this album haven't been released yet and the discussion is longer than the Burzum's new album thread, I think people should discuss here the album, not the band, there is a thread for that guys (sorry about my bitching, just my thoughts).
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.03.2010 - 16:33
MeloDeathViking

Wow, people are really worked up about new era of Maiden lol. I personally enjoy all of the Maiden albums from the the '00s. I've been listening to all three for a week now trying to brush up on the new stuff so I can get into the songs when I see them in July. Honestly, the only albums I don't love are the one between SSOASS and BNW. SSOASS and Powerslave are still my favorites though. I am definitely looking forward to the new album. Call me a fanboy if you want, cause maybe that's what I am, but this is still one of most anticipated albums of the last couple years
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
18.03.2010 - 02:09
Opeth1992

Written by Ellrohir on 05.03.2010 at 00:58

How you even dare to mention Wintersun here

Wintersun is an amazing band, I think they are worthy of being mentioned in a forum about Maiden. Dude, they've released one album and people are already hungrily waiting for the next, even after 6 years. I personally am highly excited for both albums, also the new Nevermore album...:banger2:
18.03.2010 - 05:55
Richard

It's strange that 2 of our users say they already HAVE this album, as the release date is about 5 months away..!
----
18.03.2010 - 11:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Opeth1992 on 18.03.2010 at 02:09

Written by Ellrohir on 05.03.2010 at 00:58

How you even dare to mention Wintersun here

Wintersun is an amazing band, I think they are worthy of being mentioned in a forum about Maiden. Dude, they've released one album and people are already hungrily waiting for the next, even after 6 years. I personally am highly excited for both albums, also the new Nevermore album...:banger2:

sigh...

(i like Wintersun's music, but come on!)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.03.2010 - 16:57
Roro

Mmm intersting....
18.03.2010 - 18:15
kaymanklynman

Hi i am new here, but i will say this: thoose who complain about the new stuff of maiden should rebember that back in the 80s ssoass was crushed by the critics.

up the irons. Brasil.
18.03.2010 - 18:15
kaymanklynman

Sorry (remember)
18.03.2010 - 18:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by kaymanklynman on 18.03.2010 at 18:15

Hi i am new here, but i will say this: thoose who complain about the new stuff of maiden should rebember that back in the 80s ssoass was crushed by the critics.

No, it wasn't.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2010 - 21:05
Enorma

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2010 at 18:20

Written by kaymanklynman on 18.03.2010 at 18:15

No, it wasn't.

OWNED xD

High hopes 4 this one!!! also i heard there is a rumor about the title track being more than 14 minutes long =D
26.03.2010 - 06:31
DP_Megachiva
Account deleted
I can't wait
21.04.2010 - 10:43
Pestilence

All I have to say about all this is, really? You do realize that Dinosaurs walked the earth, right? You do realize he journeyed across the land? And yet no one appreciates his remarkable tale. I am shocked.
28.04.2010 - 16:58
Rating: 6
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Pestilence on 21.04.2010 at 10:43

All I have to say about all this is, really? You do realize that Dinosaurs walked the earth, right? You do realize he journeyed across the land? And yet no one appreciates his remarkable tale. I am shocked.

lol @ this
04.05.2010 - 06:36
trendkill-

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2010 at 16:00

Written by Baz Anderson on 05.03.2010 at 13:51

Iron Maiden are clearly still the most popular metal band in the world.

Maybe when it comes down to blind fanboyism
But not sales wise and concert attendance wise.

where does fanboyism come in to play?
your huge comment seemed rather fanboyint to me tbh.
06.05.2010 - 23:05
shadow616

IM - New Wave of how to earn some money... some? Huge mountains of money by doing shit...
----
www.soundbastards.pl
www.musicmetal.org
www.rycerze.wp.pl
19.05.2010 - 08:13
Torolf~Godsmote

I fucking hate it when people trash at bands that have been around since before you were suckin yo momma's titties and before yo mamma was sucking your grammas titties *Figure of speech*. Whoever that was who said Maiden sucked in the 90's till now why dont you back your pathetic piece of shit mouth up and try and produse the amazing music that Maiden has. I have one thing to say, Iron Maiden is thee best motherfucking Metal band ever. And btw I agree 100% about what Powerslavex said, because Im going crazy as well. UP THE IRONS FROM CANADA MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wall:
19.05.2010 - 08:19
Torolf~Godsmote

Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 13:47

Written by Angelic Storm on 05.03.2010 at 03:22

As for the above arguement, I have to say I dont believe Maiden have EVER put out a truly bad album.

