Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2009 - Staff Picks Revealed!

Well, it is one week after your winners of the 2009 Metal Storm Awards were unveiled? you know what that means. It's time that we, the Metal Storm Staff, post up our winners.

We'd like to thank all the nominated bands for their efforts last year. There was a lot of good metal that we were able to enjoy. We spent the month of February listening to the nominees again and conducting our own polls. Some were runaway favorites whereas other genres had such tight competition that we required run-offs to determine a winner.

So we cordially invite you to tell us just how little we know about metal, how much our picks suck (or don't, if your tastes are similarly aligned)? you can do so here.

CategoryPick
Alternative Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Atmospheric/Symphonic Madder Mortem - Eight Ways
Black Deströyer 666 - Defiance
Death Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
Doom Process Of Guilt - Erosion
Extreme Doom Colosseum - Numquam
Gothic Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
Grindcore Brutal Truth - Evolution Through Revolution
Hard Rock Hardcore Superstar - Beg For It
Heavy 3 Inches Of Blood - Here Waits Thy Doom
Melodeath/Gothenburg Insomnium - Across The Dark
Metalcore Converge - Axe To Fall
Pagan/Viking/Folk Finsterforst - ...Zum Tode Hin
Post-Metal/Avantgarde Sólstafir - Köld
Power Sonata Arctica - The Days Of Grays
Progressive Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect
Sludge Ghost Brigade - Isolation Songs
Thrash Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
Cover song Leaves' Eyes - Scarborough Fair (Traditional English song)
Debut album Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Posted: 09.03.2010 by BitterCOld

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 43   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 730 users
09.03.2010 - 15:13
Zenzero
Zenzero
Sonata artica died after reckoning night! last 2 albums suck so much!
09.03.2010 - 15:20
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I'm glad that Finsterforst won, Ensiferum, Arkona and Týr were all pretty weak and only Finsterforst or Suidakra should win in that category, because both albums were really nice
09.03.2010 - 15:54
Abattoir

I'm very pleased with Hardcore Superstar pick in hard rock category, while they were only fourth by members pick...they desrved at least second if not even first place in my opinion
09.03.2010 - 17:08
Arrwyn

I just don't understand how Sonata's new album won for the Metal Storm Awards and Staff Picks. Mediocre at best... I strongly believe they are running out of ideas when I gave it a listen. =
09.03.2010 - 18:07
seafood

I'm glad that Madder Mortem won in atmospheric/symphonic.. but I hoped for Kalisia or Riverside to win in prog here. Well nevermind, maybe this will make me check BTBAM. I didn't like the songs I looked up on youtube mainly because of the metalcore-ish vocals, but may get used to it while listnening to the whole cd.
09.03.2010 - 18:41
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.03.2010 at 09:38

Written by Ragana on 08.03.2010 at 23:33

Man, I don't belong here. I've heard only two albums and nine bands of all.

You're mainstream

Wow, that hurt a lot. I haven't heard most of the last year's metal albums so I'm again just missing out the great fun of whining about the results. Last year I did the same thing, so I guess a new tradition has born - evaluating everything after the awards.
10.03.2010 - 02:55
AlvarUgo

What about Sacrifice's The Ones I Condemn guys how come nobody has realized it's supremacy
10.03.2010 - 02:56
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Quote:
Cover song Leaves' Eyes - Scarborough Fair (Traditional English song)

This may be one of the most overly-covered songs ever... I get a sick feeling every time I hear it.
10.03.2010 - 07:39
INÆRIS

Ghost Brigade is amazing!!!!!!!!
----
Still Life, Still Death
10.03.2010 - 11:02
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I Voted for, The Divinity of Oceans and now that I'm beginning to appreciate Colosseums, Numquam I'm left unsure
----
Coldgrits
10.03.2010 - 12:39
schwanderen

Written by BlankFile on 08.03.2010 at 23:08

Nice pick in the Power Metal category by the staff of Metal Storm. Sonata Arctica´s The Days of Grays was really a great release and certainly the best in that genre in 2009! Stay Metal

Check out While heaven wept - vast oceans lachrymose. Normally not power metal, but for me - greatest release in the metal world in 2009.
15.03.2010 - 15:09
Ewonian
Account deleted
Written by Zenzero on 09.03.2010 at 15:13

This, Reckoning Night was so badass, then... ugh... At least they changed their style and it's not the same shit over and over.

BTBAM getting prog award kinda shocked me, great misdirect didn't blow me away as much as Colors, but it was still a damn great album. I still listen to colors more than great misdirect...

Doom genres were chosen well also~
15.03.2010 - 16:51
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by Guest on 15.03.2010 at 15:09

Written by Zenzero on 09.03.2010 at 15:13

This, Reckoning Night was so badass, then... ugh... At least they changed their style and it's not the same shit over and over.

BTBAM getting prog award kinda shocked me, great misdirect didn't blow me away as much as Colors, but it was still a damn great album. I still listen to colors more than great misdirect...

Doom genres were chosen well also~

Edguy still do the same shit since the first album and i like it really much! sentenced (with lahila) did 5 equal shit albums and i like them! rhapsody do the same shit since the first album they now bore me!
nightwish change and i like them! sonata change and i think that their last 2 albums suck really much!
d'you know what i mean??

Hits total: 7183 | This month: 8