Metal Storm logo
Any tip for a beginner on guitar?

09.02.2010 - 22:21
FeskarN

For quite some time I have wanted to play guitar but never really take the step to begin. So I just wonder if you got any tip for starting playing guitar.

Here are some questions I have:

What kind of guitar I should get

Easy songs to play on both electric guitar and/or acoustic guitar
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
09.02.2010 - 22:34
soadbyob
Account deleted
Don't really know too many begineer guitars, just DONT get a first act!

As for easy songs: smoke on the water (of course) or metal health are easy
09.02.2010 - 22:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Get a decent guitar(DO NOT BUY PACKS), something like a Jackson JS20 or an Ibanez SA160, or any decent-looking guitar with at least one humbucker and NO floyd rose tremolo(regardless of what the vendors tell you it will not stay in tune), then you should learn how to tune a guitar, how to play using your computer as the "amp", and last but not least learn FULL SONGS, not every little intro/riff out there or you'll be stuck at the same level for months.

i am not shitting you, this is experience talking here on all 4 points.

easy electric songs:
judas priest - breaking the law
hammerfall - stone cold(the pre-chorus section is only a little bit difficult for a layman but i'm sure you'll handle it)
in flames - only for the weak(rhythm guitar part - easy as hell)
iron maiden - powerslave(rhythm guitar part - not extremely easy but it's pretty good)
metallica - for whom the bell tolls(great great exercise, it's pretty much a musical exercise for a guitar layman)

as an easy acoustic song i could recommend you in flames - acoustic medley(most of it is brain-numbingly easy)
10.02.2010 - 16:51
FeskarN

Written by Valentin B on 09.02.2010 at 22:50

Get a decent guitar(DO NOT BUY PACKS)

Thx for all advice and tip. But why shouldnt I buy a guitar pack? Found these two for example: http://www.musikborsen.se/itempg.aspx?id=6939&artno=235638 and http://www.musikborsen.se/itempg.aspx?id=14994&artno=236855 And they are really cheap.
----
10.02.2010 - 17:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by FeskarN on 10.02.2010 at 16:51

Get a decent guitar(DO NOT BUY PACKS)

Thx for all advice and tip. But why shouldnt I buy a guitar pack? Found these two for example: http://www.musikborsen.se/itempg.aspx?id=6939&artno=235638 and http://www.musikborsen.se/itempg.aspx?id=14994&artno=236855 And they are really cheap.

because while you could use the strap and the gigbag, you don't really need an amp or something just yet. these guitars are most of the times pretty bad even for their price, and the cables, picks, tuners and shit are bad too. it's all just marketing, they want to make you piss your pants when you read "everything you need to rock out!!!"

check these out:

http://www.thomann.de/se/bc_rich_virgin_vg1.htm

http://www.thomann.de/se/dean_guitars_vx_cb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_rga32mol.htm

http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_gothic_g400.htm - i have one of these and they work really well

http://www.thomann.de/se/luna_guitars_neo_wh.htm

http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_lpstudioeb.htm
11.02.2010 - 02:08
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 09.02.2010 at 22:34
Don't really know too many begineer guitars, just DONT get a first act!
Wha?

Lol, my first electric was a package with a Jackson JS20 About $700 NZ... maybe 500 American, probably a bit less in your country, coming with a 15W Marshall amp, strap, pick, gig bag (which I did use to transport to school and friends' houses and stuff) and... maybe a below-average lead. Replacements around $20... estimate US$15. The rest was pretty decent.

Very much agree, avoid the Floyd Rose, for now, at least. I would also mention to stay away from 7-strings atm.

Do you like Can I Play with Madness? You could probably learn that and some/most of NOTB fairly easily. I might be able to tab out BNW if you wanted (or you could probably find it online, I just haven't looked for that album myself). Tab is very useful and should be easy enough to figure out if you follow it while listening to the song and trying to play it at the same time (pause and rewind buttons being very handy of course).

Other little bits you could work on this early might include The Clairvoyant, Wasted Years... maybe some Dark Tranq. Although... I have a feeling they (and some of your other fav bands) use tunings other than E so you might have to hold off on them for a while.

