Metal Storm logo
80's: Anthrax vs Megadeth vs Metallica vs Slayer

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 17.05.2006 - 15:38
So i wanted to know whos your favourite out of these four massive 80s thrash metal bands based ONLY on their material from that decade. Helps if you would explain on your choice.

The albums (not inclueding EP's) that are inclued from this decade are:

Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State of Euphoria

Megadeth:
Killing Is My Business
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good... So What

Metallica:
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Slayer:
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven

My favourite out of the list would be Slayer. They are my favourite thrash metal band and all their albums that came out in the 80s are my favourite albums and get played on a regular basis. Jeff's and Kerry's guitar work is amazing with the riffs that the two come up with... plus "Reign In Blood" is one of my favourite metal albums created.

Poll

Your favourite American thrash metal on their material from the 80s

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Total votes: 590
20.06.2009 - 12:52
The War Within
Account deleted
Metallica by far for me.. Then Megdeth
20.06.2009 - 20:41
muztayne
If only the albums that came out from the 80s, Metallica surely wins. But if we're talking about their whole careers i would say Megadeth takes this.
10.07.2009 - 05:57
gwarscumdog
Anthrax, I started listening to them before any of these bands listed. I mean check Persistence of Time. Keep it in the Family. State of Euphoria was my favorite. They just go way more politicaly in my veiw and so many people don't realize that they have defined a lot about metal. Slayer would be next then Megadeth, then Metallica. I am not really a big fan of them. Scott Ian is a great guitarist from a rhythm perspective. The vocals are just unlike the others its like he doesn't care about how it sounds.
10.11.2009 - 10:15
Brad_Mclain
If it's just the 80's it gotta be Metallica, KEA, RTL, MOP and AJFA all in a decade pretty hard to top.

Anthrax actually comes in second for me, love Spreading the Disease, Among the Living and State of Euphoria. Armed and dangerous EP pretty awesome too.

Megadeth close third. Early 90's is the best Megadeth, not a huge fan of their early stuff.

Slayer last, disagreeing with a lot of people I know, I could really only get into select songs from them, not whole albums, too much filler in my opinion.

1. Metallica
2. Anthrax
3. Megadeth
4. Slayer
10.11.2009 - 10:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
If Anthrax's "Persistence Of Time" and Megadeth's "Rust In Peace" (both released in 1990) were included in the poll, its fair to say, my decision would be a lot harder to make! Megadeth are at a disadvantage, with only 3 albums out in the 80's, but from that, as much as I love all 3 of their albums, I would have to put Megadeth last. Anthrax is in 3rd, as I found their debut to have quite a bit of filler, something I can't say about any of Slayer or Metallica's 4 80's albums. So, this leaves Metallica and Slayer....This is an incredibly hard decision, but I think Slayer just marginally sneaks it! I find "Ride The Lightning" to be Metallica's best 80's album, and their best album overall. And maybe if "...And Justice For All" had been produced better, it would have made Metallica a stronger contender. The album is awesome, but the production definitely lets it down. For Slayer, the 1, 2, 3, of "Hell Awaits", "Reign In Blood", and "South Of Heaven" are just irresistible. And the first album has some great classics on it too! Though I would disagree with the OP, as I have "South Of Heaven" at the top of the Slayer pile. When I first heard the album, it gave me the chills, and it still has a similar effect on me today. The haunting atmosphere of the album, coupled with the scathing thrash is just a touch above what it's predecessor had to offer. So yeah...it's Slayer for me!
10.11.2009 - 12:37
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
My two favorite bands are in this poll, and they my favorites mainly based on their 80s material. Metallica have edged out Slayer for me but only slightly, this is due to Hell Awaits. My favorite is without doubt Show No Mercy, followed by Reign in Blood. Hell Awaits come across as a transistion between the two. It's as if the band wanted certain sound but didn't yet know what it was, they found it with Reign in Blood. Metallica's transistion from Kill 'Em All to Ride the Lightning was much smoother, that's the reason Metallica slightly edge out Slayer. This has always been the case for me, however recently I tend to feel more from Slayer's music than that of Metallica, a passage or a long term shift in balance, only time will tell.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
11.11.2009 - 03:52
Tortured
Account deleted
I was hooked with Metallica then. But now I'm more on Slayer.
12.11.2009 - 21:39
SatyriconChick
I have to say Metallica. I also loved Anthrax and Megadeth, but I wasn't into their debut albums. Slayer I got into a little later than the other bands. Since I love all of Metallica's 80s albums, I voted for them.
28.11.2009 - 21:29
Vanessa O.
If you were to ask me this question in the 80's I would have voted for Anthrax. Today I'd pick Metallica, based on their 80's material. Over the years, Metallica's gotten more milage in my casette deck/turntable/cd player/ipod. Megadeth didn't get really good until Rust in Peace. Their 80's stuff is kind of weak. Megadeth was a hair metal band with an tough guy attitude. The last Slayer album I bought was South of Heaven. I respect them, but they don't do it for me the way the others do. Everyone forgets Testament when it comes to great 80's thrash metal. They are every bit as good as the 4 bands listed above. I've seen all these bands back in the day. They're all great live, but the Slayer fans are the most psychotic.
29.11.2009 - 08:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Vanessa O. on 28.11.2009 at 21:29
Megadeth was a hair metal band with an tough guy attitude.

Megadeth, "hair metal"?

