Metal Storm logo
Who is the most influential thrash band?

02.08.2006 - 22:31
Endoftherainbow
Alright since the last thread was closed due to lack of clairity I have recreated it. This thread is the same as the thread I created on the old metalstorm. So what thrash metal band has had the biggest influence on METAL. In this thread the influence of the band is irrelevant unless it is an influence on metal and explain your choice don't just name a band or two.

So I think that the most influential thrash bands are Motorhead and Venom because they played a huge influence on all the thrash bands that began in the early 80's.
02.08.2006 - 22:41
Wo0dy
Account deleted
I would say Megadeth.. after them would be Testament
03.08.2006 - 00:04
Nightmare^
I guess it is Slayer...It's one of every band's(even if not thrash, but also black, death, doom) favourite band, one of their influences...
----
03.08.2006 - 00:10
Thrash666
I would have to say Venom.
A lot of people dont give them credit for being the first thrash band. They are a big part of the thrash story and they are a big influence to all thrash, black, and death metal bands.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
03.08.2006 - 00:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just coppy my post in tread ''thrash metal fathers'' or something, its locekd

But I lil eddit my post, whit more explanation.

80ties was Europa, America and Brazil in thrash metal map
In Europe bands like Sabbat, German thrash also Coroner from swisss tart play in early 80ties, then some bands like Venom, Sodom, Creator, Celtic Frost well even Marciful Fate, King Diamond inspirate thrash bands, and there was many many bands ask Ozman, probobly he knows better.
Those bands, in UK I know only Sabbat, once Ozman, told me one band play thrash and Sabbat are great, its diferent how other thrash metal bnads in other world, ok maybe Motorhead too, but
Ok Venom, well Venom, thay still survive after those years
Germany well there was planty bands who play thrash metal and a lot of are werry good, but I cant tell examples exept Rage, Sodom and Kreator, but tehre wa smany many more, and that thrash are diferent how UK,
About Coroner and Celtic Frost yeah I like Coronetr better, and thoe bands are legends and means a lot of.
Mercifull Fate/King Diamnod, and alos Bathory(yes thay inspirate black metal and same tiem thrash metal) who dont know them PM

Brazil then in begining in 80ties start band slike Sarcofago, Holocausto and simmilar playing bands who recoredet some albums and sisapear from metal map
There was atliest 10 band who play simmilar
If you had firts splitt whit sacofago. Holocausto there 2 more Brazilian thrash legends

USA, in Bay area play Metallica, Megadeath, Slayer, Kreator, in NY Anthrax, I hear Anthrax sad thay hear Metalllica demos, and then thay start play speed, Anthrax in demo era play heavy metal, maybe not so sloow how Grave Digger, and not so fats how Motorhead, but after hear metalica demo, thay play thrash, so I think Metallica has thrash fathers in USA, no I mean bay area circle, Metallica, Megadeath, Exodus, Overkill, Testament, leither Possessed, Metal Church, and many many more bands.
Alos Texes thrash and band show Pantera and its still thrash so and all thsie bands are legends
Even if I dont like Pantera
So its hard quasten but those 3 regions what I menation are poiniers f thrash, but in 80tie thrash was called speed metal, some bands leither, even Slayer, Anthrax, Overikill stop play it and play thrash, that speed wasnt how Blind Guardian, but it was fatser how thrash!

Ozman knows better

In my post I try tell its hard tell and explain witch band are moust influencal, I told soem 10 bands and for diferent people ist diferent

Ok alos in czceh Republic its Root and Thoor and Doga
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.08.2006 - 00:24
Trifixion
Account deleted
Slayer, not only because they were such a huge influence on Thrash but they were (and are) influential to other genres, especially Death. And they still are today.
04.08.2006 - 01:08
Natural Disaster
Account deleted
Well. I think the most influential thrash bands are metallica, slayer and venom.
I don't like them at all. I'm more into dark angel and vio-lence.
But I think even the blind can see that these 3 bands are the most influential.
04.08.2006 - 01:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
It is very difficult for me to answer this, but I will give some influencial bands:

Metallica: Who hasn't heard of them? Outside the metalscene, they are somewhat the 'face of metal' i.e. every noob to metal knows them.

Slayer: Their influence is more inside metal. A lot of bands name them as influence, and which band doesn't use a 'Slayerian' riff somewhere?

