Metal Storm logo
80's: Anthrax vs Megadeth vs Metallica vs Slayer

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 17.05.2006 - 15:38
So i wanted to know whos your favourite out of these four massive 80s thrash metal bands based ONLY on their material from that decade. Helps if you would explain on your choice.

The albums (not inclueding EP's) that are inclued from this decade are:

Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State of Euphoria

Megadeth:
Killing Is My Business
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good... So What

Metallica:
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All

Slayer:
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven

My favourite out of the list would be Slayer. They are my favourite thrash metal band and all their albums that came out in the 80s are my favourite albums and get played on a regular basis. Jeff's and Kerry's guitar work is amazing with the riffs that the two come up with... plus "Reign In Blood" is one of my favourite metal albums created.

Poll

Your favourite American thrash metal on their material from the 80s

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax

Total votes: 590
25.01.2010 - 18:57
macraigma
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 18:48

Written by macraigma on 25.01.2010 at 18:45

You guys are funny, why can't you just post your favs and be done! lol

Because I've got 3 hours to kill and nothing better to do. Besides, the forum would get boring if there wasn't any arguments now wouldn't it?

I guess you're right. I mean I do like reading SOME of the arguments that go on around here. They can be entertaining.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
25.01.2010 - 18:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 18:55

Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 18:44

No, it wasn't off topic, it was merely absurd. How the fuck do you know Slayer was more important than Anthrax and Megadeth? I would argue otherwise.

you tell me which is more important and influenced other bands. Metallica then Slayer then Anthrax then Megadeth its what I think. when you explained about your own list I will explain mine too.

I really would have no basis of evidence...just as I think you really don't have any evidence. You seem to be spewing out facts with virtually nothing to back it up. I'm not claiming anything, but I've seen just as many younger bands influenced by Anthrax and Megadeth as I have Slayer.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2010 - 19:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 18:57

No, it wasn't off topic, it was merely absurd. How the fuck do you know Slayer was more important than Anthrax and Megadeth? I would argue otherwise.

you tell me which is more important and influenced other bands. Metallica then Slayer then Anthrax then Megadeth its what I think. when you explained about your own list I will explain mine too.

I really would have no basis of evidence...just as I think you really don't have any evidence. You seem to be spewing out facts with virtually nothing to back it up. I'm not claiming anything, but I've seen just as many younger bands influenced by Anthrax and Megadeth as I have Slayer.

evidence, I have good evidence and thats why you are shocked always. how many of musicians are fans of Megadeth ? or Metallica or Slayer or Anthrax? how many Tributes they released to Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica and Anthrax. go and find.

plus I didnt see any Evidence in your words.
25.01.2010 - 19:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Goddammit, I've been polite for so long, but that was just fucking retarded. I give up, you fail to see any fucking point I'm trying to make, twist words, back up your nonsense with more nonsense and then try and turn it around into something totally different, there's really no point in trying to argue with you.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2010 - 19:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 19:12

Goddammit, I've been polite for so long, but that was just fucking retarded. I give up, you fail to see any fucking point I'm trying to make, twist words, back up your nonsense with more nonsense and then try and turn it around into something totally different, there's really no point in trying to argue with you.

no one has forced you to answer me with your pointless words. Im the loser, calm down.
25.01.2010 - 19:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 19:30

Im the loser, calm down.

thanks for the sig.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.01.2010 - 19:44
macraigma
Written by BitterCOld on 25.01.2010 at 19:35

Im the loser, calm down.

thanks for the sig.

LOL!
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
27.01.2010 - 00:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 19:12

That's exactly what I thought in one of the arguments with TBG. And I gave up too and decided not to answer the pointless, unrelated, and irrelevant post.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.01.2010 - 01:08
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Doc, I read your post again and I realized that I hadnt read your post so good, Im sorry I got you wrong.
28.01.2010 - 21:11
Slayer
1. Metallica
2. Slayer
3. Anthrax

H8 Megadeth!
----
Taste me you will see
More is all you need
Dedicated to
How I'm killing you
01.02.2010 - 22:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Slayer on 28.01.2010 at 21:11

H8 Megadeth!

Im lil retired what means H8 some hightway number Hanger 18
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.02.2010 - 09:59
Pain&Fire
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2010 at 22:31

H8 Megadeth!

means "hate" i guess ...
----
Drink from me and live forever...
09.02.2010 - 20:58
Scourge
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2010 at 22:31

H8 Megadeth!

never liked Megadeth.
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
11.02.2010 - 23:41
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Why is Anthrax even on this list?
13.02.2010 - 03:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by bloodwrage on 11.02.2010 at 23:41

Probably because Spreading The Disease and Among The Living are solid old-school thrash metal albums, they contributed to the American thrash metal movement and remain an influence in today's thrash metal scene (even with the genre change like Metallica), and if I'm not mistaken (though I'm sure Marcel will find this post and correct it if I am) Anthrax held their own in the sales department in comparison to the other bands listed. There really is no reason they should be overlooked, although the Exodus snub is unfortunate.

