03. All Guns Blazing
04. Leather Rebel
05. Metal Meltdown
06. Night Crawler
07. Between The Hammer & The Anvil
08. A Touch Of Evil
09. Battle Hymn
10. One Shot At Glory
11. Living Bad Dreams [Recorded during the 1990 Painkiller sessions] [2001 re-release bonus]
12. Leather Rebel [Live at Foundation's Forum, Los Angeles, California, USA in 13 September 1990] [2001 re-release bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1990: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 3
Featured in "Getting Into: Judas Priest"

Additional info
Produced by Chris Tsangarides.

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
The most wicked, crass, screaming guitars, heaviest? album in Judas Priest's discography with Rob Halford. There are simply not enough attributes to describe it. To many if not most of the fans say it's the best album they ever recorded. For me, it's the second best (pointing at the Screaming For Vengeance review). Of course, this is a perfect production, incredible songwriting, a brand new sound you would not have imagined before 1990, but everybody can have his own view on that.

Read more ››
published 20.12.2003 | Comments (59)

Guest review by
Valentin B
Rating:
The year is 1990 and after 2-3 softer releases like Turbo or Ram it down, Rob Halford, KK Downing, Glenn Tipton, Ian Hill and new drummer Scott Travis (the five members of Judas Priest) decide to do something so brutal, even by death metal standards of the day. It's so heavy, so fast and shredding, yet so catchy and melodic that no-one has ever heard anything like it before.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2006 | Comments (30)

30 years ago, on September 3, 1990, Judas Priest released the perfect heavy metal album. Not A perfect heavy metal album - THE perfect heavy metal album, a nonstop death machine bristling with power and speed that puts all competition to shame. The title track really says it all: it's iconic from head to toe, opening with Scott Travis's merciless drum volley and closing with Rob's peremptory shriek of "PAIN!!", with some of the greatest shredding ever committed to wax in between. But the album doesn't end there; for 47 minutes, Painkiller holds its listeners captive with stratospheric screeching, face-melting guitar solos, and the sleekest, heaviest, most brutally effective solution of thrash-laced heavy metal that the world has ever heard. The snarling evil of "Night Crawler," the pummeling metallic frenzy of "Metal Meltdown," the epic and intimidating groove of "Hell Patrol" - every track is a guaranteed killer from one of the most legendary bands ever to give meaning to the phrase "heavy metal." I love the myriad styles of metal music and I embrace it in all its deathly, blackened, doomy, thrashy, folksy, grindy, djenty extremity, but when it comes to the grand tradition, the classic sound, the stuff that "heavy metal" in its purest form is made of, there is nothing better than Painkiller.

ScreamingSteelUS's picks | More picks ››

Found in 186 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 6

Comments: 163   Visited by: 3161 users
12.05.2016 - 11:19
Rating: 9
Metal Ninja

Excellent slice of metal, it took me a while to appreciate Judas Priest when I was younger & the older I got the more I enjoyed and got into them!
The whole album is excellent and full of headbanging riffs and superb musicical interplay accompanied by Robb Halfords brilliant vocal performance throughout, a must have album for any metal fan.
Unfortunately i cant sing for shit but I always try & do the title song at karaoke bar with some friends & after a few beers haha
09.09.2016 - 19:48
nikarg

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 17:07

Written by BloodTears on 07.03.2012 at 17:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 17:04

The single most overrated album in the history of metal. And my God it sounds immensely outdated and tired and forced nowadays.

I'm just happy you gave it a 7

It's not bad, just immensely overrated. Even at the time it wasn't as good as people nowadays make it out to be. Clearly they wnated to sound heavy because that was the trend at the time. They jumped the Pantera bandwagon.

Taste is of course subjective, so people don't necessarily rate music the same way. For instance I consider Blackwater Park the most overrated album in the history of metal and I know most people in here would disagree. So if Painkiller sounds outdated, forced and tired to your ears, it's perfectly okay, because it's your taste. However, the argument that Priest jumped the Pantera bandwagon must be a joke. Pantera were universally unknown until Cowboys From Hell, which was their breakthrough (nobody was interested at all in their previous albums). If you are talking about the ''Power Metal'' album, it's Pantera who are replicating Priest and Phil is trying really hard to sound like Halford (which is impossible of course and he sounds fucking awful, although the music is not bad). Cowboys From Hell came out the same year as Painkiller and there is nothing to compare between the two musically, (qualitywise too, but as I already said taste is subjective). At the time, Pantera were being brutally bashed by the metal circles for replicating Metallica (unjustifiably I think), but I never heard anyone comparing Priest to Pantera. Also when Painkiller came out, everyone was shocked at how brilliant it was, it's not nowadays that people make it out to be great. There was no internet at the time, but all metal magazines and fanzines were raving about it. I don't know whether you listened to metal back then, but if you did, your comments about this album are really surprising to say the least.
09.09.2016 - 19:54
Zap
Written by nikarg on 09.09.2016 at 19:48

lots of text

He probably means that they jumped the Pantera bandwagon in the sense that they were trying to become more popular by making heavier music, because that's how Pantera became popular.
09.09.2016 - 20:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by nikarg on 09.09.2016 at 19:48

I don't know whether you listened to metal back then...

