12. Blood Vortex
13. Breeding Death [demo] [bonus]
14. Omnious Bloodvomit [demo] [bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2004: 9
Top 200 albums of all time: 195

Staff review by
Undercraft
Rating:
Some line-up changes in the new Bloodbath album, Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) handed over the vocal duties to Peter Tägtgren (Hypocrisy), Dan Swanö left the drums and picked up the guitars, and recorded the sophomore effort of this all-star Death Metal band, entitled Nightmares Made Flesh.

The thing that always intrigued me about this band was how come these talented and well-known musicians got to make typical Death Metal? I mean, If you put 4 geniuses in one room, you wont expect that they will come up with something as typical as Bloodbath right? But they did, first class Death Metal that's it, but sadly no innovations, no new stuff here, just Death Metal.

Read more ››
published 15.12.2004 | Comments (9)

Found in 46 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 70   Visited by: 1694 users
10.10.2013 - 12:43
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Unhealer on 10.10.2013 at 06:29

In case you didn't know, it's based on the history of Armin Meiwes. Same thing as with Rammstein's "Mein Teil".

Thanks for that, I didn't know about it. I remember seeing a tv doco a few years ago and I'm guessing now it was based on this well-documented case.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
18.01.2014 - 03:41
Alondate

I like this album for peter. He is my favorite vocalist. He did a great job in this album like he always does in hypocrisy
20.03.2014 - 19:44
Rating: 7
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2011 at 19:42

1. Bloodbath is a revivalist death metal band, not brutal death.
2. Bloodbath is a revivalist death metal band, not an original concept.

That being said, this album is definitely amazing.

1. Probably he's refering to the cover. The cover art is surely brutal enough, ha ha...
2. I disagreed. This album is quite "original". Not many listeners can easily accept this album as Swano blended his own progressive style to play rhythmic slower pure death genre. Therefore it's "strange, unique and original". Either love it or hate it !
20.03.2014 - 20:10
Lit.
Account deleted
This album is most certainly not strange, unique, or original. Not in the least.

But damn, is it good revivalist death.
20.03.2014 - 22:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 20.03.2014 at 20:10

This album is most certainly not strange, unique, or original. Not in the least.

I prefer their debut (and the EP previous to that), specially because of the production. But this is fine too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.03.2014 - 23:00
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.03.2014 at 22:54

Written by Guest on 20.03.2014 at 20:10

I prefer their debut (and the EP previous to that), specially because of the production. But this is fine too.

They're about tied with me. I enjoy the fuzzy sound of the debut and Akerfelt's vocals, but I love the nice clean production and the all-around catchiness of this one. Couldn't pick.
21.03.2014 - 09:33
Dr. Strawberry

Written by deadone on 21.03.2014 at 02:34

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 20.03.2014 at 19:44

2. I disagreed. This album is quite "original". Not many listeners can easily accept this album as Swano blended his own progressive style to play rhythmic slower pure death genre. Therefore it's "strange, unique and original". Either love it or hate it !

...Fathomless Mastery gets even further away from this and comes across as a quite modern Death Metal album.

Exactly !
They're moving too fast, I am not able to spot any merit from The Fathmless Mastery.
Those who gave high rating to this album could be influnced by their Big Name.
Instead of calling it "modern", I suggest to call it an Alternative Death or Experimental Death album.
21.03.2014 - 19:20
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by deadone on 21.03.2014 at 14:20

I certainly wouldn't call it Experimental Death or Alternative Death Metal.

Yeah there's definitely nothing experimental about Bloodbath... in any sense of the word.
23.03.2014 - 10:27
mz

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 21.03.2014 at 09:33

I suggest to call it an Alternative Death or Experimental Death album.

Calling this experimental death would be an insult to those bands which are playing really experimental death metal.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
23.03.2014 - 10:56
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by mz on 23.03.2014 at 10:27

Calling this experimental death would be an insult to those bands which are playing really experimental death metal.

Or rather just someone without a clue saying something stupid.
----
23.03.2014 - 16:13
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Ace Frawley on 23.03.2014 at 10:56

I didn't know that there're so many stupid listeners around. Thanks for showing up.
23.03.2014 - 21:45
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 23.03.2014 at 16:13

Written by Ace Frawley on 23.03.2014 at 10:56

I didn't know that there're so many stupid listeners around. Thanks for showing up.

It's a pleasure to be here!
----
23.03.2014 - 22:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

Rather than calling people stupid maybe you could enlighten us as to how this album can possibly be considered experimental.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2014 - 04:45
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

Ah, the classic "oh shit I don't actually know what I'm talking about so I'll just start insulting people"... classic...
Bloodbath play some of the most standard death metal around.
24.03.2014 - 09:36
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.03.2014 at 22:01

Rather than calling people stupid maybe you could enlighten us as to how this album can possibly be considered experimental.

No. I hate to use bad words, Ace was the one started it...(pls read his comments)

As I said earlier :
This album is quite "original". Not many listeners can easily accept this album as Swano blended his own progressive style to play rhythmic slower pure death genre. Therefore it's "strange, unique and original". Either love it or hate it !

How do you define Experimental ? Using keyboards or non-standard musical instruments ? No. as long as it falls under unusual metal music composition then we can name it Experimental !
24.03.2014 - 10:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 24.03.2014 at 09:36
How do you define Experimental ? Using keyboards or non-standard musical instruments ? No. as long as it falls under unusual metal music composition then we can name it Experimental !

