+ Making of Was It Worth It?
+ Angels Don't Kill - Live at Bloodstock
+ Everytime I Die - Live at Bloodstock
+ The Rockhouse Method with Alexi Laiho - DVD trailer
+ The Rockhouse Method with Alexi Laiho - instructional DVD excerpt

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
Even before this album was released and before anyone could have heard a sound of it, quite everyone knew that this will not become an album worth a 10. Children Of Bodom have changed too much to return to the old awesome tunes. The band stated before the release of it that Relentless Reckless Forever would happen to be the best Bodom album ever. Blah blah the same shit a band always cries out for marketing, but in this case it even sounded ridiculous. I admit that I was one of those who decided not to spend money on this record. But now I am glad that I am not that firm with my principles in some cases! Expecting some Blooddrunk shit with only more party atmosphere it was a real surprise to me when I first listened to it.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Svneatr
Rating:
Imagine a man walking down the road, traveling right down the middle, never wavering, never stopping. Maybe it's dark out, a slight echo to his footsteps. All of a sudden, the man stops. His ears perk up for a second, shrugs it off and keeps right on walking. That is about as close as Children Of Bodom are on this record to returning to their classic sound.

Read more ››
published 14.03.2012 | Comments (31)

Found in 31 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 7

Comments: 196   Visited by: 1795 users
18.03.2011 - 21:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 18.03.2011 at 16:00
It's because you're a weird person. *laughs*

No, seriously now: it's because when music is targeted at teenagers and casual fans, it doesn't mean other persons who don't belong to these groups can't like it. It is not something exclusive. When it comes to tastes, it is more complicated than that.

Or maybe it's one of those instances when my elitism gets a bit far.

Haha, well, I guess I am a bit weird.

For me, how mainstream or how underground music is, the only factor I take into consideration, is whether I like it or not. Too many people care too much about what label a band/music has, and decide they hate it even without hearing it. Cos if they wish to be seen as "tr00", then they cannot like it. Or at least, they will not admit to liking it. lol
19.03.2011 - 00:03
Rating: 7
Sword_Chant
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.03.2011 at 21:12

Written by RavenKing on 18.03.2011 at 16:00
It's because you're a weird person. *laughs*

No, seriously now: it's because when music is targeted at teenagers and casual fans, it doesn't mean other persons who don't belong to these groups can't like it. It is not something exclusive. When it comes to tastes, it is more complicated than that.

Or maybe it's one of those instances when my elitism gets a bit far.

Haha, well, I guess I am a bit weird.

For me, how mainstream or how underground music is, the only factor I take into consideration, is whether I like it or not. Too many people care too much about what label a band/music has, and decide they hate it even without hearing it. Cos if they wish to be seen as "tr00", then they cannot like it. Or at least, they will not admit to liking it. lol

That is mostly true! Thats sorta how I work..i've never really considered myself a 'Tr00' fan at all - one of my favourite metal bands being Trivium surprisingly I kinda like the best of both worlds when each style its good moment, if that makes any sense (probably not!).

For me in Bodoms case its simply that the album overall just wasn't as good as the old days, in entirety (think I've mentioned it already on this thread somewhere ). even though theres a lot of riffs and sections I like in particular. Its not always the case, in fact most of the bands I like have been in top form recently nowadays more than ever. Which makes life good lol. Theres a lot of overall Ratings on MS i'd just never agree with. A lot of overrated stuff, at the same time a lot of underrated work
19.03.2011 - 14:22
Kubina91
Sweet album
19.03.2011 - 16:13
Rating: 8
Windrider
Raureif
I do not wanna compare it to the former albums, but I like it, it is quite good!
22.03.2011 - 06:04
stationarytravel
Account deleted
Laiho seriously needs to try something new. Worth just for the Eddie Murphy song. That stuff is groovy.
22.03.2011 - 13:51
They need to improve.......not so good as their early albums
22.03.2011 - 14:27
Not as good, but still quite good. Entertaining and way better than Blooddrunk, after all. It made me want to dig out their old albums, and listen to all of them in one go.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
23.03.2011 - 03:38
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
This album has actually grown on me. Didn't like AYDY or Blooddrunk and I totally lost interest in COB a couple of years ago, but this is Ok.
24.03.2011 - 17:09
Rating: 6
VloRD
An Mediocre album yet it is now topping the album charts....sigh
----
24.03.2011 - 20:24
Vikcen
Metálico
Mmm, some melodies and riffs remember to Megadeth.
01.04.2011 - 04:32
AkimHH
Almost good...
----
AkimHH
02.04.2011 - 13:24
Rating: 5
Eh...
04.04.2011 - 04:21
Winterthrone
Well IMO this is a very safe album for COB. nothing new, nothing really bad... I'll have to listen to it more to build up my opinion on this cd.
04.04.2011 - 19:45
Rating: 10
It's not better, it's the best!
----
Nichts ist unmöglich!
05.04.2011 - 16:09
Joey Filth
Definitely one of their weakest albums. It just didn't do it for me. But that's my opinion.
20.04.2011 - 23:53
Rating: 2
madrigal
COB is definitely dead, RIP
26.04.2011 - 20:00
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Judging by these comments, I'd say that the only thing that annoys me more than Bodom fanboys are Bodom haters.
Listening to Bodom's albums with a release date before you were into Bodom = this album rules
Bodom gets a new album out = this is not as good as the old stuff.
Bodom changes something = BLASPHEMYYYY!!! Mainstreaaaaam!
Bodom issues an album a little bit in the old vein = 'ain't bad but can't touch Hatebreeder', 'doesn't hook as much as the old stuff', 'nothing really new or interesting'....
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.04.2011 - 12:56
Being a fan of "old Bodom" I am enjoying this album a lot. It has surprised me, I was expecting something much worse. Their best job since the HCDR days. This is the way they should have done the prevous two: new-bodom that sounds great, some elements that remind me of the older stuff and even new things to explore like the thrashy riffs in Northpole Throwdown. I am very pleased with this album.
02.05.2011 - 18:52
John Shock
I like old bodom style! With blast beats and all, but i really prefer Hate Crew time than old and recent times, surelly! But still, Relentless Reckless Forever is a good album! A bit disaponting in 2 or 3 songs but, i like it! Much more than "Are You Dead Yet?" album! For me AYDY is the weakest album COB done so far!
12.05.2011 - 16:40
BloodFireDeath
Yes this album is targeted at 14 year old boys whose skateboard. Nothing wrong with that. That is just not me. Its funny that this band went from writing decent and mildly mature music to juvenile music.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
20.05.2011 - 06:47
Grody2themax
Bodom used to be my favorite band back when I was first getting into metal and I'll still occasionally play some Hatebreeder and love it. This album though, I dont even know why I bought it. I haven't even listened to the whole thing through once and I've had it for over a month. I was just bored after the first two songs after I put it into my car cd player. I'll have to listen to it full way through though. Im not expecting to be blown away, but hopefully it will be entertaining.

