Metal Storm logo
Bruce Dickinson

Original post

Posted by GT, 06.08.2006 - 20:24
Just found out that we didn't had a Bruce Dickinson-tread...but now we do...

I'm a big fan of BD. His voice and his singing style are great and unique imo. Also his energy on stage...I haven't seen any other singer running around that much.
I only own 'The Chemical Wedding' and 'Balls To Picasso' form his solo career and it's been a long time since I gave them a listen, but I remember them as being excellent.

That's all from me...now it's your turn
01.10.2007 - 19:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 01.10.2007 at 17:51

Written by Bad English on 01.10.2007 at 15:14

Written by GT on 01.10.2007 at 15:03

@Angel-Dust: agree it's an amazing song with lots of emotions and good music

IMO best emeotional song of Bruce

Yeah you're probably right...haven't heard all BD's solo stuff so that's why I didn't label it 'the best'

I had all ok maybe in otherhas some such songs but not so emeotional like this
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.10.2007 - 01:55
Templar_Knight
Account deleted
I like Accident of Birth more than any Maiden album
15.10.2007 - 14:10
In Chaos

Written by Bad English on 01.10.2007 at 19:54

Written by GT on 01.10.2007 at 17:51

Written by Bad English on 01.10.2007 at 15:14

Written by GT on 01.10.2007 at 15:03

@Angel-Dust: agree it's an amazing song with lots of emotions and good music

IMO best emeotional song of Bruce

Yeah you're probably right...haven't heard all BD's solo stuff so that's why I didn't label it 'the best'

I had all ok maybe in otherhas some such songs but not so emeotional like this

tears of the dragon is a really good song, but navigate the seas of the sun!! that is one hell of a song, one of the best of Bruce's songs i my oppinnion.
15.10.2007 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 14.10.2007 at 01:55

All his albums are more and different how Maiden albums
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2007 - 03:21
PowerMetal
Account deleted
Navigate the Seas of the Sun is a top 5 favorite on his solo works and my favorite from Tyranny of Souls. Balls to Picasso might be the most eclectic album of his and my favorite, with The Chemical Wedding a close second. His artistic capabilities are extraordinary and his voice the most unique I know. I love everything the man has produced (though Skunkworks is by far my least favorite), and I hope he continues for many more years.
19.10.2007 - 06:42
Anthem

Love the work of this guy. He seems to hire good musicians and puts out good personal stuff
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
30.04.2010 - 17:16
JÄY
Metal slave
Just got tyranny of souls and i love it! I really enjoy his mystical mood and abstract lyrics
01.05.2010 - 02:28
adean_bllzr

Written by Guest on 14.10.2007 at 01:55

In my opinion, I think you are overstating too much but I really think "Accident of Birth" is the best album in the Bruce Dickinson career.
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
02.05.2010 - 01:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JÄY on 30.04.2010 at 17:16

Just got tyranny of souls and i love it! I really enjoy his mystical mood and abstract lyrics

The wind droips sould down from hilsside 20 knots kill .... hill
You are wright those lyrics I would want ask him what he ment when wrote those
----

apos;'
[image]
04.05.2010 - 00:17
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Bad English on 02.05.2010 at 01:05

Written by JÄY on 30.04.2010 at 17:16

The wind droips sould down from hilsside 20 knots kill .... hill
You are wright those lyrics I would want ask him what he ment when wrote those

Kill Devil Hill was the hill on which the Wright bros. had their first successfull flight, i think. i believe this song recounts this. and ya know, brucey is all horny about aviation
10.05.2010 - 15:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
So far i only know (and like ) "Tears Of The Dragon" and "Man Of Sorrows" by him...any other recommendations of great songs?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.05.2010 - 16:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 10.05.2010 at 15:59

So far i only know (and like ) "Tears Of The Dragon" and "Man Of Sorrows" by him...any other recommendations of great songs?

try in MS go true band videos, those hmm 10-15 are best songs, + Navigate Seass Os Sun, Kill Devil Hill, Soul Intruders, River Of No Return from last

all Tattoed Milinare album
Balls To Pichaso-1000 Points Of Light, Laughing In The Hiding Bush, CHange Of Heart
Accident Of Birth-Star Children, Darkside Of Aquarius, Road To hell, Man Of Sorrows,
The Chemical Wedding-King In Crimson, Book Of Thel, Jerusalem, Gates Of Urizen, Trumphets Of Jericho
BEST OF: DISCK II 01. Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter [Original Soundtrack version] totaly diferent how IM version, whit same lyrics
03. Wicker Man (Rec. 1997)

I have all albums and I love all, have spend hourts from listen one by one
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2010 - 00:13
Aeonian_Lich

The song: Omega from the album "Accident of Birth" is his best for me. But don't miss Acoustic Song and Silver wings (which can be found in his best of album).