Personally I define experimental (within the context of music) as something that hasn't been done before, or at least something that consists of fresh ideas without taking too much influence from already established forms of music.

Bloodbath, while great at what they do, aren't stylistically any different than the hordes of more traditional death metal bands, particularly those from Sweden. If you think Bloodbath are experimental then I'm assuming either you haven't listened extensively to the genre or it takes very little for you to deem something experimental.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2014 - 10:53
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 10:11

Personally I define experimental (within the context of music) as something that hasn't been done before, or at least something that consists of fresh ideas without taking too much influence from already established forms of music.

Bloodbath, while great at what they do, aren't stylistically any different than the hordes of more traditional death metal bands, particularly those from Sweden. If you think Bloodbath are experimental then I'm assuming either you haven't listened extensively to the genre or it takes very little for you to deem something experimental.

1) Personally I define experimental (within the context of music) as something that hasn't been done before...
- On the contrary, I find your expectation is way too harsh.
For me, a "Small Experiment" is enough to be called "Experimental", but you expect it too be Real Big...since the term Nu Metal is taken, I suggest to call those "Big Experiment" as INNO METAL.
2) If you think Bloodbath are experimental then I'm assuming either you haven't listened extensively to the genre...
- Ya...I started listening Metal yesterday.
24.03.2014 - 10:57
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman

No. I hate to use bad words, Ace was the one started it...(pls read his comments)

Okay, to be fair, I was being a bit harsh there. I do, with the greatest of respect to your good self, agree with what Troy Killjoy says about experimental music, especially in the context of Bloodbath.
----
26.03.2014 - 02:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 24.03.2014 at 10:53

2) If you think Bloodbath are experimental then I'm assuming either you haven't listened extensively to the genre...
- Ya...I started listening Metal yesterday.

He meant the genre of Experimental metal, not metal in general.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

26.03.2014 - 02:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 26.03.2014 at 02:41

He meant the genre of Experimental metal, not metal in general.

Actually I think he meant death metal =P I'm not sure experimental is a genre...
26.03.2014 - 02:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 26.03.2014 at 02:42

Actually I think he meant death metal =P I'm not sure experimental is a genre...

It's not, technically, but in that situation I'd say it was probably easier just to refer to it as a genre. But I'll admit, could be wrong, he may have meant death metal now that you mention it.

But it seems we both agree he wasn't calling the guy a complete metal newb, as he has taken it.

(And then Troy is going to come in and make us both look like idiots by admitting that he was inferring the guy is a complete metal newb. )
----

26.03.2014 - 03:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 26.03.2014 at 02:53

It's not, technically, but in that situation I'd say it was probably easier just to refer to it as a genre. But I'll admit, could be wrong, he may have meant death metal now that you mention it.

But it seems we both agree he wasn't calling the guy a complete metal newb, as he has taken it.

(And then Troy is going to come in and make us both look like idiots by admitting that he was inferring the guy is a complete metal newb. )

Probably

Well he's not a newb, but he has picked up some very odd perspectives along the way.
26.03.2014 - 03:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 26.03.2014 at 03:07

Haven't we all?

I'm sure everyone picks up the odd idiosyncrasy here and there, but few people go around calling Bloodbath experimental and Black Sabbath overrated
27.03.2014 - 02:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 26.03.2014 at 02:53

Ya I only meant that he must not have listened to a lot of death metal if he thinks Bloodbath are experimental, but on a bigger scale Bloodbath are even less experimental when taking into account all of the avant-garde and other weird styles of metal that exist.

I don't really think I'd refer to anyone as a newb; everyone gets to where they're going at different paces. This guy may have started the journey a little later than some of us but that doesn't mean his ideas aren't worth discussing. (Not that I'm saying you implied that, just kind of rambling right now.)
----
27.03.2014 - 02:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2014 at 02:06

*Post that doesn't make me and Joe look like idiots*

I liked it better when I thought you were going to make me and Joe look like idiots.
----

27.03.2014 - 02:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 27.03.2014 at 02:10
I liked it better when I thought you were going to make me and Joe look like idiots.

Eh, I try not to make people look bad if I can, not that I think either of you were exactly primed for roasting.
----
02.06.2014 - 08:38
Stunning Cactus

Brutal as fuck.
25.03.2015 - 08:11
danielllewis

Am I the only one who thinks Eaten is the worst song on the album? I'd honestly give it a 10 if that song was excluded. That being said I still love it. Peter's vocals on here are some of the most terrifying I've ever heard, just a savage.
----
26.03.2015 - 01:46
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 26.03.2015 at 00:46

Eaten is fucking awesome! Love that song. Awesome riffs, awesome grooves, awesome heaviness, stupidly catchy and awesomely fucked up lyrics.

That's a lot of praise for a 7 :3
26.03.2015 - 02:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by danielllewis on 25.03.2015 at 08:11

Am I the only one who thinks Eaten is the worst song on the album? I'd honestly give it a 10 if that song was excluded. That being said I still love it. Peter's vocals on here are some of the most terrifying I've ever heard, just a savage.

I gotta agree. While catchy, I never cared for Eaten (though the subject behind the song is morbidly fascinating). It's not bad, but not as good compared to many of the other songs on the album, like Brave New Hell, Year Of The Cadaver Race, Blood Vortex, etc.

Hits total: 26926 | This month: 67