Oh yes... get very used to tuning by ensuring your strings match certain notes of your favourite songs. That's what I did... open E goes with Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and most of their other stuff, as do Iron Maiden's Wrathchild and Killers, A kicks off Seek and Destroy, Skin o' My Teeth and 2 Minutes to Midnight, D for the start of The Call of Ktulu, G is heard as the second note of Jethro Tull's Aqualung and all through Eric Johnson's instrumental Cliffs of Dover (awesome solo, find it anywhere you can), and B can be heard at the start of One and Fade to Black. Then you can always use the 5 5 5 4 5 trick (fret numbers) to tune the higher strings, starting with the one with the lowest pitch. (> > Ignore this bit 'til after absorbing most of the above > >) Eventually, learn to match higher up strings with harmonics on the lower strings. (Without pressing down onto the fretboard, hold a finger of your fretting hand over the 12th fret on the thickest string while playing it with your picking hand (they do this on the thin strings following the first note of Welcome Home). Then move to the 5th fret on the same string and do the same thing, and that should sound the same as the thinnest string being played open.)

edit - hmm, I just noticed BNW is the only album that we both own. Lemme know if you would like the above written in terms of that album

One last addition - earlier I said to follow along with tab while playing the song. It may or may not go without saying that playing to the speed of a recording is not as important as understanding how the tune is represented in the tab or having all the notes you play sound CLEARLY. Don't be scared to slow down if required
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
15.02.2010 - 15:53
FeskarN

Thx for the tip and advice! I have just started to play with the acoustic guitar to just see how it goes. Anyone got any suggestions for acoustic songs that are easy to play for a newbie?

Edit: Just downloaded Guitar Pro 5. Works fine until I play a song. When there is no audio - just silence. Maybe I got wrong settings or something like that. The song I downloaded was "Svart Djup" by Finntroll. It can be found here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/f/finntroll/svart_djup_guitar_pro.htm
----
15.02.2010 - 22:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by FeskarN on 15.02.2010 at 15:53

Thx for the tip and advice! I have just started to play with the acoustic guitar to just see how it goes. Anyone got any suggestions for acoustic songs that are easy to play for a newbie?

House of the Rising sun- A folk song without a known origional author, but it was popularized by The Animals in 64. It's only a four chord song, it's pretty easy and one of the first I learned how to play.
Wish you were here- Pink Floyd. It's an easy, catchy song. Once more you only need to know a few chords
Stairway to heaven- Led Zepplin. This too was one of the first songs I learned to play accoustically. You just have to learn a little bit about fingerpicking and you'll be set.

If you want a good website to go to for guitar instruction, I first discovered this guy on youtube. Just go to www.justinguitar.com and he's got alot of stuff for beginner or intermediate practice. He had to take down his tab/sheet music section but if you just follow him step by step he should be able to get you set. And here's a link by him for house of the rising sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9dyAQLYybU
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.02.2010 - 15:21
Raiden
Down Under Staff
This all seems pretty tricky to me

Actually my friend's brother is quite good on guitar (and bass and acoustic), but I know almost nothing about playing them. Even all of this lingo is going over my head haha. I would like to learn to play it one day. Does it take long if you practise an hour or so a day to get somewhat alright?
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
17.02.2010 - 03:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Raiden on 16.02.2010 at 15:21

Actually my friend's brother is quite good on guitar (and bass and acoustic), but I know almost nothing about playing them. Even all of this lingo is going over my head haha. I would like to learn to play it one day. Does it take long if you practise an hour or so a day to get somewhat alright?

Well, that depends on how you learn, but for the most part if you practice for an hour a day then you'll be pretty good. For alot of beginners it's suggested to practice for a half hour a day so by playing for an hour your exceeding the minimal expectation.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

17.02.2010 - 16:23
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.02.2010 at 03:10

Written by Raiden on 16.02.2010 at 15:21

Well, that depends on how you learn, but for the most part if you practice for an hour a day then you'll be pretty good. For alot of beginners it's suggested to practice for a half hour a day so by playing for an hour your exceeding the minimal expectation.

Ahh right, that's interesting to know. If I do someday pick up a guitar to learn, I'll be sure to pester you guys with noob questions
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
18.02.2010 - 13:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema

Get a decent guitar(DO NOT BUY PACKS), something like a Jackson JS20 or an Ibanez SA160, or any decent-looking guitar with at least one humbucker and NO floyd rose tremolo(regardless of what the vendors tell you it will not stay in tune), then you should learn how to tune a guitar, how to play using your computer as the "amp", and last but not least learn FULL SONGS, not every little intro/riff out there or you'll be stuck at the same level for months.

i am not shitting you, this is experience talking here on all 4 points.

easy electric songs:
judas priest - breaking the law
hammerfall - stone cold(the pre-chorus section is only a little bit difficult for a layman but i'm sure you'll handle it)
in flames - only for the weak(rhythm guitar part - easy as hell)
iron maiden - powerslave(rhythm guitar part - not extremely easy but it's pretty good)
metallica - for whom the bell tolls(great great exercise, it's pretty much a musical exercise for a guitar layman)

as an easy acoustic song i could recommend you in flames - acoustic medley(most of it is brain-numbingly easy)

I think this post was very useful. The songs you suggested are pretty easy and once you nail them you should be able to take it to the next nevel. And as simple as they are, they're fun to play. Actually Metallica songs were the first I learnt and it worked out pretty well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.02.2010 - 04:28
whatsacow

LEARN YOUR THEORY! i cannot stress this enough. scales and modes.
Practicing your modes builds up speed in all different positions as well
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
20.02.2010 - 18:04
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by whatsacow on 19.02.2010 at 04:28

Well while that might be true modal theory is something that might be just a liiitle bit too hard for a guitar newbie. You're right about the scales, but he would also need to work on triads, intervals, sight reading, Diatonics etc.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.02.2010 - 01:39
whatsacow

Quote:
Well while that might be true modal theory is something that might be just a liiitle bit too hard for a guitar newbie. You're right about the scales, but he would also need to work on triads, intervals, sight reading, Diatonics etc.

