+ Sacred Worlds [video]
+ A Journey To The Edge Of Time (Studio Documentary) [video]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 12
Featured in "Getting Into: Blind Guardian"

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The bards have come out of the forest. Yes, the Blind Guardians are back baby! And did they ever do it in style. Surely one of the year's most anticipated albums, At The Edge Of Time is sure to rank high on personal lists for a while.

Hit in the face with the 9+ minute long opening masterpiece "Sacred World", I had to replay it for half an hour before being able to continue on with the rest of the album. Majestic orchestral intro, grand entrance killer riffs, and vocals to die for. The first thought that went through my head at that exact time "This is already better than the entire previous album". Hell, this is Blind Guardian with a renewed energy and a hint of progressive influences I only dreamt about in the past.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2010 | Comments (86)

Found in 93 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 8

Comments: 222   Visited by: 2308 users
31.07.2010 - 00:49
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by timgrimes on 31.07.2010 at 00:21

How good is this album really? i listened to the 3 songs offered online and I was not impressed, doesn't look like anything new from BG to me. Please prove me wrong and lets see how good these guys are on this project of theirs.

if you didnt like those 3, you most likely wont enjoy the album
31.07.2010 - 01:41
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Those thinking this is the album of the year should broaden their horizons a bit ._.

that being said, this album is great. I need more listens, but right now it's either an 8 or a 9, which hasn't happened to me for a while for a Power Metal album.

I'm so happy that there's a song for the epic Wheel Of Time series instead of the usual Tolkein, better still, the track totally rocks
----
loves 小巫
31.07.2010 - 09:39
Rating: 10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Ellrohir on 30.07.2010 at 11:49

It leaked, so this evening will be great

Couldn't agree with you more.
31.07.2010 - 09:40
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
It's cool!
31.07.2010 - 09:47
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 30.07.2010 at 17:29

Didn't expect this to beat ReKreatur. But meh, don't care about those ratings, I'll give it a listen myself and decide.

You should, you should!
31.07.2010 - 10:57
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

Didn't expect this to beat ReKreatur.

i like Equilibrium too, but...*facepalm* to this statement...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.07.2010 - 11:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ellrohir on 31.07.2010 at 10:57

Didn't expect this to beat ReKreatur.

i like Equilibrium too, but...*facepalm* to this statement...

Where did I suggest I liked the album?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.07.2010 - 20:10
Anibx

Written by Bad English on 30.07.2010 at 19:04

I cant say much about it, its not disapointment, because we aready know thay never be like was in 1th 3 albums. Its not so bad how last one, but not ideal to, its so so album, whit 3 good songs, others bad, only whats from true real BG is Hans voice, otherwise its be total crap, but I wopnt buy it, I doubt I go watch band live, I stick whit classics till and encluding Nightfall

I got a question, why do you even bother listen to new music? I mean, you allready know you don't going to like it, right? I see you comment on every new release and you say the same thing "no that good as the first albums" so be happy man, listen to classic and don't stress yourself.

I don't know what to make of this album. It sound good but I need more spin to make a judge.
31.07.2010 - 20:13
Rating: 5
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anibx on 31.07.2010 at 20:10

Written by Bad English on 30.07.2010 at 19:04

I cant say much about it, its not disapointment, because we aready know thay never be like was in 1th 3 albums. Its not so bad how last one, but not ideal to, its so so album, whit 3 good songs, others bad, only whats from true real BG is Hans voice, otherwise its be total crap, but I wopnt buy it, I doubt I go watch band live, I stick whit classics till and encluding Nightfall

I got a question, why do you even bother listen to new music? I mean, you allready know you don't going to like it, right? I see you comment on every new release and you say the same thing "no that good as the first albums" so be happy man, listen to classic and don't stress yourself.

I don't know what to make of this album. It sound good but I need more spin to make a judge.

