07. The Heretic Hammer [North American bonus]
08. The Sinister Awakening
09. The Fundamental Alienation
10. The Invaluable Darkness
11. The Foreshadowing Furnace
12. Black Metal [Venom cover] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [DVD]
01. The Serpentine Offering [video]
02. Making Of The Album With Dimmu Borgir (Studio Report)
03. Making Of "The Serpentine Offering"
+ Photogallery

Additional info
Dimmu Borgir's first concept album

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
A Black Metal concept album? Yes, you read that right. Dimmu Borgir has once again found a way to stand out by taking an unconventional path. The Norwegian superstars are back with "In Sorte Diaboli", following mostly raw reviews on their re-release of "Stormblåst". Needless to say that their concept better stand the test if Dimmu Borgir wants to stay on top, seeing that their latest notable work was released in 2003. Remember "Death Cult Armageddon"?

Read more ››
published 17.06.2007 | Comments (39)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
So here it is, "In Sorte Diaboli", the long awaited new Dimmu Borgir concept album. It truly is a testament to the spirit of black metal, at least in it's message. The story is set in medieval england, and the concept that the album follows is that a man who is a priest's assistant realizes how corrupt the church is, and then in turn gets in touch with his dark side. Silenoz is the one who created the story and concept of the album, and I must say I apreciate him for that, I have been looking for an album dedicated to the message of corruption in organized religion. I would like all reading this review to prepare themselves to come into direct contact with Satan, prepare yourselves for "In Sorte Diaboli."

Read more ››
published 09.09.2007 | Comments (25)

Guest review by
Ekim Reklaw
Rating:
Dimmu Borgir made quite the accomplishment with the album, In Sorte Diaboli. This 2007 release to me is one of their best, if not the best. In Sorte Diaboli (ISD) was the very first Dimmu Borgir album I bought, but it was also the very first black metal, or for you technical people out there, symphonic black metal albums that I bought.

Read more ››
published 11.07.2012 | Comments (12)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Dimmu Borgir's eighth effort was sadly synchronized with the last appearance of ICS Vortex and Mustis, due to their dismissal from the band. The last record from their third wave, the band released a concept album for the first time in their career, which is quite attractive both in illustration terms and lyric-wise.

Read more ››
published 03.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 978 users
26.02.2010 - 03:57
Rating: 8
Novas

I think its their best yet. I was never a fan of Shagrath's synthesized voice. Finally, he uses his real voice, it sounds cool & still keeping their symphonic ways too. They should stick to this path & try not to go back to their annoying ways. Songs to look at: "The Serpentine Offering", "The Sacrilegious Scorn", "The Fundamental Alienation", "The Invaluable Darkness", & "The Foreshadowing Furnace"
05.03.2010 - 01:14
SatyriconChick

I love Dimmu Borgir, and this album has its moments, but I really disagree about it being their best. Spiritual Black Dimensions gets that honor from me, quickly followed by both Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. For All Tid and Stormblast are amazing as well. I think the only Dimmu album (I'm not counting Godless Savage Garden here because it's mostly live stuff) I would rank below In Sorte Diaboli is Death Cult Armageddon, and that's just because of the crappy production. Other than "The Serpentine Offering," "The Sacrilegious Scorn" and maaaaayyybe two other songs, it's just not a terribly fascinating album to me.
06.03.2010 - 00:47
Rating: 9
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Written by SatyriconChick on 05.03.2010 at 01:14

I love Dimmu Borgir, and this album has its moments, but I really disagree about it being their best. Spiritual Black Dimensions gets that honor from me, quickly followed by both Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. For All Tid and Stormblast are amazing as well. I think the only Dimmu album (I'm not counting Godless Savage Garden here because it's mostly live stuff) I would rank below In Sorte Diaboli is Death Cult Armageddon, and that's just because of the crappy production. Other than "The Serpentine Offering," "The Sacrilegious Scorn" and maaaaayyybe two other songs, it's just not a terribly fascinating album to me.

ok same things here. I like the album and i understand it as a "mature concept of dimmu". I can accept the fact that bands cannot produce all the times same "quality" + years go by...

Nevertheless, i have the digi-version of it (with the mirror stuff ya know for the reversed booklet lyrics) but i really dislike this :

The different bonus track (i hate when that happens)and..... At the backside cover (track list) has a misspelling "Exclusive Eurpean track"

I know, detail but *^#@!$@#% -when you pay for something you demand to be without mistakes!
Anyway sometimes in various booklets we trace horrible things, anyway
----
\m/etalstor\m/
25.09.2010 - 19:34
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
I just found this (that i didn't know):

"In Sorte Diaboli became the first black metal album to be number 1 on a list of albums to get in Norway. Also entered the Billboard 200 peaking at number 43, the highest position from a Norwegian group since a-ha."
20.02.2011 - 22:47
.Nemesis.

I loved it. The song "The Serpentine Offering" is just so badass.
----
You try to awaken me, the flesh dripping with blood
My body is there, but my soul a perilous void
Aethereal existence coming off in ambient waves
I am nothing. I AM N1H1L.
20.04.2011 - 14:57
Heka69

I did expect more... but the double-bass on "The Chosen Legacy" is quite awesome.
30.07.2012 - 02:03
Rating: 7
musicalkaratekid

Not a bad album, but some songs really show DB's lack of originality, such as the boring instrumental 'The fallen arises' and Bonus Track 'The heretic Hammer'. I think the reason people hate this album is purely because of its mainstream approach, and whilst that isn't a good thing for a symphonic black metal band such as DB, it has worked for them ever since the album's release. Far from their best, but definitely far from their worst too.
09.03.2014 - 22:58
ohmayhem

I love the first, second, and fifth tracks a lot. The rest kind of blends together for me.
05.01.2022 - 06:16
ohmayhem

Written by ohmayhem on 09.03.2014 at 22:58

I love the first, second, and fifth tracks a lot. The rest kind of blends together for me.

it's been so many years and this is still the last comment on this album? huh!

well, i came back to basically rescind everything i said. i've been revisiting a lot of old albums i used to not appreciate in the past and this one's probably the greatest example. i cannot stop listening to it. the serpentine offering is now one of my favorite songs of all time. this album sparked my interest in their fantastic back catalogue. i absolutely adore this band and it's all thanks to giving this album another chance.

i wouldn't say it's as strong as PEM or EDT, but it sure is up there. as enjoyable a listen as any!
26.09.2022 - 11:49
GrimReaper85

It has blast beats (The Conspiracy Unfolds), what more do you want.
30.11.2023 - 09:30
RoyBoy432
Dr. Quark
Dimmu Borgir must have the higher ratio of total album reviews to total albums of any band on Metal Storm. Nearly every one has >= 3 reviews!

Hits total: 19366 | This month: 78