+ Making of Was It Worth It?
+ Angels Don't Kill - Live at Bloodstock
+ Everytime I Die - Live at Bloodstock
+ The Rockhouse Method with Alexi Laiho - DVD trailer
+ The Rockhouse Method with Alexi Laiho - instructional DVD excerpt

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
Even before this album was released and before anyone could have heard a sound of it, quite everyone knew that this will not become an album worth a 10. Children Of Bodom have changed too much to return to the old awesome tunes. The band stated before the release of it that Relentless Reckless Forever would happen to be the best Bodom album ever. Blah blah the same shit a band always cries out for marketing, but in this case it even sounded ridiculous. I admit that I was one of those who decided not to spend money on this record. But now I am glad that I am not that firm with my principles in some cases! Expecting some Blooddrunk shit with only more party atmosphere it was a real surprise to me when I first listened to it.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Svneatr
Rating:
Imagine a man walking down the road, traveling right down the middle, never wavering, never stopping. Maybe it's dark out, a slight echo to his footsteps. All of a sudden, the man stops. His ears perk up for a second, shrugs it off and keeps right on walking. That is about as close as Children Of Bodom are on this record to returning to their classic sound.

Read more ››
published 14.03.2012 | Comments (31)

Found in 31 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 7

Comments: 196   Visited by: 1795 users
06.03.2011 - 10:10
Rating: 8
beyondtehdarksun

I definitely has some HCDR feel to it. I can't stop playing it on repeat... especially the title song. And "Was it worth it?" is a great song, after a couple of listens.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
06.03.2011 - 13:42
Rating: 3
morsus

If this is how they would sound at their early ages, they would have never grown famous
06.03.2011 - 21:30
This is better dan Blooddronk, that's sure. Maybe better dan AYDY?
07.03.2011 - 00:49
hadriel

Better than their last effort, but still bad.
07.03.2011 - 12:55
Rating: 7
Sword_Chant

So it's out tomorrow then? I love the first four albums....but this time it seems I could be wasting my money? Maybe I should download the leak first.
07.03.2011 - 16:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Okay, I've just finished listening to this, and after one listen, I will say it is definitely better than I was expecting. "Ugly" is the best song they've done in a very long time, COB at their finest! "Pussyfoot Miss Suicide" despite it's ridiculous title, is actually a decent song. lol I love it's mid-section, which features an enormous riff followed by a great solo. "Not My Funeral" is a good song too, and the last song "Northpole Throwdown" has a great thrash vibe, and I love the speed of it.

Im certainly pleasantly surprised by the album. It is a bit patchy, but they are still capable of writing some great stuff. xD

Edit: I still need to listen to the title track, as I was interrupted when I tried to listen to it the first time.
07.03.2011 - 23:21
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
It was certainly better than I expected, not exactly a return to the good old days, but a good album. I will not be surprised if this wins biggest surprise at the 2011 MS awards.
08.03.2011 - 00:04
Luneth
Account deleted
Expected worse, but it was allright. Nothing special, hope people don't claim that its CoB's return, as it really isn't. Being better than AYDY and Bloodrunk doesn't get them any prizes...
08.03.2011 - 00:12
Drunken Master
Account deleted
Never ever ever read the lyrics while listening to this, it turned a good album into a crappy album with some promises.

does Laiho write the lyrics in finnish and then translate it to english? or does he get drunk and make up shit?
08.03.2011 - 00:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 07.03.2011 at 23:21

It was certainly better than I expected, not exactly a return to the good old days, but a good album. I will not be surprised if this wins biggest surprise at the 2011 MS awards.

Yep, that's how I see it too! It is a good album. Some very average moments, some good moments, and isolated moments that hark back to the glory days. xD Its definitely better than I thought it was going to be.

As for Alexi's lyrics.... they've always been a bit silly really...
08.03.2011 - 02:43
Rating: 6
DLaiho

It's certanly better then blooddrunk and once i got passed the dumbass lyrics, song titles and the horrible quality on Alexi's vocals i kinda liked it. Its not great but it has it's moments.
08.03.2011 - 12:18
Fane

It would be a huge improvement if the album was listenable unlike Bloodrunk or AYDY. Thankfully I've the old albums, if my wish isn't fulfilled.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
08.03.2011 - 15:44
bodomroy

Just one listen but i can say it's above my expectations, i think the worst song is the single "was it....." and alexi's voice is getting worst in every album
08.03.2011 - 17:23
moe5512

Much better than i expected! there were some really great parts but also a lot of boring ones. I think it's similar to "are you dead yet" which is a good (/better) thing.
08.03.2011 - 17:45
I was expecting more actually, but few of the tracks were good
09.03.2011 - 00:47
MIXHELL

Better than Blooddrunk...8/10 rating
09.03.2011 - 04:36
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Better but blooddrunk yet still strangely just as forgettable. The songs didn't put me to sleep but they just didn't stick like Bodom's better albums. Not too sure if I would say this is better than "Are You Dead Yet", as although the album did take a certain musically ideological turn from its previous albums in being more "hooky" so to say, it did have some pretty good songs (the second half of sucked though). Only songs that really stuck out were ironically "Was it Worth It" and "Northpole Throwdown", which atleast equals blooddrunk in the amount of "good songs" but is overall better.
09.03.2011 - 16:50
Rozz

Written by Guest on 06.03.2011 at 08:20

Written by Rozz on 21.02.2011 at 04:02

Arghh how does one of my fav bands of all time go from epic to absolute shit! they hae one of the best line ups in finland and are producing shit like this, gave up on them afterblooddrunk but jeez they are getting worse. Americanized is what us Finn's are calling them

Why do non-American's think so lowly of Americans... Jealousy I predict, but thats not the topic at hand. As far as this CoB album, the songs I've heard of it are fine-catchy enjoyable somewhat pop-esque metal tunes. Nothing to die for, but nothing to hate on either.