My vote: Metallica, purely for their work in the '80s.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.02.2010 - 03:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Because it's a list about the 80s releases of The Big Four Of Thrash.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2010 - 05:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

anthrax was big and cool enough for THIS back in the day.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2010 - 04:10
whatsacow
Aw, Why the fuck isn't megadouche last?
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.03.2010 - 11:31
Reza
Account deleted
80's were the best time for these bands but IMO Metallica albums were awesome in this decade.
06.03.2010 - 02:30
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
Metallica for sure they had the best albums in the 80's
02.04.2010 - 12:12
Metallica is the obvious choice but beyond that I would say megadeth for their early influence on progressive metal WHY IS SLAYER on this list cough overrated, and reign in blood is the most overrated metal album in history along with metallica's black album
03.04.2010 - 16:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 02.04.2010 at 12:12

WHY IS SLAYER on this list

Like I told someone asking why Anthrax is on this list... duh, this list is about The Big Four Of Thrash.
Btw you are one funny clown calling Slayer overrated when you have them in your favourite bands list.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2010 - 17:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by BitterCOld on 25.01.2010 at 19:35

Im the loser, calm down.

thanks for the sig.

pffft.. haha
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.09.2010 - 21:17
pikachu
Metallica's first four albums are state of the art thrash albums. Ergo, it's easily Metallica.
22.09.2010 - 01:52
RavenKing
For me, the choice is quite easy. Slayer's old material (especially stuff until "Hell Awaits") crushes everything the 3 other bands released.

Never cared for Anthrax.
Never liked Metallica.
Not a big Megadeth fan either.

But Kreator's 80s stuff beats everything else, when it comes to Thrash.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.10.2010 - 20:31
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2010 at 18:57

In Fact I agree with that last statement...
I've been influenced alot by Megadeth and as weird as it may sound alot more by Anthrax...
I found them slightly different from the other thrash metal bands of this time and they brought something new to the genre
For that they influenced my opinion and musical taste aswell as my perception of Thrash metal
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.10.2010 - 03:23
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Since my favorite Megadeth stuff is in the ninety's, I'm going with Anthrax. Among the Living is probably my fav thrash album. And Spreading the Disease was pretty decent.

No surprise Metallica's up top.

So... fucking... overrated....
12.10.2010 - 03:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 12.10.2010 at 03:23

Since my favorite Megadeth stuff is in the ninety's, I'm going with Anthrax. Among the Living is probably my fav thrash album. And Spreading the Disease was pretty decent.

not for their firsty three from the 80s. It seems like loads of revisionism is going on concerning 80s Metallica . None of the other 3 bands would have gone thrash were it not for Metallica.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2010 - 05:17
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2010 at 03:45

Written by Guest on 12.10.2010 at 03:23

not for their firsty three from the 80s. It seems like loads of revisionism is going on concerning 80s Metallica . None of the other 3 bands would have gone thrash were it not for Metallica.

Allow me to disagree with the last sentence. Slayer released "Show No Mercy" in 1983, the same year Metallica released "Kill' Em All".
Also, you neglect the fact that Metallica stole much of Mustaine's riffs on their first albums, so Megadeth would have been Thrash anyway.

You overestimate Metallica's role in the early days of Thrash. Yes, their old albums were good (and keep in mind I even consider AJFA as a good album, unlike you) but they're nevertheless overrated.

And revisionism is a necessity. I mean, looking at things now, with all we know that we ignored years ago, can give a more realistic analysis of the situation. For those of us, like you and me, who were there back then and can remember how it was, looking at things now with age and experience can help to understand many things. Time allows us to see things more as they really were, not influenced by the emotion of the moment.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
12.10.2010 - 13:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Slayer were a cover band at first and started playing thrash due to the metallica Power Metal and No Life Till Lether demos, they have even said so themselves loads of times. Even Exodus and Overkill stepped it up due to those two demosl megadeth of course only started cause Dave got kicked out of the band. As for stuff so called being stolen from Dave that's actually only some stuff and not a whole lot. Remember, Dave wasn't even the first recording guitarist for Metallica, that was Lloyd Grant on Metal Massacre I
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996