In fact I totally advise "Balls to Picasso", "Accident of Birth", "The Chemical Wedding" and "Tyranny of Souls". Especially the last three. There are 2 or 3 weak songs in all three albums.
04.12.2011 - 18:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does somebody knows will there be his solo album out last was a blast n killer (I mean his solo not IM what was shit)
So any news, there is no neews about his solo stuffsince 2006 sth
----

apos;'
[image]
05.12.2011 - 17:19
Purplepiper

Bruce Dickinson... One of the biggest influences in my life. Although this thread is about Bd and not Iron Maiden i can't think of Bruce without the Iron Maiden. I think his best work was with the Maiden. On the other hand if i should mention a few of my favourites from his solo work. My top 3 would be 1-The Magician 2-Tears of a Dragon and Man of Sorrows would probably be 3rd. One other thing is that i've noticed people wrote about Bruce's voice getting better? Ive been to their tour this year and although his voice sounds more stable it is not a vintage vine case.I can't imagine him singing loneliness of a long distance runner or aces high. I think he would sing certain parts from an octave down. In the last 2 Iron Maiden albums he sounds awesome. Although what happens in studio stays in studio...(Vegas Joke!!!) Even though i critisized him a bit. He is my favourite singer and will always be. His stage performance is beyond any thing you can see. He literally jumps around with a rope like Tarzan. After all he is "the living flame and" he "teaches the holy games"...
05.12.2011 - 17:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I think "The Chemical Wedding" is up there with the best stuff he did with Maiden. That album is a total classic to me. And I love all of his stuff with Roy Z. Roy really resurrected Bruce's solo career and gave him music that was of the quality required to utilise his amazing voice to it's best potential.
05.12.2011 - 20:20
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.12.2011 at 17:42

I think "The Chemical Wedding" is up there with the best stuff he did with Maiden. That album is a total classic to me. And I love all of his stuff with Roy Z. Roy really resurrected Bruce's solo career and gave him music that was of the quality required to utilise his amazing voice to it's best potential.

Couldn't agree more.....Great 3 albums in a row!
18.12.2011 - 06:33
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Is it just me, or is Accident of Birth a concept album? it seems to be telling two different stories, which I call the "Starchildren" story and the "Accident of Birth" story.
"Starchildren" is about aliens and "Accident of Birth" is about a person in Hell being accidently born and...something. I have to analyze the album some more.
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
18.12.2011 - 07:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ?apleee on 18.12.2011 at 06:33

Is it just me, or is Accident of Birth a concept album? it seems to be telling two different stories, which I call the "Starchildren" story and the "Accident of Birth" story.
"Starchildren" is about aliens and "Accident of Birth" is about a person in Hell being accidently born and...something. I have to analyze the album some more.

It's not a concept album. I remember an interview with Bruce in Metal Hammer round about the time of the album's release where he spoke about all the songs, desciribing their meaning. And it's not a concept album.
18.12.2011 - 10:12
bran

Bruce is amazing in maiden and solo the guys voice is just awesome
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
18.12.2011 - 19:20
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.12.2011 at 07:14

Written by ?apleee on 18.12.2011 at 06:33

It's not a concept album. I remember an interview with Bruce in Metal Hammer round about the time of the album's release where he spoke about all the songs, desciribing their meaning. And it's not a concept album.

Alright, thanks for clearing it up. Can you give me a link to the interview?
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
19.12.2011 - 02:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ?apleee on 18.12.2011 at 19:20

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that interview online. However, I just recalled that in the booklet for the remastered/expanded edition of that album, there are liner notes from Bruce in which he describes the meaning of each track. Oh, and it seems you actually were a little bit right. hehee He said this about Omega: "A loose concept united Toltec 7 Arrival, Star Children, Omega and Arc of Space. They're all about an apocalyptic future. Omega is about the end of the world and Arc of Space is concerned with those who look at aliens almost as a religion; wish fulfilment on a grand scale. I wrote Star Children about the first contact with an alien, but the alien is Death. Take his hand and you die."

