01. Leukes Renkespill (Introduksjon)
02. Belus' Død
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning
05. Sverddans
06. Keliohesten
07. Morgenrøde
08. Belus' Tilbakekomst

Let's not waste too much time squabbling over Vargs crazy antics. It's already surreal enough that there's a new Burzum out, let's not overload our poor brains. Belus, or the White God, has enough of Varg's magical touch to cause controversy from the very first second it was announced, with Varg playing his favourite part as innocent Manuel "I know noooothing". Ah, good times.

After majestic albums such as Det Som Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem, a return to Black metal as promised by Varg left half of the Burzum-camp excited and the other half sceptical. For all of them, there's really only one question and that is: will Varg piss on his own legacy or not? Well, for all those that hate cliffhangers (I'm one of you): yes. Ok, his legacy may not be drenched in urine, but it definitely needs a change of underwear.

Belus aims to hypnotize the listener, but it fails due to too much fluctuation in songwriting quality, a lacklustre production and a general feeling of "we've heard this all before". Unfortunately for Varg, the tidal wave of bedroom depressive Black metal bands he inspired are the reason why Belus fails to impress.

As stated before, the songs vary too much in quality. While a few songs achieve the desired drony trance ("Glemselens Elv", "Belus' Tillbakekomst (Konklusjon)"), others sound too dull and bland to deserve a place in Burzum's discography ("Belus' Død"). With his monotone and repetitive style he takes a risk with each single riff, it absolutely has to be great to deserve endless repetition, and he just swings-and-misses too often. He should've taken another five years.

"Sverddans" and "Keliohesten", tracks five and six respectively, also do the album no good with their faster pace and hateful nature. Although decent songs in their own merit, they break the hypnotic cycle (which already tends to collapse on itself due the weak building bricks a.k.a. riffs incorporated in the structure). And that the most memorable riff in "Keliohesten" is a typical De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas-riff, that is just pure ironic gold.

However, by far the most disappointing element of Belus are the vocals. Varg has lost it. His wolf-esque howls have been replaced with mediocre, wholly unimpressive run-off-the-mill shrieks. You'd figure that after so many years of prison his shrieks would have entered a new dimension of pain ("pick up the soap, Mr. Arsonist"), but they have only grown tame and lame. He seems to have noticed this too, as he utilizes them less than before, often opting for clean vocals instead. These clean vocals are nice surprise - he does them with verve - but they cannot salvage the vocal performance as a whole.

In conclusion, Belus is a disappointment. It's not incredibly bad, it has its moments, but it ultimately fails to impress. You'd expect this from a beginning, potentially decent depressive Black metal band, but from Varg? No. Unfortunately for him, his legacy and his devotees have surpassed him. If this did not have Burzum written on the cover, nobody would have given a crap.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 6

Written on 28.02.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 86   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 752 users
28.02.2010 - 12:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Nice conclusion
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2010 - 12:32
Thryce
Retired Staff
Pfft, you don't understand black metal at all.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
28.02.2010 - 12:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I love "Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning", then i "quite like" couple of other songs and i "dont mind" listening to the rest...7.8 from me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.02.2010 - 13:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
While i would say this is a 6.5 "average" i think some level of respect is deserving, particularly considering its nature as a comeback album; there's a strong level of consistency flowing through most, if not all, the songs and although the structure and riff quality are not exactly top tier (but lets be honest, there's no such thing as an original riff nowadays) he does achieve a certain degree of atmospheric melancholia (no doubt enhanced by the notoriety and hype of its origins). Personally speaking i really like his new vocal style (I don't think his older, acerbic vocals would have worked at all on this release) and the production choices, and also, Glemselens Elve is a great song.

I guess the best aspect of the album is that it shows he probably still has a potentially great album in him somewhere; that he didn't go loopy shit with this one and put in all manner of esoteric nonsense that wouldn't have worked.
28.02.2010 - 13:29
Elio
Red Nightmare
Yeah it's an average album for me too, I didn't expect anything great anyway.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.02.2010 - 13:37
Baz Anderson

The criticism in this review is what I would say about all Burzum albums - so I don't get why the holy, legendary (probably more like nostalgic) early albums are seen as so much better than this.

Then again I'm hardly familiar with the band, so I can't comment.
28.02.2010 - 14:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.02.2010 at 13:37

The criticism in this review is what I would say about all Burzum albums - so I don't get why the holy, legendary (probably more like nostalgic) early albums are seen as so much better than this.

Because those albums were groundbreaking at the time
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2010 - 15:01
Lord_Regnier

"If this did not have Burzum written on the cover, nobody would have given a crap"

That's what I think.

In fact, I think almost nobody would have given a crap at Burzum if it were only for the music. It got much much more notoriety through the grim events than the music.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.02.2010 - 15:05
Lord_Regnier

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2010 at 14:11

As far as I know, it was pretty much unknown and sales were extremely poor before the events that ended with Varg locked in jail. This is what has drawn attention on Burzum and Mayhem. Before that, both were pretty much nothing, as far as I know.
----
28.02.2010 - 15:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.02.2010 at 15:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2010 at 14:11

As far as I know, it was pretty much unknown and sales were extremely poor before the events that ended with Varg locked in jail. This is what has drawn attention on Burzum and Mayhem. Before that, both were pretty much nothing, as far as I know.