If you'd said that about "Risk", then I maybe could of understood that...but only to a degree. Has anyone ever heard a hair metal band play material like "Good Mourning/Black Friday", or "Set The World Afire"? Cos I know I certainly haven't.
29.11.2009 - 15:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.11.2009 at 08:33

Written by Vanessa O. on 28.11.2009 at 21:29
Megadeth was a hair metal band with an tough guy attitude.

Megadeth, "hair metal"?

If you'd said that about "Risk", then I maybe could of understood that...but only to a degree. Has anyone ever heard a hair metal band play material like "Good Mourning/Black Friday", or "Set The World Afire"? Cos I know I certainly haven't.

I don't know what Vanessa's point really was, but what does Risk have to do with anything?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.11.2009 - 16:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by K✞ulu on 29.11.2009 at 15:20
I don't know what Vanessa's point really was, but what does Risk have to do with anything?

Because "Risk" is their only album which has anything on it that I could imagine anyone labelling as "hair metal".
29.11.2009 - 16:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.11.2009 at 16:00

Written by K✞ulu on 29.11.2009 at 15:20

Because "Risk" is their only album which has anything on it that I could imagine anyone labelling as "hair metal".

No way. There is nothing "hair metal" about it. Their video of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" back from the 80's is much more gayer
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.11.2009 - 16:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by K✞ulu on 29.11.2009 at 16:03
No way. There is nothing "hair metal" about it. Their video of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" back from the 80's is much more gayer

I meant musically. For instance, parts of "Wanderlust" sound almost like a carbon copy of "Wanted Dead Or Alive" by Bon Jovi. A band who most would certainly class as "hair metal".

Nah...I don't think anything about them image-wise in the 80's was "gay" or "hair metal". If anything, early Slayer were more hair metal, cos they wore make up. I don't think Megadeth ever did that...
19.01.2010 - 23:30
thewall30
Megadeth! lol Anthrax doesn't stand a chance against the other 3...
----
19.01.2010 - 23:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by thewall30 on 19.01.2010 at 23:30

Megadeth! lol Anthrax doesn't stand a chance against the other 3...

mix of Slayer+Megadeth+Anthrax could win Metallica.
21.01.2010 - 18:26
elekctric
Thats kinda hard i love all four but overall Metallica was the best 4 solid albums , Slayer would be second , Megadeth who kicked Metallica out in the nineties , and Anthrax ... Spreading The Disease was amazing...
24.01.2010 - 01:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
HAHAHA i can't belive that anyone would vote for any other than Metallica!!! these are their best albums by far! to pick anthing else you would have to have been kicked in the head several times
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.01.2010 - 21:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.01.2010 at 01:33

HAHAHA i can't belive that anyone would vote for any other than Metallica!!! these are their best albums by far! to pick anthing else you would have to have been kicked in the head several times

the poll asks for the users FAVORITE, not "best", "most critically acclaimed", or "most influential."

to me, Slayer > Anthrax > Metallica/Megadeth.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.01.2010 - 21:17
Mikyz
Well my favorite albums from the bunch are Ride the lightening, and Master of Puppets, these two albums are virtually flawless, so the order is Metallca > Megadeth > Slayer > Anthrax
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
25.01.2010 - 17:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
@BitterCold- it is my favourite!! Metallica>Megadeth>Anthrax>Slayer
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.01.2010 - 18:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.01.2010 at 17:15

@BitterCold- it is my favourite!! Metallica>Megadeth>Anthrax>Slayer

Megadeth and Anthrax are never bigger than slayer, slayer is as same as metallica when it comes to influence and importance.
25.01.2010 - 18:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
@THE_BLACK_GOD- iyo
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.01.2010 - 18:25
macraigma
Metallica, than Megadeth, than Slayer... who's Anthrax..?
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
25.01.2010 - 18:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
@ joe - you implied i was kicked in the head because my favorite is not metallica. same with another 230+ other people. i honestly don't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut what your favorites in anything are. the stupidity of your statement in dictating to others what their favorite should be basically makes me think it is you who were kicked in the head.

speaking of kicked in the head...

@ The black nob - the poll asks for favorite. as i stated earlier this very page, not influence, not records sold, blah blah blah, simply the users favorite. so you missed the entire point. not surprising, really, as once a thread has "metallica" in it, your IQ seems to dip to negative numbers.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2010 - 18:41
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@BitterCOld, then we can go and see who has more fans in MS or anywhere! ppl talk offtopic always, but mine was not so offtopic I think hehe
25.01.2010 - 18:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
No, it wasn't off topic, it was merely absurd. How the fuck do you know Slayer was more important than Anthrax and Megadeth? I would argue otherwise.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2010 - 18:45
macraigma
You guys are funny, why can't you just post your favs and be done! lol
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
25.01.2010 - 18:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by macraigma on 25.01.2010 at 18:45

You guys are funny, why can't you just post your favs and be done! lol

Because I've got 3 hours to kill and nothing better to do. Besides, the forum would get boring if there wasn't any arguments now wouldn't it?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2010 - 18:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 18:44

No, it wasn't off topic, it was merely absurd. How the fuck do you know Slayer was more important than Anthrax and Megadeth? I would argue otherwise.

you tell me which is more important and influenced other bands. Metallica then Slayer then Anthrax then Megadeth its what I think. when you explained about your own list I will explain mine too.