Written by BloodFireDeath on 12.05.2011 at 16:40

Yes this album is targeted at 14 year old boys whose skateboard. Nothing wrong with that. That is just not me. Its funny that this band went from writing decent and mildly mature music to juvenile music.

Ah, its funny how I see all this stereotype on skateboarding because of Cobs new music video. I've been skating since before I even started listening to metal really. Go to a skatepark on a random weekday night and you'll probably see a bunch of rad people in their 20's doing some crazy shit. There are a lot of annoying 14 yr old skaters who I could see giving skating a bad name, but the act of skating can be comparatively as liberating as listening to metal or music in general. If you really get into skating, it can get really cult like the metal genre as well. Around the US east coast where I live theres a skate deck company called RAW which not surprisingly a really "raw" company. This is very similar to the common critique some people make on metal, claiming it to be overproduced, or "plastic". I could go on, but I just feel like some metalheads often make the assumption that all skaters are just whiny 14 yr old scene kids, when in reality the the essence of it is so similar to metal.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who skates a lot and is really into metal though.
20.05.2011 - 18:22
BloodFireDeath
Written by Grody2themax on 20.05.2011 at 06:47

Bodom used to be my favorite band back when I was first getting into metal and I'll still occasionally play some Hatebreeder and love it. This album though, I dont even know why I bought it. I haven't even listened to the whole thing through once and I've had it for over a month. I was just bored after the first two songs after I put it into my car cd player. I'll have to listen to it full way through though. Im not expecting to be blown away, but hopefully it will be entertaining.

Written by BloodFireDeath on 12.05.2011 at 16:40

Ah, its funny how I see all this stereotype on skateboarding because of Cobs new music video. I've been skating since before I even started listening to metal really. Go to a skatepark on a random weekday night and you'll probably see a bunch of rad people in their 20's doing some crazy shit. There are a lot of annoying 14 yr old skaters who I could see giving skating a bad name, but the act of skating can be comparatively as liberating as listening to metal or music in general. If you really get into skating, it can get really cult like the metal genre as well. Around the US east coast where I live theres a skate deck company called RAW which not surprisingly a really "raw" company. This is very similar to the common critique some people make on metal, claiming it to be overproduced, or "plastic". I could go on, but I just feel like some metalheads often make the assumption that all skaters are just whiny 14 yr old scene kids, when in reality the the essence of it is so similar to metal.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who skates a lot and is really into metal though.

Well no I wasn't saying anything bad about skateboarders. Yes I did use the word juvenile but that was more targeted at COB because their lyrics have been well sort of ridiculous and inane. As for skateboarders, they can do things that I could never do in a million years. I could never have the balance to ride one in a straight line let alone do anything else. Yes I was kind of stereotyping due to their recent music video, but that was only fueled by the fact that the last three tours Ive seen with COB there have been mostly early teens at the show. Nothing against 14 year old skateboarders as my previous statement might have made it seem I just feel like I have been overlooked by COB as a viable demographic and I feel kind of cheated hahaha. Also not being a skateboarder and saying things like that were on my part rather bogus so hahahaha. Also it seems that 14 year old whiny scene kids have been ruining a lot lately hahaha.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
24.05.2011 - 18:33
nymanizeri
Maybe not the best album after all.. But I still liked it, the album release gig in Finland [The Ugly world tour 2011] was amazing ! Even when Alexi messed up with "was it worth it"
03.06.2011 - 00:15
Urizen367
Though this is better than "dead yet" and "blooddrunk", this coulda been ten times better if they spend maybe...5 minutes more in the writing process. stop doing coke alexi
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
05.06.2011 - 00:41
Veil of Maya
I'm really debating whether I should rate this album with everything already being said a million times. O well, here goes nothing.

