Metal Storm logo
Kamelot

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 15:38
The Power Metallers from the USA.

Underwhile pretty known. And there're plans for making a new album.
That news was written partly in the latest newsletter. Which was posted in the old Forum I thought.

Continue please. That will make me happy.
01.02.2011 - 04:37
Metal_4Ever

Yeah.. that right kamelot #1 power metal but poetry 4 the poisoned actually i love the drama but the album is goood
13.02.2011 - 20:22
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Any idea how Kamelot sounds without khan? I mean apparently they're coming with Fabio Lione which to me sounds like a weird pic for a kamelot singer...
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
14.02.2011 - 01:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Icarus on 13.02.2011 at 20:22

Any idea how Kamelot sounds without khan? I mean apparently they're coming with Fabio Lione which to me sounds like a weird pic for a kamelot singer...

Check out their first few releases...
28.04.2011 - 23:17
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Well, first of all, I must say that I am a huge fan of Roy Khan, I consider him favorite and best male vocal in metal music. So when it became official that he left the band, although it was kinda expected all the previous months, with rumors, sitting out tours and stuff ... I just thought OK that's it...
Someone will remember, that last year one one occasion Michael Eriksen from Circus Maximus, whom as it happens I rate among the top metal vocalist, did a gig with Kamelot on ProgPower USA .. there's a youtube video of "Center of the Universe", and it kinda kicks-asses ... he's fantastic.
Well, I sumbled upon some more videos, with Fabio Leone, and Tommy Karevik .. and I must say, holy fuckin shit, Karevik is just awesome. I knew the guy from Seventh Wonder albums, but .. he is just at ease with all the Kamelot songs, so natural. So the only guy I really really dislike is Fabio Leone, because he likes to scream to much form my taste and has that horrible italian accent ...

I must admit, few of these clips have given me faith that Kamelot is acutally still gona be fantastic...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
10.05.2011 - 16:12
Keitaro333

From the recent Kamelot show i thought Fabio was a very good pick. He has a similar voice to Roy and it sounded good with him. It'll be interesting to see who they're new singer will be.
10.05.2011 - 17:13
IronAngel

I just hope this also means a change in musical direction and they start writing good stuff again. It's been one downhill slide since Epica. The Black Halo is still good because of its great song material, but even that approach wouldn't carry very far. And no comments about the last two. >_> Now they have an opportunity to reinvent themselves.
10.05.2011 - 19:00
Susan
Smeghead
Yeah it'll definitely be interesting to see where the band goes musically, since Khan was an important part of the composition process. I adore the last few albums and would like more of that.... but nonetheless would be excited with a brand new direction; exploration is fun, too.

Khan's voice is also just so damn unique in the metal world that no matter what they do it'll be interesting with a new set of pipes. Just as long as they don't bring in some typical high-pitched power metal singer then I'll be happy. Kamelot has just never been typical (well, not for a very long time anyway) and I hope they never are. I trust the boys.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.05.2011 - 21:37
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Susan on 10.05.2011 at 19:00

Just as long as they don't bring in some typical high-pitched power metal singer then I'll be happy.

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest...
Would be a shame though, Kamelot are one of the few metal bands I still listen to.
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
10.05.2011 - 22:15
Susan
Smeghead
^ Bas, it wouldn't surprise you? Why? It would surprise the hell out of me. Thomas, Casey and the gang usually strive for awesome and never settle for anything typical.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
11.05.2011 - 07:56
Yasmine

"Just as long as they don't bring in some typical high-pitched power metal singer then I'll be happy"

Oxymoron, most men cant sing comfortably above C6, nothing typical about it and I'd be fine listening to someone who had a higher range than Khan. Not sure why people have a problem with certain ranges. Don't bother trying to explain it, I know no matter the reason it won't be rational.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
11.05.2011 - 13:25
IronAngel

Written by Yasmine on 11.05.2011 at 07:56

"Just as long as they don't bring in some typical high-pitched power metal singer then I'll be happy"

Oxymoron, most men cant sing comfortably above C6, nothing typical about it and I'd be fine listening to someone who had a higher range than Khan. Not sure why people have a problem with certain ranges. Don't bother trying to explain it, I know no matter the reason it won't be rational.

Oh my god, why aren't you banned already?

