+ Sacred Worlds [video]
+ A Journey To The Edge Of Time (Studio Documentary) [video]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 14
Featured in "Getting Into: Blind Guardian"

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The bards have come out of the forest. Yes, the Blind Guardians are back baby! And did they ever do it in style. Surely one of the year's most anticipated albums, At The Edge Of Time is sure to rank high on personal lists for a while.

Hit in the face with the 9+ minute long opening masterpiece "Sacred World", I had to replay it for half an hour before being able to continue on with the rest of the album. Majestic orchestral intro, grand entrance killer riffs, and vocals to die for. The first thought that went through my head at that exact time "This is already better than the entire previous album". Hell, this is Blind Guardian with a renewed energy and a hint of progressive influences I only dreamt about in the past.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2010 | Comments (86)

Found in 93 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 222   Visited by: 2311 users
13.03.2010 - 23:10
Rating: 10
black_light_1985

I cant live without your songs come on please
----
I will miss you metal storm :((
14.03.2010 - 04:28
Hylia

Im excited for this one, I hope they do a world tour and come to north america
14.04.2010 - 22:01
Nicoline

BG has made me excited about this album with all the status updates they have on their FB site - sounds like it's going to be epic!
15.04.2010 - 10:49
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It is always epic when talking about BG
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.04.2010 - 21:10
Rating: 8
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
The second in a series of video clips featuring behind-the-scenes footage from the recording sessions for the new Blind Guardian album can be viewed at this location (the first one remains available here). The clip was recorded in November 2009 at the Twilight Hall studio and contains excerpts of the songs "A Voice in the Dark" (intro/outro) and "Wheel of Time" (demo version). Enjoy.
21.04.2010 - 01:12
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by White Winter Sun on 19.04.2010 at 21:10

The second in a series of video clips featuring behind-the-scenes footage from the recording sessions for the new Blind Guardian album can be viewed at this location (the first one remains available here). The clip was recorded in November 2009 at the Twilight Hall studio and contains excerpts of the songs "A Voice in the Dark" (intro/outro) and "Wheel of Time" (demo version). Enjoy.

thank you, sir
12.05.2010 - 11:06
qlacs
"The Quaker"
A Twist In The Myth's sound was too thin for me compared to previous album. I hope they fix it this time.
----
12.05.2010 - 16:01
Angel Of Mercy

Hope they at least play a UK show that isn't a damn festival!
----
Your time will come.
20.05.2010 - 15:07
qlacs
"The Quaker"
BG - At The Edge Of Time
MD - Wanderer On The Edge Of Time

----
24.05.2010 - 14:10
krystal-moon

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! Sooooooooo excited!!!!!!! And I know EXACTLY where I'm going to be at 20:00 on the 12th of October...Blind Guardian are FINALLY coming to Rome...YAAAAY!!!!!!!!
----
Take my last breath as I fall into Eternity
25.05.2010 - 23:12
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 24.05.2010 at 14:10

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! Sooooooooo excited!!!!!!! And I know EXACTLY where I'm going to be at 20:00 on the 12th of October...

You'll be trying to escape The Curse Of Feanor as you ride Into the Strom on this Journey Through the Dark in search of the Tommyknockers' Bright Eyes? :O ........... I'm just sayin'... that's what I'll be doing.

Anyway, I'm pumped for some new Blind Guardian. Hope it's better than their last!
26.05.2010 - 00:36
Lord_Regnier

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.05.2010 at 23:12

Hope it's better than their last!

Should not be too hard.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
26.05.2010 - 00:49
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.05.2010 at 00:36

Should not be too hard.

OH, YOU...
26.05.2010 - 00:51
Lord_Regnier

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 00:49

Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.05.2010 at 00:36

Should not be too hard.

OH, YOU...

I only meant that BG have made much better albums than ATITM in the past.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
26.05.2010 - 00:56
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.05.2010 at 00:51

I only meant that BG have made much better albums than ATITM in the past.

