12. Set This World On Fire [Live at Masters of Rock 2009]
13. All I Want [Live at Masters of Rock 2009]
14. Carved In Stone [Live in Sofia 2009]
15. Never Give Up [Rage Race Special]

Heavy metal
Nuclear Blast
Germany
Length: 55:00

Rage are back with their fruitiest album since Soundchaser. Strings To A Web is a much more relaxed, fun and overall enjoyable album than the band's previous album Carved In Stone, which was much more to-the-point and no nonsense.

The band have found their flair once more and are back to terrorize your ears with some sugary, manly, heavy metal. In truth Strings To A Web is a melodic metal album that visits traditional heavy metal, power metal and also touches on the progressive for a few moments.

All the Rage hallmarks are present. The three-piece have crafted another quality album with its catchy choruses such as the great "Into The Light" and "Hellgirl", lots of heavier moments, and the pleasant surprise of the slightly progressive interlude in the middle of the "Empty Hollow" song. These three majestic short songs in here show a different side to Rage they really should show off more often.

This is Rage in great form, and this is a memorable album, but apart from being an above average Rage album, no barriers are broken down here. Those familiar with Rage will probably have an idea of just how Strings To A Web sounds. Although the music is good, this band just seem to be one of those that never seem to evolve too far away from their core sound.

Either way, the band appears to be in a much lighter mood than the last album, and this makes for enjoyable listening. These Germans have constructed an album to be proud of, and an album that will stick out as one of the best and most accessible of all the staggering twenty the band now have to their name. A great album worth your time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 05.02.2010 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 252 users
06.02.2010 - 00:08
wrathchild

Have you watched the DVD?
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
06.02.2010 - 00:13
Baz Anderson

Written by wrathchild on 06.02.2010 at 00:08

Have you watched the DVD?

I didn't get it from the label. But I was there at Wacken, so in a way I did watch it.
Have a look here:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/gallery/gallery.php?gallery_id=229#set1363
06.02.2010 - 03:13
Richard

Seems promising. I'll definitely check this new album out, as I really like this band, and your review suggests that Rage fans won't be disappointed.

There seems to be some good live songs featured on the bonus DVD, too... But really it's the new material I'm most keen to listen to. Peavy has such a great sense of vocal melody.
----
06.02.2010 - 11:49
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
This is definately stuff, which I wanted to hear on Carved In Stone.
STAW is very solid and refreshing stuff

Wanna listen real power metal, not some flower from freedom call? You have to check this album
06.02.2010 - 13:31
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I thought it's considerably better than Freedom Call's "Legend of the Shadowking"
----
loves 小巫
06.02.2010 - 14:06
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 06.02.2010 at 13:31

I thought it's considerably better than Freedom Call's "Legend of the Shadowking"

Me too.

Unfortunately some people are thinking otherwise This just isn't only a matter of taste in this case.
06.02.2010 - 14:10
Baz Anderson

Written by Guest on 06.02.2010 at 14:06

Unfortunately some people are thinking otherwise This just isn't only a matter of taste in this case.

Haha, so please enlighten me as to what it is, if not a case of subjective, personal taste...
06.02.2010 - 15:41
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Mmmm
Rationality
07.02.2010 - 01:00
Rating: 5
Jeeers

Uffff... boring album this one is...........
07.02.2010 - 06:37
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, another year, another Rage album... fans of the band are surely masturbating right now, well, they have lots of material to do so.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
07.02.2010 - 13:22
Rating: 9
RafaRata

The album is an 8.8 for me.
09.02.2010 - 09:33
cj246

I thought this was a really good album! It's nice power metal with delicious riffs and such, but I especially love how they sneak in elements of prog... This is great material. Here's my full review:

http://thegoldenbird.wordpress.com/2010/02/06/rage-strings-to-a-web-review/
----
http://thegoldenbird.wordpress.com/
11.02.2010 - 00:46
Rating: 4
Donnie Darko

I dont like ths album either its so boring and plain i didnt enjoy it
17.02.2010 - 20:52
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Never heard of this band until yesterday....listened to this album and its great!

power metal with balls...and great choruses
20.02.2010 - 20:14
MeTalRea|istiK

WTF!!is this their 20th album??what!!

Hits total: 9277 | This month: 13