03. All Guns Blazing
04. Leather Rebel
05. Metal Meltdown
06. Night Crawler
07. Between The Hammer & The Anvil
08. A Touch Of Evil
09. Battle Hymn
10. One Shot At Glory
11. Living Bad Dreams [Recorded during the 1990 Painkiller sessions] [2001 re-release bonus]
12. Leather Rebel [Live at Foundation's Forum, Los Angeles, California, USA in 13 September 1990] [2001 re-release bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1990: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 3
Featured in "Getting Into: Judas Priest"

Additional info
Produced by Chris Tsangarides.

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
The most wicked, crass, screaming guitars, heaviest? album in Judas Priest's discography with Rob Halford. There are simply not enough attributes to describe it. To many if not most of the fans say it's the best album they ever recorded. For me, it's the second best (pointing at the Screaming For Vengeance review). Of course, this is a perfect production, incredible songwriting, a brand new sound you would not have imagined before 1990, but everybody can have his own view on that.

Read more ››
published 20.12.2003 | Comments (59)

Guest review by
Valentin B
Rating:
The year is 1990 and after 2-3 softer releases like Turbo or Ram it down, Rob Halford, KK Downing, Glenn Tipton, Ian Hill and new drummer Scott Travis (the five members of Judas Priest) decide to do something so brutal, even by death metal standards of the day. It's so heavy, so fast and shredding, yet so catchy and melodic that no-one has ever heard anything like it before.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2006 | Comments (30)

30 years ago, on September 3, 1990, Judas Priest released the perfect heavy metal album. Not A perfect heavy metal album - THE perfect heavy metal album, a nonstop death machine bristling with power and speed that puts all competition to shame. The title track really says it all: it's iconic from head to toe, opening with Scott Travis's merciless drum volley and closing with Rob's peremptory shriek of "PAIN!!", with some of the greatest shredding ever committed to wax in between. But the album doesn't end there; for 47 minutes, Painkiller holds its listeners captive with stratospheric screeching, face-melting guitar solos, and the sleekest, heaviest, most brutally effective solution of thrash-laced heavy metal that the world has ever heard. The snarling evil of "Night Crawler," the pummeling metallic frenzy of "Metal Meltdown," the epic and intimidating groove of "Hell Patrol" - every track is a guaranteed killer from one of the most legendary bands ever to give meaning to the phrase "heavy metal." I love the myriad styles of metal music and I embrace it in all its deathly, blackened, doomy, thrashy, folksy, grindy, djenty extremity, but when it comes to the grand tradition, the classic sound, the stuff that "heavy metal" in its purest form is made of, there is nothing better than Painkiller.

ScreamingSteelUS's picks | More picks ››

Found in 187 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 163   Visited by: 3167 users
03.02.2011 - 02:28
John Shock
I've only heard this album of judas priest...but i have to confess...I Love It, its in my list of 12 best albuns that i have, sounds a little pussy but it's a thing that i enjoy, its gave points to the albuns, any album! In Painkiller i'll give 10!:thumbup:
03.02.2011 - 14:24
RavenKing
Written by John Shock on 03.02.2011 at 02:28

I've only heard this album of judas priest...but i have to confess...I Love It, its in my list of 12 best albuns that i have, sounds a little pussy but it's a thing that i enjoy, its gave points to the albuns, any album! In Painkiller i'll give 10!:thumbup:

If you think "Painkiller" sounds a little pussy, I doubt you will like other albums from this band, apart from perhaps "Jugulator", because "Painkiller" is the heaviest and fastest thing they had ever done at the time it was released.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.03.2011 - 00:52
John Shock
Written by RavenKing on 03.02.2011 at 14:24

Written by John Shock on 03.02.2011 at 02:28

If you think "Painkiller" sounds a little pussy, I doubt you will like other albums from this band, apart from perhaps "Jugulator", because "Painkiller" is the heaviest and fastest thing they had ever done at the time it was released.

RavenKing, sorry, i've made a mistake, i've only saw that mistake now, i didn't mean to say that, nothing that, the only thing ive say that is pussy is my way to like the album, and to review it, i have no words to discribe it, this album change my life, and pussy it's not what i think about the album, pussy is the guy that does like Judas Priest and don't like this album, that is one of my favorite albuns!
02.03.2011 - 07:47
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by advent on 17.02.2010 at 16:57

Written by VPeter on 01.02.2010 at 15:10

One of the worst and overrated albums ever.

can't agree more...and the lyrics really suck

F.O.A.D! This album is heavy fucking metal done right. A constant onslaught of riffs, wailing vocals, lightning drums and guitar solo's, an inaudible bass... What more can you ask for in a metal album? This isn't the kind of album to sit down and quitelty listen to while contemplating over the inner workings of the music. This is metal to crank up to 11 and bang your head for 46 minutes of metal perfection
20.03.2011 - 16:31
RealGone
Superb album. Easily Judas Priest's best since '84. Read my full review of 'Painkiller' here: http://realgonerocks.blogspot.com/2011/03/judas-priest-painkiller.html
20.03.2011 - 16:42
Rating: 9
TrollandDie
I don't know about it being extremely overrated.
The songs are consistently crammed with metal goodness and has a nice pace with riffs-along with some delicious solos.

Drumming can feel either a bit weak or too loud on the production side of things but besides that it's a very, very good album.