High-pitched male singers are extremely typical in power metal. I take it you don't have much experience in the genre? You're an alleged science student, so I'm sure you'll appreciate some empirical study. Here's what we'll do:

I am looking at featured MS bands filtered through the power metal tag. I see there are some so-called "extreme power" bands that are really a different beast altogether, so let's exclude them (Kalmah, Wintersun, COB). I organize them by popularity. Let's take the first ten bands: Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Helloween, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Nevermore, Hammerfall, Stratovarius. I'm no musicologist, but it's safe to say that Sonata Arctica, Helloween, Symphony X, Hammerfall and Stratovarius all have high-pitched male singers. Nightwish (when they were power metal, Oceanborn and Wishmaster) had a high-pitched power metal singer, though female. Hansi in Blind Guardian has quite a range, and his vocals on A Night At The Opera are high-pitched if not "typical." Nevermore and Iced Earth have rougher singers, typical "US-power". Kamelot had a smooth, classically trained voice.

So it's safe to say that out of the 10 most popular power metal bands, 5 have a predominantly high-pitched male singer, 6 have a predominantly high-pitched singer of either gender, and all of them have singers with a lot of range. So it's perfectly valid to talk about "typical high-pitched power meal singers."

You seem to posit the FALLACY that "typical" refers to all cases in reality without qualification. The word presupposes a selected universe of cases from which you pick the cases that meet whatever standards you've set. In this case, the universe is "all power metal singers", not "all males" or "all humans" or "all mass in the cosmos". And in that universe of power metal singers, being high-pitched is at least typical. Further statistical study would probably show it to be the norm, because the most popular bands are probably so because they stand out somehow.

So yes, the statement is not rational, but also undoubtedly true. You've fallen victim to a scary, hairy fallacy.
11.05.2011 - 17:38
thehondo

Whats the possibility of Khan showing up somewhere else? Like with his old bud Tore Ostby in Ark?
----
No time like the present
11.05.2011 - 21:56
Yasmine

Written by thehondo on 11.05.2011 at 17:38

Whats the possibility of Khan showing up somewhere else? Like with his old bud Tore Ostby in Ark?

Probably pretty good in a year or 2 to be honest I think he'll take a short break.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
12.05.2011 - 23:37
Susan
Smeghead
Written by thehondo on 11.05.2011 at 17:38

That would be SO cool if we heard from him again in the future! I don't get the feeling that it'll happen.. since the circumstances behind his leaving Kamelot and all. I don't think he'll be looking for another band any time soon. BUT things change in life so maybe, maybe we'll hear him do some awesome guest spots somewhere
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
22.05.2011 - 22:29
Metal_4Ever

I think Roy Khan plan for something...
and Roy Khan will always = Kamelot
06.06.2011 - 13:05
Pazu

Guys, here's some interesting news regarding Fabio Lione and Kamelot. I just thought, I'd share it with you:

Full interview on Stormbringer: http://www.stormbringer.at/interviews.php?id=942&lang=en

How is the tour with Kamelot going so far?

Fabio: Great!!! I have to say that the guys are very nice, I love the songs and the band and everything is goin' in the best way. I'm also very happy to see that the Kamelot fans are with me and the band. Every show we have a great time, it's a great experience for me. We feel like old friends, I have to say that we are havin' a great time and great shows together.

Currently you are a temporary replacement of Khan in Kamelot. Would you ever consider a permanent place in Kamelot should the guys of the band ask you?

Fabio: Well, I would love it!!! The Kamelot songs are great, I really like the style and Khan is probably one of the few singers that I like. So of course I would consider that!!! But first let's do the European tour and the North-American one, Then, if they will ask me, I'll be more than happy to join the band permanently. Since the first time we met and played together we had a very good feelin'. Everything was easy and natural like we knew each other for years and everybody who saw the band in South-America or Europe said we did great shows!!! I'm happy for the guys and the fans, so let's see what the future will bring for us -.never say never!!!

Where are the differences or challenges in singing for your own band in comparison to being a guest singer in another well established band like Kamelot?

Fabio: It's not easy, I have to say, but in this case I knew khan since the Conception era and I know his voice,style and way to sing, he's great!!! So it was a little bit more easy for me 'cause I knew the songs and especially the singer very well, but you have to be in front of many people, fans that are used to see and hear someone else, it's not really an easy job. The best is do it with passion and make people happy. Anyway I don't think I do something easy in Rhapsody of Fire or Vision Divine, I always liked to do not easy things and this new experience it's very good for me. I just try to do it in the best way I can.
09.06.2011 - 00:52
Pazu

Indeed, he's doing a great job. At first I was a little sceptical, but Fabio has had a few months to practice those songs now, and the result is stunning. His performance on 'A Sailorman's Hymn' in Cologne, Germany three weeks ago was incredible. Link!
14.07.2011 - 02:24
Metal_4Ever

So who do you think the next Kamelot's singer ??
17.07.2011 - 03:59
GroundZero

Michael Kiske would be a good option, he can fill Khan's shoes. Although to convince Kiske to join a band permanently is an impossible task.
25.08.2011 - 05:57
Metal_4Ever