Pantera: Let's not forget about these guys. Together with Slayer they are/were really influencial on Hardcore and Metalcore, which is metal as well.

Venom: Well known for their 'Black Metal' album, tossing the genre name for nowadays black, also one of the first bands with a 'thrashy' sound. At least that I know of.

Those are the ones I can think of right now.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.08.2006 - 20:16
Natural Disaster
Account deleted
And don't forget:

It's time to fight!
For metal tonight!
Bangers take your stand and obey!
THE METAL COMMAND

EXOFUCKINGDUS
07.08.2006 - 02:18
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
As much as people wouldnt like it to be,the most influential Thrash Metal band is Metallica whether we wanna admit it or not.I wish it were Testament cause they deserve it more.
08.08.2006 - 03:19
tattootildeath
Account deleted
slayer hands down..........metallica,anthrax, exodus, death angel, megadeth, destruction, and kreator as well!
08.08.2006 - 03:43
Staylow
Account deleted
Well, the biggest bands that were a major influnece on the creation and development of thrash, but aren't really thrash would undoubtedly be Venom, Motorhead, Diamond Head and any other NWOBHM band.

As far as the most influential bands that are full fledged thrash, I would have to say Metallica (I know people don't like to admit it anymore because of the direction they went, but ask any late '80's thrash bands why they play the music they do and they will undoubtedly say them, as well as a lot of more modern bands claiming the first four Metallica albums), as well as Slayer, as we all know almost every band playing thrash, groove or death metal with beginnings after 1986 will without a doubt claim Slayer as a prime influence.

After that, Testament, Exodus and Megadeth often get cited as huge influence by many bands - you can hear those bands styles in alot of modern bands sound, escpecially in the USA.

Now, when it comes to newer thrash bands from Europe, most will most likely claim Kreator or Destruction as a huge influence, as well as Coroner, Sodom, and maybe even Tankard.

Thrash metal is my favorite genre, and my area of expertise - I've spent alot of time reading about the origins (by different bands, industry people and others) and history of thrash, as I'm only 25, I missed alot of it, but got into Metallica by the time I was 12, but that was with the Black album, but it didn't take long to hear the older stuff and blow my fragile young mind...
05.10.2006 - 08:27
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Metallica for sure in more opinion. They are the most well known in the non-metal world (keyword: non-metal), and influenced many young bands to start playing metal.
Slayer aren't quite as influencial, and they only really influence bands inside the metal world.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
07.10.2006 - 04:10
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Slayer & Venom. Slayer's Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood influenced litteraly thousands of other bands, not only in thrash, but death and black as well. I think overall that Hell Awaits was the more influential album even thouh RIB is the more popular album. Venom influenced thrash, death, and black with their first few releases as well.
08.10.2006 - 17:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.08.2006 at 03:43

Well, the biggest bands that were a major influnece on the creation and development of thrash, but aren't really thrash would undoubtedly be Venom, Motorhead, Diamond Head and any other NWOBHM band.

As far as the most influential bands that are full fledged thrash, I would have to say Metallica (I know people don't like to admit it anymore because of the direction they went, but ask any late '80's thrash bands why they play the music they do and they will undoubtedly say them, as well as a lot of more modern bands claiming the first four Metallica albums), as well as Slayer, as we all know almost every band playing thrash, groove or death metal with beginnings after 1986 will without a doubt claim Slayer as a prime influence.

After that, Testament, Exodus and Megadeth often get cited as huge influence by many bands - you can hear those bands styles in alot of modern bands sound, escpecially in the USA.

Now, when it comes to newer thrash bands from Europe, most will most likely claim Kreator or Destruction as a huge influence, as well as Coroner, Sodom, and maybe even Tankard.

Thrash metal is my favorite genre, and my area of expertise - I've spent alot of time reading about the origins (by different bands, industry people and others) and history of thrash, as I'm only 25, I missed alot of it, but got into Metallica by the time I was 12, but that was with the Black album, but it didn't take long to hear the older stuff and blow my fragile young mind...