And what about "No Prayer For The Dying", "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI"?
They're all pure pathetic suckage. If Iron Maiden weren't printed on the cover, if they'd been released by some unknown band, no one would care for this crap.

You are fucking stupid Oh my god, you are severly fucked in the head. Man, if you think Bruce sucks then fuck off and go listen to rap,,, Piece of shit,,,, you play better then Bruce. *I really hope their is a middle finger smiley* Good there is,, so fuck you faggot ALL OF THE STUFF MAIDEN PRODUCED KICKS ASS. Fear of the Dark was amazing, No Prayer for the Dying was amazing, Somewhere in time was great, All their stuff is fucking epic. Powerslave however is their best...

"Fear Of The Dark" is the worst album they've done with Bruce, and even that contained a few good songs.

No. "No Prayer For The Dying" is, due to godawful production and Bruce's worst vocals ever.
A special mention to the atrocious garbage "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" is.

The two Blaze Bayley albums were a bit dodgy also, but were rescued by having some amazing songs mixed in with the filler.

Not a single song from the Blaze era is listenable, imo. Blaze sucked donkey balls and the music itself sucked major ass at that time. Both albums they made with Blaze are pure defiling of their legacy. Those abominations should never have been recorded. Garbage. Utter crap.

All 3 of the comeback albums with Bruce have been very strong, IMO. Although "Dance Of Death" is the worst of the 3 as it has the most filler.

They're much less bad the 90s stuff but the new albums with Bruce are quite boring and lack any kind of energy. They sound only like a commercial product released only for the sake of money. I see them only as a pretext to remind people that the band is still alive and play their old songs live on stage, no more. Bruce has lost much power in his voice and other problem is the songs have lots of weak parts (those I call the mock progressive parts) and they still make many songs with those boring soft intros they started to make on "The X Factor". I hate those whiny intros that often come back in the middle or end of the song.

As for their 80's material, its mostly of a very high standard, and I struggle to find fault with it. Other than maybe a couple of fillers on the first two albums, and the downright stupid "Quest For Fire" from "Piece Of Mind"! lol
Although I find NOTB, "Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time", and SSOASS to be pretty much flawless albums, my pick for best Maiden album is "Powerslave". That album is absolute perfection in the Maiden catalogue.

Indeed, their 80s albums don't have many flaws. Imo, only a few average songs here and there. And "Quest For Fire" is probably the first song that cames to my mind when I think of weak songs from their 80s stuff, so I guess we totally agree here.
"Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son" are all flawless, imo. I have a sligth preference for SIT but, to be honest, I've never been able to decide which album I like the most between them.
19.05.2010 - 08:26
Torolf~Godsmote

Written by Torolf~Godsmote on 19.05.2010 at 08:19

Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 13:47

As for the above arguement, I have to say I dont believe Maiden have EVER put out a truly bad album.

And what about "No Prayer For The Dying", "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI"?
They're all pure pathetic suckage. If Iron Maiden weren't printed on the cover, if they'd been released by some unknown band, no one would care for this crap.

You are fucking stupid Oh my god, you are severly fucked in the head. Man, if you think Bruce sucks then fuck off and go listen to rap,,, Piece of shit,,,, you play better then Bruce. *I really hope their is a middle finger smiley* Good there is,, so fuck you faggot ALL OF THE STUFF MAIDEN PRODUCED KICKS ASS. Fear of the Dark was amazing, No Prayer for the Dying was amazing, Somewhere in time was great, All their stuff is fucking epic. Powerslave however is their best...

"Fear Of The Dark" is the worst album they've done with Bruce, and even that contained a few good songs.

No. "No Prayer For The Dying" is, due to godawful production and Bruce's worst vocals ever.
A special mention to the atrocious garbage "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" is.

