Metal Storm logo
Cynic - Release New EP In May

On next May 17th, progressive metallers Cynic will release a brand new EP entitled Re-Traced, including reinterpretations of four songs from the critically acclaimed Traced in Air album, as well as a previously unreleased song. Watch the video teaser below.

"Re-Traced is an experiment for us - an opportunity to turn four songs from Traced in Air inside out and to share something new", comments frontman Paul Masvidal. "In our exploration, we've created music that is part "sci-fi prog folk", part psychedelic rock, part minimalist restraint. These interpretations feel channeled from another galaxy. For the most part the tunes reference some of our favourite musical forms and in our own curious way (electronic/ambient, jazz/fusion, drum n' bass, experimental, shoegaze). There is no vocoder, no traditionally busy Cynic riffs that are some of our most signatures sounds, but the music retains its song structure, integral melodic sense, harmony and lyrical inspiration."

About the new song: "It is entitled "Wheels Within Wheels" and it is the most rock/metal tune on the EP. Mood-wise it has a melodic optimism that is a bit more transparent than in other Cynic songs, giving it a unique and emotive color. We are really pleased with the performances and energy of this track. Considering this song is perhaps the closest reference to a familiar Cynic sound, it still leaves behind many of the former trademarks and introduces a new shade of groove and dynamic. Progressive music has many faces, and that is always the name of the game for Cynic: re-inventing ourselves and pushing our own musical boundaries for ourselves and our fans."

Re-Traced [cover art] tracklist:

01. The Space For This
02. King Of Those Who Know
03. Evolutionary Sleeper
04. Integral Birth
05. Wheels Within Wheels

Source: season-of-mist.com
Band profile: Cynic
Posted: 26.02.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 143 users
26.02.2010 - 17:30
Ulv

Sounds really interesting
26.02.2010 - 18:27
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I am stoked for this!
----
(space for rent)
26.02.2010 - 18:31
MeloDeathViking

I got to hear Wheels Within Wheels when I saw them on tour with BtBAM, it's actually a really good song. I have to say that I'm disappointed with the fact that there will only be one "new" song on the ep.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
26.02.2010 - 19:07
Arasazi

Awesome!
26.02.2010 - 19:29
Crazy Booduh

I've never heard Cynic's first album but I checked out Traced in Air after all the hype I heard. I liked it, but I would have liked it SO much more if he didn't use that digital effect on his voice.

Judging by that trailer, it sounds like he's singing cleanly a lot more. Score!
26.02.2010 - 23:40
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Hopefully these remixes tone the effects down a bit, liking what I hear so far.
27.02.2010 - 00:02
JÄY
Metal slave
The effects make this band weird for me...and they were boring, live (the musicians, not the music)
27.02.2010 - 00:07
Symmachus

I am looking forward to this EP being released; it seems cool.
27.02.2010 - 06:38
DP_Megachiva
Account deleted
Interesting... but, I really want a whole new album, that would be amazing
27.02.2010 - 19:59
trendkill-

Sounds good so far!
27.02.2010 - 20:27
Eddie Misery

Looking forward to it.
28.02.2010 - 23:55
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Sounds interesting. Placed on my wishlist.
03.03.2010 - 01:30
xplanet2112

Yeah this I godda have, sounds like a more mellow approach to their material and I can't wait to hear their version of 'Wheels on the Bus' my 2year old's gonna love it... Oh wait...
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
09.03.2010 - 07:55
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Already heard Wheels Within Wheels live ...as usual with this guys...amazing!
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...

Hits total: 4495 | This month: 5