Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Total votes: 590
17.05.2006 - 15:38
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
So i wanted to know whos your favourite out of these four massive 80s thrash metal bands based ONLY on their material from that decade. Helps if you would explain on your choice.

The albums (not inclueding EP's) that are inclued from this decade are:

Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State of Euphoria

Megadeth:
Killing Is My Business
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good... So What

Metallica:
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Slayer:
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven

My favourite out of the list would be Slayer. They are my favourite thrash metal band and all their albums that came out in the 80s are my favourite albums and get played on a regular basis. Jeff's and Kerry's guitar work is amazing with the riffs that the two come up with... plus "Reign In Blood" is one of my favourite metal albums created.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
17.05.2006 - 17:09
Daibh
Account deleted
Slayer.

My apologies for the one word reply. But nothing more needs said. Slayer are, and always will be, the unchallenged rulers of thrash.
17.05.2006 - 21:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Slayer. (imagine it bellowed at the top of my lungs while sporting dual devil horns)

As Daibh said, you really need not say more.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.05.2006 - 21:52
Alastor Scourge
Account deleted
Slayer without dobut, the lyrics, the music, and created such great albums... Reign in blood, and my personal favourite South of Heaven.
17.05.2006 - 23:24
Endoftherainbow
For me this was a tough choice between Megadeth and Slayer with Metallica and Anthrax not even in the running. In the end I decided that Megadeth is better though because during the 80's the consistently better and better after each album with all of them being amazing. Their albums from the 80's contained amazing solos by both Chris Poland and Marty Friedman who are both amazing guitar played and in my opinion are far superior to both King and Hanneman when it comes to lead guitar. Also Ellefson is a much better bass player then Araya. When it comes to the lyrics I also find Megadeths are much better then Slayers. On the other hand there are some areas which I like Slayer better then Megadeth which is why I had such a tough time deciding. Slayers riffs are much more heavy then Megadeths get stuck in my head more easily though Dave Mustaine has written some pretty awsome riffs which I love. Also I prefer the singing of Tom Araya over that Dave Mustaine. There is one area in particular though which Slayer kills Megadeth in and that is drumming Dave Lombardo is one of my favorite drummers have and his drumming in Slayer is untouched by any other thrash metal band with the exception of maybe Dark Angel. But my vote goes for Megadeth they kick ass.
18.05.2006 - 00:25
Dam3k
I go for Metallica some classic stuff they have, however, I'm not so much in thrash metal but I don't like Slayer
----

18.05.2006 - 01:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I voted for Slayer, but Megadeth is a close second. Slayer took metal to a whole new level in the 80's.
18.05.2006 - 03:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
megadeth with slayer in close second, but i find megadeth has a little more variety in the music so i have to go with them
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.05.2006 - 05:24
Deucehound
Account deleted
@Pyroleprechaun: I agree with you that Slayer took metal to a whole new level in the 80's, but was it really the best of these four American Thrash bands? Compared to Megadeth which is much more thrash simply by defination. Slayer's lyrics often feature more topics from black or death metal concepts, Megadeth pretty much stays straight ahead with the war and pissed off attitude that is associated with thrash. And Dave is the thrashiest front man out of all these 4 bands (James, Tom, (Niel Turbin), and Joey). Thrash is suppose to have that pissed off, teenager like sound to its vocals and thats what Dave really gives off. So to me Megadeth would be the best thrash band of the American 80's scene. But all 4 of these bands were great, along with Testament, and several other great thrash bands, some relatively unknown like Agent Steel.

If I had to choose a secound band I would probably choose Anthrax since they follow in step with Megadeth with the more thrash attitude with the greater punk influence.

