09. She Comes In Colors
10. The Obsidian Conspiracy
11. Crystal Ship [The Doors cover]
12. Temptation [The Tea Party cover]

The Best Thrash Metal Album Of 2010

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
How does a band top a masterpiece? For example, they change a lot. South of Heaven after Reign in Blood felt shockingly slow and heavy. Or they try to copy their best release, with mixed results: see Enslaved's Ruun or Testament's New Order. Another way to tackle the post-masterpiece syndrome is what Nevermore did - and let me tell you in advance that they did it beautifully - you take what you did best and eliminate the elements that weren't perfect. Assuming that it's done by a band as talented as Nevermore, the final product must be at least outstanding. Or even brilliant, and I'm happy to announce to you dear readers, that brilliant is what The Obsidian Conspiracy is.

Read more ››
published 15.08.2010 | Comments (70)

Guest review by
strade
Rating:
What do a five year wait, a couple solo albums, trying to live up to a masterpiece, conflicting artistic direction, and totally mangling a sound that needed little improvement all have in common? They're all reasons why Nevermore's last release before deteriorating as a band, The Obsidian Conspiracy, underwhelms. Severely. In 2010, five years after the raw and hate-fueled masterpiece This Godless Endeavor was unleashed upon our unprepared society, Nevermore released this nonsensical escapade, and I could hardly believe I was listening to the same band; and no, as you might have already guessed, I don't mean that in a positive way.

Read more ››
published 16.03.2012 | Comments (23)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 60   Visited by: 1507 users
05.06.2010 - 14:49
Baz Anderson

It's actually grown on me quite a bit.
08.06.2010 - 17:32
Rating: 8
Carrion Misery

Just listened to it three times in a row and now on my fourth spin. Some of Warrel's vocals are a bit reminiscent of Praises to the War Machine which don't have enough "snare" and are bit too woeful for my Nevermore fix (I'm a huge Doom Metal fan too so I like woeful!), but in many songs he does perform the classic Warrel-Nevermore vocals which is relieving. However, this CD is very much a grower from what I've witnessed, and I actually might revisit Praises again. Some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy e.g.: And The Maiden Spoke. I really like the choruses on many of the songs though. I've already caught myself singing them to myself. The music is fuckin flawless imo. Nevermore never ceases to amaze me. I can see how some of it might seem grey or boring, but I really love the groove of the songs and it's just a different angle.

Truthfully, I didn't like This Godless Endeavor at all when I first heard it. Now it's one of my favorite top 5 CDs of all time and I wonder why I ever under appreciated it. I just look at The Obsidian Conspiracy as a new chapter in the book of Nevermore. It is quite refreshing compared to all the metal that is out now.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
09.06.2010 - 07:07
Eddie Misery

Love it. Love it. Love it. Am I biased? Why yes, of course...Nevermore is my absolute favorite band..lol. But, even from a biased point of view, that doesn't mean that I can't also make it an honest point of view.

My first listen through this album, I was floored, but I kept getting this nagging feeling that something was missing. After a few more listens over the course of the day, it's not really that something is missing, it's just that a few things are a bit different from what many people might expect after This Godless Endeavor. The main difference being the more "groove"-like feel to some of the cd, especially the chorus of "Emptiness Unobstructed". This one reminded me of Praises to the War Machine more than any of the others. Of course, The Obsidian Conspiracy is absolutely not without it's head-splitting fast moments either. Also, I'll agree with Carrion (and what many others) have said as far as likening Warrel's vocals at times to those on his solo album, which I happened to actually enjoy, though admittedly not nearly as much as I enjoyed Loomis' solo album.

I know there will be some to disagree, but I found The Obsidian Conspiracy to be every bit well worth the wait (5 years! O_O), and it's definitely a new and very dark chapter in Nevermore's catalogue. Fucking love it. Nevermore sets the bar ever higher, as always, and not just higher but in a realm which is completely untouched otherwise.

09.06.2010 - 17:01
Rating: 5
Mr. Burns

Not very good. Twas expecting way better from my "once favorite band". I think it's boring, sounds like rehashed older material. Musically it is well played but the songwriting is underwhelming.:sleep:
11.06.2010 - 13:48
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I still dont know what to think about this album and what rate should I give. To me this is something between 'Dead Heart...' and 'This Godless Endeavor' style-wise, but it doesnt feel that memorable. I gotta give it some more tries... maybe it'll grow on me.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
11.06.2010 - 14:33
Rating: 9
DrumMachine84

Great album! I love all the tracks, but espcially appriciate the 7/4 time signature on "The Day You Built The Wall", the transition from soft to heavy on " She Comes in Colors", and the guitar lead on the chorus of "The Obsidian Conspiracy."
----
I am the voyager, I have tasted pleasures of the flesh and drunk the pleasures of the mind;
-Nevermore; I, Voyager;

11.06.2010 - 19:08
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 11.06.2010 at 14:45

for me it's something between Enemies Of Reality & Praises To The War Machine.

