04. Unholy Terror
05. Charisma
06. Who Slayed Baby Jane?
07. Euphoria
08. Raven Heart
09. Evermore
10. Wasted White Boys
11. Hate To Love Me [Karaoke version] [Japanese bonus]

After the disappointing "Helldorado" and the even worse "The Sting," W.A.S.P. graces us with a new album. Perhaps unexpectedly, the compositions are more varied and the lyrics are more thoughtful, owing more to "The Headless Children" than to the band's earlier material. This is especially evident on the album's ballad "Evermore" and the second instrumental of the band's career "Euphoria." The liner notes actually call "Evermore" a "Forever Free" reprise of sorts and while the latter song exudes the same feeling of longing and nostalgia as the former, it is a great composition unto itself. Those that do happen to have enjoyed "Helldorado" will be happy to have songs like "Who Slayed Baby Jane," "Raven Heart," and "Hate To Love Me" while people that disliked "Helldorado" will be happy to find out that the presentation of said songs is far more appealing.

But the album's highlight is "Charisma," a grinding mid-paced rocker with a dark and sinister atmosphere. Not that the lyrics are about Satan, that would be too crude; instead the lyrics describe a preconceived notion of many notorious persons and organisations. In particular the criticism of the organised religion is a prevalent theme throughout "Unholy Terror" which Lawless would continue to explore on subsequent albums.

Overall the individual songs range from generally satisfactory to outstanding, yet the album falls short of being a classic. The "Helldorado"-influenced tracks sit a bit uncomfortably next to the rest of the album. Additionally, Lawless' compositions, which had been constantly changing and evolving up to "Kill, Fuck, Die," now seem to look more backward than forward. W.A.S.P. fans will likely not mind and W.A.S.P. newbies will likely not notice.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by DayFly | 12.10.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 36 users
12.02.2010 - 14:41
Rating: 6
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Either not disappointing, either not very interesting...i have an original of this cd btw
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.08.2016 - 02:11
Rating: 9
Iceland_Norway

This an amazing album. W.A.S.P. is my fave band ever.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir

Hits total: 8388 | This month: 24