Im not jelous of america at all im just saying this type of metal is made to sell in america not the world unfortunelty maybe im jelous becuase they wont make really good music like they used to and only make music americans like =(
09.03.2011 - 17:35
moe5512

Kinda ironic how so many said that this album will suck, now it got a rating on 7.6 which imo is really good.

to all anti-mainstream underground blackended black metal fans:
09.03.2011 - 17:47
beyondtehdarksun

Written by moe5512 on 09.03.2011 at 17:35

Kinda ironic how so many said that this album will suck, now it got a rating on 7.6 which imo is really good.

At MS, below 8 is really bad actually... for some reason
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
09.03.2011 - 17:48
MechanisT
Account deleted
I'm two tracks deep, and the first impression is that of a watered-down CoB. Not good by their standards...
Will make an opinion after fully-grasping it's nuances...

EDIT: What the f*** are they doing? Where's the blistering double-bass? On a more positive note, the guitarworks are excellent.
09.03.2011 - 18:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 09.03.2011 at 17:47

Not true. For the amount of criticsm COB get on MS, 7.5 on here is actually a very high rating for it. lol
09.03.2011 - 18:25
Rating: 9
Classic Bob G

I was honestly expecting another Blooddrunk, so my expectations were low. I really like the production job they did on this, it was the first thing I noticed (minus Alexi's vocals on Was it worth it. IT was a bit too much.) But I've bought way shittier albums than this one. This is by no means a step backwards, but it's at least a step in the right direction. The tracks are diverse enough to make me want to listen to this front to end, but it's not the same ol' shit I've heard before. It's a little bit of new, with a little bit of old. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I really enjoyed this album. It hit hard, it shredded harder.

Nice job boys.
09.03.2011 - 18:25
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 09.03.2011 at 17:47

Personally, when a new-ish album has a rating above 8.5 with more than 100 votes it catches my attention regardless of the genre. That usually shows there's probably at least something interesting going on.
10.03.2011 - 00:14
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.03.2011 at 18:13

For the amount of criticsm COB get on MS

For good reasons. This band is a pathetic joke.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.03.2011 - 00:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 10.03.2011 at 00:14
For good reasons. This band is a pathetic joke.

If I said I agreed with that, Id be lying and bandwagon jumping for it's own sake. You (and others) of course though, are free to think that if you wish. xD All I care about is the music, and I like some of the music on the new album.
10.03.2011 - 00:22
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 10.03.2011 at 00:19

All I care about is the music, and I like some of the music on the new album.

All I care is music. Problem is everything I ever heard from CoB after FTR sucked balls.
----
10.03.2011 - 00:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 10.03.2011 at 00:22
All I care is music. Problem is everything I ever heard from CoB after FTR sucked balls.

I would be being dishonest if I said that was my own personal thoughts. lol There's absolutely nothing wrong with you holding that opinion though.

The thing is, even though a lot of people think current COB sucks, there is a lot of disagreement about when they started "sucking". Some people agree with you, some people think HCDR was the last good album they did, some AYDY?. One guy I spoke to even said he hates everything they did after "Hatebreeder". lol So, even amongst the haters, there's no universal opinion on when they started "sucking". It differs depending on who you talk to. Me, I like a lot of stuff on the new album. I dont think it's overall amazing, but it's certainly better than I was expecting. What anyone else says about the album, doesn't concern me in the slightest. You're right, maybe the popular opinion is that they're "a joke", I just happen to disagree with that, purely on a musical basis, which is all that interests me.
10.03.2011 - 02:13
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 10.03.2011 at 00:31

I would be being dishonest if I said that was my own personal thoughts. lol There's absolutely nothing wrong with you holding that opinion though.

The thing is, even though a lot of people think current COB sucks, there is a lot of disagreement about when they started "sucking". Some people agree with you, some people think HCDR was the last good album they did, some AYDY?. One guy I spoke to even said he hates everything they did after "Hatebreeder". lol So, even amongst the haters, there's no universal opinion on when they started "sucking". It differs depending on who you talk to. Me, I like a lot of stuff on the new album. I dont think it's overall amazing, but it's certainly better than I was expecting. What anyone else says about the album, doesn't concern me in the slightest. You're right, maybe the popular opinion is that they're "a joke", I just happen to disagree with that, purely on a musical basis, which is all that interests me.

To tell the truth, I never liked the band. I don't even find their first 3 albums enjoyable. Only listenable.
For me, there are lots of bands so much better than CoB, I don't see any reason to loose my time with something so trite.

And I have this feeling about tons and tons of bands. My philosophy is life is too short to invest time in average at best bands, so focus on what you like the most.
----
10.03.2011 - 12:25
MechanisT
Account deleted

to all anti-mainstream underground blackended black metal fans:

The ironic part is that this song SUCKS!

Hits total: 40649 | This month: 58