Im not stresed at all and I was curiuss how this will sound
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.07.2010 - 21:17
RavenKing

Written by Anibx on 31.07.2010 at 20:10

I can't answer for Bad english but I can talk for myself. The reason I still check new albums, even though most of the time I'm sure in advance it won't beat the earlier material, is you never know. I mean, most bands improve for a time until they start to decline, so it's logical to expect you won't like the new material as much as the old but you can't be entirely sure. Sometimes (very rarely, but still) we have positive surprises.
I never expect something great when band members are around 35 year old or more, however. I have a theory that metal music, as far as performing and writing songs, is not made for people over 40.
And I never expect anything good from bands who took the downward spiral long ago (but in this case chances are high I won't even bother to waste my time checking the new material).

Concerning old vs new albums from metal bands, it's not a matter of being 'kvlt' or whatever but I nearly always prefer material that has been made in the 80s or 90s to something released after 2000.
I don't like the current metal scene and think it is overloaded by crap. And I hate the direction metal took in the last decade, as far as production goes. It sounds synthesized, artificial, fake and unsincere.
Soulless and boring.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.07.2010 - 21:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Ok, so far i like "Ride Into Obsession", "War Of The Thrones" and especially "Curse My Name"...and i think with more listening, more favorites will appear
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.07.2010 - 21:49
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

Wwwwwaiting until the American release is PAINFUL.
31.07.2010 - 21:51
RavenKing

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 31.07.2010 at 21:49

Wwwwwaiting until the American release is PAINFUL.

Order it online.
----
31.07.2010 - 22:53
giok99

Great great album, already listen to it three times, and Wheel of Time, A voice in the Dark and Ride into Obsession are my favorite. The whole album is awsome. Best buy of the year.
----
Nothing is real
31.07.2010 - 23:07
Pazu

I just finished listening to it. Overall it was pretty good, but I expected a bit more of it, to be honest. The pacing of the album was generally quite fast, which isn't a bad thing, but I would have appreciated one or two slower tracks. Besides "A Voice In the Dark", there is nothing really outstanding imo. I'd have given this ablum a 7.5 if I had been able to, but this way I went for the 8.
31.07.2010 - 23:17
Vikcen
Metálico
Today I bought the album at last. And only I've heard the first three songs. At the moment the first song has not convinced me (bored me). And I get the feeling that they have wanted to do a kind of Nightfall In Middle-Earth, but badly. Let's see what happens when I have heard the whole album, and more times... .
01.08.2010 - 06:12
worm_is_gloaming

Written by Angelic Storm on 30.07.2010 at 21:06

I still havent heard it yet...I dunno whether to listen to the leak or not.

Same dilemma here! Having the complete package and lyric booklet will put any album in its own artistic and aesthetic context for proper amount of enjoyment, but the question is of course self-control
01.08.2010 - 07:23
bard

It's much more listenable than their previous, but still...not quite thrashy enough to make me climax.
----
01.08.2010 - 11:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by worm_is_gloaming on 01.08.2010 at 06:12
Same dilemma here! Having the complete package and lyric booklet will put any album in its own artistic and aesthetic context for proper amount of enjoyment, but the question is of course self-control

Totally agree!

I have so far managed to resist the temptation to listen to it. lol I'll be buying the album in the next day or two, so I'll give my opinion on it then.
01.08.2010 - 13:12
qlacs
"The Quaker"
BG may not sound like in the "old times" and never be as classic as on Imaginations or A Night At The Opera (for some who prefer Nightfall In Middle Earth insert that here too) but still can deliver new things (Sacred Worlds for example) and tune you on the feeling of old albums like Somewhere Far Beyond. To me this album very similar to their older stuff (Imaginations and before) - fast songs, little epic melodies with a few background instruments, catchy choruses; though the sound is new so it may take time to discover this. At first 2 listening my rating was somewhere between 7-8, only on the 5th listen earned 8 or a bit more on me. Very good album, give it some time.
----
01.08.2010 - 13:40
Vikcen
Metálico
The same here, I had to restrain to listen any song before buy it.

I've heard the whole album two times, and for now, I think a disc without great melodies (instrumentally and sung), very uniform in this sense, without great moments, without great choruses, melodies that go unnoticed, without impact, without force, and the disc is too slow, without rhythm (definitely i miss Thomas Stauch with the battery) A boring album.

For now the album is a bit disappointing for me, the worst disc for me at the moment, and by far.

