+ The Fatalist [Live London 2010]
+ The Grandest Accusation [Video Backdrop]
+ Iridium [Live Summerbreeze 2010]
+ Iridium Video
+ Zero Distance Video

The Best Melodeath/Gothenburg Metal Album Of 2010
Featured in "Getting Into: Dark Tranquillity"

Additional info
Recorded and mixed August - November 2009.
Drums and bass recorded at Gothenburg Rock Studios. Engineered by Hasse Kosonen, Daniel Antonsson and Tue Madsen.
Guitars, vocals and keyboards recorded at Rogue Music. Engineered by Martin Brändström, Tue Madsen and Isak Edh.
Mixed and mastered by Tue Madsen at Antfarm.

Guest review by
!J.O.O.E.!
Rating:
It's always a sad sight to witness an institution tumble down hill, none more so than Dark Tranquillity, a band I once considered virtually infallible. Their prior album, Fiction, despite having some moments of greatness, certainly showed signs of greying around the gills, especially after their impeccably polished and resolute performance on Character; a performance which many would agree rivalled The Gallery in its impact: a true affirmation of their ever (if slowly) evolving skill, which is why from We Are The Void emanates the unmistakable whiff of disappointment.

Read more ››
published 20.06.2010 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
Dark Tranquillity have just won the MS Awards in the category they have been nominated in and I think there are some people that still are in need of reasons for that. Let me give you a few hints. At first everyone should admit that the band have changed their style a lot since the infamous The Gallery. Once the music was fast, melodic and with insane melodies, but this era is definitely over. We Are The Void marks the next step into the direction of a more dark and heavy sound. Many dislike this and they have good reasons to do so, since one can miss the old days really hard. But metal changes, and so do the bands.

Read more ››
published 17.03.2011 | Comments (28)

One of the three originators of the Gothenburg metal scene, Dark Tranquillity are still pretty much alive and kicking.
While they somehow stay true to the same formula since Damage Done (2002), We Are The Void is a bit more original than Fiction (2007). Darker, somehow more "black metal", with a different approach on the keys, it's no doubt DT... with a twist.

Darkside Momo's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Ivan, fade, BloodTears, MoraWintersoul
Bandcamp music player

Found in 39 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 84   Visited by: 1614 users
29.12.2010 - 08:29
Rating: 2
RobHalford

This is the worst album I've listened to this year. Beyond terrible.
28.01.2011 - 17:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm probably not the first to say this, but...

Has anyone else noticed how the cover art looks a lot like Goatse?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.02.2011 - 20:06
Rating: 9
QibingZero

I've been listening to this again quite a bit, and it's a lot better than I initially gave it credit.

The only real complaint for me is that some of the song structures are a bit recycled, but Stanne is still absolutely amazing and at times seems better than ever. Songs like Arkhangelsk and Iridium break the usual mold, and despite the usual abundance of keyboards this has to be their heaviest work since Damage Done (which is obviously a good thing).
13.02.2011 - 02:24
Rating: 7
elseif

I don't think they can beat "Damage Done", but it's still a very good album.
13.02.2011 - 10:44
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I see many people here saying that fiction is their worst etc. ok it may be not their most original but i think it has great awesome songwriting and great atmosphere and that it is by far greater than this one. i love DT but "We Are The Void" disappointed me. i hope for a better follower...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
05.06.2011 - 03:17
MyNameJeff

The first album that introduced me to melodic death metal! the atmosphere of the whole album is so dark, its great. now i also have damage donem but all the songs are kind of similar... and its not heavy enough....

Edit 2020: 9 years later, this comment sounds dumb but i still stand by my rating. big thank you to the fellow graceful commenters below.
05.06.2011 - 03:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by MyNameJeff on 05.06.2011 at 03:17

The first album that introduced me to melodic death metal!

Check The Gallery if you haven't already. It's widely regarded as one of the best melodic death metal albums of all time.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.06.2011 - 11:05
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by MyNameJeff on 05.06.2011 at 03:17

The first album that introduced me to melodic death metal! the atmosphere of the whole album is so dark, its great. now i also have damage donem but all the songs are kind of similar... and its not heavy enough....