Oh yeah, I def agree. Their last album is BY FAR my least favorite of theirs.
26.05.2010 - 14:08
krystal-moon

Written by krystal-moon on 24.05.2010 at 14:10

You'll be trying to escape The Curse Of Feanor as you ride Into the Strom on this Journey Through the Dark in search of the Tommyknockers' Bright Eyes? :O ........... I'm just sayin'... that's what I'll be doing.

Anyway, I'm pumped for some new Blind Guardian. Hope it's better than their last!

No, no, no! You've got it ALL wrong:
I'll be Somewhere Far Beyond travelling to A Mourning Hall, to hear the Bard's Song of a Past and Future Secret and Imaginations from the Other Side. And I shall wait till he sings the Final Chapter, And the Story Ends.
Translated: I'll be going to Rome, from Siena with my best friend (bassist) and boyfriend (drummer), to head bang, smile, dream, laugh, cry while Blind Guardian weave their spell from the stage. I've waited 16 years to see them play live, and now I can hardly breathe I'm so excited!!!
Anyhow, I'm proud of you...you're crazier than I am...I think I'm in love

As for their last album...it hurt, physically, to hear them so...toned down (the only words that come to mind). To me it's like looking at a Cezanne with a layer of dust on the canvas: it could be beautiful, but the colours are just dead...
And now I hope their mid-metal life crisis is over and we can finally be swept into that world of magic again.
----
26.05.2010 - 16:46
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 26.05.2010 at 14:08

No, no, no! You've got it ALL wrong:
I'll be Somewhere Far Beyond travelling to A Mourning Hall, to hear the Bard's Song of a Past and Future Secret and Imaginations from the Other Side. And I shall wait till he sings the Final Chapter, And the Story Ends.

Ah! My mistake. You DO seem more like THAT type. XD

Sounds great that you're finally seeing one of your favorite bands live. Believe it or not, I have never been graced with Blind Guardian's presence in person. If I did go see them live sometime, I'd much rather see them Somewhere Far Beyond (like Rome) instead of here in the US. I like to think they have a much larger and more appreciative fanbase outside of the states. :l

Oh and about their last album... (To be less poetic than your opinion) It was like someone took a Blind Guardian album, farted all over it, and served it as an appetizer at a metal feast, not even a main course. Ironically, it was about as appetizing as eating a napkin. D: (... if any of that made sense) But eh, maybe ATITM was just the calm before the storm. (I really wish Blind Guardian had song with that name.)
26.05.2010 - 17:12
krystal-moon

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 16:46

Oh and about their last album... (To be less poetic than your opinion) It was like someone took a Blind Guardian album, farted all over it, and served it as an appetizer at a metal feast, not even a main course. Ironically, it was about as appetizing as eating a napkin. D: (... if any of that made sense)
----
26.05.2010 - 17:12
krystal-moon

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 16:46

Oh and about their last album... (To be less poetic than your opinion) It was like someone took a Blind Guardian album, farted all over it, and served it as an appetizer at a metal feast, not even a main course. Ironically, it was about as appetizing as eating a napkin. D: (... if any of that made sense)

Less poetic, but you sure as hell got the point across! You had me choke-laughing at that one!!!

How come you think BG would have a bigger crowd here than they do in the states? I'm honestly curious, never been, and haven't the slightest idea what the metal scene is like.

The Calm After the Storm would be a great BG song title, makes me think of something instrumental maybe, or very Past and Future Secretish. I'd go to their page and suggest that RIGHT NOW.
----
26.05.2010 - 17:15
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 26.05.2010 at 17:12

Having problems posting? XD
26.05.2010 - 17:26
krystal-moon

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 17:15

There has been an error in the Cerebral Post Office, and it appears that a package marked "To Fingers Department" has failed to reach its final destination.
Krys' Brain Staff apologises for any inconvenience.
----
26.05.2010 - 17:46
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 26.05.2010 at 17:26

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 17:15

There has been an error in the Cerebral Post Office, and it appears that a package marked "To Fingers Department" has failed to reach its final destination.
Krys' Brain Staff apologises for any inconvenience.

