17. Bister Verklighet [No Security cover] [2002 re-issue bonus]

Disc II [2006 re-issue DVD]
+ Making Of "Slaughter Of The Soul"
+ Documentary
+ Blinded By Fear [video]

Top 20 albums of 1995: 5
Top 200 albums of all time: 71

Additional info
Re-release in 2002. Re-released again in 2006, including the bonus tracks from the 2002 rerelease + a bonus DVD.

Artwork by Kristian "Necrolord" Wåhlin.

Guest review by
gojko88
Rating:
This album has no review 12 years after its release?! Well, I cannot just let that be, can I? I mean, kids have to learn what a milestone this is in the history of death metal... Others already know what I'm talking about!

OK, first of all, this is one of the "Big Three" of the year 1995 (other 2 being In Flames' "The Jester Race" and Dark Tranquillity's "The Gallery"), which are easily the best melodeath albums ever and influence all of the new genres that many hail today. This album is a logical (although not predictable) step from At The Gates' previous album "Terminal Spirit Disease," when they first incorporated the new, more melodic approach into their music. Here, the sound was developed and polished to the max, yet without losing the aggressive edge they always had and you could say that it's a perfect balance. The consequence of all this is increased accessibility to their generally extreme music. From the legendary opener "Blinded By Fear" (which was the most popular and played video on MTV's Headbanger's Ball ever) to the strange neo-classical instrumental "The Flames Of The End," this is a true masterpiece - full stop. It would be rather pointless to describe or recommend specific songs, since the entire album flows really nice and the quality bar never drops. This may cause the album to sound slightly repetitive at first listen but only until you get to know the songs a little better; then it won't get out of your CD player (or iPod) for weeks, if not months. You'll feel shivers each time you play "Blinded By Fear," headbang with "Nausea" and jump with "Need" (hell, I just made recommendations)... And as if it wasn't enough, the album was reissued with bonus tracks (including unreleased and demo tracks and some covers, e.g. Slayer's "Captor Of Sin" which is fantastic) and even a 35-minute video with the singer Tomas Lindberg, guitarist Martin Larsson and the producer Fredrik Nordstrom.

Read more ››
published 20.01.2007 | Comments (39)

Found in 95 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 71   Visited by: 2064 users
09.04.2013 - 20:15
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Alex F on 09.04.2013 at 16:22

Written by bblitz on 09.04.2013 at 15:24

Very good album,very aggressive evil melodic death metal.But not even close to the greatness of Heartwork and Gallery.

Nothing At The Gates have made has been particularly evil (except maybe their debut EP), and this album is certainly not aggressive. If this comment was on one their earlier album's pages I would agree with it.

cool opinions
09.04.2013 - 20:26
Rating: 8
bblitz

Evil metal should be new genre in music...:devil:
17.02.2014 - 09:18
Rating: 7
NorthernDickhead

Written by bblitz on 09.04.2013 at 20:26

Evil metal should be new genre in music...:devil:

Evil?...this?....................................
11.08.2014 - 14:07
MichaelAngeloT

Indeed overrated album... i've listened to it many times and the i finally realized how average this album is... the only reason i rated it with 7 is cause i have respect for the band and especially for some of its members
11.08.2014 - 14:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by MichaelAngeloT on 11.08.2014 at 14:07

Indeed overrated album... i've listened to it many times and the i finally realized how average this album is... the only reason i rated it with 8 is cause i have respect for the band and especially for some of its members

You say you find it averaage (which would be a 6), you say you rated it 8, but it clearly says 7 under your name
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2014 - 14:29
MichaelAngeloT

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2014 at 14:25

Indeed overrated album... i've listened to it many times and the i finally realized how average this album is... the only reason i rated it with 8 is cause i have respect for the band and especially for some of its members

You say you find it averaage (which would be a 6), you say you rated it 8, but it clearly says 7 under your name

i made a mistake dude, i meant (7) !!!! average (6) + (1) for the respect i have for Bjorler brothers = (7)
11.08.2014 - 14:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by MichaelAngeloT on 11.08.2014 at 14:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2014 at 14:25

i made a mistake dude, i meant (7) !!!! average (6) + (1) for the respect i have for Bjorler brothers = (7)

Aha that explains it
Respect for people don't gain them a bonus point in my books
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2014 - 14:37
MichaelAngeloT

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2014 at 14:31

Aha that explains it
Respect for people don't gain them a bonus point in my books

yeh i get you, normally i dont rate albums by respect but this time i think it deserves it cause these two are big musicians
21.10.2014 - 04:28
razerjack

Near perfect album for me, though I could also see why it's a bit bland for some.
This and Heartwork are both 10s in my book.
27.12.2014 - 14:58
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
One of the most overrated albums of all-time. An 'ok' album but The Gallery or The Jester Race are miles better.
27.12.2014 - 15:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 27.12.2014 at 14:58

One of the most overrated albums of all-time. An 'ok' album but The Gallery or The Jester Race are miles better.

When you consider how influential this album is for modern day (melodic) metalcore it's safe to say this album isn't really overrated.
27.12.2014 - 15:05
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 27.12.2014 at 15:02

Written by Hex_Omega on 27.12.2014 at 14:58

When you consider how influential this album is for modern day (melodic) metalcore it's safe to this album isn't really overrated.

Because of that fact I don't like this album even more.
27.12.2014 - 15:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 27.12.2014 at 15:05

Well that's your prerogative, but that alone doesn't make it overrated =P I much prefer Jester Race and even more so, The Gallery, but it's not like those albums really inspired or influenced offshoot movements. In fact I can't think of any albums that really sound like The Gallery.
27.12.2014 - 15:18
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 27.12.2014 at 15:07

Written by Hex_Omega on 27.12.2014 at 15:05

Well that's your prerogative, but that alone doesn't make it overrated =P I much prefer Jester Race and even more so, The Gallery, but it's not like those albums really inspired or influenced offshoot movements. In fact I can't think of any albums that really sound like The Gallery.

