Metal Storm logo
Within Temptation

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 02.08.2006 - 19:20
There was no topic about this great Dutch band, so, here it is.

I love this band, I have the 3 albums and love them, specially "Mother Earth" and "The Silent Force" , the lyrical content, the music itself and the beautiful Sharon's voice make this band unique. Now I'm looking forward to get last DVD.

So, welcome to the thread!
15.05.2007 - 17:25
Etaín

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizBVv-J5_0

Beautiful. Not the subject ofcours. Just how the vid matches the song, and how emotional it is.
21.05.2007 - 17:08
GT
Coffee!!
Damn...I just heard 'What Have You Done' on one of the very popish radiostations in Denmark...that is really a bad song
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.05.2007 - 17:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
it is awful one made just to sell as much copies as possible...the "masses" aren't interested in high quality music but in such a craps...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.05.2007 - 17:59
Elodie Artour
Slania
Well,I personally like the song,and I can also listen to"The heart of everything",but I still think it is a big letdown.The songs are okay,nothing special.I expected something much better.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
22.05.2007 - 00:17
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I have watched the "What Have You Done" video on TV between Sonic Youth and The Sounds. We have to admit that Within Temptation has decided to become a Gothic Rock band instead of a Gothic Metal one. IMhO it is a bad choice, but it is their choice.
22.05.2007 - 00:48
Etaín

Whats the 'gothic' part in them?
22.05.2007 - 08:11
duyhung
Account deleted
Damn!!!Now they have really become another Evanescence.For the first few weeks listening to 'The Heart Of Everything' at least I found some songs interesting like 'Our Solemn Hour' or 'Hands Of Sorrow',but now I'm really bored of the whole album
22.05.2007 - 09:13
GT
Coffee!!
@Taktsekte: Agree. It's really to bad that they have chosen the rock path instead of metal. I really thought (and hoped) that the new album would be a return to metal but I was wrong
@duyhung: Those two are also the ones I like best in the new album
----

22.05.2007 - 10:31
duyhung
Account deleted
@GT : but now even those 2 ones make me feel bored Btw, Stephen's performance in 'Hands Of Sorrow' is the worst drums part I've ever heard It's so boring,especially in the chorus
22.05.2007 - 16:51
Elodie Artour
Slania
Hey,I love Evanescence!I like every Ev album,especially"The open door".

Their old songs are also great.

P.S.:Don't hate me,please.They're just better than WT.
----
22.05.2007 - 17:51
GT
Coffee!!
@Elodie: they might be better doing pop but WT is better when it comes to music...they're more skilled. And remember this tread is about WT not Evanescence...
----

22.05.2007 - 18:35
Elodie Artour
Slania
I know.

No,Evanescence make wonderful music.Okay,this might be only my opinion in here,but I was just saying.
----
22.05.2007 - 19:25
Amrott

Written by Elodie Artour on 22.05.2007 at 16:51

Hey,I love Evanescence!I like every Ev album,especially"The open door".

Their old songs are also great.

P.S.:Don't hate me,please.They're just better than WT.

if you don't want people to hate you go post you fangirl worshiping posts about Eva-shit-nescence on the Evanescence thread.

Within Temptation could wipe the floor with a 100 Evanescence put together!! fact!!

sorry, it had to be done. please don't take this personally. i have lost all respect for that band (actually it is not a band, it is just her project) anyway and saying that WT is like/less/..etc to it is just heresy IMO.

now please don't turn this thread into a comparing thread with Evanescence.

WT latest album may not be as metal as some would have wanted it, it is still a good listen. and live i really enjoyed all the new songs they played. WT is a great band, and once you see their show once you'll even like them more.
24.05.2007 - 00:11
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Etaín on 22.05.2007 at 00:48

Whats the 'gothic' part in them?

The obscure guitar melodies with strings on keyboards ('The Howling', 'What Have You Done', 'The Heart of Everything'), abundance of choirs ('The Truth Beneath the Rose', 'Our Solemn Hour'), and those keyboard arpeggios on some choruses (for example, 'Hand of Sorrow') are constitutive parts of the Gothic Rock / Metal sound.