Well, it's alright. I've been there. I mean, it's a little messy, but it seems that her staff tries to keep things in order as much as possible.

How come you think BG would have a bigger crowd here than they do in the states? I'm honestly curious, never been, and haven't the slightest idea what the metal scene is like.

Well, I could go on for ages about the scene here, but I'll try and keep it short. Classic bands like Maiden and Priest have a pretty decent fanbase... just like anywhere else. There are a handful of power metal bands that have a decent fanbase (like Dragonforce and Nightwish). Thrash, Death, Black, and whatever else kind of metal have a very small underground fanbase. To sum it up, if you're not a metalcore band in the states, the support in the metal scene is pretty pathetic. Makes me

The Calm After the Storm would be a great BG song title, makes me think of something instrumental maybe, or very Past and Future Secretish. I'd go to their page and suggest that RIGHT NOW.

I said calm BEFORE the storm, but you gave me an idea with your post and it's mistake. How about an exciting, peaceful instrumental called Calm Before the Storm, then an epic called The Storm, and then an acoustic track called Calm After the Storm?! Sounds pretty epic if you ask me. :O
27.05.2010 - 01:21
krystal-moon

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 17:46

Well, I could go on for ages about the scene here, but I'll try and keep it short. Classic bands like Maiden and Priest have a pretty decent fanbase... just like anywhere else. There are a handful of power metal bands that have a decent fanbase (like Dragonforce and Nightwish). Thrash, Death, Black, and whatever else kind of metal have a very small underground fanbase. To sum it up, if you're not a metalcore band in the states, the support in the metal scene is pretty pathetic. Makes me

Wow, and here I was thinking the metal scene in the US could beat us Italians to a pulp any day! The only thing I maybe envy (if I got the right idea) is that people who like Power-ish Metal (or the less "dramatic" aspects of metal) are not looked down upon, while here, or at least in Rome, (that's where I grew up) it's considered sissy music between the metallers...I was actually punched by this behemoth cause I was 14 and liked Helloween (ok, to be fair I'm also Arabic and he's kinda Hitler's brother or something).

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 17:46

I said calm BEFORE the storm, but you gave me an idea with your post and it's mistake. How about an exciting, peaceful instrumental called Calm Before the Storm, then an epic called The Storm, and then an acoustic track called Calm After the Storm?! Sounds pretty epic if you ask me. :O

You see? Even my mistakes are intelligent...I'm just perfect, and you really can't deny it, so there...
Right...back to business; we need a plan here. I say you find me a golden see shell, and I'll look for a squid costume. Then we go grab Hansi and drag him into a recording studio in the middle of nowhere. We tell him we have a great idea about this major hit that will grab the metal world by its nose hairs, but that we'll give him the project in exchange for his voice. He has three days to write this masterpiece, and if he fails by sunset on the third day we'll turn him into a yapping, blonde, very bad copy of Britney Spears. We take his voice, then destroy all the recording studio's around the world, so he can't find a place to finish his work. You then get to keep his voice, become BG's new front man, and write the new Epic of the century (obviously I want half the money). I think it's a perfect plan...but that's just obvious...because well...you know...me...I invented the concept of perfection...ok I'm finished, I promise...I'll shut up now...zip..
----
27.05.2010 - 01:51
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 27.05.2010 at 01:21

Wow, and here I was thinking the metal scene in the US could beat us Italians to a pulp any day! The only thing I maybe envy (if I got the right idea) is that people who like Power-ish Metal (or the less "dramatic" aspects of metal) are not looked down upon, while here, or at least in Rome, (that's where I grew up) it's considered sissy music between the metallers...I was actually punched by this behemoth cause I was 14 and liked Helloween (ok, to be fair I'm also Arabic and he's kinda Hitler's brother or something).

