Cille Svenson - additional vocals
Ragne Wahlquist - keyboards

Additional info
Recorded at Thunderload Studios.
Produced by Candlemass.

Guest review by
marco
Rating:
The classic Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was the first doom metal album ever and set the standard that many bands have tried to cover for years while Candlemass still produced quality doom metal. And this is the only album where Johan Lanquist is the lead singer.

This masterpiece opens up with the suicidal 'Solitude'. One of the most depressing songs in metal history. The melody is beautiful and the atmospheric guitar riffs are just divine while the lyrics take to you a another world: the world of Candlemass or to your own black universe filled with fear and anger. The second song 'Demon's Gate' is the same material but a bit slower song. Technicly speaking the whole album is slow and full of melodies. 'Crystal Ball' follows exactly the same while having a slow melodic rhythm. The follow-up 'Black Stone Wielder' is a bit ?happier? song on this dark album. When you close you're eyes then you might notice a slight similarity with some classic masterminds like Wagner.

Read more ››
published 10.09.2003 | Comments (23)

In 1986, when every band tried their hardest to be faster than the rest, Candlemass showed the world that the words 'heavy' and 'speed' don't always have to go together. The low end, the deep sound, and the darkness brought by the hand of doom was unparalleled on Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and remains like that up to this day. Nothing has ever come close to the sheer brilliance of this album in 35 years. More classic than the classics. More epic than the epics.

Doom. Metal. Perfection.

"Earth to earth
Ashes to ashes
Dust to dust
And please let me die in solitude..."

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 1593 users
07.04.2010 - 18:32
Rating: 10
Growing
They took that supernatural feeling from Sabbath's music and made more awesome.
07.04.2010 - 20:31
soadbyob
Account deleted
Doom Metal perfected, EPIC!!!
18.04.2010 - 00:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Absolutely heavy, catchy, OVER THE TOP and EPIC as FUCK. there aren't enough CAPS characters i could type to express how i feel about this album. by far the best debut album i've ever heard.
04.03.2012 - 22:02
Rating: 9
Korah
Just epic! Very good debut album.
----
Don't cry for my English
26.05.2012 - 19:28
Oaken
Hipster
So damn catchy. Especially those solos. I want more stuff like this.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
16.06.2012 - 19:20
musicalkaratekid
This album is just classic. In a year where thrash and heavy metal seemed to reign supreme, 'Epicus...' was showing the world that doom metal shouldn't have been forgotten at all.
05.07.2012 - 16:57
Erik M.
This album totally blew me away, especially its last 3 tracks. Never expected this band to be this good, as I also own Nightfall, which I think is very good, but nowhere near the epicness of this album.
26.08.2012 - 05:44
Lit.
Account deleted
This album is a monster and the undoubtedly best doom album. A Sorcerer's Pledge is so hauntingly beautiful, especially that vocalization at the end. So glad I sprang for the deluxe.
13.09.2012 - 19:14
Uldreth
I can't stop listening to this album :/
08.03.2013 - 02:43
popmik
Just one word can describe this album... Epic!
10.03.2013 - 10:56
bkrownd
Why isn't the pre-Candlemass band Nemesis listed on this site?
26.05.2013 - 18:00
Such an good album.
20.11.2013 - 10:13
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Reality03 on 25.09.2013 at 22:42

Perfection in every way possible.

your vote.....
21.11.2013 - 00:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Reality03 on 20.11.2013 at 21:46

It was a 10 but ive changed it. I hardly ever rate Albums with a 10, so maybe "perfection" wasnt the acurate word for this one. Its still the best Doom metal Album.