Actually you are right. Burzum was known only to a very very very select crowd. Mayhem and Darkthrone were much more well-known at the time.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2010 - 15:28
Lord_Regnier

I'm living in Canada and, as you surely remember, we didn't have internet back then so we didn't have the information at hand like it is now.
The name Darkthrone I knew but I didn't now that Mayhem and Burzum existed.
And, if I recall correctly, you could find Darkthrone's albums in stores here but I never saw a Burzum or Mayhem album in stores at that time.
----
28.02.2010 - 15:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Varg could really benefit from sitting down and catching up with the last decade of black metal, though, i would imagine, he would probably dismiss the lot as being untrue and unworthy of his own musings.
28.02.2010 - 15:32
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 28.02.2010 at 15:29

he would probably dismiss the lot as being untrue and unworthy of his own musings.

In all his arrogance, he already dismissed and insulted it.
----
28.02.2010 - 15:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 28.02.2010 at 15:32

Written by Guest on 28.02.2010 at 15:29

he would probably dismiss the lot as being untrue and unworthy of his own musings.

In all his arrogance, he already dismissed and insulted it.

You have to wonder what goes on in his head, what he feels about his music, to release something like Belus and denigrate all other music at the same time. He really must consider his own work the epitome of genius. I think egotist doesn't come close to summing him up
28.02.2010 - 15:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Yeah... this album is quite Meh, and I believe that the rating is fair enough. I also don't really like the vocals, I loved the vocals he did on Filosofem and thought that with time they could get better, giving deeper atmospheres, but no... They are lame, the clean vocals were interesting though.

And the music, it's also meh... But Glemselens Elv was a good song, I agree with that. My expectations were really low so this is not a disappointment at all but that doesn't make the album good.

You know... I'm just gonna pretend that this is some stuff done by another band and lsiten to Filosofem or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss right now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.02.2010 - 16:16
Rating: 7
Mikyz

The album is pretty average, the mesmerizing Burzum touch that was present in Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem isn't present anymore, + I'm very disappointed with the vocals. Still this album has it's moments but it's not as impressive as I anticipated. That happens when you have high expectations. :/
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
28.02.2010 - 16:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yes...i havent expectations and wasnt really disappointed then
----

28.02.2010 - 17:03
Hamird
Lieutenant
The album is a hype.. (If I used the word Hype in the right place). The first time I listened to the album I liked it, second time was all right, but after that, I've no idea..
But anyway let's not say it's a let down in my opinion.. Maybe it was, but I rather call it an average album that a let down..
28.02.2010 - 17:13
soadbyob
Account deleted
Shame, i was expecting so much. Facepalm, Varg, extreme facepalm
28.02.2010 - 18:02
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Well.. I wasn't expecting something better anyway. A 6.9 looks good.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
28.02.2010 - 20:09
Rifai
Celtic Guardian
A 6.9 is fair enough, I guess.
28.02.2010 - 20:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
And yet this will still likely win the 2010 ms award for black metal.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.02.2010 - 20:47
Baz Anderson

Written by BitterCOld on 28.02.2010 at 20:41

Well you, Marcel and Lucas don't seem interested in it - and I'm certainly not. I can't see it even being nominated, haha.
28.02.2010 - 21:50
ylside

Written by Baz Anderson on 28.02.2010 at 20:47

Well you, Marcel and Lucas don't seem interested in it - and I'm certainly not. I can't see it even being nominated, haha.

Spot on... lol

I think I will probably check this album.
28.02.2010 - 21:52
DayFly

Written by Baz Anderson on 28.02.2010 at 20:47

My money's on write in. Just like Kreator this year *going out on a limb*
28.02.2010 - 21:54
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by DayFly on 28.02.2010 at 21:52

Ah ah, maybe. Write-ins are done just for that
And fyi I did vote for Kreator in thrash this year!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.02.2010 - 21:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well so far i havent heard better black this year...any suggestions for me?
----

28.02.2010 - 21:59
Baz Anderson

Written by DayFly on 28.02.2010 at 21:52

Haha, well you'll find out in a few days just how successful write-in votes can be (with Kreator).
Bear in mind this year we will apparently get new Dimmu Borgir, Keep Of Kalessin and 1349 albums among others...
28.02.2010 - 22:38
Sunioj

Review is spot on - everything about this album just screams 'cliche depressive black metal' and luckily that phase for me is long gone, inspiring absolutely nothing to me.
01.03.2010 - 21:50
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Mmmmm even i might give it a higher rating ,, but i almost agree with the review .,, it wasnt that disappointment for me [i was expecting something worse ] .. but yeah ,, THE WORST PART ARE THE VOCALS ,, .. CLEAN VOCALS ,, in BURZUM record ,,

Hits total: 18381 | This month: 26