Is there any news about new DVD album or something..?
25.08.2011 - 12:00
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 22.05.2011 at 22:29

I think Roy Khan plan for something...
and Roy Khan will always = Kamelot

I'll never understand why people put such an emphasis on the vocalists. I love Khan, always have, but without Thomas Youngblood there would be no Kamelot. It is an insult to him and the rest of the band to pretend that Kamelot was Roy Khan's stage name.
25.08.2011 - 12:56
Metal_4Ever

Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 12:00

I'll never understand why people put such an emphasis on the vocalists. I love Khan, always have, but without Thomas Youngblood there would be no Kamelot. It is an insult to him and the rest of the band to pretend that Kamelot was Roy Khan's stage name.

I've got your point and I know that without Thomas there would be no Kamelot, but don't you remember that most of the fans are here for Roy Khan! and I asked about more than 10 Kamelot's fan about why they do love Kamelot then they answered me because of Roy Khan.
Kamelot without Roy Khan will continue but not as much as continue with Roy.
25.08.2011 - 13:10
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 25.08.2011 at 12:56

Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 12:00

I've got your point and I know that without Thomas there would be no Kamelot, but don't you remember that most of the fans are here for Roy Khan! and I asked about more than 10 Kamelot's fan about why they do love Kamelot then they answered me because of Roy Khan.
Kamelot without Roy Khan will continue but not as much as continue with Roy.

I know why most people like Kamelot, but that doesn't justify overlooking the primary creative force in the band. Not trying to pick a fight here, just making a point. As for myself, I will miss Khan of course, but I didn't really care musically for Poetry For The Poisoned, the songwriting which was most important to me - even more so than Khan's voice - is already missing.
30.01.2012 - 05:00
chronic-headache

So what'sthe latest on the bands vocalist hunt and album release date?
11.09.2012 - 20:11
GhostofCain

Written by chronic-headache on 30.01.2012 at 05:00

So what'sthe latest on the bands vocalist hunt and album release date?

The new vocalist is Tommy Karevik from the band Seventh Wonder, the new album is called "Silverthorn" the US released date is October 30, 2012. The new single is called "Scarimony (Angel of Afterlife)" and is available in iTunes. It has a Karma/Epica feel to it with a more modern edge. It kicks ass. I'm looking forward to this album, but still hope to see Roy Khan return to the music scene in some for of fashion in the near future.
11.09.2012 - 20:21
GhostofCain

Written by GroundZero on 17.07.2011 at 03:59

Michael Kiske would be a good option, he can fill Khan's shoes. Although to convince Kiske to join a band permanently is an impossible task.

Michael Kiske has never had any interest in joining bands with established pasts. He's not a fan of singing another singer's material other than a few covers here and there. He's more interested in writing original material with an original project.
12.01.2015 - 00:56
Oakdude

Last post in here was 2012, let's change that. I just joined Metal Storm and Kamelot is one of my favorite bands and would love to discuss them.

What do you guys think the next album will be like? I hope to see better lyrics than on Silverthorn, and epic songs like old Kamelot rather than catchy pop-metal...
19.01.2015 - 20:47
TickingTock

Written by Oakdude on 12.01.2015 at 00:56

Last post in here was 2012, let's change that. I just joined Metal Storm and Kamelot is one of my favorite bands and would love to discuss them.

What do you guys think the next album will be like? I hope to see better lyrics than on Silverthorn, and epic songs like old Kamelot rather than catchy pop-metal...

Same reasons as I joined too! Hoping the next album will be more along the lines of Epica and The Black Halo (My two favourite Kamelot albums!). Saying that, I did think Silverthorn was an impressive debut from Tommy. Alot better than Poetry for the Positioned anyway..
31.01.2015 - 00:10
Dead Eternity
Account deleted
Written by TickingTock on 19.01.2015 at 20:47

Same reasons as I joined too! Hoping the next album will be more along the lines of Epica and The Black Halo (My two favourite Kamelot albums!).

I don't have any hopes for the next album. I think they just wrote the same thing again. It'll be like Rhapsody Of Fire.
31.01.2015 - 06:28
Susan
Smeghead
Oh god I hope you're wrong. Thomas did say in some interview that they were happy to get back to straight power metal after doing too much progressive stuff on Poetry; then we were left with the generic shit that was Silverthorn. I hope they aren't out of ideas, or that Roy wasn't the source of ALL the good ideas. If they fade into the same droll power metal that Rhapsody and other "greats" churn out in their old age then I'll be very, very sad. They tried hard to reach the top, they explored music right to the pinnacle; I hope they don't just get comfortable with their fame at this point.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"