Nah, thinking about it I don't agree with the rating tags anyway since an album can be perfect yet not worthy of a 10
07.12.2013 - 18:15
Erik M.
Written by LeKiwi on 21.11.2013 at 00:19

Nah, thinking about it I don't agree with the rating tags anyway since an album can be perfect yet not worthy of a 10

Wtf?! That simply doesn't make sense AT ALL. When an album is perfect (subjectively, because there is no objectively perfect album!) it is of course worthy of a 10. But an album is NEVER perfect, therefore it's never worthy of a 10.0 rating. It baffles me how you would think a perfect album (which doesn't exist) can not be worthy of a 10, since perfection is the best there is, because it equals 100% and nothing less.
07.12.2013 - 18:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Erik M. on 07.12.2013 at 18:15

Wtf?! That simply doesn't make sense AT ALL. When an album is perfect (subjectively, because there is no objectively perfect album!) it is of course worthy of a 10. But an album is NEVER perfect, therefore it's never worthy of a 10.0 rating. It baffles me how you would think a perfect album (which doesn't exist) can not be worthy of a 10, since perfection is the best there is, because it equals 100% and nothing less.

I've already explained the concept of perfection in a previous thread:
Quote:
Perfection is subjective, however, the way I perceive it there are two varieties of "perfection" with regard to music. There is that which is perfect in that the gap between the intention and expectation and perception is non-existant; in this respect there can exist a perfect, mediocre album. The other is a more comprehensive and subjective: does the listener perceive it as an epitome of top-grade material - is it subjectively a masterpiece?

So yes, perfect albums exist and not all of them are worthy of a 10.

Edit: I sense a deluge of disagreement.
07.12.2013 - 18:38
Erik M.
Written by LeKiwi on 07.12.2013 at 18:19

I've already explained the concept of perfection in a previous thread:
Quote:
Perfection is subjective, however, the way I perceive it there are two varieties of "perfection" with regard to music. There is that which is perfect in that the gap between the intention and expectation and perception is non-existant; in this respect there can exist a perfect, mediocre album. The other is a more comprehensive and subjective: does the listener perceive it as an epitome of top-grade material - is it subjectively a masterpiece?

So yes, perfect albums exist and not all of them are worthy of a 10.

Music is never 100% objective, therefore an album can never be perfect objectively. While that's clear now, subjectively it might be possible for someone to regard an album as "perfect", but I highly doubt it because perfection means you have literally no complaint whatsoever about the album, meaning you wouldn't change even the smallest thing of an album if you could. If one would truly think a "perfect" album exists, then the definition should be just that. BUT there's always some minor detail in the music that you don't like, so it isn't perfect.

And for the 100th damn time (I've said this many times, not just to you): a masterpiece doesn't need to be "perfect" to be called a masterpiece. A masterpiece is an album that is subjectively brilliant to the listener and like you said "an epitome of top-grade material" but again: it's never perfect. Perfection equals 100%, remember that. My opinion is that the word "perfect" simply cannot be used when it comes to art (music, movies etc.).
07.12.2013 - 18:48
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Erik M. on 07.12.2013 at 18:38

Music is never 100% objective, therefore an album can never be perfect objectively. While that's clear now, subjectively it might be possible for someone to regard an album as "perfect", but I highly doubt it because perfection means you have literally no complaint whatsoever about the album, meaning you wouldn't change even the smallest thing of an album if you could. If one would truly think a "perfect" album exists, then the definition should be just that. BUT there's always some minor detail in the music that you don't like, so it isn't perfect.

And for the 100th damn time (I've said this many times, not just to you): a masterpiece doesn't need to be "perfect" to be called a masterpiece. A masterpiece is an album that is subjectively brilliant to the listener and like you said "an epitome of top-grade material" but again: it's never perfect. Perfection equals 100%, remember that. My opinion is that the word "perfect" simply cannot be used when it comes to art (music, movies etc.).