The two Blaze Bayley albums were a bit dodgy also, but were rescued by having some amazing songs mixed in with the filler.

Not a single song from the Blaze era is listenable, imo. Blaze sucked donkey balls and the music itself sucked major ass at that time. Both albums they made with Blaze are pure defiling of their legacy. Those abominations should never have been recorded. Garbage. Utter crap.

All 3 of the comeback albums with Bruce have been very strong, IMO. Although "Dance Of Death" is the worst of the 3 as it has the most filler.

They're much less bad the 90s stuff but the new albums with Bruce are quite boring and lack any kind of energy. They sound only like a commercial product released only for the sake of money. I see them only as a pretext to remind people that the band is still alive and play their old songs live on stage, no more. Bruce has lost much power in his voice and other problem is the songs have lots of weak parts (those I call the mock progressive parts) and they still make many songs with those boring soft intros they started to make on "The X Factor". I hate those whiny intros that often come back in the middle or end of the song.

As for their 80's material, its mostly of a very high standard, and I struggle to find fault with it. Other than maybe a couple of fillers on the first two albums, and the downright stupid "Quest For Fire" from "Piece Of Mind"! lol
Although I find NOTB, "Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time", and SSOASS to be pretty much flawless albums, my pick for best Maiden album is "Powerslave". That album is absolute perfection in the Maiden catalogue.

Indeed, their 80s albums don't have many flaws. Imo, only a few average songs here and there. And "Quest For Fire" is probably the first song that cames to my mind when I think of weak songs from their 80s stuff, so I guess we totally agree here.
"Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son" are all flawless, imo. I have a sligth preference for SIT but, to be honest, I've never been able to decide which album I like the most between them.

And btw Angel Storm, what the fuck you make absolutely noooooooooooooo sense what so ever... first you say they never produced a bad album and then you go and trash them yourself. All you ppl who have been trashing dont no shit about what you are talking about at all. Dont even call yourselves Maiden fans, because you are all idiots. If you think Maiden produced "Bad albums" as you stated that they DIDNT If Im not mistaken,,, Then grab a fucking mike with 5 other band members behind you, and try to sound or do better. Obviusly you cant so dont talk shit about something you dont know... Away with your filth
19.05.2010 - 15:44
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Torolf~Godsmote on 19.05.2010 at 08:26
And btw Angel Storm, what the fuck you make absolutely noooooooooooooo sense what so ever... first you say they never produced a bad album and then you go and trash them yourself. All you ppl who have been trashing dont no shit about what you are talking about at all. Dont even call yourselves Maiden fans, because you are all idiots. If you think Maiden produced "Bad albums" as you stated that they DIDNT If Im not mistaken,,, Then grab a fucking mike with 5 other band members behind you, and try to sound or do better. Obviusly you cant so dont talk shit about something you dont know... Away with your filth

Woah...how many branches on the stupid tree did you bang off on your way to earth? Where exactly did I "trash" any Maiden album? In NONE of the posts of mine you quoted, did I trash any Maiden album. Yep, I did say that some were weaker than others, or had some filler. But that IS NOT the same as ''trashing'' those albums. I think EVERY Maiden album contains some good songs, and if you'd bother to read my posts properly, you'd have realised that anyways. If you're not a troll, then you're just a complete dumbo! If you're going to criticise stuff Ive said, then please, criticise what I actually said, instead of putting words in my mouth and accusing me of saying things which I clearly didnt. Geez...lol
19.05.2010 - 18:19
Rating: 4
Fat & Sassy!

A big WTF @ this PowerSlave assclown.
19.05.2010 - 23:53
Lord_Regnier

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 19.05.2010 at 18:19

A big WTF @ this PowerSlave assclown.

Indeed. What a retard and blind fanboy.

By the way, Powerslave scumbag, I already listened to metal before the day you were born.
It's people like you who make me despise metalheads and think some of them are a waste of sperm.

