Style: Black metal
Release date: 2009

01. Insikter
02. Oroväckande Förlust Av Ett Förlorat Förstånd
03. Då Drömmen Dog, Dödade Dagen Dig
04. Livslusten For Med Vinden
05. Geväret Lades Fram, Processen Blev Kort
06. Innerlig Förmörkelse

Breaking news! Depressive Black metal is not dead! Joy to the world and beers all around! Ok, I'm not that excited, but it's good to know that, although the genre is massively bloated and boring nowadays, there are still a few bands out there that do it right. One of them is Sorgeldom, Innerlig Förmörkelse is their first and so far only feat of arms.

After a long, trebly intro in the form of the four minutes long "Insikter", the album really begins with "Oroväckande Förlust Av Ett Förlorat Förstånd". No clue what that means, but I doubt it means "Oh boy I'm just so happy!". A razor-sharp riff comes in, a catchy bass-lines rolls underneath and we're off with quite the Shining-esque start. Shining roughly in between their second and fourth album, mind you. It's all still very catchy once you're used to the sharp sound and their frequent use of calm parts and trebly instrumental sections. There's a lot more going on beneath the layer of distortion that meets the eye at first. "Geväret Lades Fram, Processen Blev Kort", available on MySpace, is a good example.

Vocally we're treated to something in between a growl and a shriek, almost like someone is very angrily growling through clenched teeth. At times I'd like them to be a little higher, but that's probably just me. I'd also like them to develop their proggy side more, as opposed to the lo-fi Depressive Black metal. Sorgeldom could become a big contender if they do, they sure have potential. The previously mentioned instrumentals are great, and so is the gloriously sounding ambient background near the end of the sixth track.

Although it slightly overstays its welcome at almost fifty minutes - emphasis on 'slightly' - it's a good record in general. Not terribly original, but fresh and skilfully arranged and executed. Sweden still is one of the most important countries for Black metal and we need to keep an eye on Sorgeldom.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 09.03.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 96 users
09.03.2010 - 19:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Sold. I'm just going to get everything you rate 8+ from now on.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.03.2010 - 19:46
silenius
Oroväckande Förlust Av Ett Förlorat Förstånd= concerning loss of a lost mind , great review, checking it out
10.03.2010 - 00:09
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I'm going to give this one a shot. Recently got back into black metal a few months ago. The genre is improving.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
15.03.2010 - 00:24
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Just listened to the whole thing. It's pretty tight although the production can be a tad better. Overall good album.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln

Hits total: 5142 | This month: 6