02. Simian Cattle
03. Orphans Of Living
04. Jupiter To Ignite
05. Sovereigns Unknown
06. Skyless
07. Faith Puppeteers
08. Brimstone Landscapes
09. Oversee The Rebirth

Let me start by saying this is an incredibly difficult review to write. I love the Canadian death metal sound, I enjoy progressive elements in my death metal, and I appreciate an album with production values that clearly focus on preventing the bass from falling into obscurity. Fragmentary Evidence has all of these qualities, but something seems amiss. Allow me to explain.

After the release of their debut, Concealed, Canadian tech-death newcomers Augury were being compared to established outfits like Quo Vadis, Cynic, Neuraxis, and even Opeth to a lesser extent. This review is not a debate on whether or not Augury deserved such praise, though something has to be said for a band that draws such comparisons.

The only comparison I find relevant is that of the bass work on Fragmentary Evidence, which is similar to Obscura's Cosmogenesis: it's more than audible, in fact it's very high in the mix, and it is played extremely well by original member Dominic "Forest" Lapointe. And not only is the bass played well, but every instrument packs its own punch. Tracks like "Skyless" and "Orphans Of Living" are showcases for the band members' talent, especially former drummer Antoine Baril, who is incredibly varied and chooses not to rely on pure speed and aggression, but rhythm, which gives the guitars an added melody boost, not that this album lacked melody in the first place.

Moving away from instruments, let me draw your eye to the several skilled guest musicians (all of whom provide their vocal talent), ranging from Aborted frontman Sven de Caluwé ("Aetheral") to Unexpect members Syriak and Leilindel ("Sovereigns Unknown", "Brimstone Landscapes"). All of the guests provide their own style, and accordingly, each song they appear on is vastly different from the rest. Remembering what I said about Lapointe and Baril, this album is taken care of technically, but there is a major problem once the entire album has played out. With each song sounding so different, it creates a weak point in the album, as it seems to be diluted in terms of its concept. To elaborate, this album is presented as if displaying 9 individual tracks on their own, something normally reserved for a compilation album, where the 9 tracks would be the best 9 songs released over the course of a few albums. An album requires flow, a beginning, middle, and end, much like your average essay. Unfortunately, Fragmentary Evidence comes across as a jumpy piece with masterful moments.

This isn't necessarily a sophomore slump, as it contains some of the strongest songs composed by the band; however, these songs should have been divided over different albums altogether. Perhaps the guest vocalists felt compelled to add their own touches to their feature tracks. Perhaps the original band members began writing without a sense of direction. Whichever the cause, Fragmentary Evidence is but a shadow of the band's debut success.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Troy Killjoy | 15.02.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 132 users
16.02.2010 - 12:41
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Weird rating. I listened to this album maaaany times, and I couldn't get into it. Maybe it's because the songs don't sound "connected" indeed. I am going to give it a try again today. I kinda understand where you are coming from with your rating, but still it looks rather weird.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.02.2010 - 13:02
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I need to refresh my memory with this again, but I remember thinking that it's alright. The newest Gorod album is much better though.
16.02.2010 - 18:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by K✞ulu on 16.02.2010 at 12:41

Weird rating. I listened to this album maaaany time, and I couldn't get into it. Maybe it's because the songs don't sound "connected" indeed. I am going to give it a try again today. I kinda understand where you are coming from with your rating, but still it looks rather weird.

I found it weird myself, and I even wrote a list of reasons behind the rating in the comments when I submitted the review. It's like...each song on its own is stellar, but as an album it doesn't gel and sounds too chaotic. Thankfully someone understands my rating concept a bit; I was worried people would start flaming because the overall rating doesn't "equal" the subcategory ratings.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.02.2010 - 18:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Dangerboner on 16.02.2010 at 13:02

I need to refresh my memory with this again, but I remember thinking that it's alright. The newest Gorod album is much better though.