Werry good say

Its proove what i say in my first post here and yours simmilar, lil but georraphical post too Europa, USA, (no Brazil ), hehe I start whit Europa
But ok i know this is more death/thrash but Canadian abnd Slaughter are great too and it isnirated thrash too, its like Possessed mix whit Monstrocity

Alos Canadian band Obliveon and also band like Sadus, Cyuss, Atheist, Sadist? Even if its techical, ist thrash too
----

apos;'
[image]
10.10.2006 - 18:44
?Bodomchild?
Well to me its Motorhead cuz they inspired a lot of band in early 80ties and then appear Metallica its the second most influencial thrash band to me from USA and there is Motorhead from europe
----
asd
11.10.2006 - 01:14
Panterised
Account deleted
III think the most influental bands are Slayer together with Pantera,Metallica and Megadeth
12.10.2006 - 07:29
jadawal
Megadeth and Slayer, and early Metallica like Kill 'Em All, three popular bands that mainly influenced and started the trash metal scene.
18.10.2006 - 03:48
Evil Warrior
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.08.2006 at 03:19

slayer hands down..........metallica,anthrax, exodus, death angel, megadeth, destruction, and kreator as well!

Whoa, death angel? I'm not too sure about that, they dont really fit in with the rest of those metal behemoths you just listed. yeah they were good (at a young age too, drummer was 14 on first cd) but I honestly dont think they were too big of a deal, not compared to the others on your list at least. Dark Angel would be more like it.
18.10.2006 - 07:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.10.2006 at 03:48

Whoa, death angel? I'm not too sure about that, they dont really fit in with the rest of those metal behemoths you just listed. yeah they were good (at a young age too, drummer was 14 on first cd) but I honestly dont think they were too big of a deal, not compared to the others on your list at least. Dark Angel would be more like it.

Okay Death Angel weren't as big as the other bands he mentioned but at the time were just as big and even bigger than Dark Angel, only nowadays aren't they viewed as important as Dark Angel. And Death Angel were at least in Europe they were bigger than Exodus back in the day too.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2006 - 10:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2006 at 07:33

Written by Guest on 18.10.2006 at 03:48

Okay Death Angel weren't as big as the other bands he mentioned but at the time were just as big and even bigger than Dark Angel, only nowadays aren't they viewed as important as Dark Angel. And Death Angel were at least in Europe they were bigger than Exodus back in the day too.

But in that time was a lot of ........ Angel bands, I dunno Death Angel, Dark Angel, and many many many more, dunno them all but I had seen a lot of names of them but hear only fiew, and I even dunno if all was thrash
----

apos;'
[image]
20.10.2006 - 00:28
Unholy_Emperor
There are so many bands very influential, Metallica, Exodus, Overkill, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Kreator, Destruction, Sodom...

But if I would have to choose one, I will choose Slayer, thay have been so influential to hardcore and all the extreme metal scene in general, they are also a real icon and they are still playing nowadays.
21.10.2006 - 05:45
Ripping Corpse
Account deleted
Seems people are really heading towards Slayer, and I'd have to agree. Them and Megadeth stepped it up a knotch. Metallica's first album was good, but you have to admit, not as fast as the latter two. Slayer actually sped up too, and unfortunatley Megadeth slowed down after a few albums. It makes me sad. I wish Dave would go back to thrashing... I would be so freakin happy if he made at least one more thrash album.
26.10.2006 - 20:07
barryjones335
Account deleted
personally for me its megadeth. but honestly for most people and other famous bands its usually a cross betoween megadeth and metallica.
07.11.2006 - 08:13
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Interesting, lots of Megadeth posts, but then think its Slayer, also not forgetting Testament and Exodus.
30.11.2006 - 22:35
angel
Account deleted
in my opinion it is slayer and metallica.just because of reign in blood and kill em all, these are the very first ones.
30.11.2006 - 23:13
Syrack
Account deleted
Slayer is like more underground, that's probably the reason why it's more mentioned as influence.
I would say Metallica and Slayer, too.
01.12.2006 - 11:17
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I'd like to say The Possessed, they seemingly spawned Death Metal singlehandedly, releasing Seven Churches before Death's Scream Bloody Gore, which can be considered the first 'real' death metal album, The Possessed have influenced many death metal bands equally. Them or Slayer
16.01.2007 - 12:38
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
imo Kreator is one of the most influencial Thrash metal bands ever, because it is among the first thrash metal bands, and their music as well as lyrics are also very good.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.01.2007 - 12:40
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
P.S. Doesn't Kreator have a strong fan base?
----
that which shines without names and forms...