08. Derelict Herds [bonus]
09. Bridge Of Sighs [Robin Trower cover] [bonus]
10. Den Ständiga Resan [Marie Fredriksson cover] [bonus]
+ Rehearsal Tapes [documentary]

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2008
Top 20 albums of 2008: 11
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Fascination Street Studios during the Winter of 2006/2007.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Bogren.
Mixed by Jens Bogren and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mastered by Jens Bogren.
Photography by Opeth.
Artwork Design by Travis Smith.

Collector's Edition CD:
- The digipak includes a bonus disc which includes a 5.1 audio mix of the entire album with three bonus tracks, extensive video content, and expanded artwork.

Double green 2-LP:
- Reissued only for the Record Store Day of 2014.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Every time Swedish masters Opeth release a new album, expectations from their hordes of fans are very high. This time around, with the departure of two very influential long-time members, their new record Watershed could have been the end of an era. However, Watershed is yet another tour de force performance from Opeth.

Read more ››
published 22.08.2008 | Comments (105)

Found in 92 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 87   Visited by: 2417 users
05.03.2010 - 19:38
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
I love the melancholia on this one...prolly makes it my fave opeth
05.03.2010 - 22:11
Reza
Account deleted
It's my second favorite Opeth album after Still Life.
23.06.2010 - 22:21
Rating: 6
slayercult

Ghost Reveries is way better than this, Opeth needs to make up for this crap! Well maybe I am being a little hard on em' This is they're worst album. BlackwaterPark and Ghost Reveries are amazing every Fuckin track 1-8, Watershed is Boring.
23.06.2010 - 23:55
Fëanor

Previous poster obv. has no idea what he is talking about.

Good album. Maybe it's just me but some parts remind me of My Arms Your Hearse.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
15.10.2010 - 08:21
Rating: 10
Trismegistus

Watershed to me, was an absolute amazing album. A big part of that may just be because I was completely shocked, having expected "crap" with a new lineup. But, all in all, it rates right alongside Blackwater Park for my top album by this band. Well done.
16.10.2010 - 00:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Fëanor on 23.06.2010 at 23:55

Previous poster obv. has no idea what he is talking about.

Good album. Maybe it's just me but some parts remind me of My Arms Your Hearse.

I didn't get the MAYH vibe. But it's an interesting view, why does it remind you of that album?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.10.2010 - 00:59
Elio
Red Nightmare
Awesome album, but well, which Opeth album isn't great after all?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
19.10.2010 - 01:58
Rating: 5
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Elio on 17.10.2010 at 00:59

This one.

Seriously. It feels like they ditched the cool atmosphere they had in older albums for the sake of technicality. I think it's got a lot to do with the new guitarist, but it just doesn't sound like the Opeth I enjoy.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.10.2010 - 09:52
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 19.10.2010 at 01:58

Written by Elio on 17.10.2010 at 00:59

This one.

Seriously. It feels like they ditched the cool atmosphere they had in older albums for the sake of technicality. I think it's got a lot to do with the new guitarist, but it just doesn't sound like the Opeth I enjoy.

That's true too, surely this album lacks the grim atmosphere that an album like MAYH had, but as 70s-prog rock fan, I enjoyed the high number of references to bands like Pink Floyd.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.11.2010 - 23:23
vangosh

I love this record!!!!!!!

"The Lotus Eater" and "Hex Omega", just incredible live songs, one of their best stuff!
20.12.2010 - 10:22
mz

'I think blood bath is destroying opeth .growl parts aren't enough perhaps because they are lent to BB
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
11.01.2011 - 01:57
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Album's Solid, probably the best album of theirs I've heard so far.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
01.02.2011 - 09:30
Bitch Boy

The melodic stuff in this one is amazing
31.03.2011 - 20:10
Rating: 8
AndreOliveira

Beautiful album...
01.06.2011 - 06:53
SymphonyImpaled

It's true that this album isn't as depressive and atmopheric as past albums but it fixes a problem i always had with Opeth; While the acoustic and clean vocal sections have always been top notch, their ability to make a decent metal riff has always been well below par. On this album Opeth Doesn't have nearly enough jazzy, progresssive moments but instead is now pumping out metal riffs like they never could... I think it's a wonderful step up for them. Maybe on an upcoming album they'll weave the dark and eery with some decent metal intensity for something as groundbreaking, yet better, than blackwater park.
29.06.2011 - 02:41
Metal_4Ever

Awesome!! I loved Burden(best solo ever)
29.06.2011 - 15:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I wouldn't say best solo ever...
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.07.2011 - 15:05
Death_95

One of the best albums ever made...Their best after Blackwater Park.
21.08.2011 - 18:56
tuerda

One of the things I liked about Opeth was the way the production made the awesome riffs stand out with such clarity. This time around it sounds dirtier and messier, with less focus on the riffs. It's not necessarily a bad thing, since the atmospheric element is stronger, but I never managed to get into it as much as previous albums. Maybe I need to give it another shot
25.08.2011 - 09:52
FREDD
Account deleted
Am I the only one who thinks that this album is average?
25.08.2011 - 13:07
Rating: 5
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 09:52

I would say I'm with you on that one, but I'd be lying; I think it's below-average.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.08.2011 - 13:24
FREDD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 25.08.2011 at 13:07

I would say I'm with you on that one, but I'd be lying; I think it's below-average.