It is all right, but in my opinion nothing more. I initially voted for Gorod in the MS Awards, but changed my vote to FA's Oracles.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.02.2010 - 02:36
kurotenshi

The production is really good if you ignore the boomy vocal that just blurs the instrumental... 'cause when the vocal goes higher it sounds amazing.
As far as compositions goes I kind of found the songs a bit repetitive, I like my death more dynamic.
27.02.2010 - 02:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by kurotenshi on 27.02.2010 at 02:36

The production is really good if you ignore the boomy vocal that just blurs the instrumental... 'cause when the vocal goes higher it sounds amazing.
As far as compositions goes I kind of found the songs a bit repetitive, I like my death more dynamic.

To be honest that's one of the most significant flaws on this album, when the vocals supersede the music. I love the drums, the bass, the guitar work... But the vocals (including most of the guests) just annoyed me being so high in the mix at times.
----
04.03.2010 - 08:44
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Your review doesn't describe the album well and I find it a bit weak to base your whole judgment of the record on the flow of the songs. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion but I would just like to point it out there that this is one of the better tech. death albums to have been released last year. Not only is the excellent songwriting displayed but it is catchy as well as ambitious and above that Augury manages to sound heavy. I don't like repeating myself but too many bands of this subgenre sound flat and have no punch. One more point, the variety on this album is why it is interesting... I rather be taken by surprise by music than having it follow "protocol".

Forget Obscura and Gorod's new albums, this is the one you want to be listening to.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
04.03.2010 - 11:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Visioneerie on 04.03.2010 at 08:44

Your review doesn't describe the album well and I find it a bit weak to base your whole judgment of the record on the flow of the songs. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion but I would just like to point it out there that this is one of the better tech. death albums to have been released last year. Not only is the excellent songwriting displayed but it is catchy as well as ambitious and above that Augury manages to sound heavy. I don't like repeating myself but too many bands of this subgenre sound flat and have no punch. One more point, the variety on this album is why it is interesting... I rather be taken by surprise by music than having it follow "protocol".

Forget Obscura and Gorod's new albums, this is the one you want to be listening to.

Quote:

Unfortunately, Fragmentary Evidence comes across as a jumpy piece with masterful moments.

This basically sums up the album for both of us: where I think it sounds too jumpy, rendering it incomplete as a result of a lack of flow, you find it amazing as it is unpredictable and fresh. I agree this wasn't my best attempt at describing the music on the album in particular, I was just so confused as how to rate it that I spent most of the review backing up my reasoning. Thanks for your input.

PS- I'll take Cosmogenesis, Process Of A New Decline, Oracles, Those Whom The Gods Detest and even Of Winter Born over this album. People who view the album like you, however, are best to follow your advice and stick with this release.
----
06.03.2010 - 07:57
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2010 at 11:14

Written by Visioneerie on 04.03.2010 at 08:44

Quote:

Unfortunately, Fragmentary Evidence comes across as a jumpy piece with masterful moments.

This basically sums up the album for both of us: where I think it sounds too jumpy, rendering it incomplete as a result of a lack of flow, you find it amazing as it is unpredictable and fresh. I agree this wasn't my best attempt at describing the music on the album in particular, I was just so confused as how to rate it that I spent most of the review backing up my reasoning. Thanks for your input.

PS- I'll take Cosmogenesis, Process Of A New Decline, Oracles, Those Whom The Gods Detest and even Of Winter Born over this album. People who view the album like you, however, are best to follow your advice and stick with this release.

Don't get me wrong, predictable albums can be good, though I find that tech. death is getting TOO predictable nowadays. I thought that Gorod's new album was a notch down from their previous as they put more of their energy into the intricate leads and lost focus on the awesome rythmic/groovy passages which was a staple for them on Leading Vision. Anyways, that's another topic.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
17.01.2011 - 21:27
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Thats why it sounds like aborted.... sven's there! love this album
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 4902 | This month: 6