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WAIT! You got *punched* because you liked *Helloween*? What kind of alternate reality do you live in? Narnia? :O I'm sorry, but that is the most absurd thing I've heard in a very long time. I find it pretty funny tbh. XD I mean, maybe he thought you were The Keeper of the Seven Keys, and he locked himself out... of... his... house... and... alright, I'll stop that lame joke right there. D: Anyhoo, that's pretty ridiculous (as if I haven't enforced this point enough). I think in order for people over here to consider power metal offensively sissy, other genres would have to be more popular. In fact, I didn't even *know* what power metal was until high school (Thanks to a random Blind Guardian album I bought). I'm sorry to hear of such prejudices from these Italian Metal Nazis.

Written by krystal-moon on 27.05.2010 at 01:21

You see? Even my mistakes are intelligent...I'm just perfect, and you really can't deny it, so there...
Right...back to business; we need a plan here. I say you find me a golden see shell, and I'll look for a squid costume. Then we go grab Hansi and drag him into a recording studio in the middle of nowhere. We tell him we have a great idea about this major hit that will grab the metal world by its nose hairs, but that we'll give him the project in exchange for his voice. He has three days to write this masterpiece, and if he fails by sunset on the third day we'll turn him into a yapping, blonde, very bad copy of Britney Spears. We take his voice, then destroy all the recording studio's around the world, so he can't find a place to finish his work. You then get to keep his voice, become BG's new front man, and write the new Epic of the century (obviously I want half the money). I think it's a perfect plan...but that's just obvious...because well...you know...me...I invented the concept of perfection...ok I'm finished, I promise...I'll shut up now...zip..

Holy shit. That was epic. XD I... I'm not gonna even TRY and top that story/plan. I mean, it's just way to perfect. One thing though... It seems unfair that I become the frontman for Blind Guardian when you don't get a place in the band. Tell you what... If this works out... You can wear the squid suit ON STAGE and be BG's new mascot! :O!!! E'rybody's a winnah! >:[
27.05.2010 - 16:00
krystal-moon

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 01:51

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WAIT! You got *punched* because you liked *Helloween*? What kind of alternate reality do you live in? Narnia? :O I'm sorry, but that is the most absurd thing I've heard in a very long time. I find it pretty funny tbh. XD I mean, maybe he thought you were The Keeper of the Seven Keys, and he locked himself out... of... his... house... and... alright, I'll stop that lame joke right there. D: Anyhoo, that's pretty ridiculous (as if I haven't enforced this point enough). I think in order for people over here to consider power metal offensively sissy, other genres would have to be more popular. In fact, I didn't even *know* what power metal was until high school (Thanks to a random Blind Guardian album I bought). I'm sorry to hear of such prejudices from these Italian Metal Nazis.

Funny? Absobloominlutely hilarious is more like it! They guy was a complete nut case. I remember a group of us younger kids started meeting in another square in Rome just to avoid him. He ended up following us, then he hit the jackpot: he found an Indian kid who actually looked Indian (I don't look like your Arabic stereotype, I'm a whiter shade of pale). The trouble was that little Subash (Indian kid) had very big Gabriele for a best friend...to cut a long story short, it didn't go very well for Nutcase, and after that we never saw him again. But yeah, one of my front teeth still remembers the whole thing very clearly, including the visit to the dentist, and the bunch of lies about falling down a flight of stairs...