I have been listening to metal since 1979.

When I said jumping the Pantera bandwagon I meant them wanting to sound heavier due to the fact a band such as Pantera got popular with the heavy sound, not that Priest sounds like Pantera, because that comparison would be totally ridiculous.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.09.2016 - 21:01
nikarg

Quote:
I have been listening to metal since 1979.

When I said jumping the Pantera bandwagon I meant them wanting to sound heavier due to the fact a band such as Pantera got popular with the heavy sound, not that Priest sounds like Pantera, because that comparison would be totally ridiculous.

Got your point now, I thought you meant that Priest tried to sound like Pantera. Since you started listening to metal 9 years earlier than me (lucky you! ), I guess all the other points I made must ring a few bells. And by the way, I didn't mean to sound offensive and I hope I didn't.
09.09.2016 - 21:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by nikarg on 09.09.2016 at 21:01

Got your point now, I thought you meant that Priest tried to sound like Pantera. Since you started listening to metal 9 years earlier than me (lucky you! ), I guess all the other points I made must ring a few bells. And by the way, I didn't mean to sound offensive and I hope I didn't.

You didn't come across offensive at all. So, no probs.
As for your other points. It depends on where you were and what mags I read, I guess. I myself wrote for Meltdown Metal Magazine at the time and there it was received well by about half the writers and not good at all by the rest. And that's how it was received all over the Netherlands by mags and fanzines.
But Judas Priest did have Pantera (and also Annihilator) opening for them on their Painkiller tour in 1991.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.09.2016 - 22:06
nikarg

Quote:
You didn't come across offensive at all. So, no probs.
As for your other points. It depends on where you were and what mags I read, I guess. I myself wrote for Meltdown Metal Magazine at the time and there it was received well by about half the writers and not good at all by the rest. And that's how it was received all over the Netherlands by mags and fanzines.
But Judas Priest did have Pantera (and also Annihilator) opening for them on their Painkiller tour in 1991.

I am afraid that in Greece we only had Metal Hammer and a few local fanzines at the time. The way that we found out about music back then seems almost paleolithic today. I wasn't even interested in Judas Priest up until then, because I was mainly into thrash (it was the '80s after all), but when i came across Painkiller it really blew my mind.
20.06.2017 - 15:59
Rating: 10
BlackMetalDay

Couldn't disagree more with this album sounding forced.
In Painkiller they don't sound like a hard rock band anymore, which makes it less outdated than the former (and nonetheless great) albums.
For sure one of the best metal album in history!
22.06.2017 - 14:31
VIG
Account deleted
Written by BlackMetalDay on 20.06.2017 at 15:59

Couldn't disagree more with this album sounding forced.
In Painkiller they don't sound like a hard rock band anymore, which makes it less outdated than the former (and nonetheless great) albums.
For sure one of the best metal album in history!

You know an album being forced is a bad thing. I think you're thinking that forced means something along the lines of heavy, when it really means the band is trying to do something really hard but are failing
23.06.2017 - 13:02
BlackMetalDay

Written by Guest on 22.06.2017 at 14:31

You know an album being forced is a bad thing. I think you're thinking that forced means something along the lines of heavy, when it really means the band is trying to do something really hard but are failing

No, I understood correctly what 'forced' meant, and I'm sticking with what I've said in my above comment
23.06.2017 - 16:30
BlackMetalDay

Yes, double negation
17.12.2017 - 14:14
VIG
Account deleted
I actually like this album a lot it seems.
18.12.2017 - 21:04
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
I am going to come across as arrogant here (probably), but I must say that as a songwriter I think I can recognize what "let's do X because we can, not bc we are inspired or actually care" sounds like. And it sounds like Painkiller. It sounds 100% like Painkiller.

Also, understanding music theory and being able to compose and play music IN NO WAY translates to superior taste, that is not my point. Just wanted to make that clear just in case.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
07.02.2018 - 20:07
escr_alien
Account deleted
The heavist of their stuff and also their best
02.01.2019 - 22:45
Maasai Mara

If this does not make you bang your head and sing along, you my friend are a cuck. if you rate this lower than 9, you are a gay cuck.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
02.01.2019 - 23:08
JoHn Doe

Written by Maasai Mara on 02.01.2019 at 22:45

If this does not make you bang your head and sing along, you my friend are a cuck. if you rate this lower than 9, you are a gay cuck.