i'd say you'd bettel check out Fiction or Character. awesome albums and closer to the sound of We Are The Void. i'd first listen to Fiction if i were you. The Gallery is awesome too but it's sound isn't probably close to the sound that made you love this style...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.08.2011 - 00:19
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Haha somebody gave this album a 2! IMO it's worth a score in the low 8's. The songs themselves are fantastic, but where this one is lacking is in the bass. To me the bass lines are what really made Fiction something special and stand out above the rest of DT's releases. I think Antonsson is a good musician, nothing against him, but I also didn't care for his guitar work on Sworn To a Great Divide. I'd love to see him stick with Dimension 0 and Niklasson come back to DT.
24.08.2011 - 03:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
A 2 is far too low, but an 8 would make the majority of their prior albums a 13 or something. As Troy said The Gallery is where it's at, and on this scale it's at least a 24 out of 10.
24.09.2011 - 04:09
Rating: 10
Wes

Their best album.
26.10.2011 - 16:13
s_t_s

Don't see what you could say against this album : I've been following DT ever since Projector and I know very few bands that manage to evolve and keep a true spirit like them ! This album is another proof of the band skill to evolve and bring us great songslike The Fatalist, Her silent language or Iridium !

I wish other bands like In Flames had been able to evolve the same way instead of going down at every new release
10.11.2011 - 21:24
Rating: 5
Slyfang

This album would have made sense BEFORE Damage Done. they really dropped their standards on this one
02.01.2012 - 13:04
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Great album! Favorite tracks-Her Silent Language, Shadow in our blood, The Grandest Accusation, The Fatalist, Iridium. The Tour Edition bonus tracks Zero Distance and Out of Gravity also kick ass! Some brilliant artwork by Niklas Sundin too in the videos Zero Distance and Iridium. Esp. Zero Distance video is awesome! Singer/Lyricist Mikael Stanne has once again proved that they are one of the major forces of Gothenburg/melodic death metal all in terms of songwriting, execution, production, and heavyness!!!! Hail Dark Tranquillity!
14.04.2012 - 20:18
Rating: 6
Xytraguptor

Imo nothing can top the catchiness and heaviness of Fiction. And this here is not memorable at all. Disappointed.
05.08.2012 - 13:03
s_t_s

I love the album so I bought the DVD edition but only to find out that the DVD part only features 7 videos, no report at all There's another edition with the same cover as the album but this time the extra DVD features all reports but no videos at all Is it an exclusive European fuck up or what
22.01.2013 - 13:53
Atrus

Erase At The Point Of Ignition (one of the worst DT songs ever) and Arkhangelsk and is an Awesome album.
23.01.2013 - 07:33
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Atrus on 22.01.2013 at 13:53

Erase At The Point Of Ignition (one of the worst DT songs ever) and Arkhangelsk and is an Awesome album.

That's exactly what I did, too
09.05.2013 - 21:11
Rating: 7
Loendt

Worst album of dt, so far...
But is a good album. That's all.
31.05.2013 - 06:03
Opethian

Listening to it with a different approach and im having a whole new experience with it. I want to say that it is a solid release, but at the same time a Strong release. I cant wait to get my hands on their new album 'Construct'! High hopes indeed
19.03.2016 - 01:16
Toxik

Not the best start but after "The Fatalist" it becomes awesome
30.04.2018 - 01:54
frequenzangriff

Idk why this album us bashed so much. I think its great to see a band change and evolve. Also, the theme is strong and dark, it's sounds quite similar to projector (which also was bashed by fans on its realease?!) . There is some "The Hollow Men by ts eliot", and indeed people and the world are becoming more and more empty.... it's a great album, and 8 years later i like it even more then on release. The 7 bonus songs where a great adition. IMHO it's a underrated and misunderstood album, thta's great nonetheless.
23.07.2020 - 18:40
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Never understood the backlash behind this album. They changed their sound a little, but not a whole lot. The album feels darker and heavier with a bit less speed. The album has a ton of songs on it, so it can be harder to digest. However, its well worth it as they do a great job of making each song different with their own unique hooks, structures and styles. I love it and I find myself coming back to it very often. One song in particular, "Iridium", might have the best lyrics and vocal performance in DTs career, despite it being a much slower track.

Highlights: Iridium, The Fatalist, Zero Distance, Shadow In Our Blood
14.06.2022 - 14:07
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
This sounds like something between Fiction and Atoma, only the songwriting is not as good on this one, and I found the overall sound a tad uninspiring. It's a wee bit like a B side to Fiction, or tracks that weren't necessarily good enough to make the cut, with a few extras added on for good measure.

But like on every Dark Tranquillity album there are good moments, "The Fatalist", and "Shadow In Our Blood" and "Iridium" are decent tracks, the rest for me are average though.

Hits total: 34941 | This month: 84