I get your point, but on the other hand we shouldn't give a higher rate to the album just because it is influential. We should rate it as it is - musically.
27.12.2014 - 15:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 27.12.2014 at 15:18

I get your point, but on the other hand we shouldn't give a higher rate to the album just because it is influential. We should rate it as it is - musically.

Ratings are fine, but when you go down the "overrated" route it's sort of hard to justify it without comparing it to something at least vaguely measurable or observable, like influence. I would call Venom absolute dog shit musically but I wouldn't call them overrated (early works anyway) because of their influence.
27.12.2014 - 15:28
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 27.12.2014 at 15:23

Written by Hex_Omega on 27.12.2014 at 15:18

Ratings are fine, but when you go down the "overrated" route it's sort of hard to justify it without comparing it to something at least vaguely measurable or observable, like influence. I would call Venom absolute dog shit musically but I wouldn't call them overrated (early works anyway) because of their influence.

Yes, Venom is a good example. Very influential, but it doesn't mean that it is also very good.
27.12.2014 - 15:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 27.12.2014 at 15:28

Yes, Venom is a good example. Very influential, but it doesn't mean that it is also very good.

Indeed. I would say At The Gates are at least competent though, and manage some good variety across most of their albums.

I'd say the new AtG album is already overrated though. It's basically a poor man's rehash of this album in every way.
27.12.2014 - 16:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 27.12.2014 at 15:31

I'd say the new AtG album is already overrated though. It's basically a poor man's rehash of this album in every way.

Compare that one to Carcass - Surgical Steel Totally in the same ballpark when it comes to overratedness and it being a poor man's rehash of other albums of theirs in every way
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2014 - 16:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.12.2014 at 16:16

Compare that one to Carcass - Surgical Steel Totally in the same ballpark when it comes to overratedness and it being a poor man's rehash of other albums of theirs in every way

Couldn't agree more. I find it hard to believe that in a few years time anyone will give a crap about those albums. Instead people will just go back to talking about said band's "classic" albums.
18.11.2015 - 17:55
Joppe
Steelemeister
As a NOT huge fan of any ATG album I don't see this album much worse or better than their other highly appreciated albums. Sure this is different than the other stuff they've made, but many of the songs and the riffs still work here. Though why I wouldn't dare to rate this album any higher is due to the homogeneous nature that the majority of these songs have. Especially the beginning of the album sounds almost like same song over and over again.
----
My vision is augmented
07.04.2016 - 19:10
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
The most overrated melodeath album ever. It's far from The Gallery or The Jester Race or even Amon Amarth debut album.
17.11.2017 - 23:55
Liafev

Don't know why I still couldn't get into this one. Melodic Death has been my top genre for years now, and there's not many "big" names in the scene that I don't listen to. But each time I tried At The Gates, I quit after two tracks, feeling bored .. I don't see much aggressivity in this, except the drum blasts at times, and the melodies don't catch me that much ..

But hey, it took me years to appreciate some bands, maybe it'll come one day for this one. I just thought I'd give it a rating cause I feel I gave it enough tries to know I don't like it now, that's a low 7 for me now.
26.11.2017 - 03:34
TeachNThrash

The Slaughterlord cover on the re-release is great.
22.12.2017 - 15:14
RikkiTikiTavi

I hate this fucking album, such a disappointment from what previously came.
27.10.2018 - 16:10
Mountain King
K i K o
The music on this album is a close 9 to me however, the vocals ruin it. They are good when compared to other Melodeath bands however, I would definitely give this album a 9 if there was singer that uses the clean metal vocal style with only a few passages of growling in some songs. Personally I would give it a 9 if Russel Allen was singing on this one with his Iconoclast or kind of singing.
29.11.2018 - 13:04
Starvynth
i c deaf people
I have never been a big fan of ATG (never really liked Tompa's voice) but it's nice to see that the MS-majority seems to share my opinion that this is still their best album. "Blinded By Fear" is my favorite track.
----
signatures = SPAM
29.11.2018 - 15:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Their debut remains their best. 🙂
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.11.2018 - 16:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.11.2018 at 15:39

Their debut remains their best. 🙂

Qft.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.09.2019 - 22:44
Neronino

It used to be my favourite album, my gateway album to extreme metal. And its the reason why I became an ATG fan. But after I listened to it over and over again, I find out this is a simplified version of ATG, this band could do better than this (The Red In The Sky Is Ours). I never meant SotS is bad, its still one of my favorites. Though this album sounds cool, aggressive and demonic, it recycles the same idea during the whole album with standard rock music structure. Its relies on chorus to catch your ear. After hundreds times of listening, when I think of this album, the first thing come to my mind is (Slaughter of the soul! Suicidal final art!) or (Under a serpent sun! We shall all live as one!) or only the openning riffs of Blinded By Fear. Maybe some riffs and melody lines in different songs sound simmilar, chorus did more to make differences. The positive point of this is entirety of the album, but I prefer some different ideas. Song structure is basically the verse-chorus-solo formula. I dont want to admit it, but simple structure makes the music boring if you hear it a lot.
I like most of the things in this album, the vocal, the guitar tone, the drums, the riff style. Musically (if you listen it while driving or working), its a masterpiece. But to me, this is more like a commodity, not art, especially when I found out how good this band could be.
19.06.2020 - 23:45
ickoriss

The album that defined melodic death metal for me. Nothing overrated or bland about it.

Hits total: 33072 | This month: 130