@Elodie Artour: If you do not support your posts with an analysis on the musical structure of Evanescence's songs, your argument "I like every Ev album,especially"The open door". Their old songs are also great (...) They're just better than WT") is totally invalid. The fact that you like Evanescence more than Within Temptation does not make them good musicians at all. Evanescence songs are incredibly simple and repetitive, using a maximum of 6 different chords inside the same tone/mode. For example, I mastered the "My Immortal" keyboards (which is a priori one of their best songs) in less than two days.

I do not want to sound like a bloody music school nerd or anything, but please give some logical arguments next time.
24.05.2007 - 00:17
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I think they are seriously overrated. Most stuff that I have heard of them is really borring, bass just follows guitar, keyboards follow voice, and vocal sounds really annoying and artifficial, no vibrations in it or anything. Id like to hear her voice live, because it sounds like theyve spent more time in studio fixing it than recording all other instruments... Thats just my opinion, could be wrong...
----
24.05.2007 - 13:28
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Taktsekte:I respect your opinion,but please-first listen to their older songs,and after that-comment again.

Evanescence have some awesome songs,as for example:"Wash it all away","Eternal","Field of Innocence","Before the dawn","October",and so on.
----
25.05.2007 - 04:08
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
WT is still enjoyable, but of course their old material is all the way better
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
19.06.2007 - 16:09
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Video footage of Within Temptation's press conference at the Artmania festival, which took place in Sibiu (Romania) has been posted at Metalhead.ro at this location. Enjoy.
19.06.2007 - 16:28
Elodie Artour
Slania
WT in Romania?!
----
03.07.2007 - 08:25
Oracle
Orcinus
Within Temptation are awesome but i find that their latest album isnt as good as the others because i didnt think it had that many good songs. there were only 3 or 4 songs that i liked on their new album
05.07.2007 - 05:38
CreativeAngels
Account deleted
i loved them, but they went down hill with that silent force crap
05.07.2007 - 11:00
Oracle
Orcinus
Yeah i think their mother earth album is the best album. i havent heard their first album yet. the silent force album was alright, it had a few good songs on it but their heart of everything album hardly had any good songs, only like 3 or 4 good songs imo.
05.07.2007 - 14:56
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Okay, after red this last page of comments on WT, my opinion isn't that outstanding, but for being me that never says things like this it's really outstanding. I usually hate people rate bands because of popularity, and saying they don't do their music for the musics sake, but for the money's sake, but that's not what I'm going to say. It's only that, their old stuff is so speciall, just noticed that yesterday, and the new stuff, it sounds a bit to commersial, but I still love all their albums, just that that those albums before Silent Force was a little more speciall. Though, the new albums still sound WT to me.
09.07.2007 - 15:20
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Ticketmaster team has officially confirmed that Within Temptation will perform at The Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza in New York City on Friday, September 7. More U.S. dates are expected to be announced soon. Stay tuned .
14.07.2007 - 16:10
gothvampire
Account deleted
one of the first bands i have been to when i have started listening to metal music 3 years ago... Ü
15.07.2007 - 07:57
HELLilac

I don't like a few songs I've heard from their new album at all so I haven't buy it yet. Reading some comments in hear lead to a conclusion that I should give it a miss. I like the Silent Force but there're a few songs in there (Stand my ground, for example) that to go too far towards mainstream for my liking. If their latest album is another step away from their gothic metal root then I'd rather stick with After Forever and Epica.

I hate the fact that some good European bands (Lacuna Coil, In Flames) have change their sound to impress american market.
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
17.07.2007 - 21:22
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
I actually need to take back what I wrote earlier. Since I saw them live a few days ago I've fallen completely in love with all their material. And Sharon is the most beatuiful metal singer ever!
18.07.2007 - 19:33
Alex Smith

I wanna thank The Alchemist for this tread, because I forgot that I like this band I'm gonna buy an album
20.09.2007 - 22:18
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Noisescape TV recently conducted a short video interview withSharon den Adel. You can watch the clip at this location.
25.09.2007 - 22:46
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Vampire Freaks conducted an interview with Robert Westerholt and vocalist Sharon den Adel in Denver, CO. You can watch it at this location.