True. Well, m ultimate suggestion would be to get into the habit of alternate picking from the very start. Although it may be difficult when you're starting, its an absolute bitch of a problem to iron out later.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
28.02.2010 - 01:51
13Footlevel

My advice for you is to set a short term goal in your introduction into the reward able world of electric Guitar,,

First and Foremost!! Reflect on your current hero's of the industry and go with That.. Learn the songs you want to learn. Even if it is way out of a beginners league, Learning what is influential to you is Fun. At first what you play may not sound like what your favorite guitar player is doing, but that's OK. Eventually you will discover the Techniques involved. Just keep it Fun and Fresh. Don't pressure yourself quite yet.
If you want lessons, Find a teacher who is into the same music as you. This person does not have to be a "Virtuoso" Just someone who is decent in the form of music you want to play.

Eventually if you get this far.. It's up to you to decide were to go with the other aspects such as theory. Just keep it Fun.

As far as your first Axe & Amp.. It doesnt matter, your just testing the waters at this point.

Keep in mind The original drummer of Sepultura.. Igor Cavalera learned on Pots And Pans because in Brazil at the time, he was Poor.. He kept it real and eventually found a way to become a very influential Drummer.
28.02.2010 - 03:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Perseverance! I think that is the key word for any guitar beginner. Especially if you're self taught.

I cant count the amount of times I came close to giving up when I first started playing. The sore, blistered & bleeding fingers, the frustration at not being able to play even the simplest things...then one day, it all just seemed to click, and I started playing along with a song and my playing started sounding like what I was trying to play. (which incidentally was "Only" by Anthrax. Another great choice for guitar beginners. Although the first riff I ever learned was "Enter Sandman".) The immense sense of achievement I got from that made all the previous pains and frustrations totally worth it. I think so many people give up playing in the initial months because of the stuff Ive been describing. I think it was purely my sheer passion for music and the instrument that made me continue to perservere with it. And Im so glad I did! lol
01.03.2010 - 20:21
Zidar

Written by Arian Totalis on 20.02.2010 at 18:04

I disagree. If you start learning music theory from the time you begin playing then as time goes by it becomes 2nd nature. I made the mistake of learning off tabs for the first year or so and when it came to learning theory I was struggling greatly for months.

The only thing I suggest is not to dig farther into theory than you need for the skill level you are at. Since you're a newbie I would suggest learning some basic diatonic scales (A minor or C Major) would be the simplest of them.
02.03.2010 - 01:56
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Zidar on 01.03.2010 at 20:21

I disagree. If you start learning music theory from the time you begin playing then as time goes by it becomes 2nd nature. I made the mistake of learning off tabs for the first year or so and when it came to learning theory I was struggling greatly for months.

The only thing I suggest is not to dig farther into theory than you need for the skill level you are at. Since you're a newbie I would suggest learning some basic diatonic scales (A minor or C Major) would be the simplest of them.

How do you disaree? Accoding to your post, you agree with everything I said

Basically, I stressed the importants of theory and warned not to just jump into modes just yet.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.03.2010 - 04:33
Forged Soul
Music Theory Bot
Play what you love, love what you play. Take lessons, learn songs (tabs if necessary), explore the instrument inside and out. Just put your time in, and it'll work out. The most important thing is, JUST PLAY!!!

Go to a music store, play as many as you can, and get the one that feels the best and you enjoy the most, that way you'll always be more motivated to play it. As far as songs, again. Play what you like, but bands like ACDC, sabbath, etc have stuff you can wrap your mind around.

Any questions, just continue to ask!
----
You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream
-Frank Zappa

There are no trolls in my ivory tower!
02.03.2010 - 04:44
whatsacow

Written by Arian Totalis on 02.03.2010 at 01:56

Written by Zidar on 01.03.2010 at 20:21

How do you disaree? Accoding to your post, you agree with everything I said

Basically, I stressed the importants of theory and warned not to just jump into modes just yet.

lol, yeah, you did just completely contradic yourself.
----
02.03.2010 - 06:01
Zidar

Damn.. first time I read that post I thought you were saying that it's too hard for beginners to learn theory..

Wow, now I feel like an idiot.