No need for insults. And i rate this lower than 9 and i do bang my head to it.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
02.01.2019 - 23:18
Maasai Mara

Written by JoHn Doe on 02.01.2019 at 23:08

well on the gay cuck scale, by how much you deviate from 9 that is your gay cuck rating out of 10.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
02.01.2019 - 23:30
JoHn Doe

Written by Maasai Mara on 02.01.2019 at 23:18

well on the gay cuck scale, by how much you deviate from 9 that is your gay cuck rating out of 10.

You're a newbie, throwing insults at others won't get you anything. Maybe you think you're cool or something, well you are not. People will have different opinions will you insult them all?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
02.01.2019 - 23:35
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by JoHn Doe on 02.01.2019 at 23:30

You're a newbie, throwing insults at others won't get you anything. Maybe you think you're cool or something, well you are not. People will have different opinions will you insult them all?

He also posted a troll comment on the Blackwater Park thread, I think it's best we all ignore him from this moment onward until he sobers up or something ;-)
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
03.01.2019 - 00:01
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Maasai Mara on 02.01.2019 at 23:18

So that'll be 3/10 in my case. 6/10 is no blasphemous act but a generous rating if you just can't stand Halford's ridiculously high pitched voice. On the other hand it's a classic and I'm neither doubting the impact of it nor the quality of some of the contained blockbuster hits.

But don't you think it's kinda hypocritical yelling "gay!" when we are talking about Rob Halford, the epitome of Heavy Metal's gay community?
And why did you delete all traces of Gorgoroth (with Gaahl being the epitome of Black Metal's gay community) in your profile just a couple of minutes ago?

It's no shame questioning your own sexuality, just deal with it.
----
signatures = SPAM
03.01.2019 - 00:28
Maasai Mara

Written by Starvynth on 03.01.2019 at 00:01

So that'll be 3/10 in my case. 6/10 is no blasphemous act but a generous rating if you just can't stand Halford's ridiculously high pitched voice. On the other hand it's a classic and I'm neither doubting the impact of it nor the quality of some of the contained blockbuster hits.

But don't you think it's kinda hypocritical yelling "gay!" when we are talking about Rob Halford, the epitome of Heavy Metal's gay community?
And why did you delete all traces of Gorgoroth (with Gaahl being the epitome of Black Metal's gay community) in your profile just a couple of minutes ago?

Halford is gay, Gaahl is gay, you are 3/10 gay. Judas priest rocks, Gorgoroth is amongst my favourite black metal bands, if you are part of a band send me a link to your music. Perhaps i just like bands with gay members.
----
03.01.2019 - 00:29
Maasai Mara

just the ones who rate this lower than 9.
----
03.01.2019 - 00:43
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Maasai Mara on 03.01.2019 at 00:28

Written by Starvynth on 03.01.2019 at 00:01

[...]

Halford is gay, Gaahl is gay, you are 3/10 gay.

Pheew, thanks for your approval. I was afraid it would be more than 30%, though.

Written by Maasai Mara on 03.01.2019 at 00:28

Judas priest rocks, Gorgoroth is amongst my favourite black metal bands, if you are part of a band send me a link to your music. Perhaps i just like bands with gay members.

Here we go. I am the tattooed bald guy.
----
signatures = SPAM
03.01.2019 - 00:51
JoHn Doe

Written by Maasai Mara on 03.01.2019 at 00:29

just the ones who rate this lower than 9.

Thank you, god bless
----
03.01.2019 - 02:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Omg someone using gay as an insult. do you live in the middle ages?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.01.2019 - 02:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Btw this album is a 6/10 at most.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.01.2019 - 03:12
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.01.2019 at 02:29

Omg someone using gay as an insult. do you live in the middle ages?

Not even necessary to be in the middle ages, still plenty of places today where it is considered an insult and probably an acceptable reason to kill someone

On topic, it's a good album with many catchy tunes but wears off after some time. Bombastic but still good. There are older albums I'd rather listen to.
31.07.2020 - 18:12
metalbrat

Touch of evil alone is enough to make this album a 10/10. Classic.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
03.09.2020 - 15:14
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Crazy how 30 years later no heavy metal album even came close.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.09.2020 - 16:27
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 03.09.2020 at 15:14

Crazy how 30 years later no heavy metal album even came close.

Agreed. I can't name a single other purely heavy metal album that I enjoy nearly as much as this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 99767 | This month: 302