Ummm i like Tanelorn (Into the void) ... I'll keep listening .
01.08.2010 - 21:23
BlankFile

So far from what i´ve heard of this CD, i think its a bit faster and less mid-tempo than their previous release ATITM. After 3 listenings the album is growing on me in a good rythm! At the moment i have 3 favourite songs that already blew my mind: "Sacred Worlds", "Tanelorn (Into the Void)" and my favourite of all so far " A Voice in the Dark" really spectacular song! The chorus is so fucking amazing! |m|
01.08.2010 - 23:11
farfaramir

Good one, a good surprise for me... I didn't spect anything of this album and I was wrong, well done Blind Guardian.
02.08.2010 - 06:50
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by qlacs on 01.08.2010 at 13:12

though the sound is new so it may take time to discover this.

Until now, I only had listened the disc in my pc (Logitech 5.1, SoundMax) But since i have listened the album in my car (and well syntonized) my opinion has changed. It's curious, but this have happened me with all the blind guardian records, his records improves a lot if i listen it in the car (At the edge of time: treble +6, bass -4), for me the best place to listen music, is where it sounds better. Here I could listen all the melodies neatly , which there is behind the sound.

In a few words, I have discovered the sound of the album. Really great production , a disc very elaborate, difficult and complex, many times creating a symbiosis between the music of Blind Guardian and the orchestra really amazing (to give a couple of examples: Road Of No Release with the piano, faithful friend accompanying music masterfully from beginning to end. Or Curse My Name, with the flute. And obviously Sacred Worlds and Wheel Of Time, where the orchestra is protagonist really), demonstrating that they have worked hard to create such piece. It is true that the disc has something of each of his previous albums (a strategy similar to Metallica's Death Magnetic), in my opinion, this album is between the Nightfall In Middle-Earth and At Night Of The Opera, and something of ATITM . With this kind of music so recharged, it's worth syntonizing the sound in conditions, with a good equipment of music and with high volume, so you can appreciate this album in all its splendor.

For now, my favorites songs are: Tanelorn (Into The Void), Valkyries and Ride Into Obsession.
02.08.2010 - 11:09
elseif

Nice album!

Sacred Worlds feels magic, Tanelorn is cool too!
02.08.2010 - 16:20
Sword_Chant

I've listened to it enough times now to get fully into it. I like the majority of the songs, for me the only disappointment in the album is 'Valkyries'.

I don't know if anyone else gets this too? For me the fact it's put right in the middle of the album makes it seem never-ending. And it just seems less inspired than some of the first songs. If they gave that song something more, i'd have rated this album 10.
03.08.2010 - 01:42
opeth771

This is SO MUCH better than "A Twist In The Myth" which I absolutely hated. BG have finally came back to their roots!
03.08.2010 - 02:51
Anibx

Road of No Release have the same intro as The Bard's Song (In the Forest) but with piano. Just for that I should give they a 5, for lack of originality.
03.08.2010 - 04:33
RavenKing

I listened to all the songs today. I really don't dig their style after IFTOS. There's only 2-3 songs I moderately liked and only in parts, among the new ones. There's not a single song I like from start to end. What I so dislike is they have to put those fucking soft breaks in every song since NIME, even the uptempo ones. It destroys the pace and make the songs boring.

I'm currently listening to "Majesty" on Youtube just to hear the difference and there's a comment saying "This is speed metal not power. You can tell by it actually being good".
It might be a simplistic shortcut, but I can see where the guy is coming from.
----
03.08.2010 - 16:58
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by RavenKing on 03.08.2010 at 04:33

I listened to all the songs today. I really don't dig their style after IFTOS. There's only 2-3 songs I moderately liked and only in parts, among the new ones. There's not a single song I like from start to end. What I so dislike is they have to put those fucking soft breaks in every song since NIME, even the uptempo ones. It destroys the pace and make the songs boring.

I'm currently listening to "Majesty" on Youtube just to hear the difference and there's a comment saying "This is speed metal not power. You can tell by it actually being good".
It might be a simplistic shortcut, but I can see where the guy is coming from.

ah, yeah they did used to be SPEED metal ... and this album has brought us a little closer to those glory days....thrashy, aggressive .... mostly a thing of the past for these old-timers.

I happen to like what they do now, too, though

Hits total: 57210 | This month: 59