Metal Storm logo
Best Female fronted band of metal

Original post

Posted by ToMegaTherion, 16.02.2010 - 00:29
Ok Im just curious to see what people have to say. On this because there is an ever increasing number of them and quite a few very average ones out there but which are your favorites (Why?), and what are some bands you might recommend.

Not this is a list that could get pretty long if I let it so we will try to keep it brief.

Please don't just come into this thread and just say something like "Nightwish!!!!!!!!!!!!". Give us a reason for why you have made this choice.
No point in a poll for this because there will be so many different choices.

Ok here are some favorites of mine
Epica (These guys are really an awesome band. Where or not they are female fronted they are a band you could thouroughly enjoy without the singing, but Simone Simons is an outstand singer that seems to be getting better with age.)

The Gathering (I strongly prefer these guys where they were fronted by Anneke van Giersbergen, but whatever, these guys have made some outstanding albums that hold up against the best of all time, plus Anneke is a great singer.)

Edenbridge (Its hard to believe but this was the first female fronted band I ever heard, and much to my suprise I found them quite enjoyable Sabine has a rather different voice, but she really improved on the later Edenbridge albums as she got more experience. But the main reason I really like these guys is for Lanvall's guiter work, it is truely outstanding, he is a rather underrated guitarest.)

Leaves Eyes (Liv Kristien has an unbelieveable voice, plus the band makes really good music to go with it. The lyrics are often pretty bizarre but nevertheless a band well worth a mention.)
10.04.2012 - 11:46
Infernal Eternal

I liked the Gathering because of Anneke.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.06.2012 - 13:22
Aristarchos

Jex Thoth! They have a cool leader, who's not trying to be cute and not trying to be angry, just being cool. They also play great Sabbath-influenced music, but with their own touch.
09.07.2012 - 05:24
helofloki

Fuck the Facts! She's a real badass. There are some great female vocalists in metal, but just like with melodic metal the line between cheese and awesome is so fine.
08.08.2012 - 16:35
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 30.05.2011 at 22:28

They are not so much a metal band but they have metal elements. Julie from Made out of Babies. Some of her side projects are amazing.

You might like this one. It's basically MOoB after Julie got kicked out.
http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-bad-powers-new-band-featuring-34ths-made-out-babies
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
08.08.2012 - 17:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
^Julie has done some great material metal-wise, Battle Of Mice's "A Day Of Nights" is one of the best female fronted albums I've ever heard. Thanks for the update btw Spirit.
12.08.2012 - 00:13
Misfit74

Abnormality

13.08.2012 - 17:37
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Misfit74 on 12.08.2012 at 00:13

Abnormality

Not that bad of a band. Honestly though I don't like the vocals. Feels like she is forcing them at a low tone. You wouldn't be able to hear it unless that Mic is right up to that mouth. It's cool to have a semi good looking chick up there but I personally don't think she's up to par.
13.08.2012 - 18:50
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yesterday I checked the bands that participate on this year's Metal Female Voices Fest and they were all damn generic except one or two.
I remember this band Dimlight was quite charming.
14.08.2012 - 05:00
Jackson

My picks would be Blood Ceremony or Warlock. Doro opened the door for women in heavy metal.
13.02.2014 - 06:38
extremeidaho

Hellion. Old school.
13.02.2014 - 22:53
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I don't have a favourite female fronted band anymore. All the bands with women who possesed the best vocal abilities for my taste has either; a) disbanded; b) changed the vocalist or c) went downhill with their music.

I'd go for old Theatre of Tragedy (with Liv), old Tristania (with Vibeke, though technically she wasn't the lead vocalist as they had three), After Forever (who had some releases I came not to be too keen of) and The Gathering (considering them back in the era, when they were still metal). As for vocalists, Floor Jansen and Anneke van Giersbergen are my top choices, but ReVamp/Nightwish are not particularly in my interest and Giersbergen went totally out of metal with her solo career.

As for extreme vocalists, I just hadn't found a band to my liking with a female growler. It's not that I don't like it or anything, it's just that all my favourite bands with extreme vocalists have males on vocals. So be it.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.