When it came out, I gave (would've) it a 5 or 6, but then I've given it a couple more spins and 7 seems more fair.
25.08.2011 - 13:25
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Written by Doc G. on 25.08.2011 at 13:07

We are three now. On it's own is an ok album but compared to everything else they have done before... it's meh to say the least for not using the word "lackluster"... I still can't get how a staff member gave this album a 9,1 tbh. Even if you think it's good. It doesn't deserve more than a 8 or something like that.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2011 - 14:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2011 at 13:25

We are three now. On it's own is an ok album but compared to everything else they have done before... it's meh to say the least for not using the word "lackluster"... I still can't get how a staff member gave this album a 9,1 tbh. Even if you think it's good. It doesn't deserve more than a 8 or something like that.

Well I'd give this album at least a 9 if I was reviewing it ;]
25.08.2011 - 14:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 14:42

You can enlight me then... (I'm not being sarcastic btw) because this review doesn't really justify the rating to me. It doesn't give me any big reason to why this album is excellent.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2011 - 15:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2011 at 14:48

Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 14:42

You can enlight me then... (I'm not being sarcastic btw) because this review doesn't really justify the rating to me. It doesn't give me any big reason to why this album is excellent.

Well not to get too personal or anything but you've stated on a number of occasions that modern Opeth means very little to you so I would surmise no review of this album will sway you. If your feelings about a particular band are strong enough then that's just how you're going to feel. Frankly I'm on the other side of the fence and don't understand how people can't regard this highly. It's just one of those things and as far as I can see it this is the most successful Opeth album along with Blackwater park.
25.08.2011 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 15:22

Well not to get too personal or anything but you've stated on a number of occasions that modern Opeth means very little to you so I would surmise no review of this album will sway you. If your feelings about a particular band are strong enough then that's just how you're going to feel. Frankly I'm on the other side of the fence and don't understand how people can't regard this highly. It's just one of those things and as far as I can see it this is the most successful Opeth album along with Blackwater park.

I said what I said because I've been trying to get into this album hundrends of times and I still do, I fail almost everytime though. I keep on trying because their music meant a lot to me and it's kind of sad that all of a sudden everything went meh and I honestly don't know why.
So yeah, that's why I asked you why YOU like the album, what's there to like that I might have completely ignored.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2011 - 17:23
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 15:22

Well not to get too personal or anything but you've stated on a number of occasions that modern Opeth means very little to you so I would surmise no review of this album will sway you. If your feelings about a particular band are strong enough then that's just how you're going to feel. Frankly I'm on the other side of them fence and don't understand how people can't regard this highly. It's just one of those things and as far as I can see it this is the most successful Opeth album along with Blackwater park.

To me this album is in many ways the opposite of Blackwater Park (of course two opposites can both be good) in that the songs-structures are arbitrary, both the acoustic parts and the heavy parts come and go randomly and don't really fit together or aren't really connected. You could slice the songs up and then fit the parts together however you wanted and you'd get an album that was just as good or just as bad. On BWP the songs felt whole, felt complete.
I also find myself easily bored with some of the songs on Watershed, which is something that almost never happened before (a couple of tracks on Damnation and Ghost Reveires maybe). Watershed almost sounded to me like another band trying to do something Opethian minus the atmosphere, but not doing it very successfully.
25.08.2011 - 17:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 17:23

To me this album is in many ways the opposite of Blackwater Park (of course two opposites can both be good) in that the songs-structures are arbitrary, both the acoustic parts and the heavy parts come and go randomly and don't really fit together or aren't really connected. You could slice the songs up and then fit the parts together however you wanted and you'd get an album that was just as good or just as bad. On BWP the songs felt whole, felt complete.
I also find myself easily bored with some of the songs on Watershed, which is something that almost never happened before (a couple of tracks on Damnation and Ghost Reveires maybe). Watershed almost sounded to me like another band trying to do something Opethian minus the atmosphere, but not doing it very successfully.

Well I'm too familiar with this record to be able to give any real insight into that, as to me I know this record quite literally like the back of my hand so naturally I feel the songs flow perfectly naturally. None of the songs on this album bore me (unlike the title track from BwP), in fact unlike a lot of albums I never skip to a particular song to just to listen to that, rather I feel like the whole thing is one long song (I'd be no good in telling what part if from what song).
25.08.2011 - 17:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2011 at 17:13

I said what I said because I've been trying to get into this album hundrends of times and I still do, I fail almost everytime though. I keep on trying because their music meant a lot to me and it's kind of sad that all of a sudden everything went meh and I honestly don't know why.
So yeah, that's why I asked you why YOU like the album, what's there to like that I might have completely ignored.

I wouldn't know where to being in convincing you, from the epic intro to the glorious end. Just because is record is good doesn't mean it's good to everyone. I think everyone has bands they only like a particular era from, and it's that love that can prevent liking other eras of the same band.

Hits total: 40581 | This month: 66