Streben - Wild Enchanted Gardens review

Reviewer:
Band: Streben
Album: Wild Enchanted Gardens
Style: Black metal
Release date: December 2009

01. Embrace Of Nostalgia
02. Aesthetic Faintness
03. Wild Enchanted Gardens (Where Daylight Dwells)
04. Painfully Seduced (By A Truthful Reverie)
05. Delyrium Lies At The Core Of Wisdom
06. Soul Poetry

Streben belong to the rare breed of Black metal bands that feature women in their line-up. Yeah, there's of course LSK of Secrets Of The Moon and others, and there are the Care bearssss of Astarte, but that's about it. Streben now joins them and Cristina Hagalaz, the woman in question, is not your average "the-real-reason-i'm-on-stage-is-because-i-have-boobies" female musician. No, she took care of the vocals, bass, synthesizers, song writing and lyrics on Wild Enchanted Gardens. Pretty cool huh?

I bet all you male pigs out there (myself included) expect some romantically-themed, sugary-styled half-assed attempt at Black metal, right? Well, you couldn't be further from the truth. Yeah, there are a few 'soft' nature/organic influences, but Miss Hagalaz is certainly no barbiegirl. Her shrieks are so raw they'd make Nattramn ( Silencer go insane... oh wait. My bad, Mr. Axewielder. Anyway, they're pretty hoarse and croaked, even slightly over-the-top extreme. But you'll get used to them. The riffs are often a light and airy version of Depressive Black metal, which work quite well with the lightly-dosed synthesizers. Streben knows how not to overdo it. As for the production... Wild Enchanted Gardens is a very raw release in terms of sound and production. It never bothers though, as we're used to quite a bit and it suits the essence of the music pretty well.

Once again, the over-the-top croaks may prove to be a bit of an issue the first few plays, but everything else is quite decent. It's not terrible original or unique, but it's good for a debut. Let's see if Miss Hagalaz can up the ante on a possible follow-up. And if we can finally get a few more women in our sausagefest-genre...

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 6

Written on 04.02.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 81 users
04.02.2010 - 11:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Hm, once again the album cover pulled me into one of your reviews, Lucas. Although by your description it sounds pretty decent, I gotta say that has to be possibly the gayest album cover I have ever seen.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.02.2010 - 11:52
silenius

Written by Doc G. on 04.02.2010 at 11:42

Hm, once again the album cover pulled me into one of your reviews, Lucas. Although by your description it sounds pretty decent, I gotta say that has to be possibly the gayest album cover I have ever seen.

agreed, that cover screams''gaypop´´ not blackmetal^^
04.02.2010 - 11:54
silenius

And god i hate her vocals, sounds like a cat being chocked to death by a deranged 5-year old. Laughed my as off when i heard it^^
04.02.2010 - 14:08
BudDa

Written by Doc G. on 04.02.2010 at 11:42

What?! theres nothing wrong with the album cover! It actually looks..erm...(lemme get back to you on that)
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
04.02.2010 - 17:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The music wasn't bad but the vocals totally ruined it. They sucked hard.

I think that Lucas was a bit too kind. I'll give it a 6,0 - 6,5

I really like the artwork though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.02.2010 - 10:01
Jeeers

I agree about artwork - I like it.

But voice .....
05.02.2010 - 10:01