And about listening to rap and all the shit you said, check at the bands I'm listening to. All of them are way more harsh and extreme than Maiden. Funny, how some people who suck the cock of mainstream metal artists label extreme metal fans as faggots, sometimes.
You would do us a favor by choking in your sleep or jumping down a bridge.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
20.05.2010 - 02:38
Torolf~Godsmote

Written by Angelic Storm on 19.05.2010 at 15:44

Written by Torolf~Godsmote on 19.05.2010 at 08:26

Woah...how many branches on the stupid tree did you bang off on your way to earth? Where exactly did I "trash" any Maiden album? In NONE of the posts of mine you quoted, did I trash any Maiden album. Yep, I did say that some were weaker than others, or had some filler. But that IS NOT the same as ''trashing'' those albums. I think EVERY Maiden album contains some good songs, and if you'd bother to read my posts properly, you'd have realised that anyways. If you're not a troll, then you're just a complete dumbo! If you're going to criticise stuff Ive said, then please, criticise what I actually said, instead of putting words in my mouth and accusing me of saying things which I clearly didnt. Geez...lol

K first thing, get better lines Lol, and second, I read your postes and ok, Im sorry, It was probably cause I was too full of anger that I missread your posts or confused them with other ppls. So with that said I apoligize. *Btw my favourte album of theres is "Powerslave"* And I agree with you that they all contain great music. But still I apoligize for my previuos comment.
20.05.2010 - 05:52
Derwood

Written by Torolf~Godsmote on 19.05.2010 at 08:13

I fucking hate it when people trash at bands that have been around since before you were suckin yo momma's titties and before yo mamma was sucking your grammas titties *Figure of speech*.

I know I hadn't posted in this thread prior to this post, but this made me laugh something fierce.

Hell PowerSlave, you really should have checked some ages before typing some bullshit like that.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
20.05.2010 - 06:17
Torolf~Godsmote

Written by Derwood on 20.05.2010 at 05:52

Written by Torolf~Godsmote on 19.05.2010 at 08:13

I fucking hate it when people trash at bands that have been around since before you were suckin yo momma's titties and before yo mamma was sucking your grammas titties *Figure of speech*.

I know I hadn't posted in this thread prior to this post, but this made me laugh something fierce.

Hell PowerSlave, you really should have checked some ages before typing some bullshit like that.

If you know how to read youd see that I said Figure of Speech..... But I guess you can't read so Ill put it in baby terms for you.... It was a figure of speech meaning Maiden has been around for a long while. There happy
20.05.2010 - 06:30
Derwood

Written by Torolf~Godsmote on 20.05.2010 at 06:17

If you know how to read youd see that I said Figure of Speech..... But I guess you can't read so Ill put it in baby terms for you.... It was a figure of speech meaning Maiden has been around for a long while. There happy

Yes, and I meant that you're just ridiculous enough to throw some idiotic line like that at people such as Lord Regnier who were actually listening to Iron Maiden when The Number of the Beast was a new album. Or Marcel who probably first encountered them before Bruce even joined the band. i.e, some of the guys you're lipping off with your infantile ranting are older than Iron Maiden, which really renders your figure of speech little more than unintentional irony and fodder for ridicule for those of us old enough to have purchased the first edition of Piece of Mind when it was released.

Now stop embarrassing my country and get to bed before your mommy discovers you're still awake, junior.

Damnit, there I go feeding the trolls again.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
20.05.2010 - 11:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 20.05.2010 at 06:30

Written by Torolf~Godsmote on 20.05.2010 at 06:17

Yes, and I meant that you're just ridiculous enough to throw some idiotic line like that at people such as Lord Regnier who were actually listening to Iron Maiden when The Number of the Beast was a new album. Or Marcel who probably first encountered them before Bruce even joined the band. i.e, some of the guys you're lipping off with your infantile ranting are older than Iron Maiden, which really renders your figure of speech little more than unintentional irony and fodder for ridicule for those of us old enough to have purchased the first edition of Piece of Mind when it was released.

Now stop embarrassing my country and get to bed before your mommy discovers you're still awake, junior.

Damnit, there I go feeding the trolls again.

I have been listening to Iron Maiden ever since the Soundhouse Tapes and Metal For Muthas. So, you are right... I listened to them before Bruce joined. And I dare say that they DID release mediocre and even shitty albums. Funnily all of the stuff AFTER Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son I find patchy at best.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 66421 | This month: 142