02. Sentenced
03. Paper Dolls
04. Homeless On The World Of Solus
05. Doomed
06. Scream In The Darkness
07. Solitude
08. Within My Dreams
09. Holy Faces

I'll tell you something, just between the two of us. Reviews written on valentine's day don't need to have the slightest connection to romance. Judging by the music I don't think the Laments Of Silence guys are all too romantic anyway. One moment, let me restart this? *Brain completed power-on self-test. Mind now booting from operating system*

Ok, here I am again, so where was I? Ah yes death metal. Well - this is between the two of us again - death metal can be pretty lame. Huge amounts of DM bands sound absolutely the same, leading to the conclusion that most of them just aren't worth listening to. But as every tale has two sides, death metal has a couple of bands willing to redeem the style.

While it's definitely not everyone's kind of thing, Restart Your Mind is in my opinion one of the most outstanding albums of this style that I've heard since a while. This is modern and complex, yet precise and well structured. The band uses a keyboard on a lot of the songs and regularly employs clean singing. Make no mistake though, this is extreme metal. The drums are pounding full-speed ahead for most of the album and the main vocals consist of good and heavy growling. Speed, aggression and melody; that's what this band's all about.

Let me make this clear. Oldschool death metal purists are likely to hate this. If you are one, don't bother. Laments Of Silence play death metal for those who want/need something fresh and exciting. They take straightforward heaviness to a more complex and varied level - without going over the top - and add a layer of melodic beauty on the way.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 14.02.2010

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 175 users
14.02.2010 - 17:46
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I'm sold
----
loves 小巫
14.02.2010 - 18:21
Rupert

Same.
14.02.2010 - 20:52
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Same here. Very nice review Bas. I listened to the samples from their Myspace and Im convinced.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
14.02.2010 - 21:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Download their 2006 sophomore album Reset for free!*

*band-sanctioned via MySpace/GigaSize

Great review, very well written and articulate; it convinced me enough to grab that release for free and I'm going to check out this new one as soon as it comes out.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.02.2010 - 23:05
Fat & Sassy!

The name of this album is pretty awful, but I'll probably check it out regardless.
15.02.2010 - 04:15
kurotenshi

I have to say this is a REALLY NICE try, but I bet they can do better. For instance, the chorus on scream in the darkness kind of makes the song loose power. Overall it's a great album.
Oh and, as a side note some one tell their drummer hit who ever recorded him because that kick is just AWFUL.
15.02.2010 - 20:03
Kinzoku

On my fourth listen, not bad.
16.02.2010 - 01:12
Bas
Retired Staff
Thanks for the comments everyone, nice to hear that most of you enjoy the band as much as I did
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
20.03.2010 - 10:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm curious too, I'm always sold when someone says "modern and complex".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.05.2010 - 02:47
Ag Fox
Angel No More
From the snippets on myspace, I knew I would like them, but I'm listening to the album as a whole now and they are absolutely great! Could have labelled them as melodic death metal rather than death metal though (or even Gothic).

Thanks for the review (=
----
loves 小巫
21.05.2010 - 09:51
Mikyz

Written by Ag Fox on 21.05.2010 at 02:47

From the snippets on myspace, I knew I would like them, but I'm listening to the album as a whole now and they are absolutely great! Could have labelled them as melodic death metal rather than death metal though (or even Gothic).

Thanks for the review (=

I agreed this is more like a successfull attempt at Modern Melodic Death Metal, usually I don't find "Modern" Metal to be very appealing but this along with Mandatory's Carbon Black caught my attention. Mandatory is more like Modern Progressive Thrash, so I think you might enjoy it.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
22.05.2010 - 04:58
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Mikyz on 21.05.2010 at 09:51

Written by Ag Fox on 21.05.2010 at 02:47

Thanks for the review (=

I agreed this is more like a successfull attempt at Modern Melodic Death Metal, usually I don't find "Modern" Metal to be very appealing but this along with Mandatory's Carbon Black caught my attention. Mandatory is more like Modern Progressive Thrash, so I think you might enjoy it.
ah yes, it definitely has that "Modern" touch to it, but avoids the pitfalls of that genre which so many bands fall into. Somehow, they sound like they've got more of an identity and not too simple, but without losing the ability to write some catchy stuff.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm listening to the album right now and initial impressions are pretty good (though I think I'll end up still like "Restart your mind" more). Seems like I was expecting something heavier, but I seem to be getting used to them more now and as the album progresses, I feel more into their music
----
loves 小巫
04.11.2010 - 22:10
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Great review, I had high expectations, but in the end, I didn't like it
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"

Hits total: 7428 | This month: 8