Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Riot 'Em All In Colombia

Violence and chaos broke out around Bogota's Simon Bolivar park last Wednesday night, when hundreds of frenzied fans tried to crash Metallica's first Colombian concert in eleven years.

Bogota's Regulatory Center of Emergency Services reported that four policemen and four civilians were hospitalized throughout the evening for cuts, lesions to the head and one fractured leg. One youth was stabbed with knife in the hand.

160 people were arrested and property was vandalized and destroyed, as ticketless fans tried to storm the venue in order to catch a glimpse of their "rock-god idols". Radio Santa Fe reported that prior to the concert, there were posts on social networking site Facebook inciting fans to crash the Metallica concert. Estimates of audience numbers by Colombian media sources oscillate wildly between 20,000 and 70,000.

Authorities implemented security measures as heavy as the band's music, with some 1,500 police employed to stand guard during the event, as well as four tanks and several police trucks. There were no reports in the Colombian media that the tanks had been deployed.

The Metallica riots are reminiscent of those that rocked Bogota during a concert by British heavy metal group Iron Maiden in March 2009.

Metallica last played in Colombia on May 2, 1999. To view their 2010 and 1999 playlists, click here.

Source: colombiareports.com
Band profile: Metallica
Event: Metallica: Latin American Tour
Posted: 12.03.2010 by Shadowcross

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 34   Visited by: 332 users
14.03.2010 - 03:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by tulkas on 13.03.2010 at 22:15

The riots just occurred outside the place where the concert was taking place, but inside it was all good, so don't worry about Jonas or anything. I wasn't able to go, such a shame, but they told me that it was amazing. It's a shame that because of a few uncivilized assholes all these things take place. And you want to hear the saddest bit of it all? Like a week or so before the concert, these assholes opened a group on facebook for all of those "who were going to try to get into the concert without having the ticket"

Indeed, the ones of us who were inside diin't know a thing. When wewere returning home one of the avenues (68th) was closed because of these assholes. Actually me and my cousinwere talking of how calm it all had been until we saw the news the morning after.
Sad thing is, media just shows the riots and completely forgets the concert. Another reason to be ashamed of beigng colombian.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
14.03.2010 - 12:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
More likely you should be ashamed, that they are colombians
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.03.2010 - 19:19
Andreas666

Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.

Slayer, Obituary, Exodus, Napalm Death, Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Helloween, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Opeth, Therion, Cradle Of Filth, Tristania, Testament, Motorhead, Megadeth, Carcass, Criminal, Fear Factory, Paradise Lost, Dark Tranquillity, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden...
All This Bands have actually played in Colombia and I've seen all of them (I'm sure I'm forgetting many others)
don't say things that you don't know for sure! Metal in Colombia is more than alive
15.03.2010 - 00:35
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Andreas666 on 14.03.2010 at 19:19

Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.

Slayer, Obituary, Exodus, Napalm Death, Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Helloween, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Opeth, Therion, Cradle Of Filth, Tristania, Testament, Motorhead, Megadeth, Carcass, Criminal, Fear Factory, Paradise Lost, Dark Tranquillity, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden...
All This Bands have actually played in Colombia and I've seen all of them (I'm sure I'm forgetting many others)
don't say things that you don't know for sure! Metal in Colombia is more than alive

Haha it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Hits total: 5093 | This month: 6