Here's what he had to say about some of the other songs:

Road To Hell: "That song wonders what went through Jesus' head whilst being crucified. Was he thinking about Mum and Dad? What did he say to the guys on the crosses next door?"

Man Of Sorrows: "It's about Aleister Crowley's childhood and what he eventually became."

Accident Of Birth: "This is about a guy who should never have been born, but was. His family are all dead, and they want him back."
19.12.2011 - 05:33
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.12.2011 at 02:02

Written by ?apleee on 18.12.2011 at 19:20

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that interview online. However, I just recalled that in the booklet for the remastered/expanded edition of that album, there are liner notes from Bruce in which he describes the meaning of each track. Oh, and it seems you actually were a little bit right. hehee He said this about Omega: "A loose concept united Toltec 7 Arrival, Star Children, Omega and Arc of Space. They're all about an apocalyptic future. Omega is about the end of the world and Arc of Space is concerned with those who look at aliens almost as a religion; wish fulfilment on a grand scale. I wrote Star Children about the first contact with an alien, but the alien is Death. Take his hand and you die."

Here's what he had to say about some of the other songs:

Road To Hell: "That song wonders what went through Jesus' head whilst being crucified. Was he thinking about Mum and Dad? What did he say to the guys on the crosses next door?"

Man Of Sorrows: "It's about Aleister Crowley's childhood and what he eventually became."

Accident Of Birth: "This is about a guy who should never have been born, but was. His family are all dead, and they want him back."

So I was right about the "Starchildren" line but not "Accident of Birth"? alright,I was sort of doubting the latter anyway, I just thought Road to Hell dealt with the family in Hell in Accident of Birth or something.
----

19.12.2011 - 07:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ?apleee on 19.12.2011 at 05:33
So I was right about the "Starchildren" line but not "Accident of Birth"? alright,I was sort of doubting the latter anyway, I just thought Road to Hell dealt with the family in Hell in Accident of Birth or something.

Another interesting thing to note: Bruce has said that the album and song title "Accident Of Birth" allude to the fact that he himself was a "birth that shouldn't have happened". As his mother revealed to him that he was the result of a "failed abortion". The song however isn't based on this aside from coincidental occurances in the lyrics, it's primarily a fictional song.

"Freak" was inspired by a friend of Roy Z's. And here's the other song meanings as explained by Bruce:

Taking The Queen: "Taking the Queen was a full on fairy tale, the subject of which is a dying monarch whose kingdom will perish with her. The only thing that can keep her alive is remaining a virgin, and she falls in love with a young stud of a prince."

Darkside Of Aquarius: "The four hell riders of the apocalypse feature here, which also name-checks Nostradamus and Marvel Comics character the Silver Surfer. It was all (Dickinson's) work."

Welcome To The Pit: "...is about dirty, dark and wicked sex. And jolly fine it is, too!"

The Magician: "This was also based on [Aleister] Crowley, but more "tongue-in-cheek", and even included a line about kicking sand in Satan's face, Charles Atlas-style."
30.04.2012 - 00:53
Urizen367

How many more mediocre iron maiden albums must we endure till Bruce puts out another bitchin album?? i know he's gotta have somethin by now!!
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
30.04.2012 - 02:30
BlueMobius
Account deleted
You don't have to endure it if you don't listen to it.
27.07.2012 - 06:28
monoblogist

My single favorite vocalist in Metal history, of his solo releases I love "Chemical Wedding", but "Accident of Birth" outshines even that... http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/2012/06/bruce-dickinsons-accident-of-birth.html

<uptheirons!>
----
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/
27.07.2012 - 17:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've only heard two of his albums (and some songs from the rest), not exactly sure why I've never bothered to hear the rest. Especially when considering I'm a fan of Blaze Bayley's solo project. Anyway, "Skunkworks" is a pile of shit, it's funny how bad it is. "Tyranny of Souls" on the other hand is a pretty good album!
----
28.07.2012 - 20:28
axelx666

Bruce dickinson, A LIVING GOD!

he seems like the coolest frontman ever!

i mean seriously check out this video for proof:

you cannot deny the awesomeness of bruce.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
09.08.2012 - 18:03
Altberg616

Not really heard too much of his solo stuff tbh