Metal Storm logo
Behemoth - Frontman Formally Charged For Bible Destruction

According to Interia.pl and GazetaPrawna.pl, vocalist/guitarist Adam "Nergal" Darski of Behemoth was formally charged on Monday (March 8) for insulting Roman Catholics.

As reported by Blabbermouth, Darski made headlines in his native country in September 2007 when he reportedly called the Catholic Church "the most murderous cult on the planet" during a Behemoth performance in Gdynia and tore up a copy of the Bible onstage (see video footage here).

After the incident, Ryszard Nowak, head of the All-Polish Committee for Defense Against Sects sued Behemoth for promoting Satanism. Although a court expert witness on religious matters said that the act of destroying the Holy Bible could offend somebody's religious feelings (a criminal offense under Polish law), the case was discontinued because no one except Nowak accused Behemoth of insulting their religious beliefs. (Under Polish law, there must be at least two formal complaints before a charge is laid. The previous complaint was made in 2008, and recently an unspecified number of other complaints had been filed.)

Nergal is pleading not guilty to the charge.

According to Metal As Fuck, in the first hearing, under cross examination, Darski stated what he does on stage is part of artistic license and it wasn't supposed to offend religious feelings. However, an expert on religious history and studies from Jagellonian University in Krakow stated that every copy of a bible could be considered a religious icon.

There was no judgment ruled against Darski in the first hearing, but now that a second complaint has been filed, the matter will be heard by the courts.

IF(!) found guilty, Darski faces up to 2 years in prison.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Behemoth
Posted: 09.03.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 141   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 591 users
09.03.2010 - 19:26
iMorphball
They're joking, right?

Do they have any idea how many bibles I'VE destroyed?
09.03.2010 - 19:33
soadbyob
Account deleted
Hell get off with nothing, they always do, and yes, the catholics church is a murderous cult, God would be ashamed of what theyve become
09.03.2010 - 19:44
silenius
Hahahah stupid catholic fucks xD
09.03.2010 - 19:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
All i can say is on one hand this is stupid enforcement of religious based laws.

on the other hand, PC basically forbids engaging in any activity which might be insulting to another group (be it race, religion, sexual preference), so while some might view this as an extension of evil theocracy, it's just a matter of time until PC dominated cultures treat similar "insulting" behaviors just as fiercely.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.03.2010 - 19:50
Mr.Wilson
Catholics are just like a little kid...they whine , whine , whine... =P
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
09.03.2010 - 19:56
Jiri
Might as well arrest all black metal bands as well.
09.03.2010 - 20:02
Feng
Written by Jiri on 09.03.2010 at 19:56

Might as well arrest all black metal bands as well.

Exactly... I'm sure much worse has been done than this in some parts of the black metal culture.
09.03.2010 - 20:12
RafaRata
2 years!!!??? NOOO
fucking catholics
who has respect for satanists and atheists?
hypocrites...
09.03.2010 - 20:13
Holy_Diver
Quote:
Nergal is pleading not guilty to the charge.
"Me? Destroying a bible?"
09.03.2010 - 20:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Piss on Poland. The anti-metal religious news this past year (2009-10) is just ridiculous. Artistic licensing was a pretty lawyer-esque statement. It appears Nergal is an educated man.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.03.2010 - 20:20
Metal Maiden
Megadead
"Cross examination", huh...Oh, the precious irony...Wonder if it's intentional, or rather refers to some ancient catholic means of torture, designed specifically for black metal musicians...LMAO...
09.03.2010 - 20:32
Dahalak
I remember the problem in 2004 with Gorgoroth and nothing happend then, so Why have to happen something now?
I really don't understand Poland, There is not freedom of cult?
09.03.2010 - 20:43
bard
That's pretty silly. The defense against sects? Protecting Poland against the spread of his ideas? I think they're hurting his 'religious feelings'.
----
09.03.2010 - 20:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well when you say gay(litheraly menaing) is gay, you're a criminal, when gay say we're idiots its not criminals where justice

but still band shood lil bit be ''polite'' , nobody dont try stop bands like Kat, Turbo and other metal bands wqho's anti social, but only extremly satanistic so they shood slow down , because I hear news 30 Lech Poznan football hools was busted in Poznan, and theys ay cops put drugs there and now they can get 10 years so... next might be whit singer because cant busted for this, bust for any other shity crime
Hope he get 2 years
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2010 - 21:01
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This is pretty lame but look on the bright side. If he's in prison for 2 years, that would be just in time for the next Behemoth album
09.03.2010 - 21:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Paradox0 on 09.03.2010 at 21:01

This is pretty lame but look on the bright side. If he's in prison for 2 years, that would be just in time for the next Behemoth album

Well Varg sit many many many years , Jon to and came out its time for Polish do it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2010 - 21:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Bet 100 bucks on ''nothing will actually happen'' o/
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.03.2010 - 21:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Poland...European Union...Earth...21st Century

WAKE UP, POLISH MEN AND WOMEN!!! WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.03.2010 - 21:35
Turin Turambar
Mormegil
Written by Ellrohir on 09.03.2010 at 21:25

Poland...European Union...Earth...21st Century

WAKE UP, POLISH MEN AND WOMEN!!! WAKE THE FUCK UP!!!