Hmm, I don't like to compare Nevermore with Warrel's solo project. I think its 2 completely different kinds of music.
Either way, I think it has the potential to grow much more in me, so I'm going to keep listening and enjoying it.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
16.06.2010 - 21:39
MetalheadSwe

Fantastic album. It's not their best but I really like it.
17.06.2010 - 05:43
Rating: 6
Opethian

Its killer
17.06.2010 - 05:44
Rating: 6
Opethian

Written by MetalheadSwe on 16.06.2010 at 21:39

Fantastic album. It's not their best but I really like it.

i can totally agree with you on that one !
29.06.2010 - 02:27
Necrodamus

It's a great album...but I doubt they will ever again come close to matching the brilliance of This Godless Endeavor
02.07.2010 - 13:24
lord artan

Very good album i love it.best power metal album in 2010
15.07.2010 - 22:34
Saeed_p

Fantastic Album!!!:thumbup::thumbup:
03.08.2010 - 22:04
Rating: 10
dark_mar

I like how groovy oriented it is...even it is hard to say metal is groovy. I listen to very different music - also Al Di Meola and more rock, world-music stuff.
It sounds great on good speakers...not for poor car-speakers. I am so happy that I bought it music make me happy
11.08.2010 - 05:01
DrumMachine84

I like most of the songs on the album. Two that especially stick out are "She Comes In Colors" and "The Obsidian Conspiracy." I'm not a fan of the "The Crystal Ship" cover, but "Temptation" is not bad.
----
I am the voyager, I have tasted pleasures of the flesh and drunk the pleasures of the mind;
-Nevermore; I, Voyager;

17.08.2010 - 21:49
Reza
Account deleted
I didn't enjoy it very much . IMO it's an average album.
19.08.2010 - 19:49
Wayakin

It's shame to admit, but this is first album I actually heard from Nevermore, I knew there was such band as Nevermore, but never paid attention to it. As a guy, who has not heard their previous stuff, I can tell, that this album was really, really good!:banger2:
20.08.2010 - 21:12
-Soulreaper-

The album is starting to grow on me with each listen. I still dont think that it is better than any of the previous albums though. But I still can not stand the song Your Poison Throne.
24.08.2010 - 01:48
╠╣
Account deleted
Awesome album, and a very good review!
17.12.2010 - 04:41
The Voyager
The Table
Very underrated album thus far, in my opinion, although the review above would suggest otherwise. People seem to be shying away from it because it isn't the same as Godless or Dead Heart. But this album is it's own beast, and I can assure most listeners that after a few times, it will grow on you quite a bit. It did for me.
17.05.2011 - 16:19
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by The Voyager on 17.12.2010 at 04:41

Very underrated album thus far, in my opinion, although the review above would suggest otherwise. People seem to be shying away from it because it isn't the same as Godless or Dead Heart. But this album is it's own beast, and I can assure most listeners that after a few times, it will grow on you quite a bit. It did for me.

Well said. Yes, there are a couple of things I wished they did better (such as the mundane lyrics and the considerably weakened vocals) after 5 long years, but if you can disregard that, this one's a really solid effort.
17.08.2011 - 23:10
Rating: 3
Todgeist

This, in my opinion, is a huge letdown. No trolling intended, it's just that I really think this is nothing compared to their last releases.
27.09.2011 - 10:03
Quinaitor

Written by corrupt on 15.05.2010 at 16:55

Written by Darkside Momo on 11.05.2010 at 21:36

Good album for sure, but it's certainly not their best.

True that! With This Godless Endeavor we all wondered whether Nevermore had really evolved to that new sound or if that's just Steve Smyth making his influence count. There we have our answer. This one continues the evolution of Dead Heart In A Dead World and Enemies Of Reality leaving This Godless Endeavor their sole masterpiece from another dimension of Nevermore.

Who else feels reminded of Children Of Bodom's Needled 24/7 when listening to the first 22 seconds of the title track?

I thought I was the only crazy moron that heard the 99.9999% same song intro on both songs, now I am glad to know that is not only myself who think like that. Either way, this album is a really freaking good one, Nevermore is one of the top 10 prog metal bands of all time imo, they have done monster album all over their carreer so it's kind of pointless making any kind of reminder to This Godless Endeavor or Dead Heart In A Dead World since they are past albums, and prog is about moving on fellas.
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
15.01.2012 - 00:16
musicalkaratekid

Weak compared to the releases beforehand, but this album still has some good material. The opening two tracks are Nevermore's most boring songs, but the title track and 'And the maiden spoke' more than make up for that rambling beginning.
04.03.2012 - 21:47
Korah

One of the best album from 2010! Epic!
----
Don't cry for my English
29.05.2013 - 23:01
Zap
I like how the genre description for this band changes about every year on this site.

Love this album and basically every other Nevermore album, but this is one of the band's weakest. Would only put it above Enemies Of Reality's original mix and about on par with the remixed version.
05.08.2013 - 19:24
JÄY
Metal slave
Underrated, compared to the last release....Great album.
16.12.2017 - 20:21
Zap
Just realized the very last words of the very last song from the very last Nevermore album are "These are my last words"
14.12.2022 - 01:43
Nate612

RIP Warrel Dane
04.08.2023 - 01:49
Hooman

Absolutely underrated. Definitely deserves more than 8.1

Hits total: 38895 | This month: 39