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 01:51

Holy shit. That was epic. XD I... I'm not gonna even TRY and top that story/plan. I mean, it's just way to perfect. One thing though... It seems unfair that I become the frontman for Blind Guardian when you don't get a place in the band. Tell you what... If this works out... You can wear the squid suit ON STAGE and be BG's new mascot! :O!!! E'rybody's a winnah! >:[

Ha! Love it! We could even give the whole thing an "Under the See" theme...Yapping Blonde Hansi can play the little mermaid, you need to be the crab and...ok...I've got a feeling we better cut it out before Lucas shuts the whole discussion down ...Lucas please don't give up on the two of us, the doctors are trying ever so hard, they still believe there is hope...we'll be good, promise...
----
27.05.2010 - 17:47
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 27.05.2010 at 16:00

...ok...I've got a feeling we better cut it out before Lucas shuts the whole discussion down ...Lucas please don't give up on the two of us, the doctors are trying ever so hard, they still believe there is hope...we'll be good, promise...

Indeed, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Things usually tend to float off topic when I'm involved. I can't help it, but really... what else would you expect from a cat as sassy as me? :O
27.05.2010 - 19:12
krystal-moon

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 17:47

Indeed, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Things usually tend to float off topic when I'm involved. I can't help it, but really... what else would you expect from a cat as sassy as me? :O

I know exactly what you mean, you purple, fuzzy Cheshire Cat!
My brain is constantly floating to new realms of total absurdity, and the only topic I never deviate from is absolute nonsense; there, my friend, you'll find I'm am most eloquent and, dare I say, fashionable.
But really...how off topic can you go when discussing an album that isn't even out yet?
----
27.05.2010 - 19:45
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 27.05.2010 at 19:12

I know exactly what you mean, you purple, fuzzy Cheshire Cat!
My brain is constantly floating to new realms of total absurdity, and the only topic I never deviate from is absolute nonsense; there, my friend, you'll find I'm am most eloquent and, dare I say, fashionable.
But really...how off topic can you go when discussing an album that isn't even out yet?

It's "Nomcat", missy. That's what I do... Nom on all kinds of stoofs. See the title under my username? :O

And yeah, but my brain doesn't float to the realm of absurdity. It has built a home there and dwells in the land of imagination, absent-mindedness and obscurity. Also, it's married to ridiculousness. You may know her. She comes into play whenever he's awake. You'll have to excuse her... She can get a bit out of hand sometimes.

But myeah, Blind Guardian for the... win?.. just... uh... staying on topic here. D:
27.05.2010 - 20:26
krystal-moon

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 27.05.2010 at 19:45

It's "Nomcat", missy. That's what I do... Nom on all kinds of stoofs. See the title under my username? :O

And yeah, but my brain doesn't float to the realm of absurdity. It has built a home there and dwells in the land of imagination, absent-mindedness and obscurity. Also, it's married to ridiculousness. You may know her. She comes into play whenever he's awake. You'll have to excuse her... She can get a bit out of hand sometimes.

But myeah, Blind Guardian for the... win?.. just... uh... staying on topic here. D:

Oh this is going to end in marriage, albeit an awful one! The Nomcat and his Whiskurious (that's another nick I've had for a while).
I believe you've just saved this discussion by using words like "land of imagination" and "obscurity"...very Blind Guardian.

Oh well, ridiculousness and I have been friends for ages, you may have noticed.

Uuuh, right...GO BLIND GUARDIAN!!! YAAAY!!!! YEEPPY-EFFEN-DOOO! Up the Blinds, we need some sunlight in here... (and after that one she goes and digs a hole in her mattress, pulls up the covers and hopes nobody will notice.)
----
27.05.2010 - 20:33
Fat & Sassy!

Written by krystal-moon on 27.05.2010 at 20:26

Oh this is going to end in marriage, albeit an awful one! The Nomcat and his Whiskurious (that's another nick I've had for a while).

Whiskurious? XD I like that.

Written by krystal-moon on 27.05.2010 at 20:26

Uuuh, right...GO BLIND GUARDIAN!!! YAAAY!!!! YEEPPY-EFFEN-DOOO! Up the Blinds, we need some sunlight in here...

Pffthahaha! XD!!! THAT... was pretty awesome. *high-fives* You win, ma'am. Oh ho, I do say...

Hits total: 57286 | This month: 53