I don't recall writing that music was objective, the criteria I've written are all purely subjective What you're missing out here is that one form of perfection is subject to expectations. Therefore if your expectations are low, you expect to have minute gripes with the album. It serves it purpose and, as such, is perfect. Also, don't you think that perfection exists in the eyes of the creator(s)? I'm certain that no musician of any degree of dignity would put out an album which wasn't to his/her utmost ability.
07.12.2013 - 22:02
Erik M.
Written by LeKiwi on 07.12.2013 at 18:48

I don't recall writing that music was objective, the criteria I've written are all purely subjective What you're missing out here is that one form of perfection is subject to expectations. Therefore if your expectations are low, you expect to have minute gripes with the album. It serves it purpose and, as such, is perfect. Also, don't you think that perfection exists in the eyes of the creator(s)? I'm certain that no musician of any degree of dignity would put out an album which wasn't to his/her utmost ability.

Well, I've always said that music is mostly subjective so it's partially objective as well. But fair enough, I guess I brought something not entirely relevant up, even though that's what I think of this matter. I'm not sure, but you could be right that perfection exists in the eyes of the creator. But maybe it's more satisfaction than perfection in their view. I mostly agree with your last sentence, because you said "musician of any degree of dignity". There are a lot of bands that simply release albums to make more money and so they care more about the money than about the quality of their music. But of course in the metal scene that doesn't happen as often as for example in the pop/rock scene.
07.12.2013 - 23:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Erik M. on 07.12.2013 at 22:02

Well, I've always said that music is mostly subjective so it's partially objective as well. But fair enough, I guess I brought something not entirely relevant up, even though that's what I think of this matter. I'm not sure, but you could be right that perfection exists in the eyes of the creator. But maybe it's more satisfaction than perfection in their view. I mostly agree with your last sentence, because you said "musician of any degree of dignity". There are a lot of bands that simply release albums to make more money and so they care more about the money than about the quality of their music. But of course in the metal scene that doesn't happen as often as for example in the pop/rock scene.

I think a good example would be a revivalist old school death metal band. They bring nothing new to the table, and no one expects them to. Thus it's the perfect OSDM band (or album.) Of course there will be those who think they are missing some elements or whatever, but considering there are countless listeners, one is bound to consider the effort perfect for its intentions. Just thought I'd say that since it illustrates what I think is one form of perfection.
25.04.2014 - 01:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Classic doom, a great amsterpiece ... all should learn from this band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.10.2014 - 21:55
Best Doom Metal album ever.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
13.08.2015 - 16:09
True Diamond. Great vocals and melodies. A classic one.
17.02.2017 - 00:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
An excellent masterpiece, epicness of doomness, simply can not gen enough of this, a band what never will die and maybe did more to doom metal what Black Sabbath after second album , make it more hifger as it was before. A brilliant band, and album
Songs stands out: Solitude, A Sorcerer's Pledge
----

apos;'
[image]
24.02.2017 - 10:37
Athropos
Burning inside
"666 have it"
13.02.2018 - 16:30
Metren
Dreadrealm
Listened to this album last night and again this morning. What a masterpiece, great songwriting, and performances from beginning to end. It's clear as day to me now that I need to get into doom, one of the genres I've overlooked for so long for some reason. This and Watching From A Distance make for an excellent introduction to the genre.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
18.04.2018 - 04:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Damn that intro riff to Solitude with the tom fill is UNREAL. Someone pass me my wizard cloak.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.03.2019 - 22:02
Chumb
The vocals a bit overproduced on parts of solitude and sorcerers... othervise:👌🏻
02.10.2019 - 21:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Kangaroo Jury on 01.10.2019 at 20:40

This album would have been inferior if the more theatrical Messiah was on vocals instead of the more substantial Johan.

well maybe, in underground, I dont think in general it would make some changes
----

apos;'
[image]
18.12.2019 - 01:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.08.2009 at 12:42
Totally agreed.
Hopefully I will be able to score a ticket to Roadburn 2010 because there they give a 2 hour gig and play EDM in its entirety featuring Johan on vocals.

The Icelandic volcano cancelled this set in 2010. But the following year, my first Roadburn, we both got to experience it. One of my first memories of you. Dear friend.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 27786 | This month: 93