I like Slayer's Season's In the Abyss more than Reign in Blood. Metallica changed in the 80's rapidly from a thrash band (Kill Em All) to say Master of Puppets. You could even argue the change from KEA to Ride the Lighting was a change from thrash to a more arena/speed style. But seriously take KEA and MOP, then to And Justice For All. It barely sounds like the same band anymore. They're a great band, but the thrash got definately spread out and buttered with something more.
18.05.2006 - 05:37
Trifixion
Account deleted
@Deucehound: THat may be true but the most thrashy doesn't nessecarily mean the best or most influential for that matter. Megadeth may overall be the most Thrashy band these but Slayer definetly took it to a level that Megadeth didn't, and influenced even other genres (sparked the ideas of alot of death bands.) They also were one of the first major band to bring in such a dark side to Thrash and metal in general. Sure there were dark ideas out there already but that's also something they brought to the next level.
Then it just comes down to the music, which is a matter of opinion so I can't speak for that...but I think alot of people would take Slayer. From their first album up until Seasons is all unmatched even in today's metal and Reign In Blood, Seasons, and South Of Heaven are true metal classics. I don't think Megadeth can compare, but then opinion steps in again just my thoughts.
18.05.2006 - 18:30
Carnage
Wow! thats a hard one, its hard chosing from Megadeth and Slayer, But ill have to go with Megadeth because they are my favorite and i just love their music cause of their solos and vocals, Slayer is also very good because of their lyrics and damn they are just plain insane.
----
Even in death there's no equality...
because some people make better corpses than others...
19.05.2006 - 03:12
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Thanks to people that are actually giving reasons for there choise. Saying that 'its xxxxx and theres no need to explain' isnt very thoughtful and creative. grr
----

Hellcunt Smurf
19.05.2006 - 11:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Xtreme Jax on 19.05.2006 at 03:12

Thanks to people that are actually giving reasons for there choise. Saying that 'its xxxxx and theres no need to explain' isnt very thoughtful and creative. grr

Sorry, chuckles, but I believe I thoroughly explained my choice back on the original thread... and have backed up my preferences in each of the other various polls that pitted any combination of these bands against the other.

I find it highly amusing that the OP is calling people out for their lack of creativity on a poll that is just a rehash of a previously existing poll.

Grr back at you.

But since you insist,

Slayer put out albums I liked more upon first listen and, in my ears, have better stood the test of time, with Anthrax coming in second, and Metallica and Megadeth slogging around in third and fourth.

Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss, Decade of Aggression, Divine Intervention >>> Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, State of Euphoria, Sound of White Noise >>> Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All... >>> Peace Sells, Rust in Peace.

I like their intensity. I like the fact that they didn't soften up to score groupies and radio play. Even now they still rock balls harder, louder, and more intensely than the others above. A friend of mine who is into metal and is NOT particularly a Slayer fan caught them on one of those bigger summer tours and was astonished at how the crowd reacted when they took stage - the energy between the bands and fans blew everyone else who appeared before, and after, away.

I've caught dozens of metal shows, but only leaving a Slayer concert, on the drive home, could you pull up at a traffic light, look over to the car next to you and see the driver/occupants had also just come from the show, share a glance at this/these complete stranger(s), then both sport the dual devil horns and shout "SLAYER!" at each other without exchanging a word prior.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.05.2006 - 13:58
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by BitterCOld on 19.05.2006 at 11:28

Written by Xtreme Jax on 19.05.2006 at 03:12

I find it highly amusing that the OP is calling people out for their lack of creativity on a poll that is just a rehash of a previously existing poll.

Grr back at you.

Haha, I created the other poll and it was only open for four days before the massive update thing, and there wasnt very many posts/votes on the thread. Also i feel that its a good poll to keep going seeing as these bands have a very big fan base and wanted to hear other peoples opinions.