It's not polish men and women case or blame, typical politics bullshit. One religious fanatic as name NOWAK. It's only medial shit, nothing really happen and never happend
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYN2a81u8rE

"There Is No Beast Without Cruelty"
F.Nietzsche
09.03.2010 - 21:40
I_Die_Often
So what about people that torch heavy metal albums...
or way back to the Beatles?
I'M OFFENDED!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
09.03.2010 - 21:40
routa
Account deleted
Quote:

-- not guilty -- part of artistic license -- wasn't supposed to offend religious feelings --

:
09.03.2010 - 21:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think it is a bit untrue in case of Poland...you hear weird news about polish Catholics actions all the time...i remember the case, about a year old, when a 14-year old girl was pregnant and it was really threatening her life, so she was about to take an interruption, but was pursed by fanatic mob from hospital to hospital...or i have recently read about "improvement" in polish gymnasium - there is now "on-line register" for students who were in church, while being in the church works instead of some exams (and who not attended, has to do exams)...i could find more examples if i spend some time on it...
----

09.03.2010 - 21:41
whitepawel
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.03.2010 at 20:14

Piss on Poland. The anti-metal religious news this past year (2009-10) is just ridiculous. Artistic licensing was a pretty lawyer-esque statement. It appears Nergal is an educated man.

Dude, catholics and all other religious maniacs are a plague in many countries. Few "anti-metal" cases doesn't mean that Poland is the worst and most fucked up place on earth in this point. I'm polish and in fact I study law. And trust me, Nergal won't go to prison.

And now, I'm sending you a nice and cold beer mug hoping it will change Your attitude a little bit.
09.03.2010 - 21:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 09.03.2010 at 19:48

on the other hand, PC basically forbids engaging in any activity which might be insulting to another group (be it race, religion, sexual preference), so while some might view this as an extension of evil theocracy, it's just a matter of time until PC dominated cultures treat similar "insulting" behaviors just as fiercely.

I agree wholeheartedly.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
09.03.2010 - 21:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Is PC for "computers" or for "political correctness"?
----

09.03.2010 - 22:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 09.03.2010 at 21:54

Is PC for "computers" or for "political correctness"?

I think PC = Polish Committee. EDIT: that wouldn't make sense, but it's definitely not "computers".

Written by whitepawel on 09.03.2010 at 21:41

Dude, catholics and all other religious maniacs are a plague in many countries. Few "anti-metal" cases doesn't mean that Poland is the worst and most fucked up place on earth in this point. I'm polish and in fact I study law. And trust me, Nergal won't go to prison.

And now, I'm sending you a nice and cold beer mug hoping it will change Your attitude a little bit.

I don't hate Poland; in fact I don't hate any country. I do hate religious maniacs though. Piss on Poland was just a shot at that specific law concerning the legality of "offending" religious people.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.03.2010 - 22:24
YoreLore
That is completely embarrassing. I have insulted roman catholics a ridiculous amount of times...better not visit Poland
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
09.03.2010 - 22:26
Well, well, well,
law is law, whatever your beliefs is you have to respect other people beliefs, I am not saying that you can't say your opinion about a certain religion, but even If you wanna offend a certain belief you have to be respectable, and i don't think that destroying bible was respectable or reasonable it's just childish, and I don't think that a book has harmed anyone, therefore stay secularist and don't offend anyone especially when the law is not on you side,
and by the way there are a lot of Christians who listen to behemoth cuz they like the music. Religion has nothing to do with music, religion is personal....
I don't know what to say, but I guess that Behemoth should learn to be respectable more than that, and good luck for them, hope he doesn't go to jail....
09.03.2010 - 22:27
TheBigRossowski
This is quite absurd. As a symbolic acts, we's should totallies like all tear up the Bibles and films it.-Swisgaar

It's too bad we can't sue the Catholic Church for the molestation of innocent children...even though there have been WAY more than two complaints.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
09.03.2010 - 22:29
Sacred Viking
Its sick ahahah, how childish catholics can be xD

Hits total: 16620 | This month: 21