Poll

Which film was better in overall?

American History X
This Is England

Total votes: 27
03.02.2010 - 17:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
These are two of my all time favorite films, and I always like them when I watch them again and again.. The reason I've put them in a battle poll is the concept of both films are one and that's about Nationalism.. But in totally different environments.
If you haven't watched the films, I seriously recommend you to do, but if you've watched them, so share your opinions on the two of them.. about the stories, acting, production and director stuffs.. So at the end chose one as the superior to the other one in your opinion..
Anyway, it's really hard for me to chose. Both films are my favorites, and in my opinion both films are well all the way.. Both films are well-made and well-acted. The story of American History X was more about racism against black people and This is England was more concerned with Muslims emigrating to their country..
This is England more impressed me, though American History X did as well. But in overall I think This is England got the point, even though the idea may be OK, but the way they acted like that was not reasonable.. And also can't resist the 80's England streets atmosphere as well, in the films it was well portrait, according to what I'd heard about it..
After all, I voted for This is England..
03.02.2010 - 18:27
Immortal
I've seen both and I think they're both brilliant so I'm not going to choose between the two. I must admit though, when I saw the front cover of 'This Is England' I thought it was going to be some sort of comedy because of the way the little lad was dressed, but then after I watched it I realised it's one of the saddest films I've ever seen...
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
03.02.2010 - 18:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Romper Stomper is a good movie too, similar in respects to the neo-Nazism of American History X. I haven't seen This Is England, but I'll see if I can locate a copy to rent or something. Movies dealing with topics of nationalism are always interesting to watch, regardless of whether or not you agree with the ideologies portrayed.

Vote: American History X
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.02.2010 - 20:50
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Well, I voted for This is England because American History X had a lot of clichés and Norton's "conversion" was totally unconvincing. He was spectacular as a nazi, though. To be honest, I didn't find This is England that brilliant either so my choice was determined by negative considerations.
If someone wants to see a really good movie about neonazi skinheads I suggest you to watch The Believer which is much better than the ones mentioned here. Ryan Gosling's character shines out throughout the movie and the plot is original and disturbing as hell. Although in the end it is clear that the movie is more about jews than skinheads. But I really really really recommend it, one of my greatest discoveries recently.

I would love to see some more good films about skinheads, and not just neo-nazi skinheads because this subculture is much wider and more interesting than some may think.
06.02.2010 - 09:58
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I love American history X, if This Is England is anything like A H X i must watch it
06.02.2010 - 10:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont know if I shood vote but both was same style films abouts skins n nazies, UK Nacinal front and some activist vs USA Neo nazies groos: W.A.R. Skins, Nazie Lowriders, Aryan Brotherhood vs Black street gangs(what I hate)(vrips, bloods) and Mexicans(Surenios, La Emme) or latinos gangs, films was good, what I liked best maybe History channel documentaries about those groops, because both films was blody and brutal, but since I trooly dont like skin heds, I dont know what was better
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.08.2010 - 11:39
JD
Account deleted
American History X amazing movie.
30.08.2010 - 16:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I rarely enjoy films that don't have lazers and shit like that but I really enjoyed This Is England. Oddly enough I was on my way to the tv series thread to talk about This Is England '86 which is a 4 part series on Channel 4 coming up soon which I'm looking forward too. Romper Stomper is also a damn good film but my general dislike of everything Russell Crowe stops me loving it.
23.09.2010 - 04:19
Deus Ex Machina
I saw parts of American History X. It was always on tv in just bizarre hours, and I'd always fall asleep, wake up 2-3 hours later wanting to kick myself. I remember being kinda impressed by Edward Norton. I never just downloaded it, and I should have a long time ago. I plan on sitting down and finally watching it really soon. I'll try This is England, too. So I can compare. And I'll also maybe try the others mentioned here when I get the time.
23.09.2010 - 11:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Don't know any of those films
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.09.2010 - 13:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 23.09.2010 at 11:33

X is old from 80's about american skin head who kill 3 black ppl who try steal his car , eh shood 2 dead and other he boot stomped and get time in slammer, not murder but valantering man slaughter some 4 years and he seas those ''true nazie white supremacy belivers'' deal whit black n mexican gangs there and when he gets out he try change his life, get away from white idiology and take away his bro...who been killed in school from black

Eng is about UK skin heads who try tech paki ppl and there is one boy litle boy age 12 ...good films proves skin heads are idiots, who shood be get rid of
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2010 - 15:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm enjoying This Is England '86 though I missed the last episode. Will catch up soon hopefully. It's both hilarious and tragic at the same time.
23.09.2010 - 16:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I know what are the films about...with "i dont know" i meant i havent seen them
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.09.2010 - 23:08
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Bad English on 23.09.2010 at 13:15

Written by Ellrohir on 23.09.2010 at 11:33

X is old from 80's about american skin head who kill 3 black ppl who try steal his car , eh shood 2 dead and other he boot stomped and get time in slammer, not murder but valantering man slaughter some 4 years and he seas those ''true nazie white supremacy belivers'' deal whit black n mexican gangs there and when he gets out he try change his life, get away from white idiology and take away his bro...who been killed in school from black

Eng is about UK skin heads who try tech paki ppl and there is one boy litle boy age 12 ...good films proves skin heads are idiots, who shood be get rid of

American History X was released in '98, are you in the present year of 2010 too ?
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
23.09.2010 - 23:19
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Both these movies were well done and good food for thought.
What's most distinguishable is their styles. This is England is slower paced and American History X starts off with an immediate sense of urgency. Umm, the racism/separatism are both strongly portrayed. Honestly, it comes down to what kind of movie you prefer in terms of directing and acting. I thought AHX was heavier and also had a stronger ending.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.09.2010 - 21:03
Kennoth
I only watched American History X, besides, Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
02.10.2010 - 20:50
Krankheit
Account deleted
Both are great movies, but in their own way. This is England is one of my favorite movies. This movie is probably the only one which is not only about nazi skin heads, but portraits how the original skin heads where. One of the main reasons why I like this movie is because of the acting of Thomas Turgoose, just class acting.
03.10.2010 - 15:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sisanje lil serbien version about those 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6VSm3D0DJY&feature=related
----

apos;'
[image]
05.10.2010 - 22:56
Baz Anderson
staff
"This Is England" is set in my home town.
13.05.2011 - 18:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hata Göteborg
Swedsish version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmIy0nrtXY4
----

apos;'
[image]
13.05.2011 - 23:47
Mikyz
Both movies are awesome, but the unforgettable sidewalk killing in American History X gives it the advantage along with Edward Norton's stellar performance.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
11.01.2012 - 01:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There is new italian film oyt it calls ACAB (All Cops Are bastards) its simmilar how those about football hooligans and Italian cops, I saw trrailer loks pretty interesting if you like those you shood like also this when its eb out I will put on my download list, seems only in Italian , lil Ricky tazzioti ''Ultra'' simmilar film
----

apos;'
[image]
10.02.2012 - 01:24
albinoman
I loved American history X, but have never heard of This Is england. I'll check it out sometime.
11.02.2012 - 18:57
Sophist
The fat kid in This is England grew to my heart, the film is really well done, but I enjoyed watching American History X a bit more.
11.02.2012 - 21:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
I can't say which I like more, both are great films.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
09.04.2012 - 09:37
The Turbanator
This Is England (the film and the series) shits all over American History X. I feel AHX is a little bit overrated.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
27.04.2012 - 12:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
New film will be out in same level like thouse
White Coulor Hooligan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Hfjas10Ws&feature=player_embedded
----

apos;'
[image]