Thanks a heap for the explaination ... i was a little ticked off before so, lol excuse me for that.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
19.05.2006 - 21:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
There was a poll that pre-existed that one, i think it eventually got locked due to excessive size, as they used to close all - well most- threads over 300 posts.
----

19.05.2006 - 22:08
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
I like all of them.
Anthrax - one of the most important and cool thrash metal bands in US, extremly intense and very powerfull, a great band love most of their releases early and new

Megadeth - well, actually i never liked this band, neither Mustain's performance with Metallica

Metallica - this is the most important band ( if u ask me and a lot of other people ) of thrash metal in the 80's, best band in thrash ever and the band with the most fans ever, i voted for it just becasue i personally consider the early albums the greatest thrash albums ever. The best and coolest band, just listen to the songs. They have also a big diversity in their songs, leaving the fans with a great impression. If i think of it, the lyrics are also the best

Slayer - When it comes to a more violent and extreme thrash style, Slayer is the best. They rule and are the most bad ass band american thrash has ever made. Anyway, i like their work and most of their early stuff and it was really hard not to choose this band
20.05.2006 - 08:21
Megadeth88
Man this is really hard. I love Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax. Metallica can go die for all I care. But anyway, I think I'll go with Megadeth because they got me into metal, and I just like their music a lot more than Slayer, and Anthrax. Even though Slayer, and Anthrax are really good. I just like Megadeth a whole lot better.
22.05.2006 - 13:40
MotorcycleMan
Account deleted
Yeh they are all awesome. The OLD Metallica is my personal fave.
22.05.2006 - 19:18
Avenant
Profane Seraph
Definitely megadeth. I never liked anthrax, the old metallica is good, but not as good as megadeth, and slayer...hmmm... I only like a few songs.
24.05.2006 - 06:31
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...hmm i can say the best group is metallica, their music in the 80's was amazing and pretty original, i prefer them above all the rest...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
25.05.2006 - 01:17
Angelclaw
Account deleted
It's hard to say. I like both Metallica and Slayer, but i'd say Metallica were slightly better in the 80's. Megadeth were also good, but i only like some of their songs. Anthrax i don't really like.
25.05.2006 - 13:44
matthioso
Of course as a real Metallica fan I voted for Metallica and in the 80's they were at their highest level.
----
www.seedofrock.be
25.05.2006 - 14:20
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Still no vote for Anthrax? I dont really know alot of their material, just put them into the mix because as i stated in they were considered in the four thrash bands to be the biggest in American thrash in the 80s.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
26.05.2006 - 00:25
TeRmI
Account deleted
You're really fucked up... Megadeth more than Meta? i don't know but... wtf?! killing meyby is better then kill'em but peace sells to RTL? so far - master/justice? I don't think so...

And Anthrax... no vote? Ye... they're good fast but it isn't IT They're ok
26.05.2006 - 01:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 26.05.2006 at 00:25

You're really fucked up... Megadeth more than Meta? i don't know but... wtf?! killing meyby is better then kill'em but peace sells to RTL? so far - master/justice? I don't think so...

And Anthrax... no vote? Ye... they're good fast but it isn't IT They're ok

Megadeth is so much better than Metallica. Dave Mustaine is much better at songwriting and is a better guitarist than Kirk Hammett. A lot of Dave's stuff in the 80's was unique, while Metallica got credit for all of the songs that Dave wrote in Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. With Metallica, all of their songs pretty much sound similar compared to the great variety of Megadeth.
26.05.2006 - 02:51
Stigmatized
Slayer. I mean Reign in Blood is the thrash album. Nothing can match up to it. Megadeth has made some great stuff, but nothing close to Reign in Blood.....or South of Heaven.
26.05.2006 - 06:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
^^^Exactly. That's why I voted for them.
26.05.2006 - 11:21
Bankler
Account deleted
Well, Metallica is the best Trash Metal band ever! But it seems like Slayer are the favorite. I can´t understand why!
27.05.2006 - 23:11
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Metallica has definetly the best songs from 80's. (But when you look today the bands and their music and live performing I'd say Slayer.)
So 1. Metallica, 2. Slayer, 3. Megadeth, 4. Anthrax.
I haven't heard so much Anthrax, shame on me..

btw, Bankler, nice avatar
27.05.2006 - 23:15
DLMokoma
Account deleted
but to be honest, I don't like so much to compare these bands, 'cause they all have their own sounds and are clearly different.