Children of Bodom has always been one of those bands which have held a special place in my heart. From day one it was love at first riff. Prior to the release of this album, I listened to the entire discography wondering what I might expect. I really hoped that it would turn out like Blooddrunk (yes, most of you will stop reading from this point) because face it, we can't anticipate a return to the 'Something wild' days any time soon. I know an album like Blooddrunk cannot be compared with a masterpiece such as 'Follow the Reaper' but I still think it had strong riffs, good build ups, and a raw overall sound. Most of you disagree with this, but it's just my opinion towards the album. Then I got my first taste of 'Relentless, Reckless Forever'

At first glance, I felt the album title felt a bit strange compared to the usual death, hate and destruction titles, but there we go. Then I went on to listen to the first released track 'was it worth it'. First thoughts were "what the actual fuck". Weird voice effects, no real 'epic' build up and a lot of studio production which reminds me of Bullet for my Valentine. I read that it was apparently classed as one of the 'lighter' songs of the album, so I still had hopes for the album turning out really well. Then I listened to the full album?. and my hopes for an instant classic were thrown out of the window.

I kept on searching for this build up and 'release of energy' if you will (I have no better way of describing such a vague concept), which is was able to find on practically every CoB album. I found it, at times, but it took me a long time to find it and seemed to be tucked away in a corner for nobody to see. It seems like the mind blowing creativity these guys had/have is just harder to find on this album. Most of the songs just very much alike to me, and Alexi's voice just doesn't cut it like it used to. Again, I appreciate the fact they are trying something new, but it just isn't working for me.

In all honesty, it isn't a bad album as in a CoB version of Virtual XI, but it's just an album which doesn't appeal to me when I compare it to their earlier work. Therefore, a meager 5 is given to this album.

Well there you have it, my honest opinion on Relentless, Reckless Forever. I know people are going to disagree with me, and dismiss my opinion as utter bullshit, do as you please. It's just my PERSONAL thought of the album.
10.06.2011 - 01:45
Gigantidild
You know, I still haven't read any comments as to what makes CoBs music so bad. All I'm reading is "hurr it doesn't sound like FTR!" I wish there was a smiley that looked like a down syndrome kid so I could show you all what you look like. If CoB released these albums under a different name, and no one knew it was them you all would be singing a different tune about that band that released AYDY.
10.06.2011 - 01:53
Gigantidild
Written by Rozz on 09.03.2011 at 16:50

Written by Guest on 06.03.2011 at 08:20

Written by Rozz on 21.02.2011 at 04:02

Arghh how does one of my fav bands of all time go from epic to absolute shit! they hae one of the best line ups in finland and are producing shit like this, gave up on them afterblooddrunk but jeez they are getting worse. Americanized is what us Finn's are calling them

Why do non-American's think so lowly of Americans... Jealousy I predict, but thats not the topic at hand. As far as this CoB album, the songs I've heard of it are fine-catchy enjoyable somewhat pop-esque metal tunes. Nothing to die for, but nothing to hate on either.

Im not jelous of america at all im just saying this type of metal is made to sell in america not the world unfortunelty maybe im jelous becuase they wont make really good music like they used to and only make music americans like =(

Charles Michael Schuldiner
Yall don't know shit about americans and metal.
10.06.2011 - 02:25
Gigantidild
The only reason this isn't my favorite album of 2011 is because Omnivium is and Necrophagist, Control Denied, and Wintersun albums haven't come out yet! haha

Honestly there is absolutely nothing wrong with this album IMHO other than Jaska's drumming. The Drum parts seem to be lacking the flare that Jaska used to have (listen to his parts on 'the nail' ZOMG <3<3) and I hate the sound of the drums on the album. Seeing how I'm not a drummer I can overlook this and appreciate that awesome guitar/synth work. As soon as I heard the small clip of Shovel Knockout I knew they were heading for a more HCDR FTR kinda sound with the solos. The riffs are just as amazing as well. What you fail to realize is that some of you don't play guitar and cannot appreciate the music as much. Not being a prick, just being rational. When you have a good understanding of the instrument being played you gain a better appreciation for the music. Takes talent to know talent, blah blah blah.
10.06.2011 - 08:29
Litany666
Are You Dead Yet was better than this !
10.06.2011 - 16:13
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Litany666 on 10.06.2011 at 08:29

Are You Dead Yet was better than this !

No, "Are You Dead Yet" have two songs (or three at most), "Relentless Reckless Forever" is quite more solid as a whole.

Hits total: 40656 | This month: 65