It probably isn't perfect but then again, few albums of any musical genre are.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
20.03.2011 - 18:32
Rating: 10
Mountain King
K i K o
My third favorite Judas Priest album if i had to put them in order, and all 3 get a 10/10 from (DOTF & SFV)...
10.06.2011 - 21:16
Zap
Written by KryiisKarl on 09.09.2010 at 23:42

As a very long Judas Priest fan I find it hard to pretend it is their best album. I totally understand why some many people find this album mindblowing of course, and I have no objection, but one can't declare it is their best work. Among big fans of the band you'll find many who clearly don't consider Painkiller their best. As for me if I had to rate just ONE Judas Priest album 10/10 it would be Sad Wings Of Destiny (and next day I would regret not to have mentionned Sin After Sin instead, lol). So for what it is Painkiller is impressive but I can't give it more than 8/10 in their discography.

I personally think this is one of the best Metal albums ever recorded. However, I completely understand what you mean, it's not really a Judas Priest album. I think the most 'Priesty' albums are Sad Wings Of Destiny and Sin After Sin. I just don't consider this album as a Priest album, I see it as THE Heavy Metal record, like someone already said here, if aliens were to ask what Heavy Metal is, I'd let them listen to Painkiller.
11.06.2011 - 06:56
GroundZero
One of my three favourite Judas Priest albums (Painkiller, Ram It Down and Defenders of the Faith). But this is more evolved and heavier than the other two. Everything is perfect in this album. All songs are very good.

Painkiller is a classic album which has been a model for many other bands, including those which belong to the "Power Metal" genre. I agree with many people from above in this thread, this is not a "Power Metal" album, but a "Heavy Metal" one. "Power Metal" comes from "Heavy Metal", but the former is faster and its lyrics are not about darkness (only if they fight against it) and all that stuff which scares "Power-Heads".

I also like "Power Metal", that's the reason why I know some of the differences between those two related genres.
23.06.2011 - 20:36
Death_95
Amazing album, but Living Bad Dreams is a terrible song.
23.06.2011 - 20:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Death_95 on 23.06.2011 at 20:36

why do you think it was never included on the original pressing of the album?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.06.2011 - 00:34
Death_95
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.06.2011 at 20:40

Written by Death_95 on 23.06.2011 at 20:36

why do you think it was never included on the original pressing of the album?

Really? I didn't know, thanks. The song is really weird lol.
Sounds like a song by Bon Jovi...
30.06.2011 - 19:52
sandra2
Written by Mountain King on 06.08.2010 at 01:01

1 good song? Hell Patrol is not good? damn!...all tracks are brilliant, it's Judas Priest! the best heavy metal band...

I totally agree with you.
02.08.2011 - 13:28
lial_87

Go fuck your mother Painkiller is the ultimate album
02.08.2011 - 14:33
Zombie94
The real gem of this album for me is 'Night Crawler', once you get past the title track of course. But if this is regarded as their best album then I'm a tad disappointed.
08.09.2011 - 21:49
Porlaneff
Painkiller is an album to put in the disco and don't skip any track! I don't like very much All Guns Blazing, but Metal Meltdown, A Touch of Evil and the title song are in my top.

If you like any kind of metal, you need to have Painkiller in your collection.
----
Metal is the law
The law is the metal
Metal the law is
Metal
(Metal is the Law - Massacration)
21.10.2011 - 04:06
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by lial_87 on 02.08.2011 at 13:28

Go fuck your mother Painkiller is the ultimate album

hahaha i laughed so much at this...
21.10.2011 - 04:08
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Mountain King on 21.10.2011 at 04:06

I must have missed that the first time around. Best response I've read since the members of Chainsaw Cunt flooded the site...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 04:11
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 04:08

Written by Mountain King on 21.10.2011 at 04:06

I must have missed that the first time around. Best response I've read since the members of Chainsaw Cunt flooded the site...

haha dI'm still laughing man can't stop...
30.10.2011 - 02:36
Metalex
Great albulms with killer tracks! cheers
30.10.2011 - 03:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 04:08
:lol: I must have missed that the first time around. Best response I've read since the members of Chainsaw Cunt flooded the site...

Don't you mean Diminished? lol That thread will live long in the memory, for all the wrong reasons!
30.10.2011 - 05:57
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.10.2011 at 03:13
Don't you mean Diminished? lol That thread will live long in the memory, for all the wrong reasons!

Bah, shitty band name/album it's all the same.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.10.2011 - 06:05
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.10.2011 at 03:13

Link? Sounds like it would be an enjoyable read.

And to make this post relevant to Painkiller, I was air guitaring the fuck out of the title track's solo at the Priest show two weeks ago.
25.12.2011 - 04:19
0_byte
For me song Painkiller sings like Testament's New order...or it's just seems?
21.01.2012 - 16:27
musicalkaratekid
Fucking brilliant album.
01.03.2012 - 20:49
Korah
This...is...the Perfectalbum!
----
Don't cry for my English
07.03.2012 - 17:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The single most overrated album in the history of metal. And my God it sounds immensely outdated and tired and forced nowadays.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2012 - 17:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 17:04

The single most overrated album in the history of metal. And my God it sounds immensely outdated and tired and forced nowadays.

I'm just happy you gave it a 7
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.03.2012 - 17:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 07.03.2012 at 17:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 17:04

I'm just happy you gave it a 7

It's not bad, just immensely overrated. Even at the time it wasn't as good as people nowadays make it out to be. Clearly they wnated to sound heavy because that was the trend at the time. They jumped the Pantera bandwagon.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2012 - 22:12
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Huge step up from the previous two Priest albums! Different from any other old album of theirs. Definately the heaviest. It's intense, I like it.

Hits total: 99862 | This month: 397